Connor Macgregor Reviews Thread

→ in
Tools    

Connor Macgregor Reviews...X Men:First Class

I'll start with First Class before i get into the rest of The X Men Films. I just came back from seeing this so here goes.

Before Charles Xavier and Erik Lensherr took the names Professor X and Magneto, they were two young men discovering their powers for the first time. Before they were archenemies, they were closest of friends, working together, with other Mutants (some familiar, some new), to stop the greatest threat the world has ever known. In the process, a rift between them opened, which began the eternal war between Magneto's Brotherhood and Professor X's X-MEN

I really enjoyed this film. This is a prequel which doesn't require you to see the X Men films (Although it does help) and give you a fresh look at the characters. The Story is great and takes you through both character's personal journey (More Magnetos). James McAvoy really nails it as Charles Xavier and puts his own little spin on the role. Michael Fassbender is also great as Magneto and is totally different from Ian McKellen's potrayal of Magneto. Jennifer Lawrence from Winter's Bone plays Mystique and is very good in it. Nicholas Hault most famous for being in the first generation of Skins plays Beast and is really impressive and very similar and true to the character of Beast as was Kelsy Grammer. There are some really good cameos in the film which i won't mention because they are really cool. I'd say if you watch carefully, there are three, although one isn't exactly confirmed, but its one i am guessing.

One thing i want to talk about the film is the ending. If you watch X3 and Wolverine, there are two distinct moments in the film in which First Class has now changed. Being that this could be the first of a trilogy, maybe they will write their way around it, but its a continuity issue i hope they could be smart enough to write their way through.

Overall, This is the best X Men Film since X2 and has a strong narrative, interesting characters and a great fun ride at the cinema that continues Summer Season at the cinema.

Rating - 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...X Men

After reviewing the prequel, i feel that i should get my hands into the rest of the film series. This Is X Men...1.

In a world where both Mutants and Humans fear each other, Marie D'Ancanto, better known as Rogue, runs away from home and hitches a ride with another mutant, known as Logan, a.k.a. Wolverine. Charles Xavier, who owns a school for young mutants, sends Storm and Cyclops to bring them back before it is too late. Magneto, who believes a war is approaching, has an evil plan in mind, and needs young Rogue to help him.

The film itself is a great film introduction to X Men. It introduces us to both good and evil characters with their own goals and personality, as well as powers. Professor X i think is the closest to the X Men closely followed by Wolverine. Hugh & Patrick just get the performances in the film pitch perfect. Ian McKellen is also very close to Magneto, but i think he adds his own thing to the role which makes Magneto such a great villian, even though he isn't really a villian, more a man who does bad things but for his own and other mutants good. Xavier takes a more calm approach, but Eric is more aggresive to furfill his mission.

Anna Paquin is also very good as Rogue and gives the character a new freshness. The problem with the film now is that it feels very dated. It still holds up but does have that 2000 feeling to it. Never the less, it doesn't affect the film's plot.

Overall, X Men is good fun and gives The X Men Franchise a good strong start.

Rating - 80% - B+

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
Nice review, Connor. I liked X-Men, but I thought it was too short and didn't have that much character development. Still, I'm glad you liked it a lot.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...X Men 2

I did X Men earlier in the month and now i shall review the sequel...This is X Men 2.

Several months had passed since The X-Men defeated Magneto and imprisoned him in a plastic chamber. One day, a mutant going by the name of "Nightcrawler" infiltrates The White House and attempts to assassinate The President. Meanwhile, Logan is trying to discover his past, and wonder why he became a mutant. However, the friction between the humans and mutants is grinding much harder. As a scientist named William Stryker is assigned to discover about Professor X's secret school and his chamber called "Cerebro". Meanwhile, Magneto's partner, Mystique, is planning to break her leader out of prison. Then, Professor X's school is attacked by Stryker's forces. Logan, Rougue, Iceman and others escaped. The rest of The X-Men meet in Boston along with Magneto, who escaped from prison. They must work together to stop Stryker and rescue Professor X.

I'll say this now and i stand by it for always. X Men 2 is the joint greatest comic book film of all time. It stands next to The Dark Knight proud. Why ? Well for starters its ability to handle many characters and give the majority of them a well deserved story arc. Jean Grey, Pyro, Storm, Nightcrawler, Wolverine, Magneto, Striker, Xavier and so on. It felt like an ensemble cast in many ways with the flexability of the characters and the major story arc taking place in the film. The best performance is a tricky one to place, but i think I will go with Hugh Jackman or Brian Cox. Two fantastic actors who give such charm and charisma to their roles. Striker is quite an evil bastard but he is cunning and ruthless to acheive his goal and some of the reasons in which he is a great villian.

I think the direction by Brian Singer tops the second one with vengeance. Clearly the man knows comic books and knows them well. I hope Singer does other things beside comic book films because there is more to typcast to a certain genre.

Overall, X Men 2 is one of Comic Book Films super hits. Great ensemble cast, direction, effects, music and much more. This is a film you must watch.

Rating - 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...X Men:The Last Stand

The Third in The X Men Trilogy and surely the one that has garnered the most criticism of the series, this is X Men 3.

It has been several months since The X-Men stopped William Stryker, but that victory came at a price, they have lost Jean Gray when she tried to save them from the collapsed reservoir. Scott Summers (Cyclops) is still grieving about her loss. One day, he came out to the place which is where Jean Gray sacrificed herself. Then, Jean Gray appeared right in front of him. Though, it seemed that after that, Scott had disappeared. Meanwhille, the rift between humans and mutants had finally reached the boiling point. When humans discovered what causes humans to mutate, they have found a cure for the mutation. The X-Men were appalled at this idea. It was not long at all until the news about the cure came to Magneto. He decides to organize an army of mutants and wage his war against the humans. Then, it became clear that Jean Gray evolved into the Pheonix, her new mutant powers are so strong that she can not control her own body...

For what this film is, its pretty good in terms of action sequences and costumes. It feels more like the comic book and less of a brooding tragedy. In many ways its a good thing, but it does share its weakness. This film has the weakest script which sounds botchy and awkwardly written, plus the direction isn't that great either. It doesn't feel like the actors are pulling in a convincing performance and feel like they are only going by the tail end of the seat. However i applaud Kelsey Grammer as Beast. He fits the role like a glove, and he would work even without the CGI. Hugh Jackman is his great self as always and Halle Berry is less impressive on screen that she was in the second one.

This film feels more lighter than the first two which were more dark and brooding, where as this one feels like The Batman & Robin of the series (Baring in mind i haven't actually seen Batman & Robin) and thus it gets the criticism that it does today. Overall though, its not terrible but nor is it any good. Its flawed and feels like filler. Never the less, watch it if your really bored.

Rating - 61% - B

Connor Macgregor Reviews...X Men Origins:Wolverine

The one people really get riled up on. The one people hate. Yet i don't know why, This is Wolverine.

Two mutant brothers, Logan and Victor, born 200 years ago, suffer childhood trauma and have only each other to depend on. Basically, they're fighters and killers, living from war to war through U.S. history. In modern times, a U.S. colonel, Stryker, recruits them and other mutants as commandos. Logan quits and becomes a logger, falling in love with a local teacher. When Logan refuses to rejoin Stryker's crew, the colonel sends the murderous Victor. Logan now wants revenge.

This film i don't think is terrible, but then again i do see why people do not like it. It doesn't tell an original story, but it does go back to the past. Its really in the end a standard summer blockbuster with its intention to sell as much merchandise as possible. Hugh Jackman does his good performance in this, Liev Schreiber is very good as Sabretooth and an improvement from Tyler Maine. However Danny Houston to me was disapointing as William Stryker and didn't feel like he put all in for this role.

The CGI Effects were average at best and the action sequences felt like they were there to sell the film where as the story itself just felt like it was thought up in 10 seconds and thus was the main problem with the film and thus why everyone pisses down on it today.

Overall, Disapointing but still enjoyable at the same time. Jackman is still cool and the action works but the story lacks and thus makes it not a very appealing film.

Rating - 61% - B

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Silence Of The Lambs

I hadn't seen this film, but i had heard the hype and talk about this film for years. So when i finally did see the film, I thought i wouldn't like it as much. Oh boy i was wrong.

Young FBI agent Clarice Starling is assigned to help find a missing woman to save her from a psychopathic serial killer who skins his victims. Clarice attempts to gain a better insight into the twisted mind of the killer by talking to another psychopath Hannibal Lecter, who used to be a respected psychiatrist. FBI agent Jack Crawford believes that Lecter who is also a very powerful and clever mind manipulator have the answers to their questions to help locate the killer. Clarice must first try and gain Lecter's confidence before he is to give away any information.

This film really gets people talking in many ways. Firstly is the pacing of the plot. Its pitch perfect in many ways. Its done in a way which fits the mood and tension of the film. Anthony Hopkins & Jodie Foster are fantastic in this film. Believeable performances and characters with a sense of personality. Hopkins really gives his most creapiest performance probably ever. I can't think of a more sinister psychotic performance than his in this film. Jodie Foster's performance works well as to compare with Hannibal. Clarice is the vulnerable but brave cop who must undertake an important task that puts her future on the line. Hannibal is a bad man, yet you just love the character due to the nature of the performance. Then there is Buffalo Bill played brilliantly by Ted Levine. A very dark twisted character that really gives a new meaning to the word fear in many ways.

The Direction by Johnathan Demme is deserving of an Academy Award. Its very precise and raw and realistic. The Lighting gives the film a sense of realism and gritty. I'm glad that the film did the success it did because everything in this film is close to pitch perfect.

Overall, this film is a classic and will remain as one of the best crime films ever made. Do watch this film when you have the chance.

Rating - 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Event Horizon

I heard good things about this film. Yet watching it, i felt it was very B rated. However there is some good out of this film.

In the year 2047 a group of astronauts are sent to investigate and salvage the long lost starship "Event Horizon". The ship disappeared mysteriously 7 years before on its maiden voyage and with its return comes even more mystery as the crew of the "Lewis and Clark" discover the real truth behind its disappearance and something even more terrifying.

Throughout the film, all i could think of was "A Poor Man's Alien" as it has roughly the same story and feel throughout the film. A Lost Spaceship being found with an unexplained force on board. The Acting is fairly decent, but won't be very memorable despite a good established cast (Lawrence Fishburne, Sam Neil & Jason Issacs). The Effects are average at best, but they do outdate now and have that 90s feel to them. The story is cliche as ever. Again Alien came to mind a lot during this film and i am surprised many people like this film as much as they do when it isn't enjoyable at times even boring to watch.

Short Review, But Overall Its decent enough to sit through and you will enjoy it for what it is. The Climatic scenes are exiting and creepy at the same time. If you see this lying around for a cheap price, then buy it and just sit back and enjoy.

Rating - 49% - C+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The King Of Comedy

A Film that happened to be on TV and thought why not ? saves me buying this on DVD. Well never the less...its a film that really is worth watching.

Rupert Pupkin is obsessed with becoming a comedy great. However, when he confronts his idol, talk show host Jerry Langford, with a plea to perform on the Jerry's show, he is only given the run-around. He does not give up, however, but persists in stalking Jerry until he gets what he wants. Eventually he must team up with his psychotic Langford-obsessed friend Masha to kidnap the talk show host in hopes of finally getting to perform his stand-up routine.

Now what this film really does to affect me personally is that i understand what Rupert Pupkin is coming from. He idolises and wants to be like Rupert Pupkin in almost every way. De Niro plays this role so natural, like a normal human being. Yet throughout the film, you can see his sense of mind slowly lose itself. He wants so hard to become famous and respected around the country and in the end goes to any lengths to achieve that in any way possible. The Ex Girlfriend or female luny played by Sandra Bernhard who is just brilliant in the role and very believable.

There is so much else to talk about. Scorsese makes a very underrated film here about mental illness, obsession and how far someone goes to get what they wants. De Niro's character isn't really a bad person, but he is someone who is determined to get something good in his life and can't notice how hard he is pushing himself.

Overall, King Of Comedy is a gem you need to seek out because it is on the top like other Scorsese pictures. It ranks at the top and is deserved to be seen to its fullest.

Rating - 95% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Stranger

This is a very underrated film in my opinion that not many people recognise. I saw it earlier in the year and i thought it would be time to share my thoughts and views on this film.

Wilson of the War Crimes Commission is seeking Franz Kindler, mastermind of the Holocaust, who has effectively erased his identity. Wilson releases Kindler's former comrade Meinike and follows him to Harper, Connecticut, where he is killed before he can identify Kindler. Now Wilson's only clue is Kindler's fascination with antique clocks; but though Kindler seems secure in his new identity, he feels his past closing in.

Now for what the plot is, its a drama not a war film. It deals however with a very serious theme which is the holocaust and paranoia. Orson Wells character has fled to the states to escape being captured after he was involved in the planning of the holocaust. He marries a girl he met and soon assumes himself into a small town in the united states. Wells plays the role very well and really is the star of the show. He has a creepy paranoid personality of not wanting his past to catch up with him and in many ways, that sends him in a very crazy like state. The Supporting cast work well too and bring a very dark feeling to the story that Wells introduces.

Looking back, what is great about it is the style and tone of the film. It feels dark and looks dark. Wells performance really gives chills that few other performances do these days. The Climax and unraveling of Wells character is very well done and gives the film a certain OMG feel to it. Like anything can happen and for a film set in the 40s, that is pretty outstanding.

Overall, Its a film worth finding and watching. Its one of Orson Wellls best as well as one of the most underrated films of all time.

Rating - 95% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part 2

So we have come to this. No more Harry Potters and the last one hopefully will be the one to shake the franchise so hard that we leave the cinema in tears, laughter and horror. This is my review of the final harry potter film.

The final chapter begins as Harry, Ron, and Hermione continue their quest of finding and destroying the Dark Lord's three remaining Horcruxes, the magical items responsible for his immortality. But as the mystical Deathly Hallows are uncovered, and Voldemort finds out about their mission, the biggest battle begins and life as they know it will never be the same again.

For something that has become so iconic in modern film, its fair to say that no matter how you feel about Harry Potter, you can't deny that this last film is a major event in cinema today. The Franchise has made billions and entertained even more billions around the world and now that this film has been released, it feels like a tide has passed over the world of cinema and getting used to having no new harry potter films will be a struggle to many. But never the less, this film to me delivers on all sorts. Its the final film so obviously they are going to pull all the stops to deliver a film unlike any other. You can compare this to Return Of The King for two reasons. The First is that its the finale of a global phenomenon and so everyone is anticipating a big film. Second is that every character is fighting for something close to their hearts and it could all go wrong if one small mistake is made.

The Performances in the film really are great. Daniel Radcliffe has involved into a very talented actor who is capable of taking his career further from Harry Potter. Despite the fact that he could be seen only as Harry Potter for most of his life, I think he can do other roles and be taken seriously as an actor. Same with Rupert Grint who i also enjoyed in the films. Emma Watson was fantastic as Hermione and a very talented and beautiful actress. I'll mention Alan Rickman's performance in this because he is fantastic in this and finally takes Snape full circle as a character. Ralph Fiennes to me in this film finally proved that Lord Voldermort is the greatest villain in cinema history. If anyone thinks that there is a villain darker and more sadistic than him, then please let me know.

The Effects in this film are well done and make the film epic and magical at the same time, yet they contain elements of an apocalyptic war like no other. You see dead bodies, rubble and people tending to the injured. Its quite traumatic in many ways, but the fact that its a fantasy in many ways kills its realism. But never the less, seeing all the dead characters and their death scenes brings some sadness and reminds us what the series means. Its about growing up and facing darker ideas and stories. In this film, its nothing like the first film which was light hearted and mysterious. Where as in this, its dark, brutal and poignant.

Never the less, Harry Potter will go down as one of the most influential iconic and greatest film franchises of all time. Screw Star Wars, this is the mother of film franchises, and to me it feels right that its a british production. I recommend this film while you can.

Rating - 100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Goodfellas

To many regard its the greatest gangster film of all time, or one of the greatest as there are so many that capture different aspects of the gangster genre perfectly. For Martin Scorsese, he has many masterpieces, and this is one of them.

Henry Hill is a small time gangster, who takes part in a robbery with Jimmy Conway and Tommy De Vito, two other gangsters who have set their sights a bit higher. His two partners kill off everyone else involved in the robbery, and slowly start to climb up through the hierarchy of the Mob. Henry, however, is badly affected by his partners success, but will he stoop low enough to bring about the downfall of Jimmy and Tommy?

GoodFellas is a masterpiece in many ways. Firstly its realistic and introduces us to a realistic world. Its raw, gritty, violent yet bloody great to watch. Its based off a true story and the characters are roundly true bar a few character changes.

Scorsese's direction is among the best he has ever done. He is so precise in what he wants from actors and the camera. I believe that he is the heart and soul of motion pictures and Goodfellas is an example of why he loves making films so much. This is a genre that he works best in, but despite not seeing every film he has made, I know some way that he put everything into this film because it was a story that shouldn't and wouldn't be messed with.

The Acting is top notch. De Niro is his usual best and you really believe in his character. Ray Liotta is the star of the show in many ways as this is his story and we follow his path from streetwise punk to full fledge Gangster. Its a great noticeable transformation as he rises in the ranks. Joe Pesci plays a wild gangster who is at times just crazy and maniac, but yet you love him and the way he acts is hilarious. These three characters played by incredible actors really pull the film together with the minor things really just there for show. Its the performances in the film that make it a masterpiece as they are convincing and powerful and entertaining in many ways. Scorsese is great with actors and this is proven in this film.

Overall, Goodfellas is one of those films you can watch over and over again and not get bored by it at all. Direction, Screenplay, Acting and many other touches make this film a classic.

100% - A+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Sleeping Enemy

Who would have thought Julia Roberts would be in something like this. I'm also not surprised that this is based off a novel, because it has that novel atmosphere and narrative pacing to it, and the fact its in Julia Roberts perspective. Anyway, this is Sleeping With The Enemy.

Laura and Martin have been married for four years. They seem to be the perfect, happiest and most successful couple. The reality of their house- hold, however, is very different. Martin is an abusive and brutally obsessed husband. Laura is living her life in constant fear and waits for a chance to escape. She finally stages her own death, and flees to a new town and new identity. But when Martin finds out that his wife is not dead he will stop at nothing to find and kill her.

There are a lot of good things to say about it. Firstly, its very relate-able as people in both genders are sufferers of abusive and controlling partners, so its nice to known that a film can cover that issue very well, even if its only the first part of the film. Secondly it feels like a novel on screen. The Atmosphere, pacing and the fact most of the story is set in a small town. Julia Roberts performance is very good and probably a very underrated one. She plays the role perfectly and you see the majority of the story in her perspective which really works to sympathize to what the character is going through. Patrick Bergin i can't deny is quite creepy and very forceful in this role. Never the less he is great to watch.

My problem and its a small one is that it does look very 90s now with the hairstyles and clothing, but never the less i wouldn't do a remake because i think this film can be recalled if people want to see a different side to Julia Roberts, and this is one of her best.

Overall, its a film i highly recommend seeing. So take a look.

Rating - 85% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Eyes Wide Shut

Kubrick's last film and boy is this one slow and steady. He was a filmmaker who took his time and apparantly took 2 years to shoot this. Either way, I was in awe and anticipation to see this film and now that I finally have, here is my review.

A doctor becomes obsessed with having a sexual encounter after his wife admits to having sexual fantasies about a man she met and chastising him for dishonesty in not admitting to his own fantasies. This sets him off into unfulfilled encounters with a dead patient's daughter and a hooker. But when he visits a nightclub, where a pianist friend Nick Nightingale is playing, he learns about a secret sexual group and decides to attend one of their congregations. However, he quickly learns he is in well over his head and finds he and his family are threatened.

This film is a long one and by the end it makes you think. This is the case with all of Kubrick's films. They are the thinking man films and his last film really does leave you pondering. This film is very dark but in a good way. The themes are very adult and very deep and personal. You delve into the characters and you understand their personalities. Cruise in particular is a very interesting character to follow. He desires sex and can't seem to resist it from anyone, so inside he is losing it.

The Whole Sexual Orgy part of the story is creepy yet exciting. When he is disguised in the mask and cape, It felt wrong but good to watch. Kubrick makes you feel what he wants you to feel in these scenes and while I enjoyed it, It almost blew me away at parts and even made me hold my breath. Sometimes, the sexual theme becomes too much, but i think that's part of the story. It becomes too much for the character to bear.

Overall, Kubrick's final film is one to watch. Its not as iconic as his other films, but its still worth checking out just for how long and exhilarating it is.

Rating - 90% - A-

Its a tough one isn't it. I think the problem is that its too long and really tires you out when you just want him to get to the point.