Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Only God Forgives.

I was really looking forward to this, maybe too much, it could have been so much better. Not a patch on Drive and although Gosling didnt do much it that either, he done a whole lot more than in this. Wasnt even that violent either.
Are you sure you watched Only God Forgives?

Before Sunrise, Before Sunset & Before Midnight.

Great trilogy, simple storyline but I loved the actors.
+

I watched Hitchcock for the first time last night and I found the film to be immensely enjoyable; however, the movie probably won't make it into my top two-hundred any time soon. What I liked about this film was the writing. Basically, John J. McLaughlin adapted the book Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho into a feature film screenplay; yet he did it in such a way that captures the audience's attention and leaves them guessing for more. The directing too was excellent. There were a few moments where I was wondering why the director, Sacha Gervasi, executed certain techniques, but if you overlook these minor flaws, you can definitely perceive what an excellent job he did on the film. Finally, the amazing Anthony Hopkins portrays Alfred Hitchcock and, once again, delivers a stunning performance. I don't think there's any roll Hopkins can't play exceedingly well. If it weren't for Hopkins, I'm not sure the film wouldn't be as powerful as it is.

Limelight (1952)

This was the last 'important' Chaplin film I still had to see and naturally I loved it. It's also worth watching for one of the last scenes, where Keaton has a short appearance. The two legends even have a sketch together!

+

Finished here. It's been fun.

Singin' in the Rain- What do I think of this picture?

It is irresistible.
+

Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989)

Hardcore sh*t. I give it
-, for now, thanks to it's brutality and visual aggressiveness. Think of Eraserhead meets Videodrome but without any finesse.
I saw that recently. That and House are probably the two weirdest movies I've ever seen. Except I really liked Tetsuo.

Unregistered User
Are you sure you watched Only God Forgives?
Yeah, im sure. Maybe bit of an exaggeration but i had heard of people walking out of the cinema due to its violent content?! Hell, it wasnt even the most violent movie I watched that day!

Unregistered User
Superb night of film:-

Cache (Hidden)

Michael Haneke at his best. A married couple get some unwanted attention through someone posting video's and deranged drawings to them. Some amazing scenes including the very last shot outside the school completely blew my mind.

9/10

Solaris (1972)
Loved it. I wasnt totally sure i would as i wasnt keen on Tarkovskys Stalker but this was really good. Not as good as 2001 but i'm delighted i watched it and has given me a bit more faith in Tarkovsky.

Citizen of Werewolfville
The Mad Room (1969) Obscure little thriller, starring Shelley Winters as wealthy widow and Stella Stevens as her secretary and future daughter-in-law, seemingly belongs to the "grande-dame-guignol" genre. Actually it´s more a traditional whodunit with supposedly twisted (in fact, silly and very predictable) ending and just a few of these grotesque grande guignol moments. The plot revolves around Stevens´ teenage nephew and niece, who spent the last twelve years in a mental institution after they were suspected of the brutal murder of their parents. Now they are going to live with the two ladies mentioned above and it does not take long before a new murder is commited. Winters, who was the main reason for my interest in this film, spend less time in it than i hoped. The rest of the cast was unfortuantelly far behind her in terms of charisma and in some cases somewhat unsuitable for their parts. Especially Barbara Sammeth, who played Stevens´ 16 year old niece and actually looked like 30-something woman trying to play a naive half-child. Which was creepy, but not in the right way. 4/10

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide

Midnight Run (1988, Martin Brest)

An endlessly entertaining blast, thanks in large part to its magnetic and charismatic screen presence, offered exclusively by the great Robert De Niro and Charles Grodin. Cogently written and directed, this film never caused any ennui or indifference from where I was sitting. It was exceedingly consistent and well-paced throughout, not to mention having a tuneful soundtrack and some quotable dialogue. I just sat back, switched the brain off after a long week and had fun with it - exactly what Brest's film was designed to do. It also demonstrates that De Niro, if given the proper material, can transcend remarkably well in the comedy genre. Sure, it is no masterpiece, but if one is seeking fun, almost in the veins of Planes, Trains and Automobiles meets Sideways with a bit of shooting and car chasing in between, look no further than this.

I think it's hard to switch back and forth from action to comedy effectively. Midnight Run is one of the best at doing it.

Martin Brest directed another movie that does that very well-Beverly Hills Cop.

For now it's just that because I didn't understand half of the film (The dvd I got didn't have subtitles and the accent is very pronounced) It was visually beautiful and I'm sure I'll like it more when I'll be able to find the criterion edition.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I had actually expected this review to come in much shorter but it kind of kept growing. Decided to still post it here as opposed to my reviews thread, though I might still post it there as well, especially if I work a little more on it

Well as I threatened to do I have indeed put some further work into my American Hustle review and posted it in my Movie Musings thread for anyone interested

American Hustle review - The Director's Cut

Whether it's added anything significant to the revew or not I don't know. There's also a review for Dallas Buyers Club there as well if interested

In other words, if you think you can pick up more reps if you repost this in your thread, you'll do it, right?

I would probably rep it again anyways, because it was an excellent review.
I'll hold you to that Mr Donuts!