One Movie A Day Remix

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Day 236: December 22nd, 2010

An American Crime

I wouldn't have taken that.

I watched this based on the recommendation of a co-worker, who said it was difficult to watch and horrible to think about. An American Crime is about the first reported case of child abuse and still to this day remains as one of the most horribly cases about child abuse.

It's one thing to watch a movie about someone beating up a kid, it's another to have that movie be based on true facts. An American Crime is not only based on true facts, it doesn't even show you all the atrocities that happened. Take that as a pro or con, but An American Crime, as decides to play it a little safe and downplay a lot of what happened to this poor little girl. That's not to say that the film still isn't hard to watch, it is.

To give you a little bit more story here, Ellen Page plays the lead girl, Sylvia Likens and Catherine Keener plays the abusive adult, Gertrude Baniszewski. Likens and her sister are given to Gertrude to watch while their parents go on a carnival tour to make some money. The parents don't know Gertrude, they only met her through church. It seem that Gertrude takes a lot of her frustration with life (being poor, loser boyfriend, lots of kids, health/mental issues) out on Sylvia. There is one moment in the film where I thought that it took artistic liberties and played it up, but upon some research discovered that everything was true.

The neighbourhood kids and Gertrudes own children go to see Sylvia, who has been locked up in the basement by this time. They decide to put cigarettes out on her, hose her down in water, humiliate her and physically beat the crap out of her. Why? Because their mother said it was okay and the other kids I guess succumbed to peer pressure. Sylvia is at her all time low when Gertrude then decides to carve the words "I'm a prostitute and proud of it" in her stomach. Terrible indeed.

The performances are great, Keener gives a subtle performance for such a horrible character. I felt sorry for her at times, don't know if I should have. Maybe if the character was played by Beth Grant I would feel different, because she usually plays characters that get under my skin. Page literally starved herself to go through similar situations like Sylvia. Not her best performance, as most of the time she's just sitting there taking abuse, but worthy enough.

The film goes back and forth between the court case and testimonies of people, to the events that eventually lead to Sylvia's death. I did not know about the case beforehand and figured that she had died from the way they were presenting the film. Then we are given a scene in which she escapes and makes it home safe and sound, only to discover that it's some kind of out of body experience and her real lifeless body lies on the kitchen floor.

I'd recommend this film to those who want to learn about the case, as reading about it might be too difficult.

Suspect's Reviews

Day 237: December 23rd, 2010

Rabbit Hole

And so this is just the sad version of us...

Rabbit Hole is a mature film. It's hard to describe what that means, but that's how I felt when I was watching it. Aaron Eckhart and Nicole Kidman are a grieving couple. Their son was killed, hit by a car. What makes this film different is that we are introduced to these two after that has happened. Their son was killed several months ago and the film is about these two character trying their best to move on.

Kidman gives one of her best performances in years. The hardest thing I believe a parent has to do is outlive their child. Kidman gives a multi-layered performance that is both restrained and lavish in detail. She is trying her best to move on with her life, she wants to move away, start over. Her husband, Eckhart, doesn't want that. He watches a video of his son on his phone almost every night. He goes to support groups to deal with the pain. He gets angry when Kidman takes down their child's drawings from the fridge. He thinks she is trying to erase his memory.

The film is rich with great performances from the smaller supporting characters as well. Dianne Wiest is Kidman's mother who also lost a child. She tries to be a helping hand, but Kidman won't let her. Real family with real problems, nothing here is Hollywood coated. John Cameron Mitchell's third feature, his two previous efforts were independent films. The rock opera Hedwig and the Angry Inch and the sexual explorative Short Bus. Both I thought were good films. Mitchell seems like a focused director who wants to explore topics that no one wants to touch. I admire that.

There is a small subplot involving a teenager that some might not like that much. I found that it was just an outlet for one character while an obstacle for the other. Rabbit Hole is a tad slow, but the performances are enough to keep you engaged. Ebert said in his review that he knew what the move was going to be about, but he was impressed with how it was told. I feel the same way.

Day 238: December 24th, 2010

The Fighter

I'll see you in Mickey's corner.

The story of Micky "Irish" Ward and his boxing career with his crack addicted brother at his side. Apparently Marky Mark was so hell bent on getting this film made that he stayed in "shape" for years and years just incase the film went into production. That's dedication and passion for you, yet the man still manages to be the weak link.

It's not really his fault, David O. Russell packed the film with a lot of talent. Christian Bale plays Dicky Ecklund, Micky's crack addicted brother who tells the same story over and over again, about him knocking out Sugar Ray Leonard. It's his claim to fame. There is a film crew following him around, he thinks it's going to be about his comeback, yet it's really about the harsh realities of crack addiction. Bale, again, submerses himself in the role. He is pure method. You can not like him as a person, or even an actor, but you can't deny his passion for the art. He is on the thin side again, with thin balding hair and brown teeth. He looks deathly ill in every scene. The man has one of his finest roles to date and will no doubt be nominated come award season. I hope he actually takes home the award. He is without a doubt, the most interesting character in the film.

Their mother is played by Melissa Leo, another performance worthy of recognition come award season. Her desire to see her kids rise to fame blind her from the truth. She denies the drugs and the failures and believes she knows what's best for her kids. This means not letting them get a real chance because it would be with a real manager and she would be left behind. Family is important to her and she wants to keep everyone very close, even if it harms their chance at making a name for themselves. She of course, doesn't realize this. Amy Adams is the love interest, you know there had to be one. She manages to pull Micky away from the family that is dragging him down. They don't like her for it. She has her own inspirations too, yet the story isn't interested in them. The main focus of the film is with Micky's bumpy road to the championship fight. Since this is based on a true story, I can't really fault it for becoming a bit formulaic and predictable, yet it is.

David O. Russell is notorious for getting angry and violent with his crew/cast. He was in a physical fight with George Clooney on the set of Three Kings and anyone can go on youtube and check out the melt down he and Lily Tomlin had on the set of I Heart Huckabees. Both films coincidentally star Mark Walhberg, so it seems he doesn't have a problem working with the combative director. I can't deny that the man has talent. I really love Three Kings and found I Heart Huckabees to be an ambitious project for the sheer weirdness of it all. With The Fighter, he plays to a more conventional audience. In terms of boxing films, it works. It plays on the down and out character, the poverty of his life and the sheer determination he has to make a name for himself. It's no Rocky, or as others have mentioned Raging Bull, but it is good enough to be mentioned with them.

Russell always has an eye for a creative shot. Check out Three Kings colour scheme for what I mean. Here he uses tv cameras for the boxing matches. Interesting move, it feels like we are watching it at home and are not really in the ring with them. I admire directors who think outside of the box. Russell does this, no problem. He also decides to include real footage of the characters. The film has some home video segments throughout and during the credits we get to meet the real Micky Ward and Dicky Eckland, which is even more reason to appreciate Bale's performance.

The film trips a bit because of the lack of emotion from Walhberg. I dig the guy and enjoy his films, but his range isn't there yet. When given a role that he can play the absurdity of, he scores. Watch The Departed for that. For a film where the audience needs to get behind a character, to root and cheer for them to overcome their obstacles, he falls a little short. Thank goodness the film makes up for this with the performances from Bale and Leo.

The Fighter features great music, engaging performances and a predictable, yet true story. I felt attached to the characters and hoping they would make smart decisions. If a film can get me to care about the characters, I say bravo.

The Fighter is a winner in my books.

Day 239: December 25th, 2010

Home Alone

This is my house, I have to defend it.

A classic for me, I watched this a lot when I was a kid. Although, I never imagined myself as Kevin at any point I don't think. Kevin is left home alone when his parents go on vacation. At the same time two bandits try to break in and steal some goods. It's up to Kevin to protect his home from these intruders.

I never really liked the film because of Macaulay Culkin, for me it was always the hilarity of the two antagonists. Joe Pesci and Daniel Stern are hilarious in this movie and watching them get their ass handed to them by these elaborate traps is always a treat. Despite the fact that most of these traps would kill man, I still found them to be funny and entertaining. I always had a soft spot for Stern's Marv, he seemed like the one he was always picked on by the angry Harry.

Pesci kept forgetting that this was a family film and would use the f-word numerous times. Columbus finally got him to say 'fridge' instead of the f-word, which is why he says it so many damn times.

This is a classic holiday film that kids will enjoy. It will empower them. The film went on to have a few ill-advised sequels, but the first still remains to be an enjoyment today.

Day 236: December 22nd, 2010

An American Crime

I wouldn't have taken that.

I watched this based on the recommendation of a co-worker, who said it was difficult to watch and horrible to think about. An American Crime is about the first reported case of child abuse and still to this day remains as one of the most horribly cases about child abuse.

It's one thing to watch a movie about someone beating up a kid, it's another to have that movie be based on true facts. An American Crime is not only based on true facts, it doesn't even show you all the atrocities that happened. Take that as a pro or con, but An American Crime, as decides to play it a little safe and downplay a lot of what happened to this poor little girl. That's not to say that the film still isn't hard to watch, it is.

To give you a little bit more story here, Ellen Page plays the lead girl, Sylvia Likens and Catherine Keener plays the abusive adult, Gertrude Baniszewski. Likens and her sister are given to Gertrude to watch while their parents go on a carnival tour to make some money. The parents don't know Gertrude, they only met her through church. It seem that Gertrude takes a lot of her frustration with life (being poor, loser boyfriend, lots of kids, health/mental issues) out on Sylvia. There is one moment in the film where I thought that it took artistic liberties and played it up, but upon some research discovered that everything was true.

The neighbourhood kids and Gertrudes own children go to see Sylvia, who has been locked up in the basement by this time. They decide to put cigarettes out on her, hose her down in water, humiliate her and physically beat the crap out of her. Why? Because their mother said it was okay and the other kids I guess succumbed to peer pressure. Sylvia is at her all time low when Gertrude then decides to carve the words "I'm a prostitute and proud of it" in her stomach. Terrible indeed.

The performances are great, Keener gives a subtle performance for such a horrible character. I felt sorry for her at times, don't know if I should have. Maybe if the character was played by Beth Grant I would feel different, because she usually plays characters that get under my skin. Page literally starved herself to go through similar situations like Sylvia. Not her best performance, as most of the time she's just sitting there taking abuse, but worthy enough.

The film goes back and forth between the court case and testimonies of people, to the events that eventually lead to Sylvia's death. I did not know about the case beforehand and figured that she had died from the way they were presenting the film. Then we are given a scene in which she escapes and makes it home safe and sound, only to discover that it's some kind of out of body experience and her real lifeless body lies on the kitchen floor.

I'd recommend this film to those who want to learn about the case, as reading about it might be too difficult.

Jesus, this sounds like it's the next coming of Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer.

Miss Vicky's Loyal and Willing Slave
Oh I love Home Alone!!! My favourite ever Christmas film. I like the first sequel as well.

Day 240: December 26th, 2010

Whip It

Whip it real good.

A good effort from Drew Barrymore in her first directorial job. Ellen Page is Bliss Cavendar, a rebel yell type of teen who is forced into the world of beauty pageants from her overbearing mother, played by Marcia Gay Harden. When she sees the roller derby rolls into town she decides to go see them and instantly falls in love with it.

The issue of following your dreams versus what you parents want for you is nothing new to the movie world, so the only thing you have to concern yourself with is the entertainment value of Whip It. Well, there is plenty of it. The film is definitely 'girl power', as Barrymore loves to empower women. The roller derby gals are played by Barrymore herself, Kristen Wig, Zoe Bell, rapper Eve and on the opposite team the recognizable face is Juliette Lewis.

Lewis is the poor excuse for an antagonist. She threatens to reveal to the league Page's real age. You have to be 18 in order to compete, she is younger. Yet the Lewis character still comes off as a friend to everyone. The love/hate relationship is extremely odd. Marcia Gay Harden plays like the villain more here, even though she is just misunderstood.

There is a subplot involving a boyfriend who plays in a band and must leave town on tour. The ramifications of what happens on tour is mentioned, but never really explored. Maybe left on the cutting room floor? The roller derby sequences are fun to watch, but you never get the intense feeling you should get when watching sport films. Maybe the game isn't fast enough, or the rules aren't well known but it comes off as slow and redundant.

Whip It is fun entertainment, everyone seems like they are having a good time, even the third Wilson brother. The whole time I thought he sounded like Owen Wilson, then the credits pop up and I find out it's the lesser known third brother. Had a chuckle.

Day 240: December 26th, 2010

Daydream Nation

Too much going on for this type of movie.

A rebellious teenager is moved out of the big city to a small town, which she hates. The only person she seems to connect with and like is her teacher. She seduces him and they have a fling. Things get complicated when a young man at her school takes a liking to her and she doesn't realize that she also likes him.

That's the best way to describe this confused film. Daydream Nation has elements that work, but it seems that too much was thrown together for it to feel like a completed and strong narrative. I found that the big city to small town element wasn't raised enough here. It's the catalyst that makes her do the things she does, but it never fees as big an issue as it should. Daydream Nation has many of these things that should be more prominent.

There are a lot of subplots that try to bring more depth to the town and the story. There is something about a serial killer roaming the streets killing young girls as well as some chemical fire that has people wearing masks. These are odd little things that ultimately have no baring on the bigger picture. It would be nice if handled properly, but it feels more like a distraction.

Kat Dennings plays the confused slutty girl. She puts on a face that she is powerful and in control of things, but behind the scenes she is a scared little girl. When another classmate calls her a slut, she laughs it off and then goes on to belittle the other girl. Showing us that those words have no power over her, then once she is alone, she cries in the bathroom stall. She's human, confused and needs guidance, but she won't admit it.

Josh Lucas plays the teacher who is exactly like Denning's character. He gives a calm and intelligent manner on the surface, but underneath he is needy and a coward. The slow reveal of this character is great and Lucas really plays the oddity of this weirdo well. Reece Thompson plays Thurston, the young boy that likes Denning's character. He is a pothead who saw the death of one of his friends, so he's not all there. Another character that is scared and doesn't know where to go with his life. The difference is that he doesn't hide behind a confident demeanor.

One of the quotes for this movie compares it to Juno and Donnie Darko, as if David Lynch were to direct it. Well, it's not that weird. There are mentions of the end of the world, which did remind me of Donnie Darko, but that's about as far as it goes. I had a Dazed & Confused vibe from it, minus the decade/coolness/party vibe that Dazed and Confused has. Daydream Nation is a film that has too many things going on, it confuses itself as to what story it wants to tell.

If anything, I think AAC's primary success is that it makes you want to find out more about the case. It affected me pretty deeply, that film, but I felt compelled to go read more about it, knowing that what was shown wasn't the complete story. It didn't need to be.

Day 241: December 27th, 2010

The Tourist

Jolie looks pretty.

Lazy acting and an ending that tries to re-capture the same fire the writer had with something far better earlier in his career, The Tourist is something that everyone can skip.

The film isn't exactly thrilling, it has a few chase sequences that are very tepid. Jolie does nothing but wear extravagant dresses and Depp plays a bumbling fool that gets caught up in something bigger than him. The story apparently calls for some beautiful set pieces, we get to travel to Venice.

The film has been described as "Old Hollywood", in a way I can see that. It does have a very "actor" and "actress" feel to it, meaning the people involved aren't trying to tell a story, but simply make a movie. Jolie and Depp doesn't really ignite flames with their chemistry and one will always find plot holes when it involves a twist.

Give the Tourist a miss.

Day 242: December 28th, 2010

The Quality of Mercy

Have mercy on me please.

Stephen Marro’s The Quality Of Mercy is a short that relies heavily on the talent on the screen, rather than it’s screenplay or direction.

The short starts off with a man walking into a coffee shop who meets up with a young woman, they start talking and we find out that he is a critic and she is a young actress. They hit it off at first, but then things turn for the worse when the critic finds out that he panned her performance and the play she was in. His carelessness of words to her in his review has led up to this very event in which she has been waiting for, for over a year.

The story itself sounds interesting and if it had played out right it could have been really good, but the script falls short, mainly in the dialogue, which comes off as cheesy and forced. When the critic is crying for help in the final scene in which he is dying, I found it hard to believe that no one would help him, even if he was an ass to people. The way the script played out made it seems obvious that she was up to no good, which takes away from any surprise they were going for. The composition of some of the shots took me out of the short as well, one moment they are close and the next they are further apart. This is a continuity error that should have been corrected, with either another take or more in depth editing.

The lighting in some scenes, specifically on the lead actress wasn’t flattering at all and ended up being a distraction as was the opening scene with the sound effect off screen of the guy crashing into a car, none of this seemed to fit into this short. It was Mary-Louise Parker that got me into it and brought it up a level in terms of quality. Her performance was the best thing in this other wise lackluster short. I can’t say the same for Jon Avner, who played it slightly over the top and with a Sean Connery accent.

Even though her performance is good, it’s not enough to overcome the other obstacles in the way.

Day 243: December 29th, 2010

American Beauty

Did those who didn't like it not look close enough?

Sam Mendes’ American Beauty tells the story of Lester Burnham who is experiencing a mid life crisis until one day he decides to turn his life around, which turns everyone else’s life upside down.

Sam Mendes’ feature debut pays close attention to detail, mainly colour. Throughout the Lester’s house the main colour is gray. The gray represents the family and how they are detached from one another. Everything is washed out with one main strong colour being present throughout the entire film, that colour is red. At the dinner table, we see red flowers, at the gym; red flowers fly out of the young girl’s jacket and at the end the red blood from Lester.

Many shots of Lester are from above, he feels low about himself. It’s not until he makes a connection with his daughters friend does he begin to level himself off. He makes this connection through the eyes and the girl becomes the centre of his attention. It’s no longer his daughter he is there for, as indicated by the spotlight on the other young girl.

The scene that flies overhead the suburbs, white picket fences, green grasses, people don’t have much to fear about. This is only the surface. The film constantly tells us to “look closer”, as we do, we see that something is amiss. There are many ugly things hidden beneath all that is beautiful. American Beauty can be viewed as Death Of A Salesman for the nineties, both films deal with a family with darker undertones.

It's a shame that many people seem to hate it now, I still find it to be greatly entertaining and a solid effort from all involved.

Day 244: December 30th, 2010

Amelie

Beautiful and charming.

Amelie is a foreign film from director Jean-Pierre Jeunet and it revolves around a young woman, Amelie, and the lives she changes.

I chose to watch one of my favourite films on this day because it was my birthday. Why waste the day on a film I might not like. I made the wise choice and went with something I knew I would enjoy.

Jean-Pierre Jeunet chose to bring life to the film with colours, masterful camerawork and special effects. Special effects? Yup. There are three main colours in this film, and they also appear on the cover of the poster. They are green, red and yellow. The film uses these colours to its advantage and the results are beautiful. Jean-Pierre Jeunet also chose to insert little objects that contrast the three main colours in the film, for example in one scene the audience sees a blue lamp in the background. So it immediately catches your eye.

The camera movement in this film is wonderful. One scene in particular comes to mind, the waterfall when the main character skips a stone. The movement is fluid and engages the audience. Every shot in this film means something, nothing is “filler”. There are moments in the film that don’t even need movement, the actions on the screen speak for themselves and there is no need for movement.

The special effects are subtle and serve the beauty of the film. If it were overdone it would be too distracting. Everything about the film is beautifully done and shows how much preparation was put into the pre-production, for the smallest little details. If you have the change, watch some behind the scenes features, it shows you how meticulous of a director Jean-Pierre Jeunet is. A definite recommend on my end.

Day 245: December 31st, 2010

Bullet in the Brain.

&feature=related

Another short film?

David Von Ancken’s short film Bullet In The Brain, plays out like a novel on the screen. An outspoken writing teacher lets his criticism extend from the classroom into the outside world, which eventually leads to his death in a bank robbery.

The film starts by giving us a negative view of the main character, who has an unkempt beard and is unpleasant to be around, yet by the end of the short we feel a connection to him through the narration of a moment in his life. The narration is written in a literary style, which fits exactly with the character and the story.

The bank robbery is set up as a cliché and the bank robbers follow suit. The actions and dialogue the characters say in this situation are predictable and Anders, the lead character, points this out. This action is what eventually leads to his death, in which we are taken on a ride through his history. We are told so much about this character in this small amount of time.

The film sets up the narration of his life as something that would be conventional, but then they turn it around and give the audience something unique to watch. Instead of showing the audience the character’s life flashing before his eyes, as so many other films do, it gives us one particular moment in his life and decides to emphasize it. This is a unique way to show more information about one character and it is done in one scene; many films can’t do this with multiple scenes.

I really enjoyed this short because it was well written and directed. The director knew exactly how to adapt the short story to the screen. The actors also fit their roles very nice and not once did I think I was watching a short film.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Amelie is excellent, but as Harry Lime knows, it's in a "foreign" language, so there's no way I can give it 5/5.

I saw Amelie once years ago. I remember liking it. But I did not see what was so great about it that people went crazy for her. I suspect it's because I'm gay and I just can't find that woman all that sweet and cute.

Is it Johnny Depp's fault? Judging by his IMDB page, most of the stuff he's done in the past ten years are Tim Burton films and the Pirates of the Caribbean films. That cannot be good for a serious actor's brain, personality and talent.