Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Great addition to one of the world's most acclaimed series, although I didn't enjoy the beginning of the movie. I thought the actors and the special effects were great, though, and although the ending was really predictable, it remained perfect in my opinion.
I think it's much weaker than the first two but the massive space battles make up for it. A fitting conclusion to the greatest trilogy ever*.

*Best trilogies:
1 - Star Wars
2 - The Human Condition
3 - LOTR
4 - Godfather
5 - Apu

Haven't watched the third PMMM movie though.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Haven't watched the third PMMM movie though.
I wonder how many people have actually watched this being one of the hardest lobbied movies on the forum.

I wonder how many people have actually watched this being one of the hardest lobbied movies on the forum.
Maybe not in this forum but it's actually very popular and considered a masterpiece by anybody who understands anything about animation. Although the third one is a cash grab sequel from the originals (not very different from Return of the Jedi).

The people in this forum have a very low nerd level if compared to the average internet forum. Even in a history forum that I frequent there are people who watched it. The only people here who watched it is me, Jal90 who joined because of me and another guy who watched because of my recommendation.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Maybe not in this forum but it's actually very popular and considered a masterpiece by anybody who understands anything about animation. Although the third one is a cash grab sequel from the originals (not very different from Return of the Jedi).

The people in this forum have a very low nerd level if compared to the average internet forum. Even in a history forum that I frequent there are people who watched it. The only people here who watched it is me, Jal90 who joined because of me and another guy who watched because of my recommendation.
I have a friend who basically acts as an anime filter for me. I let him wade through all the dreck and take his recommendations as gold (which is how I ended up watching both Code Geass and Elfin Lied and how I am working through Blood+ and This Ugly Yet Beautiful World). He finished Puella Magi Madoka Magica the other week and was raving about it (giving it a perfect 5/5 rating).

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
Well, there certainly are a deficit of people who watch animation with any frequency, and I among them. In my own case, I have too many gaps in my knowledge of film and film history to explore at the moment for me to watch anything serially. This could be taken as an affront on animation as well, implying its lack of significance of animation in the history of cinema, which you're certainly allowed to get mad about. However, I am truly sorry if this forum lacks enough nerdiness for you, but I don't really see it. From what I've seen, there are nerdier sites (I joined MUBI recently, which is definitely nerdier), but certainly there are a good deal of people on the forum with years and years of film knowledge and interest.

Nerdy I mean not only knowledgeable about film in general but about nerdy things such as Star Trek. (such as this guy: http://www.sfdebris.com/, notice that he reviewed the whole PMMM in the site) People here like more conventional stuff on average rather than sci fi and related nerdy interests.

And PMMM tv version is only 5 hours long, not much larger than many movies. It's not like The Sopranos or Breaking Bad which lasts for over 50 hours. So the cost of watching it is not that high if compared to the usual TV series.

North by Northwest

Solid entertainment and one of Hitchcock's most exciting films I've seen yet. Some gorgeous cinematography (especially in the scene shown above; it looked amazing on blu-ray) and almost unbearably suspenseful at times. I didn't think Hitchcock would be able to pull off an action-thriller that would stand the test of time this well but wow, this has aged like fine wine, with perhaps the slight exception of the climax. Cary Grant has the perfect amount of comic and charm, and I can't help but think that Eva Marie Saint's role should've been given to Grace Kelly, but it was still great. It felt pretty uneven at times and the plot didn't always work for me but it flew by and it was a lot of fun.

4/5

Saving Mr. Banks

9/10

Amazing performance by Emma Thompson. I predict an Oscar nod and win for her.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Gorgeous movie. The visuals are simply amazing, the actors and the scenario, although simple, is perfectly used.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Gorgeous movie. The visuals are simply amazing, the actors and the scenario, although simple, is perfectly used.
Glad you liked it. I think it's one of the most underrated films of the last 10 years. Worth watching,if not for the gorgeous visuals alone.

Ever seen a grown man cry in a movie theater before? Well ya would have today if ya went and saw this with me at the local theater. I cry every time I see this movie! As soon as George Bailey starts running through the streets at the end of the movie, the tears start running down my cheeks.

I am on record as saying Stalker is the best movie I have seen from the standpoint of art. And I stand by that claim. But if ya ask me what I think the best movie ever made is in the more traditional sense of story, characters, etc, this is my pick for the best movie ever made. By Frank Capra himself.

Also I saw a film today where Frank Capra's son served as executive producer. And it just so happens to be one of my top ten favorite movies. And boy is it different from what dad did.

Still great though!

Amazing performance by Emma Thompson. I predict an Oscar nod and win for her.
Over Cate Blanchett? I'm not saying you're wrong, I've seen neither film, but I think most have already given Cate the statue.

Give me all of your candy!
Finally checked out Boogie Nights! A great film and definitely worth my time.

Great movie! Have you seen The Cell? Same director, breathtaking visuals. I recommend it.

No One Lives 5.5/10

The first 20 minutes or so were good, and I liked the early twist. Unfortunately, everything after the twist was just ok.

The Cotton Club (1984)

Excellent film!
The Cotton Club is a wonderful tribute to the troubled, but oh so classy and alluring times of the early 1930s. It has a sad tone and it portrays dramatic themes, but thanks to the jazzy atmosphere, the movie always stays light-weight in a certain way.
Narrative-wise it isn't the most cohesive or clever thing you'll ever see and it may not have the towering quality of The Godfather, but don't let that hold you away from watching this gorgeous looking film before submitting your '80s list. It has definitely become a contender for my list. I will have to make some hard choices in january...

I'll talk about this film a little bit longer in my review topic and give my definite rating in a few days, but I just wanted to make you aware that if this looks like your kind of movie, you may want to see this before sending in your '80s list.