Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

You should try giving Inland Empire a viewing if you haven't already. It actually makes Lynch's debut feel quite taint in comparison.
I plan on trying all his movies; so far I've seen Blue Velvet, M. Drive, Wild at Heart, and now Eraserhead. Actually except for Dune; I have no interest in that.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
I plan on trying all his movies; so far I've seen Blue Velvet, M. Drive, Wild at Heart, and now Eraserhead. Actually except for Dune; I have no interest in that.
Yeah, Dune is trite. If you enjoyed Mulholland Drive, I'm sure you'll like Lost Highway, which is very thematically similar, albeit a bit more dark and intricate. Definitely one of his more overlooked works. The Straight Story is one of the most human tales ever to grace our screens, and actually shows Lynch at his most melancholy and simple. Same can be said with The Elephant Man, although that was a bit more overt in its sentimentality, despite making me boil up into tears on numerous occasions.

What do you think of Lynch so far? He's a very dividing filmmaker, but definitely one of the more popular surrealists.

I loved Blue Velvet and really liked Wild at Heart and M. Drive. It still seems though that I like his movies more in theory, than reality. As far as Dune, I'm not a Sci-Fi fan.

Gravity

Amazing movie. I haven't been both terrified and amazed by a movie in such a long time. The last movie, that probably had the same effect on me, was Jurassic Park. This movie kept me on the edge of my seat throughout its intense moments. At the same time, i was wowed by its stunning visuals, which looked truly spectacular to behold. This film will be remembered for a long time, that's for sure.

Rating - 9.2/10

I liked Rounders a little more because it's the grittier of the two. 21 was a huge disappointment for me because I loved the book.
I thought that Edward Norton was a bit of a miscast.He didn't seem to fit.
And 21...I didn't like it because it's completely unrealistic and overall,kind of cheesy.

Identity Thief

This is what happens when you let your wife pick out a movie, and she's not a member of movie forums. Melissa McCarthy was pretty annoying in this below average comedy. There were a couple of cheap laughs and I do like Jason Bateman. He should do more serious roles as he was great in Disconnect. This movie was basically exactly what I expected.

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide

Pitfall (1962, Hiroshi Teshigahara)

As it may not be as aesthetically satisfying or thematically absorbing as The Woman in the Dunes, the film proves to be a prodigy attestation for Teshigahara's adroit eye for both the uncanny and mystifying. For a directorial debut, imposing. In saying that, this one lacked the existentialism of its (thematic) successor, as it merely felt like a murder mystery masquerading as something larger, perhaps a critique of corporate postwar Japan, in the midst of a mining boom, and the seemingly wanderless nature of futile peasants in a society where community has disintegrated or collapsed. I like to think these ideas were faintly examined in its opening half, if only for a short while, before it transmuted into a pretty shallow thriller. Some arresting use of sound, though. Maybe a 6 if I am generous.

The Bib-iest of Nickels

My Soul to Take: Wes Craven is considered as royalty when it comes to horror, having brought us the only two good movies in the A Nightmare on Elm Street series. (The first, and New Nightmare, although, I enjoyed the third as well.) That isn't it though, because he also did the Scream series, which aside from the third, were pretty good horror movies. However, for every good horror movie that he brought into the world, he brought in a bad one. I wasn't too keen on any of the Hills Have Eyes movies or, you know, Vampire in Brooklyn, but I like Wes Craven, nonetheless, so I decided to give this movie a chance.

Nine percent on Rotten Tomatoes, but Rotten Tomatoes is a compilation of opinions, nothing more and nothing less, there is no "right" or "wrong" answer on whether or not a movie is good, and there's nobody with more jurisdiction to make that decision. I am not saying that this movie's good, but I am saying that you shouldn't let anyone decide your opinion for you. My Soul to Take brings Max Thieriot, who I had last seen in House at the End of the Street with Jennifer Lawrence, which was horrible, but that wasn't the fault of Lawrence or Thieriot.

The movie has ambition and interesting ideas, that bring familiar elements previously introduced by Wes Craven into the picture. There was a lot of nonsensical occurrences and eccentricities that formulate something bizarre, but it can be difficult to decide whether or not it is for reason or lack thereof. I'd like to think there is at least some prowess to the storytelling, but a lot of it feels unpolished, unkempt, and messy, like a lot of the ideas were good, but they could have been executed better. The idea of multiple schizophrenic personalities being distributed accordingly to seven children, for example, it's a unique idea, but I didn't wind up appreciating it in the movie.

I didn't like any of the characters except for Bug and Alex, who both did the impossible in horror by never seeming to come off as dicks. However, when I say that I didn't like any characters other than them, I mean that as an understatement, I absolutely hated the other characters. And I thought that a lot of their development was unneeded because it never actually led to anything at all.

There's a lot of scenes that I would have cut-out, extended, or done differently, because they didn't ultimately work to the final product of the movie, because by the end of it, you are down to just two characters that matter at all, Bug and Alex. Everything else was fluff and pointless, but it didn't have to be that way. Also, the religious stuff was a little hokey and allover the place, I would have scrapped every bit of it, and merely stuck with the basic premise.

Riddick, 4/5. I've always been a fan of the riddick series and I thought this newest one wasn't that bad. You have to suspend your disbelief a bit too much though and sometimes the acting and violence are a bit over done. It also feels a bit too much like Pitch Black 2, which while the first movie is my favorite, I wasn't asking for a re-hash of it. Overall though, I liked it well enough.

Unregistered User
Bit of a random mix here with a few watched just to get space on the hard drive.

The Last Temptation of Christ
Much better than i had expected.Brilliant performances from both Dafoe and Keitel with superb direction from Scorcese.

7.5/10

Rare Exports. A christmas Tale.
Totally bizarre almost Anti-Christmas movie. Its not exactly going to become a Chritmas family favourite but its probably worth a watch without the kids.

6/10

Fish Story
So the weird just got weirder. Basically the owner of a record shop thinks a song by Japanese punk band 37 years ago will save the world from an approaching comet.
Not great. 5/10

Epic. 3.8/5. It looks really nice and the characters are likable but the villain was only so-so and I felt like some of the moments needed better explaining, like the villain's son dying early-on. It's really not that horrible but Blue Sky is capable of better.

Sunshine (2007)

Amazing looking film, with some great moments. Ultimately I think it gets muddled towards the end in a haze of foggy spiritualness and incredulity. But I think it's well worth watching.

7/10

I work for Keyser Soze. He feels you owe him.

The Wolf of Wall Street-Awesome movie,really enjoyed it,at first I thought i will be too long but it was perfect.Acting was perfect(10-10),story telling,wow...DiCaprio is so good in this one,I mean he is good in every movie in last few years but this one is just on another level.And everyone else also played their roles so good...Intro was wonderful...Movie really showed his life,how it changed ,how it goes up,down,up...Again great story telling and great story ofc.All in all wonderful movie,I enjoyed it.I don't know what bad to say about this movie?Nothing?

VERDICT-8.8-10(I know I said awesome things about this movie,but again it is not my type of movie,if I liked it so much then people who like that kind of movies enjoyed it even more.)

The last film I saw was a 2010 documentary called Connected. It put forward some insightful and fun notions/ideas about the connectedness of everything, but the film was a tribute the the directors deceased father at the same time, which made the happy note of philosophical ideas and stimulation of thinking rather darker and therefore less fun to watch.

6.5/10

Bullet to the Head 7.3/10

I liked this more than I thought I would; it's a throwback to the action films of the 80's and early 90's, with a nasty streak. Stallone is real bad ass in this, and Christian Slater is also very good in a small role as a villain. At about 90 minutes long, it never drags.

Deadgirl 6.4/10

This is the type of movie that I don't want my wife to know that I'm watching, because she might start to question what type of person I am. It is disturbing but effective, due to how well made it is. It kind of came off as how it would be if Larry Clark made a horror film.

Ghost In The Machine

Fish Story
So the weird just got weirder. Basically the owner of a record shop thinks a song by Japanese punk band 37 years ago will save the world from an approaching comet.
Not great. 5/10
Weirdly, I really enjoyed Fish Story and the way the story came together at the end. Quirky but good - will stand the test of time!

2 Guns

I love action and I love comedy, but blending the two is very difficult to pull off. The results can easily come off as silly, and that's a big problem I had with this movie. The humor just took away from any of the excitement that I could get from the action. Denzel and Marky Mark were fine; they had decent chemistry. They made this film barely watchable. I usually like Bill Paxton, but he was a dud, as was Edward James Olmos. I might have liked it if I was about 14, and that's not a knock on 14 year olds. It's just that after you watch so many movies, you realize there's so much better out there. This film was lame and instantly forgettable.

The last song 8/10

Noob, First post. I just watched Jack Ryan: Shadow Recruit.

It looked alright, but I didn't expect much. The plot is a little convoluted though. I think they were making a statement about the oil-transaction-supported-dollar, but it was a little vague and unless you knew what they meant I don't think most people (like my cousin who saw it with me) will know what they're talking about.

That said, it moves fairly well. The issues with the girlfriend were also a little hard to believe, but I could live with all it.

It was interesting, suspenseful, and kept me wanting more throughout. This isn't exactly my normal type of movie either, (something I'd usually watch on cable or something).

8/10.

-War, Famine, Pestilence, Death