Rodent's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Nice review I didn't pick the plot as easy as you

Review #142: Waterworld

In the distant future, the world will be covered with water after the ice caps melt and humans will live in a Mad Max Apocalyptic style world, but based on the ocean.
When a young girl appears in the company of a surrogate mother, it's learned that she has a map tattooed on her back. It is said that the map gives directions to a mythical place, unseen by human eye for centuries... a place called Dryland.

When a particular group of pirates called 'Smokers' hear of this map, they make it their mission to capture the child, but while escaping from the attack the child and her surrogate mother end up in the hands of a mysterious sailor known only as The Mariner.
Together they must protect the girl and the map (of course, if it is real), and help a bunch of stranded survivors to avoid the Smokers, and see if this apparent myth known as Dryland actually exists.

Still regarded today as the biggest box office failure of all time, Waterworld is actually a very clever movie, filled with imagination and a rather broad range of acting.

The overall feel of the movie is along the lines of Mad Max, but without the darker more brooding subject matters... instead, Waterworld swaps the darker stuff for more fantastical, even comicbook style adventure and action.

Though at the time, 1995, it cost near $240m to make... in today's money that's near $350m which actually outweighs today's movie budgets by $50m... Waterworld still manages to have a B-Movie feel to it.

The overall world built for and around the movie is still very imaginative though. There are numerous ideas throughout and characters and races of people that were going to be built on by the filmmakers, sadly though, in-fighting between cast, crew and studios cut short a lot of the production... leaving the finished product feeling slightly void of any real history or quantity.
There is an element of history there, just not as much as there could have been.

The film does utilise humour though, and does it in a very, very subtle way. Some of it is in jokes too that mainly sailors will spot but there's a number of scenes of odd-trio/buddy-movie comedy that shines through between the main trio of actors.

The main problem with the movie is, and this might sound a bit odd, is the imaginative premise: A water world.
The major plot hole is why Dryland is still mythical after centuries and centuries of people floating around on the ocean.
It doesn't quite work in the grande scheme of things.

The acting though is really good for a movie of its type.
Kevin Costner as The Mariner is brilliantly quiet and grumpy. He's also incredibly tough and carries the burden of secrecy perfectly. There's more to Costner than meets the eye, not just in the character, but in the actor too.
Tina Majorino is also on top form as the tattoed girl Enola. Majorino is extremely annoying to Costner's tough Mariner, eventually finding a common ground with him and becoming stalwart buddies.
Jeanne Tripplehorn does an apt job as Enola's surrogate mother, she has an air of toughness and wisdom about her and plays the more motherly and softer scenes perfectly.

The standout role though is Dennis Hopper as The Deacon, the leader of the Smokers. He's very good in the role. Think along the lines of a cross between his role in Land Of The Dead with touches of Frank Booth and King Koopa in Super Mario Bros. and you're getting close. He's also the main actor to give the hits of humour involved throughout the movie.

Now... the action. It's highly charged, contains masses of explosive adventure and the humour involved, though as I said mainly comes from Hopper, lifts the action to greater levels of enjoyment.
Backing up the choreography is some really well rendered and pieced together special effects, and it's mainly practical with only the odd matt-painting and miniature work. Pretty much the whole film is on the ocean too and the technical aspects of this are exceptionally well put together.

---

All in all, I'm finding it hard to see why Waterworld bombed at the box office. It's exciting, full of imagination, comedy, action, great acting and the screenplay is top work.
The overall premise and plot are a bit far fetched, but what makes it work is that the movie isn't actually trying to be a serious Apocalyptic movie like Mad Max was.

My rating: 91%

Sit Ubu Sit.... Good Dog
Oh yeah and really great review of American History X, I loved that movie and think that everyone should watch it at least once, now do what I say and bite the curb.

I don't remember asking you a ******* thing!
Waterworld was just too farfetched and full of plotholes for me to fully enjoy without going all Mystery Science Theater on it. I still get a kick out of watching Costner "act" and seeing the over-the-top action scenes and acting of Dennis Hopper. It's everything else that I can't really get into.

How about a review of The Fifth Element, Rodent? Assuming you haven't already. I've been watching a lot of Bruce Willis movies lately, and that one just popped into my head.

Cheers for the replies guys... Fifth Element is one of my favourites... so here you go...

Review #143: The Fifth Element

When an apparently unstoppable force is discovered to be heading toward Earth in the distant future, humanity finds itself looking to an alien race of beings capable of halting this force forever.

But when the plan goes awry, it's down to an alien clone, a priest, a radio host and a taxi driver to save the day.
What awaits them all is a grand explosive adventure that will take them among the stars and into the Galaxy to fight for the human race against not only this evil force, but also a human traitor and another more powerful force of alien beings.

Luc Besson's flick is a bit of a Marmite movie really.
It contains all the right ingredients for a sci-fi action adventure... comedy, explosions, gun fights, great acting, superb action and lashings of effects... but it's Besson's usual stylish take on the story and the overall look of the finished product that puts a few people off.
The highest ratings I've seen for the film were around the 70%-75% region and is classed as a Cult Film by many websites and critics alike.

However, for me, what makes the movie special is the overall finished product... it's campy, hammy even and has masses of original ideas combined seemlessly with existing sci-fi ideas and the overall story and plot are absolutely fantastic.
There's also some extremely well pieced together plot devices and some lovely history going on throughout the film too.
The history in question is within the well rounded backstory of the plot and story and with the characters as well, they're all really well developed and have actually been written rather than just thrown together hurriedly.

Another thing that stands out is the overall colourful and bright costumes and setting of the world that Besson is directing.
Most of it comes from highly camp fashion desinger Jean-Paul Gaultier as costume designer and the artistic talents of Jean-Claude Mezieres and Jean Giraud.
The overall feel of the artistic talent on show can seem a little tongue in cheek sometimes but Besson's direction and the acting involved really give the film its own flavour compared to other sci-fi movies.

The acting is also great.
Bruce Willis as Corben Dallas (taxi driver and ex Marine) is brilliantly put together by Willis. He plays the comedy very subtley and edges more toward the invincible hero of the 80s actioner... but Willis' natural on-screen presence lifts the character brilliantly.

Milla Jovovich as Leeloo (the clone) is on top form though. It's not Jovovich's usual action character really, she's full of humour and has a real personality about her in this movie. As far as the action goes, it's the film that made her career, it's just a shame that since this movie the rest of her actioners have been pretty dull. This is by far her best action character.

Chris Tucker makes a great appearance as Ruby Rhod, radio show extraordinaire. Tucker seems to have been given free reign with the role and it really shows. He's funny, annoying, makes the more serious scenes a bit more light hearted and really nails the role of a sex god with a difference.

Gary Oldman as Mr Zorg is another top performance. He's never actually on-screen at the same time as Willis though, which seems a bit odd that the main antagonist and protagonist never actually meet... but still, Oldman really makes an impression as the greedy, slimy, mildly psychotic yet still likeable bad guy. He's the kind of baddie that you love to love really.

Back up comes in the form of Ian Holm, Brion James, Tommy Tiny Lister, Luke Perry, Tricky and comedian Lee Evans.

As for the action, it's explosive, full of high kicking stunts, lots of gunfire and the budget hasn't been spared on anything really. The CGI effects and occasional wire work also blend in perfectly with the louder action scenes.
It's also very exciting when it gets going and the humour that's laced throughout the film works brilliantly with the camp and colourful characters involved in the various explosions and fist fights.

---

All in all, I can see why some people don't like the film... but as a whole it's a romping sci-fi-adventure that's brilliantly choreographed and written in terms of action and plot and the artistry that went into the production really has to be seen to be believed.
A very good sci-fi indeed and is laced with humour and campness throughout.

My rating: 93%

I really like The Fifth Element due to how goofy, yet sophisticated it is. I'm a sucker for films that show intelligence, but are still comfortable enough to sprinkle some ham and cheese here and there. Makes for great entertainment, in my book.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Love Fifth Element. Made it onto my last top 100 list, somewhere around the 60s/70s I think.

Think I'll take a rest from reviews for a while... JayDee will be pleased
So much for the rest! And yes I would have been pleased had I not decided on my own hiatus for a while.

Love Fifth Element. Made it onto my last top 100 list, somewhere around the 60s/70s I think.

So much for the rest! And yes I would have been pleased had I not decided on my own hiatus for a while.
Hmmm..... I smell a conspiracy. Did you guys collude with Bumblebee?

Just been talking about this in the Stallone thread... so here's a review.

Review #144: Cop Land

The town of Garrison, New Jersey, is a town which is basically where most of New York's police officers live. Sheriff Freddy Heflin is the guy who has to police this town.
Heflin is a failed New York cop, he's partially deaf and not really very bright... but he's trying, hard working and friendly but still, isn't exactly the role model cop that he would want to be. He's also not super fit physically either.

When a particular incident occures within the city limits which results in the deaths of innocent teenagers at the hands of a cop, it seems that corrupt cops and some almost political cover-ups are taking place...

... and Sheriff Heflin ends up (whether he wants to be or not) smack bang in the middle of it.
He is after all the Sheriff of Cop Land and he must do what is right, as he has done all his life, and bring an end to the corruption... but not only will he be taking on the entire New York police force, but people he considers friends and allies will become involved in his clean cut law abiding ways.

A very, very well pieced together drama-action with a very well used plot (good cop fighting corrupt cops etc) is brought to the screen by director James Mangold.

Cop Land actually plays against type with a lot of the actors involved and steers itself away from the typical Hollywood explosions and superhuman hero cops and goes for as more realistic take on the well used plot devices.

What gives Cop Land a different feel is the screenplay. It's been written absolutely brilliantly. There's a backstory there in regard to story and plot, there's backstory to the characters involved and there's also a lovely brooding outtake on the turns of events by all the actors involved too.
The other thing is the mystery involved that turns into more of a 'do the right thing' movie in the third act.
Some of the actual mystery falls a little flat and is opened up to the viewer relatively quickly, but the movie does this knowingly to give the audience something to get behind the heroes on as the movie progresses.

There are some hits of action throughout, but it comes in drips and drabs but the well rounded character writing adds much much more to the action involved... it adds a massive element of real life and realism to the overall feel of the more exciting scenes.

The other thing that gives the movie an edge is the ensemble talent on show, Sly Stallone, Robert De Niro, Harvey Keitel, Ray Liotta, Robert Patrick, Janeane Garofalo and Michael Rapaport are just a handful of recognisable faces on show.

Stallone in particular is a massive surprise as Sheriff Heflin. He's playing against type. He's real, believeable as the torn hero and his take on the simple minded, half deaf Sheriff out to do the right thing is exceptionally well played. Definitely Sly's best acting performance.

The onscreen chemistry, not just between Sly and De Niro (which is fantastic by the way), but between all the actors on screen is exceptional. They all play their roles perfectly. Some roles are kept off screen a little more than I'd like, namely Ray Liotta and De Niro, I wanted to see more of them and their disparate exploits in the story.
Still though, as I said, the performances they give are top work.

---

All in all, a surprisingly well written, shot and directed movie and is acted brilliantly by the ensemble cast. It's also extremely good at creating the audience-character connections.
A definite must see drama-action.

My rating: 94%

I LOVE The Fifth Element.

Oh yeah, and Cop Land is underrated too. Stallone was a perfect schlub.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Cop Land - another film I really like. We certainly have very similar tastes. And I love Stallone's performance in it

Hmmm..... I smell a conspiracy. Did you guys collude with Bumblebee?
Says the guy who seemed to disappear for about 3 months!!!

But yeah Bumblebee hasn't been about much

145th review, 205th movie... bit of a Special Favourite of mine and in keeping with my 140th/200th Special...

Review #145: Mississippi Burning

Jessup County, Mississippi 1964, two white Civil Rights workers and an African American Civil Rights worker are murdered in cold blood by the Ku Klux Klan.
Brought in to investigate are two FBI Agents Alan Ward and Rupert Anderson.
Anderson in particular was a Mississippi Sheriff back in his younger days and has a rather heavy handed and hard-headed way of getting the truth out of his suspects. Ward however is a Liberal, and prefers to talk and use paperwork as a weapon.

When it appears that pretty much the entire town is part of the murder and are members of the KKK, the two FBI Agents must do everything they can... even if it means coming to loggerheads with one another, to get to the truth of the murders and bring an end to the racial tension and basic terrorism that is taking place in the rural areas of Southern America.

Based loosely on the real life murders of three Civil Rights workers in Mississippi in 1964, albeit with a number of the facts changed around, Burning gives the viewer an incredibly exciting, disturbing and extremely well pieced together story of morality, drama, emotion and the odd hit of action too.

The other main part of the story is friendship and loyalty... whether it's the relationship between the FBI Agents, the KKK members and their families or even between the black/white divide of the populous... the movie is laced brilliantly with the torn relationships of all involved and plays on the feelings of the viewer wonderfully.

A lot of the action toward the end is also felt brilliantly by the audience. The viewer can't help but get behind the good guys and spurn them on in their heavy handed exploits at getting justice for the victims of race crime. The audience character connection is absolutely top notch, including the connection to the bad guys and it gives the louder and more exciting scenes a real lift.

The acting is also top drawer.
Gene Hackman as the heavy handed Anderson is an absolute mark of genius. His cool calm persona is second only to the harder scenes where Hackman really comes into his brutal element. He's one of the stand out roles... and certainly one of Hackman's best.
Willem Dafoe as Ward is also on top form. His pencil pushing Liberal is played perfectly and Dafoe is almost unrecognisable as the FBI Agent who changes his mentality toward violence as the film goes on.

Brad Dourif and Frances McDormand as Deputy Pell and wife respectively are also two more stand out roles... McDormand in particular has massive chemistry on screen with Hackman and Brad... and Dourif's character lives with the viewer even when he's not on screen.

Back up comes in the form of an ensemble cast of R Lee Ermey, Michael Rooker, Gailard Sartain, Pruitt Taylor Vince, Tobin Bell, Yaphet Koto and the brilliantly underrated Kevin Dunn.

---

All in all, ok I compared it to American History X at the start of this review but Burning is really a different movie altogether based on the same premise of racial tension.
It's an incredibly well acted and written drama about the brutal sides of humanity and has a genuinely exciting screenplay on many levels that hits the viewer very very hard. The action, though it comes in smaller chunks, is well choreographed and exciting too.

My Rating: 100%

Well... the recent thread on '80s movies has got me thinking...

... I've reviewed a bunch 80s classics and their sequels in my thread over the past few months, here's the rundown on them so far:

#1- Young Guns
#9- The 'Burbs
#11- Predator
#12- Robocop
#13- John Carpenter's The Thing
#15- Terminator Foursome (1-4)
#22- Full Metal Jacket
#26- Christopher Reeve Superman Foursome (1-4) And Superman Returns
#29- Ghostbusters
#30- Star Wars Franchise (1-6)
#31- Critters
#36- The Abyss
#38- John Carpenter's The Fog
#40- The Shining
#41- Indiana Jones Foursome (1-4)
#44- Rocky Franchise (1-6)
#45- The Lost Boys
#47- Alien Foursome (1-4 Includes A Rerun Of Review #8)
#49- Gremlins Duo (1 & 2)
#55- Bladerunner
#61- Ghostbusters Duo (1 & 2 Includes A Rerun Of Review #29)
#65- Cat's Eye
#68- The Karate Kid (Original Movie)
#69- Die Hard Franchise (1-4)
#70- Poltergeist
#75- Critters Foursome (1-4 Includes A Rerun Of Review #31)
#78- The Fly (1986 Remake)
#80- Back To The Future Trilogy (1-3)
#81- Lethal Weapon Foursome (1-4)
#82- Star Trek Franchise (1-11)
#84- An American Werewolf In London
#93- Highlander
#94- The Goonies
#95- Burton's Batman
#113- Little Shop Of Horrors
#126- Legend
#127- Dead Calm
#129- Top Gun
#131- Twins
#145- Mississippi Burning

What got me thinking, is that I did a 5 Pixar Movie Marathon a while back so I've gotten myself in the mood to do another Marathon: 80s Classics And Their Sequels.

15 reviews, mixed bag of Sci-Fi, Comedy, Drama, War, Thriller and a few from in between.

To kick it off then...

Part Of Rodent's 15 Review Marathon Of The 1980s Classics And Their Sequels

Review #146 (1st of 15):

Beverly Hills Cop Trilogy

Beverly Hills Cop

Axel Foley is a reckless and cocky Detroit Cop... when an old aquaintance shows up out of the blue, Axel is delighted and the pair go out for drinks... only for Axel and his friend to get attacked and Axel is knocked unconcious.
Upon waking up, he realises his friend is dead... and Axel, under the disapproval of his superiors, follows his Cop nose to discover the identity of the killer...

... what Axel discovers though is a massive drug smuggling ring in Beverly Hills and he has to enlist the help of the local Police Force to aid him in bringing down the ring, and bring justice for his murdered friend.

A pretty simplistic plot with a couple of relatively simple twists is backed up ferociously by Eddie Murphy's incredibly talent for comedy and smooth, cool persona.
BHC is a brilliantly pieced together crime-comedy-thriller that hits every nail on the head when it comes to action, laughs, thrills, spills and occassional genuine emotion too.

It's hard to put a finger on the specifics of what makes the film work, it's just as a whole the entire movie works wonderfully. The concoction of all the above elements is a very special one indeed.

The action involved is also one of the high points. There's many subtle levels to the more exciting scenes... not least the situational humour and occassional slapstick involved in the gunfights and explosions. It's exciting when it gets going and well choreographed too.

The entire cast hold all that together really well too.
Eddie Murphy as Axel Foley is an absolute mark of genius. Murphy's incredible persona and characteristics for the character are incredibly original. He's not just funny, but he's believeable, tough, has a human side and is perfect in the comedy-action scenes.

Judge Reinhold and John Ashton play Rosewood and Taggart respectively as two Beverly Hills Officers helping/hindering Axel in his exploits who are also perfectly cast.
Their on screen chemistry with each other and with Murphy is also brilliant... their roles also change as the movie progresses, from upstanding Officers of the law to slightly tainted individuals due to their time with Axel.

Rent-A-Baddie Steven Berkoff makes a nice appearance as the main antagonist, he plays the part well but could have been better.

Back up comes in the form of Ronnie Cox as Beverly Hills Police Captain Bogomil, Lisa Eilbacher, James Russo, Jonathan Banks, Paul Reiser, Bronson Pinchot and a young Damon Wayans makes an appearance too.

---

All in all, near perfect crime-comedy caper that has it all... laughs, explosions, action, emotion and a wonderfully synthesised 80s soundtrack.

My Rating: 97%

Beverly Hills Cop 2

When Captain Bogomil is shot while on duty, Rosewood and Taggart enlist the help of fellow officer and friend Axel Foley in tracking down the would-be killer.
It turns out the assassin is part of a much larger crime organisation and they need to bring down this ring of robbers and arms dealers before they can escape the country, never to be seen again.

With the success of the first film, the sequel was inevitable... a change in director was also a good point in regard to the studio's involvment. The late great Tony Scott took the helm for this installment.

What the second movie gives the audience is more of the same really, just slightly bigger and bolder in the action stakes... but that's it really...

... the humour of the original seems to have been completely withdrawn from the script with only the occassional hint of Murphy's trademark comedy in place of a more hard hitting action movie.

It's a shame really... the movie could have been far better than the first, the story, plot and screenplay are top notch and the action scenes are really really well put together and choreographed...

... but with lacking the freshness of the original and the massive lack of humour throughout, the movie has to be marked down considerably.

The acting however is as the first film.

This time round the viewer is treated to Brigitte Nielsen as Karla, a head henchman of the main antagonist. Nielsen's femme-fatale is absolutely perfect. She's threatening, sexy, full of charisma and plays her part brilliantly.
Jurgen Prochnow makes a show as main antagonist Maxwell Dent. He's another Rent-A-Baddie style villain but again, plays his part well.

Back up this time round comes in the forms of Dean Stockwell, Allen Garfield, Paul Reiser, Tommy Tiny Lister and... Chris Rock and Hugh Hefner make appearances too.

---

All in all, a big step back from the original... lacking in humour and the trademark laughs of the first film, there's still a hint of comedy, just not enough... the action is more highly charged and will suit action fans more than the first but the lack of coherancy between this and the original is a real low point. I'd still recommend it though due to the action side of things.

My Rating: 82%

Beverly Hills Cop 3

When Foley's Detroit Captain is shot during a bust, he dies in Foley's arms... upon following some clues left behind, Axel realises that the killer is living in Beverly Hills and may be being harboured by a rich local.
He hops on a plane and heads to see his old pals at the Beverly Hills Police Force in the hopes they can help him track down the murderer.

What they end up uncovering is an embezzlement plan and yet another crime syndicate... and Foley makes it his personal goal to show these guys up for who they are and bring his Captain's killer to justice.

Thsi time round the filmmakers have gone more toward the other direction... more comedy, more (a lot more) slapstick, almost comicbook style action that's OTT and OTT gadgets and guns and, to top things off, a Fairground setting.

It's really a case of excess with the third installment... it's just to much in the other direction. The second film, though it was edging toward the more serious actioner, at least kept thing relatively real and realistic in regards to action and thrills.
This time round the only thing lacking from proceedings is boingy sounds when someone falls over and a horn sound when someone lands on their backside.

It's highly gimmicky and incredibly comicbook... to the point that pretty much all the humour seems to have been developed with kids in mind rather than the adult based humour and action of the first two.
Even the Fairground setting as a base for the antagonist's dealings falls flat. It's just too much cheese.

It's also highly cheesey with a lot of the dialogue.

There is a screenplay though... sadly, it's a midge modge of the first film and second film and is very, very simplistic.

The acting is again spot on from Murphy, but he seems to have an air of "why am I here?" about him.
Judge Reinhold also seems to be getting tired of it all.

No John Ashton this time round, but he's replaced with a similar character and actor in the form of Hector Elizondo. Again another formulaic piece of writing but Elizondo plays his part well.

Timothy Carhart plays main antagonist Wallis Dewald... he's another apt baddie but just feels a bit bland for a bad guy.

Bronson Pinchot makes a reappearance. Other than that, the rest of the cast is pretty bare.

---

All in all, hugely disappointing and full of cheesey acting, dialogue and gimmicky elements to the script. It's even so comicbook in tone there's a cartoon character named after our main hero.
Awful movie to say the least.

My Rating: 27%