Connor Macgregor Reviews Thread

→ in
Tools    

Connor Macgregor Reviews..The Adjustment Bureau

An intriguing idea that is sure to lure in an audience. And i was one of them as i review The Adjustment Bureau.

Do we control our destiny, or do unseen forces manipulate us? Matt Damon stars in the thriller The Adjustment Bureau as a man who glimpses the future Fate has planned for him and realizes he wants something else. To get it, he must pursue the only woman he's ever loved across, under and through the streets of modern-day New York. On the brink of winning a seat in the U.S. Senate, ambitious politician David Norris (Damon) meets beautiful contemporary ballet dancer Elise Sellas (Emily Blunt)-a woman like none he's ever known. But just as he realizes he's falling for her, mysterious men conspire to keep the two apart. David learns he is up against the agents of Fate itself-the men of The Adjustment Bureau-who will do everything in their considerable power to prevent David and Elise from being together. In the face of overwhelming odds, he must either let her go and accept a predetermined path..

The Premise of this film is very good. Many people compare this to Inception and i see why. It has a premise which defies our modern world. While Inception dealt with Dreams, Bureau deals with people with powers that defy our own. Matt Damon & Emily Blunt have great chemistry and really fit as a developing couple. The People also known as The Bureau are quite creepy, but we see them a lot which destroys their creepiness of the story as well as reveal too much about them.

The Editing i also liked, despite one or two slightly misguided shots and spots of boom mics. But i liked the way it was shot and helped with that slightly supernatural sense to the story.

Overall, I enjoyed this film and if your thinking of seeing it, please do. Its not as complicated as Inception, but it does require you to think once or twice, but ultimately its sit back and relax.

Rating - 84% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Incredibles

I would say this is one of Pixar's most underrated film they have made, but it is debatable. This is a review of The Incredibles.

Mr. Incredible (A.K.A. Bob Parr), and his wife Helen (A.K.A. Elastigirl), are the world's greatest famous crime-fighting superheroes in Metroville. Always saving lives and battling evil on a daily basis. But fifteen years later, they have been forced to adopt civilian identities and retreat to the suburbs where they have no choice but to retire of being a superhero and force to live a "normal life" with their three children Violet, Dash and Jack-Jack (who were secretly born with superpowers). Itching to get back into action, Bob gets his chance when a mysterious communication summons him to a remote island for a top secret assignment. He soon discovers that it will take a super family effort to rescue the world from total destruction.

For many reasons, i adore this film so much. First of all is the characters. I love these characters and their personalities, and how their superpowers help to mend their personalities together. You have Bob AKA Mr Incredible as the strong father who is strong and tough and is the man of the house. Helen AKA Elastigirl, who has to keep order and be in multiple places at once hence the stretching. Dash Parr who is fast and ecentric which is common for a ten year old boy. Violet who is shy and a sort of loner and tends to have her own space, hence the forcefields. Jack Jack is the baby, but his power isn't known yet. Samuel L Jackson voices Frozone who i just think is great (Despite he looks like Cyclops).

The Villian is one of the best villians quite possibly in cinema. Syndrome voiced by Jason Lee. He wanted to be a superhero, but after being rejected by Mr Incredible, he becomes a really dark person and sets out to become a superhero in the most horrific of ways. Its quite dark for Pixar standards.

The Incredibles is a very entertaining film and underrated in some ways. A Great premise, realistic but also unrealistic setting, well developed characters, this film has all the parts to create a pixar classic.

Rating - 99% - A

i think its more Cars than The Incredibles. But Regardless, i don't think Pixar have made an average film yet. All of their films have been modern classics if perfectly honest.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I think it's more likely that The Incredibles is the most overrated Pixar film.
Blasphemy!! Even by honeykid standards.

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Office Space

I first heard of Office Space through a parody of it. I liked what i saw and was determined to check out the original film, and by god it was great.

In the Initech office, the insecure Peter Gibbons hates his job and the abusive Division VP Bill Lunbergh that has just hired two consultants to downsize the company. His best friends are the software engineers Michael Bolton and Samir Nagheenanajar that also hate Initech, and his next door neighbor Lawrence. His girlfriend Annie is cheating on him but she convinces Peter to visit the hypnotherapist Dr. Swanson. Peter tells how miserable his life is and Dr. Swanson hypnotizes him and he goes into a state of ecstasy. However, Dr. Swanson dies immediately after giving the hypnotic suggestion to Peter. He dates the waitress Joanna and changes his attitude in the company, being promoted by the consultants. When he discovers that Michael and Samir will be fired, they decide to plant a virus in the account system to embezzle fraction of cents in each financial operation into Peter's account. However Michael commits a mistake in the software and instead of decimals...

So many great things to say about this. Its a comedy that relates to people. You have the main character hating his job and the direction his life is taking him. And then one day, he has an epihemy in a very funny way, and decides that he doesn't care about his work life and sets his goal to get fired. There are many good characters in the film especially my favourite character Milton played by Stephen Root who is very good and very funny as well. I've even started to mumble.

We also have a Jennifer Aniston before her career has gone to the place it is now. She is a good actress, but today its the work she gets. Its not very funny and her characters aren't interesting. In Office Space, this is a role where she is very good in. Edgy, interesting personality and chemistry with the other characters.

Gary Cole is another actor i really like and hopefully we see more of because he has a great personality and acting range to him. In Office Space, he plays that boss we all hate despite the fact he does nothing wrong.

I also love the locations in the film and the cinematography. Its a very 90s film and could work today, but that 90s feel it has makes it very great to watch.

Overall, a modern classic comedy. One you should pay your money to buy or rent and have a watch. Its great!

Rating - 85% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Rango

Johnny Depp & Gore Verbinksi...no its not Pirates 4, but its a homage to another Depp character. The basic story is Rango is an ordinary chameleon who accidentally winds up in the town of Dirt, a lawless outpost in the Wild West in desperate need of a new sheriff.

Now i liked this film, but didn't love it. Firstly however, i loved the animation. Like Toy Story 3, its perfect. Really has detail and works in HD. Voice acting is very good. Depp has his usual charm to his roles which he himself is always good at. Supporting Cast are also very good.

My Problem with it was that the story is not great. I mean, its good but not a classic. I kept thinking "Boy there isn't anything jumping out the story". Plus i had a headache that day too.

Overall, short but sweet, Rango is a good animation film to take your kids to, but you yourself might enjoy it too.

Rating - 76% - B+

Before i begin this review, i just like to say a thanks for Movie Fourm heads for putting me in the speical reviews section of this thread. Thanks!!!

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Drag Me To Hell

Sam Raimi proved in the 80s that he does horror very well with The Evil Dead Franchise, so can he strike gold once again with this ?

Christine Brown is a loans officer at a bank but is worried about her lot in life. She's in competition with a competent colleague for an assistant manager position and isn't too sure about her status with a boyfriend. Worried that her boss will think less of her if she shows weakness, she refuses a time extension on a loan to an old woman, Mrs. Ganush, who now faces foreclosure and the loss of her house. In retaliation, the old woman place a curse on her which, she subsequently learns, will result in her being taken to hell in a few days time. With the help of a psychic, she tries to rid herself of the demon, but faces several hurdles in the attempt.

We have been analysing the hell out of this film in Media Studies class in College, so i would like to get this off my chest. This film is cheesy fun and that is it. Your not meant to take it seriously. Your just meant to sit back and have fun with it. The acting by Alison Lohman is good and makes the film believeable. Sam Raimi's direction is also fairly good, but his Spiderman films were a step up i think. The Story is good and knows its not serious horror. I like the buildup as well as the events that shape the story. Its effective yet cliched.

Overall, really fun film but not a classic by any means and is another one of Raimi's forgettables.

Rating - 72% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Burn After Reading

Boy oh boy is this going to be a good review. I love Coen Films and if i am honest, this is one of their best.

Osbourne Cox, a Balkan expert, is fired at the CIA, so he begins a memoir. His wife wants a divorce and expects her lover, Harry, a philandering State Department marshal, to leave his wife. A diskette falls out of a gym bag at a Georgetown fitness center. Two employees there try to turn it into cash: Linda, who wants money for elective surgery, and Chad, an amiable goof. Information on the disc leads them to Osbourne who rejects their sales pitch; then they visit the Russian embassy. To sweeten the pot, they decide they need more of Osbourne's secrets. Meanwhile, Linda's boss likes her, and Harry's wife leaves for a book tour. All roads lead to Osbourne's house.

I LOVE THIS FILM! I love its dark but comedic story. Its a story about a bunch of idiots who create a confusing complication that ends with The CIA getting involved...in a way. The Performances are excellent. John Malkovich is a great lead and holds a great performance. He has a short temper and isn't a guy to mess with as he starts going slightly mad.

The Supporting Cast as well are fantastic. George Clooney plays an Homeland Agent who is in many ways a complete twat. He goes around and sleeps with other woman behind his wife's back. Frances McDormand plays a real funny character who is trying to pay for plastic surgery and gets emboiled in a major scheme. Tilda Swinton plays Malkovich's wife, who isn't in it much but is really good and very snobbish. The key performance and the character who starts up this whole stupidity is Brad Pitt's character who is just a dumbass and really sets up the events which the film centers around. Other performances include Richard Jenkins, JK Simmons & David Rasche.

The Cinematography is also lovely as all Coen Bros Films are. Its pretty to watch, but the story itself is dark, with comedic characters and moments in it.

Overall, one of my favourite comedies in a long time. Its my type of comedy and one of my favourite Coen Bros films. Its a Must See!!!

Rating - 99% - A

Connor Macgregor Reviews...The Mummy

A remake of a Universal Classic, can the studio do justice ? I am reviewing the 1999 remake of The Mummy.

An English librarian called Evelyn Carnahan becomes interested in starting an archaeological dig at the ancient city of Hamunaptra. She gains the help of Rick O'Connell, after saving him from his death. What Evelyn, her brother Jonathan and Rick are unaware of is that another group of explorers are interested in the same dig. Unfortunately for everyone, this group ends up unleashing a curse which been laid on the dead High Priest Imhotep. Now 'The Mummy' is awake and it's going to take a lot more than guns to send him back from where he came from.

This is a chilldhood favourite of mine, and quite frankly its a fun film to watch. Instead of a horror aspect, it takes a more adventure approach and to everyone's surprise, it works. It has a great selection of characters in which i liked most of them. Even the ones that were killed off early. Omid Djalili, an actor i like in other TV or Film plays a sleazy jail owner and i actually wanted him to survive, but events in the film take a turn i wasn't a fan of. Future TV Star Tuc Watkins has a good role in it, and i also liked the americans as well as the british side of the cast. Brenden Fraser plays a great lead, with Rachel Weisz playing a good woman. John Hannah plays the comedic role. Arnold Vosloo as The Mummy starts off good i presume, but the curse influences him to become bad and seek vengeance on those who buried him. The Mummy is unstoppable and will destroy anything in his path to ressurect his long lost love.

The Action Sequences are very good and keep the film exciting and entertaining. It has a mixture of CGI as well as practical action sequences. They both work very well off each other and again make the film exciting.

Overall, The Mummy is a remake which is really good. In fact its possibly one of the best ever made. Its Possible. If you havent't seen it, then your missing out and its definately one to see.

Rating - 87% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Jeepers Creepers

I felt like i was in the mood for one of these films, and to be honest, for what it was, it was ok.

On their way back home during the spring break, Darry and Patricia Jenner witness a mysterious person dumping something down a tunnel. Deciding to discover what was dumped down there, Darry discovers a huge disturbing hideout full of modified bodies. Darry and Patricia set off to get help, unaware that the individual is now aware of who has been down the tunnel. Darry and Patricia soon realizes that their pursuer is not just a mysterious person, but something even more horrifying, who has more in store than they could possibly imagine.

It has your basic B Horror plot with that unusual twist. Now for what it is, its good, but its not a film that will go down as a all time great. The acting by the two leads (Justin Long & Gina Phillips) is good and convincing as a brother sister relationship, but it wares off when the plot kicks in. Its not really that creepy because i feel i have seen these creepy type plots before in other B Movie films.

I think the villian in this is quite scary, and very original. Its sardistic and the fact he has a van is a reference to Steven Spielberg's Duel. I liked him, he was dark and dangerous and grumsome.

Overall, Jeepers Creepers is fun and creepy, but cliched at the same time.

Rating - 61% - B

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Leon

Saw this in college and here is my review. That it all.

Mathilda, a twelve-year old New York girl, is living an undesirable life among her half-family. Her father stores drugs for two-faced cop Norman Stansfield. Only her little brother keeps Mathilda from breaking apart. One day, Stansfield and his team take cruel revenge on her father for stretching the drugs a little, thus killing the whole family. Only Mathilda, who was out shopping, survives by finding shelter in Léon's apartment in the moment of highest need. Soon, she finds out about the strange neighbour's unusual profession - killing - and desperately seeks his help in taking revenge for her little brother. Léon, who is completely unexperienced in fatherly tasks, and in friendships, does his best to keep Mathilda out of trouble - unsuccessfully. Now, the conflict between a killer, who slowly discovers his abilities to live, to feel, to love and a corrupt police officer, who does anything in his might to get rid of an eye witness...

Leon is a very interesting film. Jean Reno plays a character who is in the situation mainly because there isn't really much else. His character is a very interesting one to watch. He can kill, yet cannot read very well nor write. He has a very interesting friendship with Natalie Portman's character. Natalie was only a teenager come this role, but she plays it brilliantly and could have been nominated for an oscar (Shame it took her this long to get noticed) but her performance is a must beat for any child actress out there.

Its gritty realism and vile performance by Gary Oldman really make this film standout. You see this ugly side of New York that disguises itself as good fun to live in, but the cops are corrupt and the place is like a warzone but covered up. Portman's character wants revenge despite not being really loved by her family, but she still loved them as they did her.

Overall, Leon is a modern crime classic with great characters and story.

Rating - 81% - A-

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Dr Strangelove

One of Kubrick's earlier stuff before 2001 and when he had more freedom over his work. And to be honest, i had too high expectations for this film.

U.S. President Merkin Muffley is on the hot line to Moscow with some rather embarrassing news for the Soviet premier: "Hello, Dimitri....I'm fine....Now then, you know how we've always talked about the possibility of something going wrong with the bomb....The bomb, Dimitri. The hydrogen bomb....Well, now, what happened is that, uh, one of our base commanders...he went a little funny in the head....and he went and did a silly thing....He ordered his planes to attack your country." A comedy about an accidental nuclear attack? One that ends with total annihilation, thermonuclear apocalypse? Preposterous! Stanley Kubrick thought otherwise. In the end his thinking prevailed. The mad saga revolves around a psychotic Strategic Air Command officer, Gen. Jack D. Ripper, who lets loose his B-52 bomber squadron on the Soviet Union. Ripper takes this unilateral action because of his paranoid belief that Communists are sapping and contaminating "all our precious bodily fluids" as part of their plan to take over the world." Unbeknownst to Ripper, his attack will trigger the Russian's ultimate weapon, the Doomsday Machine, a diabolical retaliatory device set to blow up the planet.

So i guess now with all Kubrick films, i am going to have high expectations with, and this is an example of why i didn't love this film as much as most people did. I think its a dark film, but its laughs are very few. Its more dealing with the subject matter than being a black comedy. As usual, its well shot. The shots in the bunker makes you feel you are actually there, where as in the war room, the open space again makes you feel you are present. This is because Kubrick knows what makes good shots to tell a story.

Peter Sellers is fantastic in this film, playing three different characters. The nervous Brittish General, The quiet American President and The Goofy Nazi Scientist. All fantastic performances which make Sellers worthy of awards glory. My favourite is the course of the scientist, just because of his goofiness and the fact that he is losing his mind.

Overall, not Kubrick's best and not a masterpiece, but its interesting and at parts very funny.

Rating - 76% - B+

Connor Macgregor Reviews...Jackie Brown

Quentin Tarentino you can't deny is an audience favourite and pays homage to different genres that were forgotten about in the past. With Jackie Brown, Its a return to Blaxploitation with a twist, and in my eyes, his best film to date.

44 year old flight attendant Jackie Brown gets caught with gun dealer Ordell Robbie's money and to get the ATF off her back she sets up Ordell with her new friend, a bail bondsman named Max Cherry. But what the ATF doesn't know, is that they are part of her wild plan to get Ordell's half million dollars and get off scott free. However, she has to do it under the noses of both Ordell, the ATF man and a local cop. What she doesn't know is Ordell's blonde beach bunny wants the money for herself as does Ordell's ex-con friend

This is easily Tarentino's best film by a long shot. For once, every character is different and not similar like in Tarentino's other films. Pam Grier plays a character with not much to lose, so she decides to go all out and get something for herself. She knows both cops and criminals and is useful to both sides. Samuel L Jackson plays one of the funniest yet most hateful villians in modern cinema. He is a badass who will do anything to get what he wants. Robert De Niro is underplayed in this film, but is funny none the less. Then there is Michael Keaton who plays the cop from another film (But seeing as the film was based off a novel, the author had the same character from another novel which was also made into a film). He is sort of a cocky anti hero but with a good heart. And there is Bridget Fonda who is funny but underplayed. Robert Forster is also very good in this film and plays a love interest to Pam Grier's character.

One thing that Tarentino Films always do best at is the music. There is always one or two songs that catch your taste and you can't help but sing along with. With my case, there was two in the film, but there were loads of others that were just as good. The Camera Work is equally as good and makes the story alot more interesting.

Overall, Jackie Brown is Quentin Tarentino's best film. Its a great story, with great characters as well as awesome music and cinematography, this is an underrated gem.

Rating - 100% - A+