Equilibrium

→ in
Tools    

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
I watched half of this film and had to turn it off to go do something. I never found the interest to watch the rest of it. For some reason the idea of removing people's feelings through self-medication seemed a little far-fetched to me. Also, there seemed to be a very long and drawn-out lull between the first action scene and any other action scenes.
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
Originally Posted by Mark
I watched half of this film and had to turn it off to go do something. I never found the interest to watch the rest of it. For some reason the idea of removing people's feelings through self-medication seemed a little far-fetched to me. Also, there seemed to be a very long and drawn-out lull between the first action scene and any other action scenes.
The second half is where it shines. It has wonderful action sequences, and is, strangely strangely powerful in some scenes.

I love this movie.

It was a great film, the quick fight scene with the cops and the main caracter is amazing. I saw that and I was like wow, for a low budget film, that wasa great one.

Linkin Park Forums

Affordable and Reliable Web Designs and Hosting

Portfolio!!
www.MeteoraStudios.com
www.DigitalEinstein.com
www.LinkinParkForums.com

Kaiser "The Devil" Soze
The people here seem to be very divided in this forum, they hate it or they love it, no inbetweens. So I rented it, tried my best to not let their opinions bias me while watching it, and loved it when it was all over .

Perhaps many of you already know this but this movie is amazingly similar to Ray Bradbury's (sp?) book, Farenheit 451. In the book, society encourages the burning of books because books stir up ideas which causes conflict.Anyways, perhaps it was my love for the book which made me like this movie, or perhaps it is my love for action flicks ... maybe both. Either way, the movie was well done and the way the martial arts (kung fu, karate, judo, etc <--------not a combat expert.) was combined into guns fights.... very cool

there's a frog in my snake oil
Originally Posted by Mark
For some reason the idea of removing people's feelings through self-medication seemed a little far-fetched to me. Also, there seemed to be a very long and drawn-out lull between the first action scene and any other action scenes.
The film is kind of having a dig at the real drug called Librium apparently. That was the original title too.

It was another dark-flapping-coated attempt at firey-action cooled down by pools of thoughtfulness. I thought it did well.

BANNED
I have been thoroughly engaged with movies at a very young age. Since my 12th birthday, I began to watch movies outside the mainstream Hollywood cinematic movies. The so-called “Cult Classic” genre of movies was an entertaining discovery for me. Using the box office as a guide to finding these films, however, is not accurate. So as a guide, I usually used the critics. Most of the time the critics rate the movies high enough for me to seek them out. For instance "Pulp Fiction" was rated 98% on Rotten Tomatoes. Thats even higher than my all time favorite "Lord of the Rings: Return of the King" (97%). Today, I found out that critics can at times be gravely mistaken, and are indeed fallible.

On Rotten Tomatoes, the lowest rated movie i have seen is the Hulk at 60%. The next highest is Donnie Darko at 80%. However today I have a new low. Equilibrium at 31%, and for once I highly disagree with the critics.

The critics main problem with Kurt Wimmer's film is the fact that it plays upon the edgey Sci-Fi-ness (word?) of The Matrix coupled with its political social commentary similar to George Orwell's "1984" and Aldous Huxley 's "Brave New World". The critics fail to see two things. One, that nothing is ever original anymore, it is a mere improvement on its former presidents. In essence why reinvent the wheel when it can be made into more creative uses.Two, the purpose of movies is to enjoy them and to fill up a 2 hour gap in one's free time.
What I liked about this movie is the stoic performance of Christian Bale as John Preston, the highest ranking police officer or "clerk" in the movie. Sean Bean does an excellent job as well and it is because of the combination of these two actors that the movie comes together.

Equilibrium is about a society supressed by a drug called Prozeum which eliminates emotions and creates peace and harmony. In this futuristic society all forms of art, literature, and anything colorful are confiscated and burned because "they spark emotions and feelings". It is for this reason that Christian's acting as a detached and almost robotic agent (Agent Smith) are unforgettbale. In my opinion he nails the role and does a great job of becoming accesible to the audience. The movie is a great commentary on what could happen in a dictatorship, or in a society where the public believes everything they are told as evidenced with the ruling "Father". In fact the movie borders on something religious. For instances the police officers of the highest rank are "clerics" and the most supreme ruler is the "Father", which I have yet to formulate ideas on. I love the gun fights in the movie as well. They are well choreographed and bring a new aura to this "gun-fu" style of martial arts. Another one of my favorite things about the movie is the dull and uniform colors that are tinted into it. And finally the music absolutly brings you into the atmosphere in an amazing way and it certainly sets the tone for the movie.

Good as this movie is, it is not perfect. I do have a few problems with the film that are irreconcilable. When you watch the movie closely you do notice a few prop errors and unmistakable set errors. The characters are not three-dimensional (Ha and this movie was made by Dimension). They have no substance and it is hardly possible to connect to any of them except at very rare times to John Preston. Also, the movie contradicts itself. Without emotion, a society could not exist because motivation is a feeling. Who would be motivated to do anything? Where do marriages come from?Where do kids come from? Who elects the vice counsel? Who elects the counsel? Is there democracy? If there is a democracy, how do the people know who to choose, if they have no feelings either way under Prozium? I think what the movie should have done is go more deeply into the daily lives of the society to give the audience a clearer sense into how this place works.

All in all its worth the time. The effects are stunning and the quality is excellent. Despite its flaws, mistakes, contradictions, lack of heart (maybe that was the point), and at times awkwardness I do recommend this film to anyone looking for something out of the ordinary. Great movie and I definatly wouldn't have reviewed it if it wasn't worth the effort.
Good job cast and crew!
-Peace out

I have to say that after watching the first scene where Christian Bale's character kicks in the door and the lights go out I was totally hooked.

I haven't seen too many movies recently that I loved, but this is definitely one of them.

Equilibrium

Equilibrium, in my opinion, is one of the most underrated and underexposed action movies of this decade. Starring Christian Bale, Taye Diggs, Emily Watson and Sean Bean.
Now it is not weird if you actually haven’t even heard of this movie. Because it never really got the advertisment it deserved for some reason. I think what happened was that the movie kind of had an overall look of The Matrix. And so people kind of tended to overlook it. However it’s a cult classic, and has a big following.

The story for Equilibrium:
It’s basicially a post-apocalyptic movie, as it takes place after a World War 3. Now after the world leaders that do survive the war, they take a look back at the war, they find that the reason why wars have occurred is because of human emotions. Therefore they create this drug called Prozium. Which surpresses all human emotions. Therefore people don’t get angry, and of course that means there is no war. The man responsible for introducing Prozium to the masses is a man known only as Father. Now Father appears on television screens all over the city, but never appears in person for fear of assassination. Which makes you wonder if he has a fear of being assassinated, what is wrong with this Utopia he has created.
The centre where Prozium is distributed to the people, is called Equilibrium. And thus where the movie gets it’s name.
Now in Libria, anything that causes a human to feel. Like say music, books or paintings are strictly out-lawed. And punishable by death. Now Libria does have foot soldiers in order to enforce these laws. But their number one line of defense is the grammaton cleric. Christian Bale plays as grammaton cleric, John Preston. These are elite troops that are specially trained in many forms of combat. Such as gun play and martial arts. Sean Bean plays as his partner, cleric Partridge. Although it is quickly discovered by Preston that Partridge is guilty of sense offense. Or what they call it, when someone has stopped taking Prozium and begins to start feeling. As there is is only one punishment for sense offense, Preston is forced to kill his own partner.
Preston is soon parred up with a new partner, cleric Brandt. Played by Taye Diggs. Who shares Preston’s ability to sense people who are feeling emotions, and thus very good at finding sense criminals. We also discover Emily Watson’s character, Mary. Who is soon discovered to be a sense offender as well. Preston soon finds out that she was a lover of Partridge.
The rest of the movie involes Preston finding out more Mary and Partridge. And what it might be actually like to feel.
The action element of the movie also comes in as Preston is signed to find the last remaining people of the resistance to the Libria way of life.

Grammaton clerics are trained in amny forms of combat. First and foremost being with pistols, in order to efficiently create a maximun killzone. They are also trained with swords. And there’s actually some really cool sword fighting sequences that are in this movie. So if you like sword play as well as gun play then this movie is right up your alley.

Now at first glance i think people might thend to accuse this movie of being a Matrix rip-off. Even though it came out a year before Matrix: Reloaded. However this movie also puts on some strong story. And i think the action sequences are actually very unique. I don’t think that it’s really fair to compare this movie to The Matrix at all, just because it came out during kind of the same time.

For those of you that have seen Batman Begins and The Dark Knight, and really enjoy Christian Bale as Batman. Absolutely you should see this movie. This is kind of Christian Bale as Batman, before he was Batman. I think that even some of the action sequences that are in this movie, are better than Batman Begins.

7.9/10

is one of the most underrated and underexposed
Definitely agree with that, one of the most underrated science fiction films. Adore it, and the music score is fantastic.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
Just rewatched this last night (thanks again netflix). Solid Sci Fi-- they were smart to throw in all the groovy cleric mad fighting skillz stuff, otherwise it would have been too thick and slow. I liked Taye Diggs (he woulda been great in Face Off, huh?), and for some bizarre reason, William Fichtner makes the bestest underground leader ever. More enjoyable for me the 2nd time around.