Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
I just watched Dario Argento's Dracula.

It was bad but I couldn't stop laughing, especially at the part where Dracula turns into a giant praying mantis and stabs a guy in the chest (I'm not putting spoiler because they revealed this in the trailer). So while it was really bad, at least it was entertaining.

1.5/5

I watched Dallas Buyers Club on Sunday night. I thought the movie was above average. It did tend to get slightly sloppy in sections. For instance, the director, Jean-Marc Vallee, used captioning toward the end of the film to explain what happened in the story, but thirty seconds hadn't even passed before he did it again. This type of sloppiness was the only type of flaw I found in the movie. Dallas Buyers Club had a phenomenal performance from Matthew McConaughey and a bordering-spectacular performance from Jared Leto. If you haven't seen this movie, I'd recommend watching to see for yourself what a great actor Matthew McConaughey has become. I was utterly shocked when I saw it.

Unregistered User

American Graffiti.
Set in 1962 shows what a group of teenagers get up to the night before they head off to college. Really good performances from Charles Smith and especially Dreyfuss. Also, an absolutely outstanding soundtrack in this movie directed by Lucas. It'll feature high in my 70's list.

9/10

The Toxic Avenger.
Great fun! Im definately seeking more Tromaville. Also if Minio is reading this, that dancing scene was hilarious!!

8/10

Ils (Them) (2006)

Decent enough horror movie thats fairly short in length. If you like home invasion movies then give it a go, if not then i probably wouldnt bother.

6/10

Gravity - Yep. Awesome. A little sentimental towards the end, but it didn't really detract from the rest of the movie. It's probably the best looking picture I've ever seen.

Grave of the Firefiles - My guts have been kicked out again. Superb. Distressing. Sad. brilliant.

RoboCop - 6/10. Good in bits, but lacking a lot of direction and purpose. Political and ethical comments were good - especially about the Patriot Act, but as for the lead role itself, it is misguided and unfocused. More like RoboDad than RoboCop.

Unregistered User

The Hills have Eyes (1977)
Good horror from Craven, i think i preferred the remake but nonetheless i thought it was well made with decent acting.

6.5/10

House on haunted hill (1959)
Entertaining, claustrophobic horror with a few twists. Apart from the skeleton scene i thought it stood the test of time well.

6/10

Just watched 2 Guns. Really enjoyed it. Was predictable but did make me laugh a few times and generally was a good watch. Nothing amazing but far from a disaster. 7/10

Twitter: @MandFReviews

Kakarot89: The Infamous Thread Killer
Escape from LA

Not as good as NY but still an entertaining B-movie.

"her" - Totally "Lost "her" in Translation" Almost nothing I liked about this movie. Are all men really going to be wearing ridiculously ugly high-waisted pants in the near future?
That's what you took away from it? Too bad for you.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Usually I just save these for my Micro Musings in my own thread but what the hell

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Douglas Trumbull

Starring
Christopher Walken
Natalie Wood
Louise Fletcher
Cliff Robertson
Joe Dorsey

Brainstorm

+

While it may have its limitations and its flaws, this slice of 80s sci-fi is just about able to overcome those issues with the end result being a rather intriguing one. The technology at the heart of its plot allows the film to address some interesting issues and look at some interesting questions, including the biggest questions of all such as what happens when you die and is there an afterlife. Despite its 1983 release date the film still feels very much like a product of the 70s, from both its aesthetic to its narrative which is informed by the conspiracy and anti-establishment sentiments that were so prevalent during both that decade and its films. The latter occurs when the technology in question is exploited by the military for purposes of warfare, raising ethical questions about its use.

I found Brainstorm to have a slightly ponderous nature and pace which prevented me from truly getting passionate about it, but it did draw me in. And a large factor in doing so was certainly the strong cast; a cast that included Natalie Wood in her final performance having died during shooting. Particularly strong was Christopher Walken, toning down his eccentricities a touch but still maintaining his unique charisma and magnetism.

It's not often that I'm the one calling for remakes, but if Hollywood really is so set on the continuous conveyor belt of remakes/reboots/re-imagingings/whatever they're calling it this week, then I think this is the kind of project they should be looking at. Instead of remaking films that are still beloved classics such as RoboCop and Total Recall, why not a film like this? As far as I can tell it's not a particularly well-known film these days, it has an interesting premise to work from, while its reliance on computers and technology mean that it looks extremely dated these days so I don't think that updating it would be the worst thing in the world. And for once it may even be worth having it in 3D, or at least part of it. The machine that the scientists create allows for virtual reality style experiences which are supposed to be unbelievably real. So if 3D kicked in for those sequences to mimic the 'reality' I think it would be a nice touch.

Finished here. It's been fun.
The Deer Hunter
This is a great film, a flawed film but great. The performances are brilliant, there are many scenes of great power, and one can't help but feel invested in the story. The problem with the film is it's length, I feel 30 minutes or so being cut would make this a much leaner piece of film. Plus it would cut down on the often glacial pacing. Nonetheless, this is a classic of American cinema and when the inevitable Top 100 of the 70's list occurs, I'm sure this will rank very high.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
"her" - Totally "Lost "her" in Translation" Almost nothing I liked about this movie. Are all men really going to be wearing ridiculously ugly high-waisted pants in the near future?

It's not often that I'm the one calling for remakes, but if Hollywood really is so set on the continuous conveyor belt of remakes/reboots/re-imagingings/whatever they're calling it this week, then I think this is the kind of project they should be looking at. Instead of remaking films that are still beloved classics such as RoboCop and Total Recall, why not a film like this?
As far as I can tell it's not a particularly well-known film these days,
You've answered your own question there, JD.

Magnolia (1999) -

You know a film is great when it feels an hour shorter than it actually is.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

I enjoy Dane Cook, I said it, do I think he's a good actor? No, from the work that I have seen of his, which includes Dan in Real Life, Good Luck Chuck, Employee of the Month, and now, My Best Friend's Girl, I have basically with full-confidence that while he may have something formidable to contribute to the cinematic arts, he hasn't tapped into it yet, or at least, I haven't seen it. However, I like his comedy, I don't laugh during it like I do during Daniel Tosh, and I don't think like I do when I watch George Carlin or Bo Burnham, but I am entertained.

He tells stories, whether they lead to a consistent punch-line is irrelevant, because for the most part, I basically enjoy the ride. He does it with enthusiasm, I guess, and every once in a while, he says a joke that I like.

Anyway,

I didn't expect much from the movie, and surprise, surprise, I didn't get much out of it. The story felt incredibly similar to Hitch, another iffy movie starring Will Smith, it was about a guy that would get paid to help low self-esteemed guys get the girls of their dreams before becoming a romantic comedy. This was about a guy that would get paid to act like a dick to the girls so that they'd "appreciate what they had," and like it, eventually became a romantic comedy.

It wasn't anything special, Jason Biggs was more annoying than sympathetic and didn't feel like he added much to the actual story, Dane Cook has a pompous confidence that I enjoy, but his acting chops are less than stellar. As for Kate Hudson, ... eh.