Any slow-paced movies?

Tools    

I'm looking for movies that are slow-paced and calm in nature. Not a whole lot of action or violence. A plus for ones that take place in rural areas. Examples to me are Brokeback Mountain and Fargo (but without the heavy violence). Any ideas? Thanks.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
You want slow paced and rural/nature?

Amazing film, that one.

I don't think it is exactly a slow paced film, but I guess Stalker is, to some degree, applicable. Peter Weir's The Way Back is a patient film set in the desolate Siberian landscape. Kurosawa's Dersu Uzala is another one. Again, I don't find it to be slow film, per-se, but there's various scenes in the stark openness and it relies moreso on imagery than dialogue.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
The films of Apichatpong Weerasethakul feel like meditation to me. Slow, calm, personal and regenerative. His four best features are:
Blissfully Yours

Tropical Malady

Syndromes and a Century

Uncle Boonmee Who Recalls His Past Lives

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Yeah, watch Weerasethakul! A monk who wants to be a DJ and a fish raping a woman in the lake... only to be found in Thai cinema! xD

I have to see more myself. Only seen two except for shorts.

Thought he lost everything,then he lost a whole lot more.
If you do not mind watching foreign films then "Once upon a time in Anatolia" is quite slow paced and rural.

That Uncle Boonmee movie has been advertised so heavily on this forum, that when I finally see it, in all likelihood I will despise it.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
My Neighbor Totoro

The Searchers
There are a few shoot out scenes here and there but overall it's a pretty slow movie. Also, it's rated PG so none of the violence is particularly graphic.

The Straight Story.
^This^

My Own Private Idaho

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

Anne Of Green Gables

Babe

Charlotte's Web (1973/2006)

The Bridges Of Madison Country

A River Runs Through It

Steel Magnolias

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
That Uncle Boonmee movie has been advertised so heavily on this forum, that when I finally see it, in all likelihood I will despise it.
I recommend starting with a different Weerasethakul film.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
Some others:

Sling Blade - this is set in a rural Southern town, but there is a beautiful degree of stillness and humanity to it. Not only Thornton's greatest achievement as an actor/director, but one of the best American films of the last thirty years.

Fires on the Plain - this film is set in the dismal and gloomy landscape of a war-broken Japan. A very grim and haunting piece.

Badlands - hardly slow, but it is such a simple and moody tale set in a relatively rural and desolate American town.

The Return - one of the most Tarkvosky-like films out there. A tender and haunting coming-of-age story, told in a remote and secluded island. Absolutely gorgeous photography.

I thought the movie into the wild was a really good slow paced movie. The cinematography is great they get a lot of great shots of beautiful areas all throughout the United States. The story is pretty good as well, I personally kinda hated the kid and thought he was dumb.

There's one scene when hes talking to Vince Vaughn in the bar and says something about hypocrite and parents and I just crack up.

Anyways its a beautiful movie basically.

These are from the past handful of years...

Passenger Side (2009)

Old Joy (2006)

Wendy & Lucy (2008)

Ballast (2008)

Goodbye Solo (2008)

The Kid with a Bike (2011)

Revanche (2008)

Small Town Murder Songs (2010)

Terribly Happy (2010)

Eldorado (2008)

The Necessities of Life (2008)

Boy (2010)

O'Horten (2008)

Schultze Gets the Blues (2003)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Ghost In The Machine
How about The Turin Horse (2011)

Rural and definitely not fast paced - although I wouldn't call it calm in nature!