Suspect's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Life During Wartime (Todd Solondz)

"A Dark...Dark Film"

Caught this film at the Toronto International Film Festival. Life During Wartime is a depressing and envelop pushing film that crosses boundaries, but never feels gross or shocking for the sake of it. For those familiar with Todd Solondz previous films Welcome To The Dollhouse and Happiness, you know what type of material is in his films. This one is no exception.

Telling the story of a dysfunctional family, we follow 3 separate stories. The father, who was just released from prison after some cruel and disgusting charges tries to find his son, to make sure he doesn't turn out like him. The son is in college, he has two siblings, a younger brother who is turning 13 and becoming a man with a bar mitzvah and a younger sister who is a karaoke singer. The wife/mother is looking for a new lover in her life and finds this other man who makes her, in her own words to her 12 year old son, wet. Finally the sister of the mother who mixes romance and her work. The problem is that death follows her wherever she goes and it has kind of driven her crazy. Even a small scene with a second sister is here in which she hides her depressed life behind fake smiles and success.

Get all that? This is my first Todd Solondz film, but I know of his previous films and what they dealt with and I can say that Happiness is darker. Life During Wartime isn't with it's fair share of uncomfortable scenes. Specifically the son asking about his father and why he is in prison. The father is played by Ciarán Hinds, who has little dialogue, but the scenes in which he confronts his son is powerful and stands as the most memorable. Paul Reubens plays an interesting character who only two scenes, but those two scenes are stand outs.

Everything about the film is awkward, straight from the beginning. There are moments that you laugh at, that make you feel dirty. Janey as the mother is comical and if you're a fan of Happiness look out for some recurring characters. It kind of plays out like a sequel (according to my friend, who's a fan).

The film is well shot and acted, it doesn't really drag, but it is slow. It's mostly scene after scene of conversations. It's not a laugh riot and there are no laugh out loud scenes. The comedy is dark and subtle at times. It's more dramatic and depressing than comedic. It feels short and the ending leaves a lot to be desired. It was abrupt and left a lot of questions unanswered.

It explores how well one can forgive someone and mirrors reality. It will divide the audience and fans of his earlier work will most likely be satisfied. I enjoyed it, but it's not a film I would want to see again. I give it credit for being a well done film and it's thought provoking in some scenes, as a whole the film is good. It just has a certain audience and you'll know if you're one of them or not.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
Nice review, man. I've seen a couple of Solondz's films and reckon they're pretty decent, will definitely check this out when it comes out.

Happy New Year from Philly!
I admire Solondz. He is uncompromising but I have to examine whether I can handle another trip through his understanding of the human condition. I am still getting over Happiness, but Welcome to the Dollhouse was the story of my childhood...only sunnier.

The cast sounds outstanding. Is that Shirley Henderson I see before me?

The Invention Of Lying (Ricky Gervais & Matthew Robinson)

"Clever Concept That Never Fully Materializes"

In a world where everyone must tell the truth, one man after being fired and almost evicted is pushed to the limits. His brain does something abnormal, he tells a lie. Not just any lie, the world's first lie. Since no one in this universe has ever heard a lie before, they take it as fact. Now this man has the world at his feet.

It is a clever concept, a clever and more massive spin on Liar Liar, yet that might not be such a good thing. The premise of this film is funny, but it becomes too much of itself and is tiresome after a while. The joke goes on and on, he tells lies, people believe him. In one scene a lie gets him in too deep to dig himself back up and that's where the conflict in this film comes in. Yet one can ask themselves a simple question, why not just lie his way out of it, instead of digging deeper holes.

Gervais is at the lead again, after his feel good comedy Ghost Town, which people decided to skip. This time around he's also behind the camera, yet nothing technical about this film pops out, it plays out like an average comedy, relying on it's one concept. The one concept gets some laughs here and there, but there are never any really laugh out loud moments.

The film has some emotional scenes, that influence the rest of the film. The comedy kind of takes a second step to the theme of religion. Some people may find this irritating. Jennifer Garner plays the romantic lead, who finds Gervais fat and with a stubby nose, not a good match genetically for a marriage and children. Yet they form a friendship, one in which Gervais hopes will blossom into something more. Does it? Well, how do romantic comedies usually work out? Here the outcome doesn't seem too believable. Things happens and people react without really knowing why, this leaves little for character arc.

How do people live in a world with no lies? Well, when you want to watch a film, you go to the theatre. In that theatre you'll see a guy sitting in a chair reciting history. Since, movies are mostly fiction, no one can make one, cause it would be a lie. See where this film goes? A retirement home becomes "A place where old people go to die", so on and so on.

The film does have some really funny cameos. It's mostly the usual comedy round, but there is at least one in which I was so caught off guard that I just couldn't help but laugh. Look out for a cop. Jonah Hill and Louis C.K. play two supporting character, neither are funny.

The film is funny, but not enough to warrant a theatre viewing. This has rental written all over it. It simply cannot stand on it's concept for too long, because it becomes a bit dull. If it were a short, I could enjoy it more.

Where The Wild Things Are (Spike Jonze)

"There's One In All Of Us"

After getting into an argument with his mother, young Max runs away from home. He runs into a nearby wooded area, that leads us into his wild imagination. He, dressed up in a wolf costume, sets sail to an island that is inhabited by these giant talking creatures, who then take Max as their king.

The Shawshank Redemption and 2001: A Space Odyssey are both successful films that are based on short stories. Where The Wild Things Are is a new film from Spike Jonze based on a child's book that is extremely short. So short that one would think how on earth could it ever be turned into a film? One would have to go beyond the written and illustrated pages to make something like this work. It seems films based on stories and books that are relatively short succeed more than films based on books that are longer. There is more room for them to move around with.

Jonze, who started off in commercials and has since had a very successful working relationship with Charlie Kauffman, is behind the camera for this adaptation. Along with Dave Eggers, they add much more depth and emotion to the story. I knew going in that the film would have next to no plot, and that's pretty much the case, but that's not what this film needs. In other words, much like 2001: A Space Odyssey again, this is more of an experience, than a film. An experience that is not all fun and laughter.

Where The Wild Things Are is funny and heartfelt, yet also depressing and lonely. The advertisements make the film seems like a wonderful kids adventure. While the film does have bits of adventure in it, it is much darker and a bit more adult. The film explores relationships, loneliness, sadness, trust, love, etc. More than one might expect from a film based on a book that has very few words in it.

Max runs away from home after his mother doesn't give him the attention he wants. Who can blame her, she is a single mother, working hard and trying to have a relationship. He finds comfort and acceptance in this world he creates with these creatures that at first seem intimidating, but once you get up close to them are harmless. Each one has their own distinct voice and look. The voice actors all do a great job bringing just the right amount of emotion to each one.
Gandolfini voices Carol, Max's counterpart in the film. They have an instant connection. Both characters have to go through their own complex obstacles and learn from each other. Chris Cooper and Paul Dano supply voices for more Wild Things, each add their own little flair to their characters and it's Dano as the Ram, who gets the most laughs.

In order for this film to work, you need to connect to these beasts. I did, and the film worked for me. I was having fun when they were and sad when they were crying. Max Records, the young boy, has to carry this film, being the only human on screen for 80% of the film. He brings that sense of innocence to the role, seeing his mistakes and growing up to try to make them right. The creatures are wonderful. I'm glad they didn't use CGI for the entire characters. The use of people in costumes, mixed with animatronics and CGI work beautifully and feel more real than anything Michael Bay can conjure up.

The soundtrack is wonderful and the film has that emotional punch that will grab you. It might drag in places, but the overall experience is a good one. Be careful if you brings your kid though, I'm not sure if the content will be too much for them. There are some frightening scenes, and one in which a limb falls off. It may also be just too weird for some kids. Max literally hides inside one of these creatures. Where The Wild Things Are is a wild, weird fantasy that I look forward to see again.

SAW VI (Kevin Greutert)

Can We Finally Put A Nail In This Coffin?

With Special Agent Strahm dead, Hoffman can continue Jigsaw's work and make more people stare death in the face for a chance at redemption. Although, not everything goes according to his plans, as two agents are hot on his tracks.

Okay, so you know the gist of what the film is about. It's exactly the same as every other SAW film. A killer puts someone in a trap, twists and turns and boom, leave room for another film. This one is no different. First being tagged as the final SAW film. The one to complete Jigsaw's true game, it leaves the viewer with an emptiness and false promises.

Once you get into a number as high as 6, in a horror franchise, you know the film can't be that good. It seemed that SAW somehow broke that trend and gave it's fans what they wanted. Sure, the quality has dropped with every new entry, but it's not like the films are horribly bad. Saw V was the worst of the bunch, I dreaded the next one. Yet to my surprise, this one is a step up.

What this series has manage to do is keep a continuous mystery throughout every film. Each new film would add another piece to a puzzle that fans just ate up. What's on the tape, what's in the box, what's in the letter, etc. Keeping an audience interested in a series this long, I give them props. Making a new SAW film every year in time for Halloween and not having them be excessively bad. I also give props to. In the end, the SAW series is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be.

I love the first one, the rest have gone from mediocre to bad. This one falls into the mediocre category. It has all the gore, all the elaborate traps all the confusion the others have, yet I didn't come away as ticked off or as dirty as I did with V. I still find Hoffman to be a poor substitute for Jigsaw. I'm not a fan of their explanation for his final, true game. I'm not even a fan of the traps in this one, yet the film managed to be entertaining.

I laughed at parts I shouldn't have, I cheered for scenes that involved mutilation of body parts. For an average movie goer, I'd tell them to avoid this one, but for a fan of the series, I say enjoy. It tidies up a lot of unanswered questions and yes, leaves the door open for the next installment. One I hope I don't have to see, but will obviously end up watching.

Paranormal Activity (Oren Peli)

A Theatre Experience I'll Never Forget

A couple decide to document their nights while the sleep, after they hear strange noises that they believe to be a haunting.

I respect this film, for the fact that it was shot for less than 20,000, had absolutely no marketing campaign and has become a huge success based on word of mouth and the audience demanding to see it. If only other studios would follow suit and listen to people demanding to see movies they want to see, maybe there wouldn't be so much crap out there.

Paranormal Activity is shot like Cloverfield, Blair Witch Project, REC, Cannibal Holocaust, etc. If any of those films gave you motion sickness, you might want to skip this one. Half the film is shot while they sleep, so the film is on a tri-pod, the other half is them walking around with it. So if you've never been a fan of those films, skip this one. Second, the film is not as scary as people make it out to be. Instead, it is one creepy and suspenseful film, that seeing in a theatre, only heightened my enjoyment of it.

The audience I went with, all had a collective "Oh My God". I could hear it every time something creepy happened. You could literally feel everyone in the theatre holding their breath every time they went to sleep. Again, if you are the type of person who wants to watch a film and not hear a peep out of anyone else, skip this film.

Now the film itself, shot in one week, small (very small) budget and every penny of it went towards the special effects. The special effects are what sell the film, if you don't buy them, the film will not creep you out. They looked real and impressive enough to push the film into a successful goal, which is to scare people. If you are already afraid of the dark, this film will not help you. Every creek, thump, noise you hear in your house will now have you thinking twice.

Less is more, The Blair Witch Project uses this, as does Paranormal Activity. The two leads, are haunted by a demon, one we never see, only hear. Whenever you go into a horror film, as a kid you would close your eyes in fear. Big mistake, because it's the ears you need to be covering. The sound is what makes you jump, hear nothing, fear nothing. The sound design behind this film is what is scary people, accompanied by the visuals (memorable scenes with the powder and bed sheets).

As the film progresses, the haunting gets worse. I don't want to give anything away, and I urge you to not watch the trailer. I watched the trailer and was waiting for those things to happen, it took away from the general fear. Not knowing what to expect will make this film that much better, that much creepier and that much more entertaining. I didn't expect it to be as funny as it was either, the lead male had some comic relief dialogue, the ease the tension.

The couple are believable, the hand held camera angle works here and the fear will set in. I applaud Paranormal Activity, for not only becoming an unheard of success, but for being one of the creepiest films I've ever seen.

Bravo.

G.I.Joe (Stephen sommers)

"I Went In Expecting To Hate It"

A top secret organization known as G.I.Joe must take on an arms dealer hell bend on destroying parts of the world.

In watching the previews for this film the first thing that came to my mind was "This is going to suck". The over the top cheese factor was all over the previews. The suits they wear to make them run faster, jump higher, was ridiculous. Not to mention the horribly miscast lead of Tatum and the out of the blue decision to include Quaid. With all of this going against, I finished the film was a smile on my face. I was...wait for it....entertained.

I thought I was going to hate this film, it didn't feel like a G.I. Joe film to me, it felt like they were just cashing in on the character names and fan base. This still feels true, but the film has fun with itself and never tries to be more than the sum of its parts. When you compare it to other loud and dumb action films of the summer, like Transformers 2 and Wolverine, G.I. Joe is better.

The plot is inane and they do screw up some characters. They had a chance to do something special with the "Rise of Cobra" but the sequences of his "flashback" seem wasted. The character himself is weird and nothing what I, or the fans for the most part, expected. Is he bad? In those terms yes, but for some strange reasons he works in this film. He was more interesting than any of the other characters. Scarlett is heavily underwritten as is Heavy Duty. In the realms of this film they do their job, heavy gunner and sex pot. Duke, the aforementioned Tatum is the main character and Tatum plays it wooden. He has a relationship with the Baroness, but it's hastily thrown together and doesn't have the weight it should. The is the same for Cobra and his relationships in the film.

The special effects are mixed here, sometimes it looks horrible, such as Destro's face and the obvious green screen moments. Other times it blends in relatively well with the action scenes. The attack on the Joes and the Paris chase sequences are well done and thrilling. I get excited seeing a group of highly trained "bad-guys" fight highly trained "good-guys". I would guess that's why I liked the movie as much as I did. That and every scene with Snake Eyes. Who, for a character who doesn't speak, has more back story to him than most of the other characters.

This film is not as bad as everyone says it is, it is pure popcorn entertainment with over the top action sequences and some cheese. The 3rd act takes place underwater and there are fight sequences in underwater vehicles. It's a neat spin on the space battles you see in Star Wars. I expected trash, got high-octane entertainment. I might be really generous with this score and on a second viewing it might go lower, but as I said before...I was entertained.

Fantastic Mr. Fox (Wes Anderson)

Holy Cuss, This Is A Great Film

Giving up his life of a chicken thief because of a child on the way, Mr. Fox gets a job as a newspaper writer and lives underground. Years pass, he child is older and he wants to move to a tree and not feel poor anymore. Along the way he takes in his nephew and decides to steal again, from the three biggest farmers. The farmers get wise and start a battle against Mr. Fox, his family and all their creature friends.

At first I didn't know if I wanted to see this, the animation looked really bad. But after thinking about it for a bit, I found that it fit into Anderson's style, it was something that he would do. So I gave the film a shot and I'm glad I did. This film has Anderson's signature style all over it, right down to the obvious voice casting, which has the likes of George Clooney, Meryl Streep, Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Michael Gambon, Owen Wilson, and Willem Dafoe.

A lot of people, and I'm including myself in this bunch, might think nothing of this film. After all, it doesn't have the bright, adventurous feel of the recent Disney/Pixar films that have been dominating the animation scene. I'd even throw Dreamworks into that bunch. Those films are done by people who are at ease in their field, animated director like Brad Bird and John Lasseter know their way around the animation style. Yet here comes auteur Wes Anderson, who has a unique style and sense of comedy. His transition to animation, stop motion animation no less, is smart, funny and a pleasure. Is it his best film? Of course not, but it's one of the more enjoyable ones.

The voice cast all work well, Clooney does a good job as the lead. He has that leadership tone in his voice, that arrogance that is needed for the character. Streep isn't given much to do, so her role as the wife is pretty basic, as is the character. Their son Ash, voice by Bored To Death star Jason Schwartzman was a stand out for me, as was Eric Chase Anderson, as Kristofferson. That name might not sound familiar, that's because his resume only consists of Anderson films. Bill Murray plays a badger and Fox's lawyer, who advises him not to buy the tree house. Fox does anyway and that's why he's in this mess. The animals are really small and live in this world where there are apparently small motorbikes for them to use. They can communicate with the human characters, no one seems to find it odd in this little world they live in. You won't find it odd either, you'll just be enjoying the fun.

Each chapter is subtitled, Fox's Master Plan A, Fox's Master Plan B, etc. They even tell you how time passes in human years and fox years and in a comical bit one human hour compare to one fox hour. You never know how long these hours are in comparison to each other, you don't want to know either, it just adds to the uniqueness of the film. At heart, these characters are still wild animals, as Fox even says this in the film, and the way they eat and "fight" each other proves this.

The film has that Anderson humour and might go over some kids heads. It's dark in some places, as one character dies, but I think they will enjoy it. They won't jump up and down for it like Up, or Finding Nemo. They won't want to go out and buy the latest Mr. Fox stuffed animal or toy. This feels more like a film for adults, it doesn't really cater to the kids, but they will have their bits to laugh at, like the possum who stares blankly at some people for whatever reason.

This film was made from scratch, this world Anderson creates is fun and I had a fun time being in it. The film flies by it's running time and I never found the film dragging. It was in and out. As stated before, the kids might enjoy this, but it's more for adults. There's smoking and there's even a unique way of swearing, which I found funny. The camera movements scream Wes Anderson and if you're a fan, then you will enjoy this very much.

One of my favourite films of the year.

Nine (Rob Marshall)

I Wanted To Like It More Than I Did

Guido Contini, a famous Italian director, is struggling with his next big film. He has no script and no inspiration, but everyone is counting on him. He tries to juggle both his new film, his wife, his mistress, his producer and his muse. Oh yeah, he also talks to his dead mother.

Nine is an ambitious film, I'll give it that. Rob Marshall, the director of the Best Picture winner Chicago serves up a mix bag with Nine. The film feels like a Marshall is trying to rekindle the magic he had with Chicago, he comes up short, specifically with the musical numbers. For everything that I liked about it, there were two things I didn't. Nine needs to be more focused and shorter for it to be a film I would recommend.

The film is about film-making, yet the way Marshall presents the film to us is in the style of a stage play. Everything from the set-pieces to lighting screams stage play. It was an interesting touch, but felt out of place because it dealt with the art of film-making so much. The musical numbers, all uninspiring and rather boring, even attest to this. With the exception of Fergie, who gives us the best song and dance number that uses sand in a creative way, all the other numbers are generic and rather 'not good'. When you have a Grammy winner singing a song and then have Kate Hudson sing one, there is a difference, and it is more noticeable than the filmmakers might have wanted.

Nine has a great cast, most of them are Oscar winners too. Daniel Day Lewis, with an amazing Italian accent, is the obvious stand out. He plays sexy and stressed all in one look. Penelope Cruz is the mistress, who has the sexiest scene of this movie, her career and this year. Her work in this film is pretty basic, the other lover who wants to be the one loved. With the exception of DDL, the only other actor that is given any kind of emotional depth is Marion Cotillard. She has to go through the realization that her husband is cheating on her and make the choice to stay or leave. Everyone else is pretty much there to fill up time and sing their one song. Judie Dench is the fashion designer and she plays a motherly figure, whereas Sophia Loren plays his actual mother, well his dead mother, but he still sees and talks to her. Fergie has her one scene in which she steals the show with her tune and then Nicole Kidman turns up at the end and makes you wince with her accent. Don't get me started on Kate Hudson.

The problem is that these are good actors, with just no material to work with. Daniel Day Lewis is great, but he's a hard character to connect with, he's sleeping around with a lot of women, it feels like half the cast. Emotional scenes don't play out as well as they should and the film drags itself to the finish line near the end. I found myself wanting it to end sooner and sooner, but it kept going.

On the plus side, the choreography is great and the cinematography really grabs you, even if it is a little misplace with it's stage feel. The film is well put together and the editing is well done. It weaves it's story in and out of timelines from Guido's life, during the musical numbers. The film isn't bad, but it didn't do anything for me either. Leaving a musical not tapping your toes or even remembering the tunes may be a bad sign. I liked it enough to give it a good rating, the cast and style are good enough for me to do so, but everything else makes me lean on the side of telling you to rent this. It's well made, but has no real heart and the film is a little on the long side, you may be checking your watch.

It's Gorgeous, It's Entertaining, It's A Visual Orgasm.

A paraplegic marine is sent to a program that would give him the ability to walk, as well as be over ten feet tall with blue skin. He becomes a Na'vi, these native like creatures that live on Pandora, a moon that scientists and marines want to invade to grab some minerals that are worth lots and lots of money.

I must say that before I saw Avatar, in IMAX 3-D no less, I made an effort to avoid every trailer, every TV spots and anything regarding the plot. It was difficult because everything on the internet and in the media was AVATAR for the months leading up to it. But I managed to pull it off, knowing that knowing nothing about it would probably heighten my experience. It did. Was I expecting to be blown away? I was, did I? For the most part. The film, from a visual and technical stand point is marvelous. Is it the next step in film-making? It looks like it, but it feels more like a first step and not the giant leap people have been waiting for.

Avatar stars the next big star, Sam Worthington. His twin brother has died and the government needs him to operate this avatar that is worth millions. Since he is genetically identical, they figured it would be fine. Sigourney Weaver is the person spearheading the operation, she is always butting heads with Stephen Land, the Colonel and Giovanni Ribisi, the head honcho of everything. She wants to learn and comes to love the natives, they want to blow them all up. There is our conflict ladies and gentlemen. Where is Worthington in all this? He becomes emotionally attached to one of the Na'vi creatures and fights on their side. I don't blame him because for the first time ever, I was sexually attracted to a creature created from motion capture, played by Trekkie Zoe Saldana.

So Avatar is the big game changer, or so they say. Let me say that I wanted this film to be my Star Wars. I wasn't alive when that film came out, so I've never really had that AWE moment. Lord of the Ring came close and Avatar has come even closer. But it never really reached it. Cameron and his team have created a world with so much detail that you'll probably have to see the film twice just to break the surface. He paints the film in beautiful colours, even at night. Everything illuminates beautifully, and it was a smart move. Using 3-D technology, Cameron knew he had to brighten the picture, since everyone would have these dark classes on their eyes. His camera, which he created, gave him an edge on using the technology and he uses it well. It's not gimmicky like G-Force or lame like Harry Potter.

The film has many memorable sequences. I had heard the final battle is off the wall crazy and while it was well done and looked great, I didn't feel like it was 'off the wall crazy'. Seeing Worthington try and tame a creature of flight was one of the more memorable moments. Every moment on Pandora is beautiful and you literally have no idea what to expect. Cameron has created something new here and I commend him for that. In a year full of sequels and load obnoxious films that feel stale, Cameron has created a world that is new, fresh and bright. The story is something we've seen before, but we connect well enough with the characters that we care about the end battle. Did I care in Transformers? Hell no.

Cameron has yet to disappoint me, he continuously pushes the edge of technology and film in general. He takes risks and he manages to pull it off every time, despite the nay sayers. There have been millions of them, they doubted Titanic and when he proved them wrong, they doubted him again with Avatar. In my opinion, he's proved them wrong again, but I can see a lot of people not liking the film as much, The reason? A lot of people are having gripes with the story. It's not bad, it's just been done. I don't care if it's been done, as long as it's done well. Avatar does it well. People tell me that they don't expect the film to blow them away, it might not. I totally expect people to be 50/50 on this film.

In the end, Avatar is a film you need to see. I saw it in 3-D and in IMAX, I went in knowing nothing about it. I had no idea that they all controlled the Na'vi creatures, I had no idea about why they were there or even that he had a twin. Was the film worth it? It sure was, the experience is one to marvel in. This film was a film made for IMAX, and in the words of Cameron himself, made for 3-D. I don't think I would have enjoyed it as much as I did if it were a regular screen. Everyone's talking about it, everyone's seeing it, so be a part of the phenomenon.

Up In The Air (Jason Reitman)

Jason Reitman Is Becoming One Of My Favourite Directors

George Clooney is Ryan Bingham, a guy who has distant himself from family and friends. So much that he is a motivational speaker about only caring about things that really matter, or that can fit in your back pack. His job requires him to fly around the country firing people. Once this young hot shot girl comes along, she brings with her technology, a computer that makes it easier to fire people from the comfort of your own office. No more expensive flights for those guys like Bingham flying around firing people, this obviously causes a problem for him.

I always thought that the success of Juno was more because of Reitman than Cody, yet she was the one who got all the accolades. Both Juno and Thank You For Smoking are hilarious films with heart and are competently directed from Reitman. Both contain dark humour and themes (smoking/teen pregnancy) and yet they never cross that line of bad taste. Up In The Air is a welcomed addition and it follows the success and hilarity of Reitman's previous two films. Up In The Air is not my favourite Reitman film, that would be Thank You For Smoking, but it's his most mature work and it shows us that if he is this good now, what he has to deliver in the future will be marvelous.

Clooney is the lead, he has numerous plastic cards in his wallet for just about everything. Airlines, rental cars, hotel suits - he never throws them away, which comes back to hurt him when he has to try 3 or 4 of them before finding the right hotel room key. He meets Alex, played by Vera Farmiga, she is exactly like Ryan, the only difference between them, according to her, is that she has a vagina. Clooney belittles the new girl Natalie, played by Anna Kendrick, who brings in new technology, but is inexperienced in the 'art' of firing people. Or in their words, letting people go so they can make an easier transition to another stage in their lives. Jason Bateman, who is Clooney's boss, forces him to take the new girl under his wing on some firing trips, before they install these new computers. It's not a sexual relationship at all, it's more of a mentor and student relationship. Clooney and Farmiga have a purely sexual relationship, until Clooney starts to fall for her and must re-evaluate his life.

Along the way he must take a cardboard cutout of his sister and her fiancé, you know "like that French gnome movie", funny Amélie reference. Natalie begins challenging all of Ryan's beliefs in life. The chemistry between the two is not only funny, but it feels real. A father figure, for her when she needs to learn about life, in her job and relationships. The romance between Clooney and Farmiga is genuine and depressing. I was able to predict some things from the film, but the way it unfolds mixes the reality of the character's lonely life into the comedic elements of the film. The film balances both of these pretty well and it never weighs one over the other.

As mentioned before Bateman is Clooney's boss, his role is not as funny as some would expect from him, given his resume, but he does well. As does everyone else, Zach Galifianakis and J.K. Simmons have bit parts as two employees who lose their jobs. Clooney falls into the role perfectly, he's a normal guy with elite status. He thinks he's better than others, but he doesn't have to think it. He by passes people in lines waiting to buy their tickets, argues the best place to rent a car for luxury and he has a number in mind that he wants to reach in regards of miles flown. If he gets that number, he gets another card to add to his wallet.

Up In The Air is funny in subtle ways and respectable in others. It's story is depressing, especially for these times, but Reitman and Co. manage make it lighthearted. This is probably one of my favourite Clooney performances, he's sly and cool and makes people like him when we should despise such a character. The film is enjoyable and will be recognized come Oscar time. I expect to see the performances being rewarded with nominations and I hope to see Reitman get another one. As I said earlier, if his first three films give any indication as to what his future career will be like, then I'm going to be enjoying all of his films.

2009 A Year In Review

The year is over and what seemed to be another lackluster year of cinema ended with a bang. When I look back at 2009, I'll remember it as the year that Watchmen finally made it to the big screen after so many failed attempts, the year that James Cameron returned to the screen and the year that Michael Bay and Twilight sh*t all over us.

I'll start off with the WORST films I've seen this year. This films actually made my head hurt from the awfulness. Of course, if there is a really trashy film that is not on this list, I probably had the good mind of avoiding it.

Top Ten Worst Films Of The Year

10. The Last House On The Left

I've never seen the original, but this film was uninspired and boring. I never felt any connection to the lead actress, her friend or the parents. The villains were one note and the deaths are ruined from the trailer. The subject matter was heavy, but I think the filmmakers still played it safe with this one. It doesn't push any envelopes when it could and should have.

9. SAW VI

I've said this is one of the better SAW films, but that doesn't necessarily make it a good film. It has horribly fake deaths that are just as elaborate as the last one. An uninteresting lead character who has to go through the traps and again a poor substitute for jigsaw himself. It doesn't end the series, as it promised and should have either.

8. G-Force

I saw this one in 3D and wasn't impressed. It didn't add to the film at all. Aside from that, this film is not funny and will not please kids. The children in my theatre did not laugh and seemed bored. It plays more like an action film and turns into a transformers clone near the end. Nic Cage, who is really good in this film doesn't save it from it's unfunny shell.

7. Bruno

Did this film really need to exist? I enjoyed Borat for it's pushing of limitations and comment on society but Bruno comes off as as poor imitator. It takes 'envelope pushing' to the limits, which I guess is what they had it mind, but whatever story and comedy they intended for it is lost in the process. Bruno is not likable and the film instead of following Borat becomes a Jackass style film. One weird sexual awkward stunt after another.

6. My Bloody Valentine

Another horror remake that makes the list and another one in which I have not seen the original. This remake sells itself on the fact that it's in 3D, which means we will have a lot of "stabbing the audience" moments...and we do. Watching this, not in 3D, it's horribly obvious which moments were meant for the 3D audience. That aside, the film is poorly acted from a cast that belong on Dawson's Creak (wait, one was on that show) and the writing is stuff that monkeys can do. If the ending wasn't obvious in the one scene where the killer confronts one character in the mine shaft, then the obvious red herrings are. Props for having one character run around completely naked for 3 minutes.

5. Night at the Museum 2

I actually like the first one, I found it to be entertaining. I can't say the same for this CGI infested crap fest. The film is an excuse to throw CGI effects around the screen. Ben Stiller is not funny and plays it straight. Robin Williams is hardly in the film, heck anyone from the first one if hardly in the film. Every character gets side stepped for the sake of the effects, which are not that great to begin with. Amy Adams is good and beautiful, but she can't save this train wreck, one that uses the exact same gags from the first film and has so many questionable moments in it that you will hurt yourself thinking about them. How there are no night guards or that anyone doesn't even notice any of this is beyond me.

4. Jennifer's Body

Another sad excuse for a movie, this time it's sex. Jennifer's Body had a lot going for it. Megan Fox is the new sex symbol, Diablo Cody is hot off her Oscar and it's about time we have another horror comedy. All three fail. Megan Fox is hot for a few moments, then her horrible acting and annoying whining get on your nerves. The writing is pretty obvious Juno retread and the story goes in a completely different direction then what I at least had hoped for. Finally the film can't balance the horror or the comedy and it becomes neither horrific or funny.

3. He's Just Not That Into You

For a film with such a big cast you'd think someone would have read the script. Was everyone just looking for a paycheck? The situations these people are in are vomit inducing and the themes this film try to spew is ridiculous. It tells women one thing and guys another. Not to mention that none of the relationships seem real or even try to act genuine.

2. Transformers 2: Revenge of the Fallen

Two words that pop into my head when I think about this film is loud and obnoxious. While the special effects are good, the rest of the film falls flat on it's face. If people complained about not knowing which transformer was who in the first film, good luck even knowing what's happening on the screen this time. Megan Fox looks fake and acts like a plant. The useless additions of two racist autobots was unneeded and added more time to a film that was already 30 minutes too long. One character has to ask another what the plot of the film is. Such a step down from the good and entertaining first entry.

1. Halloween II

Rob Zombie looked like he had some promise as a director. After a failed attempt at reviving the genre with his throwback to the 80's House of 1,000 Corpses, he hits us with his best film, Devil's Rejects, then actually does an alright job remaking Halloween. Then he got lost, really lost. Halloween II comes off as a first time amateur director coming from either film school or making music videos. Zombie is better than this, but for some reason he thinks that rapid fire editing that make you lose any frame of geographical reference possible is good. He thinks that sending Myers on a trek across the globe is a good idea and never bothers to mention how he survived a gun shot to the face. Or that it's okay for the lead character to have nightmare after nightmare and have one that lasts way too long that the audience knows it's a nightmare before it's revealed. This film is trash's trash. Don't even get me started on a white horse or how ghosts are holding down people for Myers to kill. I could go on and on about the unoriginal kills and lack of any sense of horror and thrills, but I won't.

One of the worst films of the year I actually liked:

G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra

Sure it's lead actors are more wooden then....something made of wood, but strip the G.I. Joe title away and you have yourself an exciting popcorn action film that is over the top and fun.

Top Ten of 2009 coming soon....

Welcome to the human race...
I do love a good "bad movies" list - I don't think I've seen ten genuinely bad movies this year, just very mediocre ones. Funnily enough, 2009 was the year where I got to see the original Last House on the Left and My Bloody Valentine - both were relatively enjoyable pieces of low-grade slasher fare. I keep thinking I'll end up watching the remakes but I haven't bothered yet (and probably never will).

And I actually kind of liked Bruno. It's stupid and a pale imitation of Borat, but it had a few funny moments.

One last thing - Jennifer's Body was supposed to come out here sometime last month but distributors actually decided to cancel the theatrical release mere days away from it actually happening. Make of that what you will.