JayDee's Movie Musings

→ in
Tools    

I think you should watch a few movies for pure enjoyment without actually considering writing them up. There's no reason for having low self-esteem around here. This site is huge and probably has many places you've never even explored. Just relax and share yourself elsewhere here and you'll probably get some positive feedback from your comments.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
I think you should watch a few movies for pure enjoyment without actually considering writing them up. There's no reason for having low self-esteem around here.
You're probably right; of the last 85 or so films I've watched I've also gone ahead and wrote up extensive reviews for about 75/80 of them. And I know I shouldn't have it but it's easier said than done. I've got years and years of suffering from social anxiety and all that encapsulates. Working on it but still got a long way to go.

Ok here are the couple of reviews that I'd already started work on before deciding on a break. Decided to go ahead and finish them off, though they are a lot shorter and less in-depth than the norm. Just a couple of more basic reviews which I've combined into one post.

miror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
David Cronenberg

Written by
David Cronenberg
Norman Snider
Bari Wood (novel - "Twins)
Jack Geasland (novel - "Twins")

Starring
Jeremy Irons
Genevieve Bujold

Dead Ringers

Plot – Beverly Mantle (Irons) and Elliot Mantle (Irons again! ) are identical twins who are both in the gynaecological profession. With no-one able to tell the apart they frequently take advantage of it for their own gains and amusement. However when an actress (Bujold) enters their lives, their individual existences and their relationship begin to unravel.

I think I need a shower! That's the feeling this film left me with. I found it to be a rather skeezy, unseemly effort. Tapping in to the fascination of twins that many people seem to have, it's quite a disturbing little tale of these brothers who have an unnaturally close, and unhealthy relationship. Though I should probably have seen the tone coming right from its faintly ominous opening credits, as images of birth and surgical tools dance across the screen against a backdrop of dark crimson.

For me what I found this film to be was a showcase for the acting talents of Jeremy Irons. It's quite a staggering achievement from the man who would be Simon Gruber as he depicts two very similar, but at the same time disparate characters; each with their own individual ticks, mannerisms and traits. And most of it achieved merely through body language. As a result for the majority of the time it is actually surprisingly easy to tell which character we are watching at any time. As the love interest of the twins, Genevieve Bujold once again impressed me with her intelligence, strength and sensuality. One big flaw I found with the film was the lack of Bujold, in particular the way she disappears from the film towards the end.

The most interesting aspect of the film was obviously the relationship between the brothers. In a way it seemed like they were one person – one persona split over two bodies. With their distinct personalities together they form a strong bond, but when Bujold's actress enters the scene and divides them both characters begin to crumble, and their lives fall apart.

I can see others finding this film to be very artistic and ambitious, and by tackling themes such as obsession, addiction, loneliness and identity it certainly feels like it should be ambitious and worthwhile. For the most part however I found it to be rather trashy and

Conclusion – I can just about understand why some people do love this film but not for me. While I found it to be an undoubtedly fascinating watch, it's one that I was not able to embrace or truly like. Even with the tremendous efforts of Jeremy Irons in the lead role (which was just about enough to get it by) at no point did I form a strong connection to it, and I'm not sure I envisage ever revisiting it.

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
Ryan Fleck

Written by
Ryan Fleck
Anna Boden

Starring
Ryan Gosling
Shareeka Epps
Anthony Mackie
Monique Gabriela Cumen

Half Nelson

Plot –Dan Dunne (Gosling) is a history teacher at an inner city junior high school. Despite suffering from a serious drug problem he is able to keep up the pretence that he is ok. Until one of his students, Drey (Epps) discovers his secret. This does not destroy any great illusions she had about him, instead it brings them close together as a friendship forms. She can understand his struggles and frustrations with life.

Freedom Writers, To Sir With Love, Dead Poet's Society, Mona Lisa Smile, Mr Holland's Opus, Finding Forrester, The Great Debaters, Coach Carter, Kindergarten Cop! and on and on - Hollywood isn't exactly lacking in inspirational teacher movies, in fact it seems to churn one out every couple of years. While this film may exist in that environment it sidesteps a lot of the clichés of the genre that you expect it to include. Yes it may have a teacher trying to inspire his students with a unique, unorthodox style. And yes it may have a white teacher teaching a class of poor black kids. But Gosling's teacher is no great idol, it shows him having just as many issues and troubles as the students he teaches. And yet he still has an effect on the life of one of his students. Though it is the student who eventually has just as much of a profound effect on his life.

The film's highlight is the relationship that develops between Mr Dunne and Drey, and the performances that bring it to life. Gosling delivers a performance that is both winning and very touching, showing the charisma we know he is capable of, but revealing it to be a show he puts on for the kids. And as young Drey, Shareeka Epps gives one of the best performances from a child actor I've probably ever seen. Also worthy of a mention is Anthony Mackie, whose drug dealer is not constrained by the type of stereotypes you usually expect for such a character.

The film does end on a small ray of hope, but not a big Hollywoodised bit of hope. We don't know for sure that everything is going to be ok, we just see the characters given a chance at hope but realising that they have a long way to go if they are to realise it.

Conclusion – It's not exactly a feel good film, much of it is really quite depressing actually. But the performances of Gosling and Epps make it a worthwhile journey to take.

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Dead Ringers is probably my favorite Cronenberg film. I see what you mean by the shower comment though ; it's not a comfortable film.

Half Nelson almost made it on my mofo millennium list, but I felt like I needed to re-watch it first and I never got around to it.

By the way, I hope you'll continue doing reviews after you take your break. Yours are one of my favorites and I still always try to read them if I' ve seen the movie

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
These are both movies with terrific critical reviews with which I have major problems. I think that Jeremy Irons is awesome, and he works well with Genevieve in Dead Ringers. The movie seems to be building up steam and then halfway through, falls down in the rabbit hole, making it an extremely personal film for Cronenberg. It's somewhat reminiscent of the second half of Barton Fink, which a lot of people think falls apart, but I prefer Fink. My rating for Dead Ringers is
which you have to put into perspective with my rating of The Fly which is

Half Nelson is one that everybody seems to love, but I have two major problems with it. 1) The movie is completely unbelievable, especially in the 'hood. I kept waiting for the teacher to be attacked or killed, and it's not because I have a negative cliche about urban/suburban inner cities. After all, I've worked at a continuation high school in Santa Ana for over 10 years, so I know something about violence, drugs and family right in my face. I'll admit that I never felt danger (I welcome Death), but Gosling's character is either an idiot or has a Drunken Angel watching over him. The film is so full of itself for presenting a teacher as a drug addict (HA!) that it doesn't bother with any other stretches of verisimilitude, so there are none. My rating is
. Sorry, viddy and Holds.

Great to hear your thoughts Mark, very interesting. Especially as you have a unique perspective that most, if not all of us, don't have. And you really must have disliked it as I don't think I remember you giving out a score as low as that too often. To a certain extent I'd say we are similar in terms of rating films fairly generous. Even films that are roundly criticised you will commonly rate around 2.5 or 3.

By the way, I hope you'll continue doing reviews after you take your break. Yours are one of my favorites and I still always try to read them if I' ve seen the movie
Thanks for that mate. I appreciate it.

Just want to say that I think I might be taking a break from my reviews for a while, just feeling a bit burnt out by them. And just a bit low and rundown in general at the moment. A lot of being burnt out is probably down to the feedback situation, but that's on me and not you guys reading. I'm pretty f**ked up in a number of ways, including having low self esteem and obsessing over what others think of me. So I obsess over some of my reviews that get little attention, and a result it's damaging the amount of enjoyment I was getting from actually writing them. So will take a break and try to recharge.

You have a wrong perception of yourself. Your reviews are exceptional. You definitely have a talent there and should nurture it. There's just a few people here whose reviews I always read and you are one of them.
Even though I've seen almost all these movies you guys review, I read the reviews because of the exceptional writing and analyses.
So, chin up, friend, and keep dishing out the good stuff. You are one of the people that makes it a pleasure to participate on these Forums.

You have a wrong perception of yourself. Your reviews are exceptional. You definitely have a talent there and should nurture it. There's just a few people here whose reviews I always read and you are one of them.
Even though I've seen almost all these movies you guys review, I read the reviews because of the exceptional writing and analyses.
So, chin up, friend, and keep dishing out the good stuff. You are one of the people that makes it a pleasure to participate on these Forums.
You're a guy right? Assuming you are that's a great shame as I think I just fell in love with you a bit while reading that!

But seriously thank you, very touched by your words, especially about being one of the few people you always read and one of the people who make this place a pleasure.

I do plan on returning to them at some point, but for a little while at least I think I'll just stick with mini thoughts in the movie tab thread. Will probably post the here as well just to keep everything collected.

The Eiger Sanction

-
There's the flamboyant, raging homosexual villain Miles Mellough and his bodybuilder henchman (oh and Miles has a little dog called Fa**ot!).
Hi JayDee. Sorry to hear you're feeling a little low. Chin up old bean. You deserve a rest after putting in so much hard work over the last few months with these great reviews you're giving us all. I'll just echo Mark's sentiment by saying you should take a break and watch some movies for plain old escapism and nothing more. Maybe just tab them with a rating and a couple of lines if you feel compelled to write something. You know I used to care too much what people thought of me on this site, and that insecurity made me lose my temper with other members (including Mark) on more than one occasion. Then I just learned to let go and I've had a much better time here since. Besides, you have no reason to care. The time and effort put in, and your love of film is obvious. The thread speaks for itself, and just because people aren't repping and commenting doesn't necessarily mean we're not reading.

Anyway, at this juncture I must briefly highjack your thread to give a special mention to the late great Jack Cassidy who tragically died in a house fire prematurely, aged only 49.

In my opinion Jack is the best thing about The Eiger Sanction (which I'd rate a
incidentally) and never fails to make me smile when he appears on screen. Miles Mellough is so riotously camp, he's just the perfect foil for Eastwood's cultured, but still typically macho agent Hemlock, and their scenes together are the best in the film.

Naturally I also know Jack from the three Columbo episodes he appeared in. The first of which, Murder By The Book was directed by Steven Spielberg, and is one of the very best the series has to offer (it's my personal favourite after Any Old Port In A Storm with Donald Pleasence). Publish Or Perish is rather average (save for Jack), but Now You See Him with Jack perfectly cast as a dastardly magician is another classic episode. Essentially he always exuded a gleeful mischief which makes him highly watchable, and most memorable of the stars who appeared in multiple episodes as different characters. I know he did lots of other television work, so if Mark or anyone else has recommendations then I'd love to hear them.

Perhaps Jack Cassidy should have his own thread.

Maybe just tab them with a rating and a couple of lines if you feel compelled to write something. You know I used to care too much what people thought of me on this site, and that insecurity made me lose my temper with other members (including Mark) on more than one occasion. Then I just learned to let go and I've had a much better time here since. Besides, you have no reason to care. The time and effort put in, and your love of film is obvious. The thread speaks for itself, and just because people aren't repping and commenting doesn't necessarily mean we're not reading.
Thanks also to you UF for the kind words. Wow you guys are all so nice! I swear I wasn't looking for any pity or encouragement with my announcement but I certainly appreciate it.

And that's what I've decided to do, just tab and write a little about them. Although my thoughts on Godfather got away from me a little. Oh really, what made you lose your temper? Touched that you can see my love for film coming through my reviews.

Naturally I also know Jack from the three Columbo episodes he appeared in.
Might need to give them a watch, the first of his is a great one.

I'm back bitches!!! Don't get too excited though, it's just a one off for the moment. Originally I just intended to do a paragraph or two for the movie tab, but as with The Godfather it started to get away from me. I just decided to go with it and do a full review. And I even included some trivia just for you Rodent!

mirror
mirror

Year of release

Directed by
John McTeigue

Written by
Andy Wachowski (script)
Lana Wachowski (script)
Alan Moore (graphic novel)

Starring
Natalie Portman
Hugo Weaving
Stephen Rea
John Hurt
Stephen Fry

V for Vendetta

+

Plot – In the year 2020 Britain has become a strongly fascist state. Under the rule of an authoritarian government there seems to be little hope for the people, until the arrival of a masked freedom fighter by the name of V (Weaving). While on patrol, V comes across the secret police known as The Fingermen harassing a young woman. Rescuing her he finds an unlikely ally in the girl, who he comes to know as Evey (Portman). Destroying the Old Bailey courthouse he begins a revolution that he plans to culminate in one year's time by blowing up the Houses of Parliament.

This is a tremendously interesting and intriguing film. It's a film that delivers on costumed action thrills, but also proves to be though provoking stuff and it is able to address a number of large issues and themes such as fascism, authoritarianism, the power of an idea, anarchism, vengeance, corruption, idealism, a few other isms! and about knowing the time when one has to rise up against their own government. When do things cross the line from it being an act of treason to a noble action which must be taken against an inept or corrupt government to change things for the better?

Alan Moore was originally inspired to write V for Vendetta by the political landscape of of early 1980s Britain. And while we're now a couple of decades down the line the story still feels relevant. And in all likelihood it will continue to do so. We are always going to be either in the midst of or in the recent wake of something along the lines of an unpopular war, a political scandal, a financial meltdown or who knows what else. And it doesn't take a lot of effort to get from this film to the Arab Springs which have occurred over the last couple of years across the Middle East and Africa in countries such as Egypt, Tunisia and Syria. In these countries rulers have been forced from power, civil uprisings have occurred and major protests have taken place.

Film trivia – Hugo Weaving was not actually the first man to don V's Guy Fawkes mask. James Purefey was the man originally cast as V, but he had to leave the production after four weeks of filming as he felt he couldn't breathe behind the mask. And in fact some of the footage he shot still exists within the film, with Weaving's voice merely dubbed over his.
Portman delivers a strong performace even if her accent was a little on the dodgy side at times. That aside however she does very well, fully convincing in the character's arc from law abiding citizen to renegade vigilante and right hand man to V. Her scenes when Evey has been imprisoned are particularly effecting and moving. She is outshone however by her masked co-star. While we never see his face at any point in the film Hugo Weaving deserves a lot of credit for his vocal performance. He both conveys and evokes a lot of feeling and passion merely through the use of his voice and creates an anti-hero who is a mysterious, eccentric and charismatic force. A compelling performance. In general the film is filled out with a strong supporting cast. Stephen Fry is always a pleasure to watch, and having no idea of his involvement it was a delightful surprise. Oh and while it may stray into over the top territory every so often John Hurt's Chancellor Sutler makes for a fantastically detestable villain.

Despite being a big comic guy I have never read Alan Moore's original creation, and I have also been lucky enough not to be spoiled about the movie in the six years since its release. That's something I was very pleased with as it meant I was able to be gripped completely by the story; I was thrilled by V's developing plan (loved the moment were he sends out all the masks), taken in by every twist and turn and developed a real sense of caring and fear for the wellbeing of the characters involved. In particular the moment were we learn the reality of Evey's imprisonment was a real gut punch for me. What is interesting is watching the convergent evolution that develops between V and Evey. We see their actions and words frequently mirrored throughout the film, and come the film's conclusion both individuals have arrived in the same place. The film also makes us question V's actions. While things undoubtedly have to change is he the one to instigate it? And is his course the correct one? Does vengeance have a place in a revolution?

As quite a staunch liberal I have to admit to being quite taken with the film's leftist views and ideas. And I always love when digs are taken at large establishments such as the government and the church. I particularly enjoyed the none too subtle swipe at the church through the bishop with a penchant for young girls.

Film trivia – There is quite a memorable scene in the film where V knocks over a large series of red and black dominoes which when they fall form a giant letter V. To set the scene up required 22,000 dominoes, which were assembled by 4 professional domino assemblers in a total of 200 hours.
The actual look of the film is a bit unusual and I'm not exactly sure what to make of it. It's not your typically dystopia landscape, it's just all rather grey. And even the way it is filmed did not feel like your typical big budget Hollywood flick, more like a high quality British TV drama. I don't know if they wanted to create a drab, bleak landscape to give it quite an 80s veneer as if the country has stagnated; as if it has become trapped in time under this oppressive regime. And the only time that colour ever explodes (literally) onto the screen is at the hands of V. The design of V himself is fantastic, very powerful and instantly iconic. The moment near the film's conclusion where hundreds/thousands of people march through the streets of London dressed in full V garb of cape and mask is a wonderfully striking and stirring image.

And there are very glaring flaws in my opinion. The pacing is perhaps a little languid in places and there is certainly a couple of instances of pretentious sounding dialogue; dialogue that may have worked fine on the pages of Moore's comic, but comes across as clumsy on screen. In particular I'm thinking of V's alliterative introduction to Evey which includes 55 words beginning with the letter v. Evey's summing up at the film's conclusion is also falls in to the same trap. That aside there is much more to love than not.

Conclusion – This comic book flick cum political thriller poses a number of interesting questions and is fairly well handled throughout by debut director James McTeigue, whether it be the moment of balletic action or the more dialogue heavy scenes. I could perhaps have rated the film slightly higher but went a little cautious with it, and as a film I can certainly see myself revisiting a number of times it will certainly have the opportunity to gain a higher score

First rep first post!
I'm so pleased for you! I was going to say I hope you're not the only rep and post, but I see another couple of people have now repped it - thanks to them.

You should read the graphic novel. I 'm a fan of both that and the movie.
I certainly intend to. Will either get round to picking it up myself, or could save it for my Christmas list!

I have to say I was quite surprised at just how popular V for Vendetta is, wasn't aware of it. When I was searching the forum turns out there are a lot of people who love it, and it's a film that even brings together Mark and Honeykid! It's pretty much just that and Jaws!

Oh and it's also at #166 on the imdb top 250 list which amazed me.

Dead Ringers is a flawed but interesting psychological horror. Totally understandable how off-putting it may be for many viewers; it's undeniably nasty and even somewhat dull at times. For those with, how do I say, a strong constitution as well as patience to bear with its self-absorbed ugliness, it's a compelling movie.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

For those with, how do I say, a strong constitution as well as patience to bear with its self-absorbed ugliness, it's a compelling movie.
It certainly is compelling in its own way. While I didn't come close to really 'liking' it at no point did I come close to abandoning it, and watched it in one go. There was something of a car crash about it, you feel you shouldn't be watching but your morbidly fascinated!

Oh, and V For Vendetta is excellent. I rank it up there with The Dark Knight.
Wow that's high praise. I hope you enjoyed my review then

You're a guy right? Assuming you are that's a great shame as I think I just fell in love with you a bit while reading that!

But seriously thank you, very touched by your words, especially about being one of the few people you always read and one of the people who make this place a pleasure.

I do plan on returning to them at some point, but for a little while at least I think I'll just stick with mini thoughts in the movie tab thread. Will probably post the here as well just to keep everything collected.
I've been guilty of calling a Spade a Spade, so I just call them as I see'em, good or bad.

You are probably just a bit burned out, so it will be so much better when all-re-energized, your reviews will be even better. Looking forward to it.