Rate The Last Movie You Saw

Tools    

Lord High Filmquisitor
I do not have any particular love of Ryan Gosling in general (although I haven't yet seen Half Nelson), but I think that he was able to pretty thoroughly / convincingly embody the character of The Driver.

I hope people will not hate me for what I am about to say. Anyways, I have to admit that I was extremely disappointed by this one. Yes, the special effects were great, but in my opinion, the script was unoriginal. I mean, the storyline for the entire franchise is great, and the beginning of this movie was convincing, but I thought it got cheesy after an hour or so. I also hated Hamill's acting : I think that's what ruined the movie for me. Overall, I didn't hate it, just didn't love it.
-

I liked this one better, but still not as much as I liked the third episode. The acting was much better in this one, and the special effects were amazing too. I thought some parts were pretty cheesy, although I enjoyed the storyline much more. The soundtrack was great too.
-

Lord High Filmquisitor
Personally, I think that The Empire Strikes Back was the best of the series, with A New Hope coming in at #2. I think that the series didn't quite know what direction it wanted to take in the first movie which, though good, does feel a bit more simplistic and a bit less focussed that what came afterwards.

I'm curious to see what you think of Return of the Jedi, whose action seems pretty tame at first, but is really a lot more brutal in retrospection.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I too think Empire Strikes Back is the strongest point in this classic series, but the other parts are absolutely incredible as well. Any faults these films have I can overlook due to how fun and adventurous they are. The physicality of the sets and locations alone makes them a million times better than the inferior prequel saga.

Finished here. It's been fun.

Don Jon-
Fun comedy film and a solid directorial debut for JGL. Nothing outstanding nor extremely memorable but a solid comedy with some laughs and heart. Wanted to a solid comedy and got one.

i'll probably always think Star Wars (1977) is the best of that franchise... although Empire is also very good

yet i can also see how people who watch these today through a modern lense would see them as typical, simplistic, or that type of thing

and it's bc they were so successful that the template used in these films has been used again and again and again... bc it works. leading to exhaustion and that type thing

the reason i put Star Wars (1977) above the others in the franchise is bc it's the only one that i believe truly stands on its own. i can watch it, and let my imagination run wild on where they could have taken the story... and all the possibilities it opens up

I'm on Nostromo's team. )

I'll Sleep When I'm Dead

Well done with a nice turn by Clive Owen. I liked the fact that I had no idea about a major plot point. I didn't mind the slow pace but found the ending to be unsatisfying.

I meant to ask this. Do you mean why people feel the way they do about it (being so great, etc) or you didn't get the story?

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I meant to ask this. Do you mean why people feel the way they do about it (being so great, etc) or you didn't get the story?
Why people feel the way they do about it. It's ok, but hardly a masterpiece.

Felt like it was good, but not a masterpiece either.
To be honest the girl kind of pissed me off sometimes.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

What an unexpected delight! Was expecting something similar in style to the LOTR trilogy, but this went in a completely different direction and it really resonated with me in doing so. The light-hearted tone of the movie is definitely a positive. Nothing ever feels over-dramatic, nor does anything really feel as epic as the LOTR trilogy, but 'epic' was not what I was looking for in a film like this. All the characters are likeable and funny. The humor is really down-pat and fits the upbeat tone of the movie. Looking forward to seeing DoS after this.

8/10

Out of the furnace

Best movie ive ever seen

Unregistered User

Day of Wrath (1943)

Only my second Carl Dreyer. I enjoyed this but i think i preferred Ordet. Anyway, looking forward to seeing some more of his work.

8/10

Pi

Excellent thriller from Darren Aronofsky. I had been looing forward to watching this for some time and it didnt disappoint.

Tron

Highly confusing, some people may take a couple attempts to get the gist of it even though the story is incredibly simple.
Cutting edge effects for the time, though they have dated a little but watching the sequel actually makes them work even better, decades ahead of its time though in substance, immensely entertaining and filled with some iconic scenes and action sequences when those bikes are used..

Tron Legacy

Almost an improvement on the original.
Cutting edge visuals yet again... Jeff Bridges all CG'd up so he looks like he did in 1982 (not perfect but damned close)... pretty decent acting throughout.
Still may take a couple attempts to get the gist but again the story is excruciatingly simple that once you get the hang of it, it's another joyful popcorn flick that delivers.

Probably one of the few times the sequel lives up to the original and in some ways is actually better, and in a way, with technology changing in real life and the films being so different visually, the sequel actually makes the dated elements of the original make sense.

again.

Two great films.

Addition: Beats The Matrix, hands down.

Lord High Filmquisitor
I love the TRONs (especially when Tron fights for the user). It was really fun to watch how often the sequel references the original. The de-aged Jeff Bridges looked really creepy to me, though.

Primal Fear was amazing! Edward Norton was absolutely phenomenal in the duelist role of Aaron / Roy, which is especially impressive when you realize how little film experience he had at the time. I can't believe that Cuba Gudding Jr. was able to beat out William H. Macy and Edward Norton in the same year for Best Supporting Actor. 8/10