Best Actor Oscar 2014

Tools    

Which performance will be named Best Actor?
8.33%
3 votes
CHRISTIAN BALE, American Hustle
11.11%
4 votes
BRUCE DERN, Nebraska
27.78%
10 votes
LEONARDO DiCAPRIO, The Wolf of Wall Street
13.89%
5 votes
CHIWETEL EJOFOR, 12 Years A Slave
38.89%
14 votes
MATTHEW McCONAUGHEY, Dallas Buyers Club
36 votes. You may not vote on this poll

Ten days until the Oscar winners are revealed. Still seems to be McConaughey's to lose.

The Academy has started doing this questionaire with the nominees, asking them four questions: 1) How did you hear about your nominations?, 2) What is your first movie memory?, 3) What artists inspire you?, and most abstractly 4) Why do you do what you do? Bruce Dern's is fun (still hoping he'll somehow win)...

Oh, now this is cool. Please tell me more of them are out there.

EDIT: Nevermind, found them

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
It may not win an oscar, but I thought Di Caprio's performance in Wolf of Wall Street was his personal best. Often when I see a movie with Di Caprio in I think 'Oh look, there's Di Caprio in a movie' whereas with this film I only saw Jordan Belfort. It probably helped that he wasn't required to be too serious.

Chiwetel Ejiofor is always good, I've been a fan of his for a while and I'd like to see him win. I thought he gave a good performance in what will probably be the winning film.

Christian Bale I don't think is as deserving as the others.

I haven't managed to see the other two films just yet.

I think American hustle isn't a great movie, Leonardo di Caprio is an excellent actor! He wronged very few movies in his career, but I haven't seen 12 years slave yet!
I heard that it's very nice

Well I've now seen all five nominated performances and I still think McConaughey will take it and deservedly so. If DiCaprio manages an upset that would be great, too. Actually the only nominee that would upset me if he won is Bale. I really can't stand the guy in general and I don't think American Hustle was an exceptional performance from him.

I dunno, between Dallas Buyers Club and True Detective (where he kills it), this might just be the Year of McConaughey.
Agree. McConaughey has had an unbelieveable year. No doubt he made a deal with the devil. Easily my pick for best actor Oscar.

I am burdened with glorious purpose
I admit to not seeing Wolf of Wall Street (I have no desire to watch an immoral man have fun at other people's expense), but I'm hearing Leo could pull this out.

Really? Over Chiwetal Ejiofor (what a name!) and Matthew? Why? Because he hasn't won? This is one of those kind of Oscars?

So, does the Academy like the man who remade himself (Matthew) or the guy that hasn't won?

You know, I LOVE Dallas Buyer's Club. That is one of my favorites of the year. But, in a way, Matthew is playing himself -- that country guy with the Texas twang. Yet… I really want him to win.

Can Leo really pull this out?

I admit to not seeing Wolf of Wall Street (I have no desire to watch an immoral man have fun at other people's expense), but I'm hearing Leo could pull this out.

Really? Over Chiwetal Ejiofor (what a name!) and Matthew? Why? Because he hasn't won? This is one of those kind of Oscars?
Because it was one hell of a performance.

Dallas Buyers Club is a great movie, my third favorite of the year (behind Her and The Wolf of Wall Street), and McConaughey absolutely deserves to win, but if DiCaprio gets it, I assure you it will be no consolation prize for him not winning previous nominations.

Okay, Miss Vicky, I'll take your word for it. I gather I will watch the film one day on TV so that if I cannot stand the excess, I'll turn it off.

BTW, I loved Leo in Shutter Island and Inception, so it's not like he shouldn't have an Oscar on his mantlepiece.

One wonders, though, if the Academy will reward him for playing such an awful character. I always enjoy discussing the psychology of the Academy even if it is all b***sh*t (as William Goldman said)

Do you think only "good" characters should win Oscars?

I don't think the decision should be based on the morality of the character. It shouldn't even be a factor taken into consideration. Leo gave an amazing performance and proved his range by showing considerable comedic chops.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I don't think DiCaprio has a shot.

Actually, if any surprise were to happen, I think it would come from Dern. But this is McConnaugheys.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

I don't think the decision should be based on the morality of the character. It shouldn't even be a factor taken into consideration. Leo gave an amazing performance and proved his range by showing considerable comedic chops.
The only bad characters I remember in the past 25 years is Anthony Hopkins and Javier Bardem.

Ok, maybe I should explain my thinking.

Leo isn't playing a typical villain, he is playing an actual man who is still alive and is not remorseful for his actions. He destroyed people's lives and he's still hanging out enjoying life.

So…. all I'm theorizing is, do you think that can play a role? Also, the film itself has been criticized for it's seeming lack of compassion for his victims. I'm just wondering if that hurts his chances.

So, no, I don't think only "good" characters win, but, when we also think about villainous characters winning, it's usually because they chewed up the scenery. (For Hopkins, literally, lol.)

The movie is a comedy, not a drama, not a cautionary tale or morality play. I don't see much place for that remorse. And again, this is about rewarding the man who gave the performance. Not about rewarding the real person that inspired that performance.

In any case, I think it's pretty much a given that McConaughey will take this. But I think DiCaprio's the only one with any real shot at pulling off an upset.

Miss Vicky, seriously, a comedy about a man who destroyed people's lives?

No wonder people dislike this movie. Sorry, I see you liked it, but that just bothers me.

And again, I'm engaging in playing out what the Academy might think. That's part of the fun of predictions.

After watching Nebraska I kind of want Bruce Dern to win, him or McConaughey who deserves it for all the excellent stuff he has done in the past few years.

I think people need to actually watch movies/performances before they judge them.
Wow. I think you are missing my point. I'm talking about trying to predict who will win, knowing the Academy is made up of a bunch of people like you and me. And we know that things like this can play a role. There has been controversy over this film since it came out.

But, ok, you love the film and Leo's performance. I think it's great you are so passionate about it.

OTOH, I also have an emotional reaction -- I find the subject of this film abhorrent.

I don't think you can really make an accurate prediction (which is itself a judgement) without having seen the performances.

Also, there's been controversy over Dallas Buyers Club as well.