Daniel's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Love Platoon. Similar to Apocalypse Now, it focuses more on the people involved and downplays the scope of events they're caught in, making it a personal struggle between good and evil.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Love Platoon. Similar to Apocalypse Now, it focuses more on the people involved and downplays the scope of events they're caught in, making it a personal struggle between good and evil.
I've yet to see Apocalypse Now although it's extremely high up my watchlist - don't now how I haven't yet seeing how much I love the Godfather. In fact the same can be said for The Godfather Part II, I have no idea how I haven't got round to it.

Got a couple more wars recorded on sky, Full Metal Jacket and Black Hawk Down. Looking forward to watching both to see the contrasting (I assume) approaches on war, after I've watched those two (for convenience) I think I'll finally watch Apocalypse Now

You MUST see Apocalypse Now asap! It's one of the greatest films of all time.
You've convinced me, gonna try and watch it tonight, I'll let you know who I find it although I'm 99% sure I'll love it :P

Capt. Kilgore gives a memorable performance in the film's first hour
Apocalypse Now (1979)

After I had watched "Psycho" I decided to watch "Apocalypse Now" for similar reasons. Both were two of the highest films on my watch list and recent posts by a member on here persuaded me not to delay my viewings and finally watch them. The work of Hitchcock made me want to see Psycho after immediately falling in love with some of his films, the same can be said of Coppola although I had only seen "The Godfather" it was a film that afterwards I knew I had just watched a masterpiece.

“Apocalypse Now” is a film of three thirds (I decided to watch the Redux version, perhaps two halves is more applicable to the original)
As the Americans  lead by Kiglore approach a Vietnamese village we witness one of the  great battle scenes in film history
and it's no surprise that Quentin Tarantino rates this film as one of his favourites of all time with the first third something you'd expect to see from the director himself.

In the first third, Coppola manages to create one of (if not) the greatest battle scenes in film history. We see the Americans lead by Capt. Kilgore destroy an entire Vietnamese village. Although some may see this seen as maleficent and uneasy due to the sheer amount of bloodshed, the superb performance of Kilgore turns it in to an extremely enjoyable, bizarre and fun scene. We see him turn on music and joking around before killing hundreds of people, then once the men land on ground we see him getting ready to search the waves amidst all the chaos as he produces one of the film's most memorable lines, "I love the spell of napalm in the morning". Robert Duvall creates one of the most memorable and fun characters in film history, someone who flourishes in the setting of war and someone whose insane behaviour will stay in our minds long after viewing.

In the middle the film tends to drag more than the other thirds, some of the scenes are justified as we learn more about Captain Kurtz, an ex soldier who has gone insane and set himself up as a God among the local people. At first it seems that we can attempt to justify some of Kurtz actions and can understand why he may have gone crazy, it is not until the finally scenes that the full extent of his command is revealed.

Martin Sheen portrays the film’s main character, Captain Willard, the narrator of the story and the man sent on the mission to assassinate Kurtz. His morals and attitude towards the various situations are important to the film, at first he feels reluctant to murder a US soldier, where as in the final scenes we see a much more different side to his character upon finally meeting Kurtz. At first we begin to understand why the war would turn someone crazy, after all surely Kilgore himself could be classified as such?

Watching the Redux version I can certainly understand the criticisms that people have for the film with two scenes, the second meeting with the playmates and the dinner conversation with the French family seeming odd and out of place as well as lengthening the film without little contribution however it certainly does not make the film worse in anyway and allows use to have a perhaps much needed retrieve from the action filled scenes that come both before and after it.

Slight Spoilers in paragraph - I won’t say much about the final third in case you have not seen the film (despite the spoiler warning), but once we finally get to the Kurtz compound the scenes that follow are brilliant and horrifying at the same time. Dead bodies dangling around everywhere and decapitated heads provide us with a horrifying setting and the scale of the size, the amount of men under Kurtz command is horrifying in itself. The final scene that involves the sacrifice of a buffalo (which was very much real, adding a shocking and brutal feel to amplify an already dark scene), the final scene in which we see Willard stand facing the entire tribe is brilliant and his pause for a split second is brilliantly captured as he reacts to the perhaps unexpected and once again sees the extent of command Kurtz has setup.

The film's sound is also like no other for which it deservedly won an Oscar for, going back to the battle scene the music played helps great a grand joyous feel to the whole situation despite hundreds of deaths, the sound throughout is superb, from the opening sequences to the final scene. Marlon Brando, the film’s main star has little time on screen and when he does we barely get to see his face, a deliberate and brave decision that helps build up the mystery and scary character that he is.

"Apocalypse Now" is a war film like no other and immediately finds itself as one of my favourites of all time. You may have recently seen by thoughts on "Kramer vs. Kramer" a film produced in the same year and even though I enjoyed it I immediately thought to myself ‘surely this wasn’t a better film than Apocalypse Now?’, like I expected it is in my opinion an injustice how such a film that although good could beat a masterpiece to win the Best Picture award for 1979.

RATING:

Submarine
Submarine (2010)

I had been waiting to watching “Submarine” for a while before I eventually got round to it, for a number of reasons. First of all it’s filmed in Wales and I believe partly produced by a Welsh funding project so I was curious to see a film that had a kind of local connection to my country. The second reason, and main factor was Richard Ayoade, although I have not seen “The IT Crowd” or “The Watch” (which I am told is poor although Ayoade is a strong performer) I was interested to see the work of a young director who I had not heard much of before until I saw his published list in the recent Directors’ Sight and Sound Poll.

Although this sentence may sound rather odd you can tell a lot from a director from the films he lists as his favourites and influences, I knew Ayoade was involved in comedy but his list tells me this is a man who clearly has great knowledge in films and has been influenced by the fantastic work of others.

His influences are clear in “Submarine”, an extremely clever teen comedy. The film is about a boy who has to deal with two relationships; his own and his parents. Although it is a teen comedy it is far from an immature or silly film that you may have expected instead is very intelligent and neatly composed, perhaps too neat.

The film is carefully crafted, it is split by defined sections and you can see how each scene is carefully put together with great attention to detail. In a way this film reminds me of the works of Wes Anderson in the way that the focus is on such a clear structure for the film to take place in. One of the criticisms of Anderson’s work is that although his filmmaking is superb that sometimes they are too neat and clever for themselves and that the actual story is missing that something. Submarine feels similar to that, although I admired the work of Ayoade and did enjoy the plot on the whole I did feel that in some parts the story was quite slow and not very progressive in the middle.

Craig Roberts gives us a great performance as the film’s character of focus, young Oliver Tate. He is a odd and troubled teen who can be seen as socially awkward, he has many thoughts and wants to be with Jordana who is portrayed by Yasmin Paige but their relationship has a number of problems. The chemistry between the two is very good and we sympathise with both of them, more Oliver who we feel frustrated at because of his strange actions in certain situations that he is not aware of himself, we sympathise him because we can understand and recognise his situation as a teenager, his performance seems real and the sweet relationship at the heart of the film works well overall.

RATING:

The Grey
The Grey (2011)

2008 saw “Taken”, a film starring Liam Neeson that is now regarded as a modern cult favourite. Whilst it is not a particularly good film, and lacks in both plot and characters, it is the performance of Liam Neeson in the main role that makes the film what it is, 93 minutes of him entertaining the audience with his combat skills.

This film has a lower IMDB user score than “Taken” but a higher Metacritic score with a positive average. I expected something stronger has a whole than “Taken” and I was not disappointed with what I got and was impressed with “The Grey”, a thoroughly enjoyable film that makes for great viewing.

Neeson in this film plays the main character Ottway, he is the leader of a group of men attempting to navigate away from a vicious pack of wolves after an air crash in Alaska. Neeson’s performance doesn’t take complete control of the film though, his character instead acts in a way in which is can benefit it, his character and personal thoughts and morals lead to conflicts within the group as we see different characters that are very real and believable. The group needs to work together and survive yet is clearly suffering from an inner rift at the beginning, we see them join together in a battle for survival as they face many obstacles along the way that test them both physically and mentally.

“The Grey” is a brutal survival film, set in the harsh cold environment of Alaska where the group of many battle for their lives as they are chased by a pack of wolves. At times the film provides us with some gruesome scenes, if you’re expecting some happy story where Liam Neeson turns save the day with his shooting skills to kill the entire wolf camp then its fair to say you may be disappointed, this is far from some action flick and actually feels real as we see and feel the pain suffered by the group. Neeson’s job involves shooting with his sniper although after the craft he finds himself unable to use his weapon, this immediately sets a precedent for the events that come to unfold without the film, these men are put in uncomfortable situations and must somehow come together and battle their environment and enemies in unorthodox ways.

The film is visually superb with the shots really creating an extremely uncomfortable, dark and horrifying environment, particularly in the night. We are always on the edge of the seats, the film is a thriller with a number of brutal yet well worked shocks.

I didn’t really think the emotional scenes and flashbacks of Neeson were particularly beneficial to the film, I think others would have enjoyed these more than me. But “The Grey” is a film that I definitely recommend to any thriller fans. It is a gritty and at times brutal film that uses its environment and the wolves to create a thrilling horror aspect, the film has us gripped throughout and we can really feel the character’s dire situation in this film.

RATING:

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Another couple of great reviews Daniel. I have to say that I just adored Submarine, one of my favourite films of 2011. Perhaps not a surprise as I'm a big fan of Wes Anderson, and as you pointed out they are very similar, with Anderson's work a big influence for Ayoade.

Didn't see The Grey though I did quite fancy it, will get round to it some day.

^About the Grey above. It moved me when I saw the ending, others disagree. But peicing together other bits of the film, culminating with the end, sort of had to be that way, liked or disliked. I liked it.

Sometimes much of 'the dudes' coolness takes multiple watchings to marinate, a second viewing in my case. * * * *

Need to check out Submarine.

Another couple of great reviews Daniel. I have to say that I just adored Submarine, one of my favourite films of 2011. Perhaps not a surprise as I'm a big fan of Wes Anderson, and as you pointed out they are very similar, with Anderson's work a big influence for Ayoade.
Yeh Submarine is such a great little film, the influences are clear to see and I am certainly looking forward to more of Ayoade's work in the future, if he can combine his intelligent style with something a bit more interesting he could create something great.

And yeh I love Anderson, well I have only seen "Fantastic Mr. Fox" and "The Royal Tenenbaums" but both were great and lovable films for me. I have "Rushmore" recorded and ready to watch sometime as well.

@Exist

Yeh the same with me for The Big Lebowski, took more than one viewing for me to appreciate the comedy as much as I do now. When I first watched it I enjoyed it, thought it was a good film with some funny parts. When I watched it the second and on further viewings I began to realise just how great it was, I think it is because I knew what lines were coming, I could understand the context better and truly appreciate the genius behind some of the dialogue.

Psycho
Psycho (1960)

Being a massive fan of Alfred Hitchcock and his work in such films as "Vertigo" and "North by Northwest" it was only a matter of time before I finally got around to watching Psycho.

Unlike those two titles mentioned, "Psycho" was deliberately filmed in black and white to give a cheaper, less visually rich but more frightening feel to the whole thing. I've heard people say that "Psycho" may not be as 'scary' at present day and is more of a psychological thriller (the same argument applied to the likes of "The Shining" and "Silence of the Lambs" but I have to disagree, the master of suspense creates a gripping film and one that definitely has a great deal of shocks and scares. One particular scene I had my volume up to full watching it on my computer as not much had happened previously and sudden attack and screeching violins of the excellent Bernard Herrmann certainly gave me a shock.

The first third of the film creates an uneasy atmosphere as Marion Crane, portrayed by Marion Crane is followed by a policeman following her attempt to exit the town after she had stole $40,000 dollars from her boss. The film’s synopsis and first third points in one direction, Marion is attempting to flee town as she gets tailed by a suspicious police officer, she then stops at the Bates Motel where she meets a charming young man Norman Bates who has been too long under the domination of his mother.

We sympathise in a way with both of their situations. Marion’s act of stealing her boss’s money seems odd considering how long she has worked there but it is understandable. Bates’ situation is one we can perhaps sympathise more with. He has chosen to stay with his mother because she is ill, Detective Arbogast suggests in the middle of the film that he would understand Bates situation of being stuck in the failing Motel and why he would want to take the $40,000 to get away.

One of the best things about "Psycho" is the performance of Anthony Perkins as Norman Bates, his character really his scary and creepy and it horrifies me to think of someone like Vince Vaughan playing this character. The final scene is one of the best, most memorable and one of the creepiest in the whole film, in fact film history.

Slight Spoilers in paragraph - Due to the film's synopsis and stars involved it was great for the film to take so many unexpected twists along the way that I was certainly not expecting. I had heard about the famous shower scene before watching the film but for it to come so early on was more than surprising.

Like when I had seen "Vertigo" and "North by Northwest", with "Psycho" I knew I had just seen a masterpiece. “Vertigo” is a visually brilliant and more enjoyable emotional based story was as “North by Northwest” is a fun action filled film that is very enjoyable. “Psycho” I think trumps both of them for me, Hitchcock does a brilliant job of using his directional talent to create a suspenseful and scary film like none other, it’s 52 years since it was made and it certainly had an impact on me, a fantastic horror that relies on great suspense instead of cheap and gory scenes we see in many modern horrors.

RATING:

Psycho is the greatest Hitchcock film. I certainly think it is.
Yeh, out of the films of his I've seen I think I'd rate them in this order

Psycho
North by Northwest
Vertigo
Rear Window
Shadow of a Doubt
The Birds
To Catch a Thief
The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

Still got a few more I really want to see, Dial M for Murder, Strangers on a Train, Notorious, Rebecca etc.

Psycho is also the best movie of Hitchcock I've seen so far.Notorious is a great movie,you should see it. I would place it next to Vertigo and Rear Window(didn't like Northwest a lot).

I'll never forget the first time I saw Psycho, I was about 10 years old... the scene where he walks out of the bedroom carrying his mother actually made me jump and seriously freaked me out.
Awesome scene technically too, the camera follows up the stairs then pans round for a birdseye view, all in one shot. Superb.

Nice review too mate , makes me want to watch it but I haven't got it on home cinema