Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Finished here. It's been fun.

Mud is a great film. Its a triumph for Matthew Mcconaughey, as he gives a mesmerizing performance as the kind-hearted convict Mud. I usually don't say this but the child actors were fantastic as well. All of the actors really held their own in telling a believable,compelling coming-of-age tale that never once felt melodramatic or even overly-sentimental like one would expect.I had alot of fun watching it, and I feel like I viewed a very good story.Entertaining,well-shot,well-acted, and filled with engaging storytelling Mud is a great film and earns no less than a
from me.Mcconaughey has made a huge turn-around with his career, a complete rejuvenation as an actor.

It's a Wonderful Life

I watch it every Christmas. I thought I'd get it out of the way tonight, Ill be too drunk to watch it for the next few days.

8/10

Sorry to say, the last movie I saw was a freebie on cable:

"BATTLESHIP".

I was curious to see just how bad it could be.

Bad. Very bad.

3/10 bad.

Great addition to one of the world's most acclaimed series, although I didn't enjoy the beginning of the movie. I thought the actors and the special effects were great, though, and although the ending was really predictable, it remained perfect in my opinion.

Lord High Filmquisitor
I thought that Return of the Jedi was the only one of the trilogy where Lucas' later day add-ons were actually good. Seeing young Anakin's ghost was a really touching tribute to his development as a character: both his descent into darkness and his eventual redemption. I also liked how they cut to celebrations throughout the Galaxy (particularly Naboo), emphasizing the scope of the rebellion.

Before Midnight is an absolutely astounding film. Easily the finest film of 2013 that I've seen. A fantastic 3rd and possibly final entry into a great series,Before Midnight provides an intimate,realistic,heart-breaking and genuine look at relationships and love.The chemistry between Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy is simply breathtaking.The preceding two chapters I thought were good films, but this one goes beyond that and is simply amazing.To any film lovers I highly recommend checking out this series, so eventually you can end up seeing 2013's best film. Before Midnight gets a

A Man Escaped

A brilliant slow-burn prison-break film that creates an incredible amount of suspense with the most minimal of resources. It's edge-of-your-seat stuff that finds complexity in simplicity, abandons even the slightest of sentimentality or cliches, and creates an almost hypnotic effect with its pacing. As far as I know Bresson intentionally chose nonprofessional and stiff actors to replicate the prisoners' almost dehumanized and mundane behavior so Francois Terrier was perfect but there's a strong yet subtle layer of humanity present. It did get a little too slow at times towards the middle sections personally but it really pays off once tension reaches its peak at the climax. I look forward to seeing more Bresson films.

4/5

Drive

I'm at a loss for words right now to say the least, wow. Ryan Gosling is absolutely ice cool, probably one of the coolest characters in cinema since Jef Costello in Le Samourai. I was kept in a trance the whole time with its almost retro feel and it just oozes style and class. There are indeed short (and shocking) bursts of stylized violence that comes out of nowhere but I'd say marketing and expectations are probably the reason why this is such a polarizing film. I've seen Bronson by Refn before and I really liked it, but now I'm even more obliged to check out the rest of his work (and see what all the fuss about Only God Forgives is about).

4.5/5 (might go up to a full score if I think about it more)

Anyone who enjoyed Drive this much is good in my books. Fantastic film, I really need to watch it again. But there's so many other great films that I have yet to see, including Taxi Driver.
Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!
-Daniel, There Will Be Blood

Lord High Filmquisitor

I just finished watching Ain't Them Bodies Saints. There are some movies, like this or A History of Violence, where I'm not sure exactly what I'm supposed to walk away with after watching it. It seemed not so much to have a purpose as much as it was simply something that happened. Extremely well acted, directed and written, it was an impressive spectacle of artistry. I was particularly taken with the editing, whose elliptical cross-cuts were atrongly reminiscent of Drive's. It's definitely a high 8/10 (nearly an 8.5).

Carlito's Way is a flawed,but still solid gangster flick. It's not Pacino's best performance, and it's a bit heavy-handed but it's still interesting to watch. It isn't a game-changer but it works.Just a solid crime film.
+.

Oh and Mmmm Donuts you need to watch Taxi Driver asap.Movie kicks some serious as*.

Bagdad Café (1987)
it was ok, but kind of forgettable.

Le Corbeau (1943)
+++ Really good film by Clouzeau. He's like the French Hitchcock. It's not as good as Les Diaboliques, but it's fantastic nonetheless. I enjoyed the way the doctor was seen as a criminal for helping womans to abort.

Give me all of your candy!

Hard Eight (1996)
I loved Philip Baker Hall in this film, very cool and collective. Can see this becoming a favorite of mine.

The Bib-iest of Nickels
The first Final Destination movie was kind-of atrocious, however, it had an intriguing concept that hadn't often been witnessed inside of a horror-movie. The idea that there's a pattern and method to death that isn't meant to be altered or deterred, and once that happens, death itself begins to attempt remedying its own mistake. The second movie carried the same intriguing premise, and even added little pieces to the movie that hadn't been seem before. However, it depended too heavily on the first movie, and did the impossible of making the first movie look great, by being ****** as ****.

Carlito's Way is a flawed,but still solid gangster flick. It's not Pacino's best performance, and it's a bit heavy-handed but it's still interesting to watch. It isn't a game-changer but it works.Just a solid crime film.
+.

Oh and Mmmm Donuts you need to watch Taxi Driver asap.Movie kicks some serious as*.
Glad you liked Carlito's way. I really liked Pacino in this; I thought it was a pretty subdued performance for him, and his was a very likable character. But my thought is that this was Sean Penn's movie.