Reading Tab

Tools    

I'm not old, you're just 12.
Making Comics~ Scott McCloud I'm so glad I stumbled across this book. It's not a how to draw book, it's about everything else that goes into making a comic. It's so helpful and informative. After reading it I discovered that I have pretty good instincts, but I also saw where I was doing a lot wrong and ways that I can improve. If you want to tinker around with making comics or get into it seriously, read this!!!
I have that same book! It's helped me a great deal. I still have a long way to go, i don't think my comics are all that great, but I always strive to make them better, and this book was a great start.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Chappie doesn't like the real world
I have that same book! It's helped me a great deal. I still have a long way to go, i don't think my comics are all that great, but I always strive to make them better, and this book was a great start.
Yeah, it was really inspiring. I especially liked what he had to say about character development and it made me go and write a very brief back story for all my characters. I think that will really help my story flow more organically rather than just force my characters to react in a certain way.

I've just started doing this a few months ago and I am completely obsessed. I don't draw well at all, but I'm teaching myself and coming along alright.

I love making comics. The world melts away and I get to make my own worlds any way I want them. No matter how crappy they may look, I love that before was a blank page and now there is all this life and story on the page.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
That is awesome. Keep at it. I've been drawing from probably pre-school, and there's still tons I can't draw correctly (hands, feet, cars), but I keep going. Don't judge your work too harshly, I have that same problem, and it makes me almost unable to draw anything at points.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm going to reply here so that I don't go way off topic on this thread, but I would love some more feedback.

I've been juggling around the same three books forever now, not having the time to finish any (Parting with Illusions, Oh Jersualem!, and Huck Finn ), so might as well tab an essay I just read.

Women's Brain by Jay Gould. Interesting essay about why scientists and psychologists believed women were mentally inferior due to physical states. An unbiased analysis of their findings, worth a read.

Women's Brain by Jay Gould. Interesting essay about why scientists and psychologists believed women were mentally inferior due to physical states. An unbiased analysis of their findings, worth a read.
Just sayin', that's the famous author of popular science texts and critic of eugenics and race theory, Stephen Jay Gould.

Anya's Ghost~Vera Brosgol

I picked this up at the library then went and bought two copies; one for me and one as a Christmas present. It might be YA, but it's still one of the best graphic novels out there. The story is fantastic and the animation fits perfectly with it. Sometimes graphic novels can be clunky but Anya's Ghost is not at all. In fact, I became so engrossed that I forgot I was reading one at all.

I would love if they made an animated movie out of this like Persepolis. Solid A

Finished Clans of the Alphane Moon earlier this week. I must be running low on Philip K. Dick books by now. I think that's Mr. Dick himself on the cover up there. My favorite character is Lord Running Clam, the neighborly Ganymedean slime mold.

Right now I'm reading Murphy (Beckett), A Sand County Almanac (Aldo Leopold), and combinatorics (bite me, spell-check) textbooks. Almost time to list my best (that I read)/of this year.

A loving heart is the truest wisdom.
Right now I'm reading volume 1 of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind. I love the movie but so far the manga is even better.

The last three I finished this last year.

Going Clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief by Lawrence Wright

A Sand County Almanac
by Aldo Leopold

Save the Cat!: The Last Book on Screenwriting You'll Ever Need by Blake Snyder

Only read about 30 (not including comics) this year. These were my favorites:

The Silent Twins by Marjorie Wallace
Objectivity is Not Neutrality: Explanatory Schemes in History by Thomas Haskell
Swann's Way by Marcel Proust
Lord of Light by Roger Zelazny
Mr. Bligh's Bad Language: Passion, Power, and Theater On The Bounty by Greg Dening
The Sub by Thomas Disch
Warlock by Oakley Hall
God in the Age of Science?: A Critique Of Religious Reason by Herman Philipse
Marvel Comics: The Untold Story by Sean Howe
Treasure Island (re-read) by Robert Louis Stevenson

comics:

Nancy Eats Food by Ernie Bushmiller
Walt Disney's Donald Duck: A Christmas for Shacktown by Carl Barks
NonNonBa by Shigeru Mizuki

I'm not sure. I guess I'm still processing it.

It was certainly moving and I was riveted by the end. But I did expect more; I'd hoped that a more robust theology would be underneath the narrative. I wanted a little more than literature and observations about cultural differences, even though both were interesting. I like it when books like this are a conveyance for fully articulated theological ideas, rather than just meditations on problems. But I realize not everyone's looking for that.

On the more technical front, it's a translation, and I felt a lot of the poetry was probably lost (my copy had several errors in it, too), but given that it was a translation I'm more impressed at how much of the writing's quality was still evident.

Are you asking because you've read it (in which case I'd love to know what you thought as well), or because you're considering it?