PeterVincent's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Precious tritium is what makes this project go.
Looper

It's smart, it's sexy and it has some of the best damn dialogue since No Country For Old Men...oh and ****.

Levitt still manages to impress and an actor and pulls of an incredible performance, he manages to look and sound convincing whilst making his character unique and distinctive from Bruce Willis at the same time...if that statement made any sense at all.

Jeff Daniels tells us not to think to much about time travel, but the time travel aspect is one of the best things about the movie. You (the entertained audience member) can't help but attempt to predict everything and then squeal in surprise as nothing goes as you expect.

The chases, the fights and the cinematography are excellent. The only visual flaw I noticed involved Levitt and a hover bike in a field...it was pretty dodgy.

Bruce Willis pulls himself off well and takes back his rightful throne as king of badass gunplay and grunting (a scene involving duel P90's and human shields is an epic standout).

Looper is an epic thrill ride that's solid and entertaining from start to finish, despite some minor slow scenes.

Prometheus

Iv'e watched this movie 5 times now...and I don't understand why it gets so much damn hate.

I am an enormous Alien fan, and whilst Prometheus is a prequel to Alien, it is not necessarily vowed to adopt the same tone and story of Ridley Scott's classic.

Alien was a horror film that focused on casual characters in a confined area with a mysterious and scary villain. Prometheus is a film about life and creation with small teaspoons of horror and thriller. Prometheus also has a good 40 minutes of deleted scenes...that explain a fair amount of the movie, but that isn't the primary point.

Prometheus follows a group of scientists and soldiers as they explore a planet that is believed to house our creators, the Engineers. As the crew discovers more...they find out the truth...or something like that.

The film stars Noomi Rapace, who is best known for The Millennium Trilogy. It also stars one of my favourite actors in the industry right now...the one...the only...Michael Fassbender.

Fassbender can take any line of dialogue, any gesture or movement and make it so convincing you forget he's a human being. Basically...Fassbender is the balls.

Ridley Scott makes anything look scary. A scene involving a medical procedure makes you wince and another involving a snake-like creature is plain old jump worthy.

Prometheus was not what fans were generally expecting...that's for sure. The film references Alien and even directly ties into it at point. Haters will hate and so forth...but dude, don't get aggresive.

I loved Prometheus I admit it.

The Blu-Ray's spectacular too.

Frankenweenie

Tim Burton must be tired.

The guy has done so many Johnny Depp films and Frankenweenie shows that he can't do much else, not even his old fashion black-and-white claymation style that used to make him so unique...is that the right word?

Frankenweenie starts off nice and paces well, you see all the characters and enjoy learning about the life of this boy and his dog. When the actual plot kicks in however...the movie drags like a pensioner driving a smartcar.

The plot is so simple and uncreative that you start to wish something new would happen, but it never does.

Despite it's major flaws Frankenweenie is still a solid if not...okay...Movie, but it's a massive fall below the usual Burton standard.

Skyfall

It's been about 15 years or so since I've enjoyed a Bond film this much...and I am a large Bond fan. Perhaps it was Sam Mendes' stylish contribution to the franchise or the fresh performances...or maybe even the fact that this film marks James Bond's 50th anniversary.

Skyfall starts off with a brilliant opening, a thrilling chase that re-introduces us to Daniel Craig's James Bond. Bond's desperate to track down the bad guy; he's running, sprinting, jumping, diving, hitching a ride, diving some more, driving, sprinting, jumping a little more, walking, running, driving a non-conventional vehicle, running, climbing, punching, walking, ducking, punching, chocking...and then he's falling...you might even say...Skyfalling...hehehe.

The enormous introduction to an enormous film really sucks you back into a world you once loved, a world filled with you know...spy stuff. The second act introduces you to the villain, who is (to say the least) an effective and thrilling character. The third act is a showdown that is done (to quote a character in the film) 'the old fashioned way' and we are then treated to a massive and Bondtastic amount of references and homages to previous films and encounters...oh man...I almost wet my pants.

No film is without it's flaws though. The transition between the second and third act are shifty and change from a slow-pace to a fast-pace in half a second. The sub-plot in Shanghai is engaging and (in my opinion) one of the strongest parts of the film. We are introduced to characters that are then killed off despite there being major chances for development. Oh and they make a joke about Goldeneye that was cute but, I love Goldeneye, don't you go making fun of Goldeneye.

Daniel Craig isn't the most emotive of Bond's (heck, who is?) but a major scene towards the end of the film involves him crying, and when a brick like Daniel Craig cries...well...Your eyes start to get a little wet.

Overall Skyfall is rather brilliant and it is very clear that the guys behind it were trying to make as much of a homage to the 50 years of Bond as they could without ruining the film in the process, and that worked! It's not as good as say, Goldeneye, but then again...It's fricken spectacular...I might watch it again. Hey TylerDurden99...you up for some Skyfall?

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

There are many folk around that are roasting this movie as if it were the latest in a line of Adam Sandler comedies with Kevin James as the co-star. But (in PeterVincent's opinion at least) it is not.

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey has a horrible time finding it's footing (at least for the first ten minutes). The film opens with a narrated flashback remeniscent of The Mummy and is even more uncomfortable to watch with it's 48 frame per second look. Alas, the film finally snaps into gear when we get our first look at Martin Freeman as Bilbo Baggins. Something seemed strange about the character, I couldn't tell if Freeman was making him semi-unlikeable on purpose or because he's overplaying the characters concern for his property. However I soon realised that he's building a character...the best type of character...one of those heroes that turns from a nobody into a complete badass over the course of a few hours.

The Dwarves of the film were something I was dreading, however, they ended up being incredibly likeable and (some of them at least) memorable. Thorin Oakenshield is the leader of the company and the king of the Dwarves, desperate to take back his home from Smaug The Dragon. This of course leads me to another point...the changes. Peter Jackson and co. have made some rather large changes in order to drag this story on for three movies, one of those is a nemesis for Thorin. The bad guy is an albino orc with one arm, something that wouldn't look out of place in a sequel to Season Of The Witch. This villain was also something I was uneasy about, but that also surprised me...he was only in the movie for about 15 minutes and he wasn't too bad. Another change is the enhanced sub-plot of the Necromancer and Radagast The Brown (played here by former Doctor Who, Sylvester McCoy), that sub-plot wasn't delved into too much, but is sure to become a massive thing in future films.

The direction is beautiful, despite the 48 frames thing screwing around with my eyes and making all the special effects look a little strange. Peter Jackson is doing his ol' camera pans again...and it's beautiful and epic as ever. Lord I missed Middle Earth...and Jackson's bringing it back to me...

Overall The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey is not anything like what people are saying, in fact it is a contender for the best film of 2012. Do I regret going to the premiere of this in costume? No...No I don't, and I won't regret doing the same thing for the next one...next year...

Jurassic Park

One of my earliest memories was the dodgy tape my parents had recorded off of the television for Jurassic Park. This movie is what made me love dinosaurs as a six-year-old-boy, this movie is what drove me to learn how to spell the word 'Palaeontologist' before finishing Grade 2, this movie is what gave me nightmares, it's what made me go out and rent my first movie from Blockbuster Video (The Lost World and Hook to be precise), this movie is what made me beg my Father to take me to the museum, this movie is what made me start reading large novels at age 8 (the borrowing of Michael Crichton's book by an 8-year-old alarmed my Librarian, the lovely Miss Blundell), this movie is what made me seek out other great films. This movie is what helped me become the man I am today, and while I might not be as fascinated with dinosaurs as I was many years ago, I still get misty eyes when I remember every little thing this movie has done to me...

Jurassic Park is a film like no other, a film that will always be remembered and a film that is complete and utter perfection, whether it be Dr. Grant's subtle development as a character or Wayne Knight's Dennis Nedrey's comic relief, there is not one single millisecond in Jurassic Park to cause boredom or disinterest.

Describing this film in one word is incredibly difficult, but when I watch it I can say that MAGICAL would be the word to describe it. Everything in Jurassic Park is magical, the pace, the characters, the special effects, the score (arguably the best score ever made), the design, the story and the just...greatness that it is. Spielberg does a gobsmacking job at directing a film that has a such a golden pace and dozens of memorable scenes...heck, I can remember the whole movie! Though I do have to give massive credit to Sam Neill, who is the soul of this film (for me). Neill does an astounding job at Dr. Alan Grant and develops from a likeable character to one of the greatest characters ever known. Dr. Grant becomes such as hero at the end of the film...it's almost impossible to describe the feeling of payoff you get at the end of the film. I also tip my hat to Spielberg yet again, as he never actually showed Dr. Grant firing a gun (something that made him a more family friendly hero, and a believable character, as I for one cannot picture Dr. Grant firing a gun).

I also have to briefly mention that the puppets in this film never cease to amaze me. The animatronics and the CGI bled so well that even today it's sometimes hard to tell what is what. So...I tip my hat to Stan Winston too.

Overall Jurassic Park is one of the most essential films to see. It's one of the greatest films of all time and one of my absolute favourites.

...And for my rating? Well...I spared no expense...

Nice review matey!
Although I rated JP lower than you did (percentage wise) due to the differences from the book, I had it a #2 in my Top CG Movies Of All Time, it came second to Starship Troopers... like you, even today I get blown away by JP's effects and find it hard to spot the joins.

I had JP at #31 in my Top 100 favourites too.

Nice review matey!
Although I rated JP lower than you did (percentage wise) due to the differences from the book
Though some of the differences were incredibly significant, some changes made the characters more relatable (I am of course referring to Crichton's occasional sexism) such as Dr. Sattler and Lex (also what happens in the books conclusion with Hammond does upset me, character wise). I do understand greatly where you are coming from though.

Prometheus felt somewhat unfocused and slow but I liked it well enough. Not what I'd hoped for but pretty good. I'm not one of those haters who tear a movie to shreds if it doesn't meet high expectations, I just try to forget all that and judge it for what it is. I'd give it a 7, maaaybe an 8 depending on how I felt it held up on rewatch.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Prometheus felt somewhat unfocused and slow but I liked it well enough. Not what I'd hoped for but pretty good. I'm not one of those haters who tear a movie to shreds if it doesn't meet high expectations, I just try to forget all that and judge it for what it is. I'd give it a 7, maaaybe an 8 depending on how I felt it held up on rewatch.
Fair enough I guess.

I've never understood the appeal of Jurassic Park. One of the most underwhelming and dull cine experiences of my life. Maybe if I'd been six? I loved dinosaurs when I was 6.

Stolen

'New Orleans always finds a way back...'

Wowzas. Seeing this in the cinema, at the last minute, with a surprisingly full house of cheerful people and plenty of popcorn by my side really amplified and made this a pleasant experience.

Every cliche', every bad pun, every mediocre chase and all of the bizarre dialogue from Josh Lucas' character was met with appreciative laughs and claps from the audience, and for a Box-Office flop that didn't look like it was ever going to be released in Australia...People seemed to enjoy it.

I exited the cinema to the sounds of 'that wasn't that bad' and 'I liked that' comments from wives to husbands and girlfriends to boyfriends. I reflected and thought to myself...hey...that really wasn't that bad...And I love Nicolas Cage...And Simon West still did a much better job at directing on this one than say...The Expendables 2.

So the basic plot of Stolen is that Nicolas Cage's daughter has been STOLEN (not Taken...Do you wanna get sued?) by Josh Lucas' Vincent, a criminal friend believed to be dead by Nicolas Cage who wants the $10 million dollars that Nicolas Cage failed to steal in their previous heist. Of course the typical chase and race against time ensues, with predictable explosions and some non-predictable motives from the villain (the speech he gives to the Australian guy is absolutely hysterical and I don't even wanna get started when it comes to what he tells the cop that pulls him over at one point).

Where Stolen succeeds is it's pace, it's effects (mostly practical) and the charisma and charm it brings. Scenes that should be boring aren't and characters that should be bland...aren't. Nicolas Cage brings his charisma and a much calmer performance than usual and helps pull a film I can probably call a guilty pleasure.

This probably won't hold up so well without an audience but for now...It's not too shabby.

Well, I can only comment on the films you've picked that I've actually seen, so given that, for this page I'm pretty pleased with your love of Jurassic Park, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, and especially Prometheus, which I, too, loved and also have on Blu-Ray Special Edition. For a planned trilogy (at least as far as Ridley Scott is concerned) there are lots of connections to the original Alien that will no doubt be expanded upon in further installments. Apparently the sequel has already been given a green-light and Scott infers that by the third (given that we get one), the connection to the first of the original films will be made. So, I'm still on board and can't wait for Rapace and Fassbender to return.

PeterVincent-

I accidentally gave you thumbs down for your review on Stolen so I gave thumbs up to your 2 previous posts. Sorry about that. I was semi interested in Stolen, but after reading your review, I will definitely try it. It sounds like a really fun movie and I always like Nic Cage. I also quite like Josh Lucas and feel he is very underappreciated.

PeterVincent-

I accidentally gave you thumbs down for your review on Stolen so I gave thumbs up to your 2 previous posts. Sorry about that. I was semi interested in Stolen, but after reading your review, I will definitely try it. It sounds like a really fun movie and I always like Nic Cage. I also quite like Josh Lucas and feel he is very underappreciated.
Oh thank the maker! I was reading my notifications and saw the thumbs down so I instantly thought,
This is what happens when you confess your love for Cage...
But luckily it was a mistake. Thanks Cricket.

Cloud Atlas

Archivist: What if no one believes you?
Sonmi-451: Someone already does.

I have hyped Cloud Atlas for quite some time. I've heard fantastic things and horrible things about the film, I've heard of people that loved it and people that hated it religiously. I went in with an eager attitude and a lot of hype behind me, with Richard Trapp and another friend. I exited as a very different man.

This film changed me. It changed my views. In fact it morphed me so much that me and my entire company decided to cancel our second film (Hansel & Gretel Witch Hunters) because we were so affected by the utter brilliance and trance that was Cloud Atlas. I have read the book, so I knew what I was going into...but nothing can prepare anyone for a film as ambitious as this one.

The cast is perfect, from Tom Hanks' goofy Dr. Henry Goose to Hugh Grant's cannibal villain. There is no moment wasted, no plot that is neglected, everything is paced perfectly and used well. The story I didn't enjoy in the novel (Sloosha's Crossin') ended up being one of my favourites in the film (you can thank Tom Hank's fantastic performance and Hugo Weaving saying the words; 'Piece of ass'). From Adam Ewing to Somni-451, everything works in it's own way and wraps up beautifully.

I will share something with you. I cried. Yes...Yes I did. Richard Trapp tried to stop me by comparing a character to Benedict Cumberpatch but a fantasticly beautiful moment between Jim Sturgees and Hugo Weaving broke the final straw in my back...and so I wept.

This is mostly likely going to enter my top 10...

' I will not be subjugated to criminal abuse! '

+

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Wow sounds like it had a big impact on you. It's certainly a film I'm very intrigued to see, and hearing people so in love with it as you are just adds to that.

So Hugh Grant does a good job then? Just I was very curious when I heard he had been cast as a cannibal.

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Brilliant film and one that might catapault into my top ten on a few repeat viewings.

Wow sounds like it had a big impact on you. It's certainly a film I'm very intrigued to see, and hearing people so in love with it as you are just adds to that.

So Hugh Grant does a good job then? Just I was very curious when I heard he had been cast as a cannibal.
It touched, moved and changed me.