Lennon's reviews!

→ in
Tools    

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?

RoboCop

Ah RoboCop, how have not seen thee yet? It's always been on of those movies I've meant to seen, but when another movie I wanted to see, RoboCop was backed down the Queue. Finally, the new sensation Hulu added Robo (and it's sequels) to their list of movies. I had to watch it and it was actually really good.

First and foremost that sticks out of my mind was the action. I like seeing things blow up and this had some of the best. They fill the movie with some of those trademark "Oh *****! It's RoboCop!" moments. The special effects weren't to be outdone though. The stop motion for ED-209 was a bit tricky sometimes, ad when the baddy finally meets his ends it looked kind of bad, but for it's time I can't see much better.

But it wasn't all action, the script is actually good. It actually was very serious and had themes. One of those themes was respecting seniority, which I think the idea is stupid, who cares how long you've been there, if you're good you're good, if you're bad you're bad, I don't care how long you've been working at the job. One problem I had with the script is that none of the characters were all that likable. RoboCop is the only one I really cared if he lived or died, but their was really no suspense because he's near indestructible and gets knocked down like three times. I guess we're supposed to like Bob Morton but he just acted like a big A the whole time, and we don't get to see much of Anne Lewis. We hardly know her.

The acting was better than expected though. Kurtwood Smith plays an awesome baddie, I love how he just tosses his partners out to slow down the cops. Only looks out for numero uno, which is a great quality for a bad guy. Peter Weller has the perfect voice for a robot, but seems just human enough, and no one else should ever be RoboCop. I also loved the way Ronny Cox as the head villain always held his composure, making you think he just might get away, until the end.

I'm not sure what else to say, besides go see it.

MILK
+

So, I guess I should start with what you all are thinking, why is he doing another review on MILK? He already did one with the same rating, stop this madman! Well, I really wanted to change my write-up seeing as how I've now seen The Times of Harvey Milk (an act I STRONGLY endource), and I actually got to see it on the big screen, not the computer screen. It was better than before.

I saw this with my catholic cousin who is against gays (he was seeing this because it was part of a movie marathon) and played Pac-Man on his phone for two hours. I'm not like that, I don't care if you're gay really, as long as you don't hurt physically, financially, or emotionally it's okay. If you can find love in your own locker room, more power to ya. I figured I had to say that so you guys would know that I'm not immediately inclined to love it, and I'm not going to be the guy playing Pacman. And yes, I do know lots of gay people.

Alright so back to the movie. Sean Penn of course delivers an incredible performance. I'm seriously considering it better than Rourke's, but am unsure on who's going to win. James Franco's performance I wasn't 100% in love with, the way he always spoke soft, it sounded like he was just getting ready to go to sleep and/or high. I really didn't connect with it. Josh Brolin embodies the christian homophobes that we all know. Just the way he says things, I'm not sure how to describe it, it's just that it comes off so well. Emile Hirsch really surprised me in his role of Cleve Jones. I even nails the stereotypical gay walk, but can break the stereotype in every-way possible at the drop of a hat.

The script had it's ups and downs. One of the downs was the way it starts, it starts when he's forty in New York. I know that his early life was pretty ordinarily up until his Naval duties, but the uninformed (not saying as a bad thing) viewer will think you're cheating them out of 40 years beforehand. I also never cared for Milk's boyfriends. Jack Lira was just annoying and was glad that when Jack hung himself, we didn't get those stupid mourning scenes that I would just get bored during. Also the character of Scott was built up a little to much. However I do like that,from what I've seen from TOHM, Dustin Lance Black copied real dialogue from the specified occasion, making the biopic feel really real. Harvey's speeches get you fired up, even if you aren't gay. But overall, I don't think the script can win the Oscar, with a little more tuning it could of had a better shot.

Gus Van Sant doesn't need tuning, he's been at this since 1982. It shows, I really liked that he added actual stock footage from news channels from time to time. Even the iconic (for me anyway) shot of Dianne Feinstein announcing Harvey and Moscone's death was actually surprising to see him use it, but a good surprise. The editing was also fantastic. Elliot Graham is a fresh face that will be fun to see what direction his career goes in (this film seems to be chock full of them.)

The costumes were also great. Drag queens dressed like drag queens do, and from what I've seen of stock footage gays dressed like they did during the era. It never really stood out, it just blended in, as costumes should.

I wasn't a fan of the score though. The only thing that I really remember about it was Opera, and I don't like Opera that much.

Overall, I really like this movie and I think it should win Best Picture tommorow night.

Good review, but everyone already knows Slumdog is going to take home 'Best Picture' tonight.

Maybe, but Slumdog was actually better seeing it the second time around. You going to the chat tonight?

Maybe, but Slumdog was actually better seeing it the second time around. You going to the chat tonight?
I'm not sure, I may; I have like no interest in the oscars this year (I'm not sure why), but I'll still try and participate. I definitely won't be participating like I did with the Golden Globes though.

THE READER

I'll admit it, I wasn't looking forward to the movie. I'm not sure how it got nominated best picture. I wish it didn't and the Wrestler, Doubt or any other of the movies I can name more deserving of this, but low and behold the Oscars just dropped the ball and I had to see this as part of the movie marathon. I can tell you that this movie just isn't good.

The acting is kind of the redeeming factor here. Kate Winslett does deliver an unbelievable performance as Hanna Schmitz. If she doesn't win the Oscar I'll be shocked, she perfectly nailed that German accent. David Kross does as well as he probably can for a newcomer and actually has the accent. Ralph Fiennes was the letdown of the cast. I can't remember his role, you could probably live without it, and Fiennes slips from good moments, to really bad moments.

The script also let me down. The first part was just reading, sex, and baths (yeah Kate Winslett's ta-tas!) Then the second part was just reading, she's a nazi, and holocaust. The story wasn't that complex, I couldn't give a rats as* if she can't read, and why she was so ashamed of it. But I did like that it kind of portrayed Hanna as a human, not just a nazi. But it just bored the hell out of me.

Steven Daldry's not to shabby though. He tells it in typical linear fashion, and most of his shots consist in one room for the first part. It's not much of an opportunity to be nominated for an Oscar, so why is it nominated? I can't honestly tell you.

Roger Deakins and Chris Menges, almost dropped the ball by not including some gracious shot of some of the beautiful landscapes Germany has to offer, and again, most of it takes place in one room. Why was this nominated and not Deakins' better work in Doubt? Not sure.

Overall, this movie is probably the least likely to win Best Picture, and thank God for that. It was just plain ol' boring.

THE UNTOUCHABLES
+

Okay, I'll admit it, before this viewing I had only seen one scene and a few iconic lines. That scene was the "baby carriage" scene, you know what I'm talking about, it was a little long but so freakin' awesome I had to watch the rest. The begging was pretty slow, but once the Untouchables form, this movie is great.

Kevin Costner gets a lot of guff, and I don't get why. Sure he made Dances with Wolves that basically stole the Best Picture Oscar from Goodfellas, and has been in loads of bad movies, but name one actor who hasn't been in some bad movies. Here he's just fine, he kind of forms an accent in the beginning but it quickly goes away. Sean Connery and Andy Garcia are just badasses and up any movie they're in just by their pure presence.

The scripts a bit predictable if you know the jist of the story. You know Capone's going down for tax evasion, it's just a matter of when and how they get him. But in reality any history movie is predictable. Most knew Harvey Milk was going to be shot by Dan White, Bonnie and Clyde die in a hail of bullets, and those 300 guys die. It doesn't make it bad, just a little less exciting.

The real problem I had with this movie was Capone. When I looked at Robert De Niro playing Al Capone, I was looking at ROBERT DE NIRO PLAYING AL CAPONE, I wasn't looking at just Capone. It was one gangster role that he shouldn't have gotten. Plus the script kind of makes him into a super villain. Killing his own men, holding up in his hideout, possibly stroking his beard. Capone's not a comic booky villain, he's a regular gangster.

The technical aspects were also good. The score was amazing, I actually closed my eyes in the beginning title and just listened. The costumes were also awesome. Plus they didn't have those old, shoot e m once they go through the door and fifty feet away shootouts. It's nice to see somewhat realistic things happen in a somewhat realistic movie.

Overall this is a major guy's movie, I felt way cooler after watching.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Nice review, Lennon. I enjoyed The Untouchables, and Costner is not a dirty word to me . Of course, the film's sheen fades slightly with time, but it's still watchable. I really thought that Connery was excellent, but I thought he was even better in The Last Crusade. Did you know that DePalma's baby carriage on the steps was an "homage" to Eisenstein's Odessa Steps sequence in Potemkin? (It's OK if you didn't; I'm tryin' to "learn" ya. )

This 1925 film is for anybody who thinks old movies, especially silent movies, suck. Check this out, and please tell me if you weren't into the entire scene. The Untouchables part starts at 5:34, but please watch the whole thing before it too. You won't be disappointed.

THE UNTOUCHABLES
+

Okay, I'll admit it, before this viewing I had only seen one scene and a few iconic lines. That scene was the "baby carriage" scene, you know what I'm talking about, it was a little long but so freakin' awesome I had to watch the rest. The begging was pretty slow, but once the Untouchables form, this movie is great.

Kevin Costner gets a lot of guff, and I don't get why. Sure he made Dances with Wolves that basically stole the Best Picture Oscar from Goodfellas, and has been in loads of bad movies, but name one actor who hasn't been in some bad movies. Here he's just fine, he kind of forms an accent in the beginning but it quickly goes away. Sean Connery and Andy Garcia are just badasses and up any movie they're in just by their pure presence.

The scripts a bit predictable if you know the jist of the story. You know Capone's going down for tax evasion, it's just a matter of when and how they get him. But in reality any history movie is predictable. Most knew Harvey Milk was going to be shot by Dan White, Bonnie and Clyde die in a hail of bullets, and those 300 guys die. It doesn't make it bad, just a little less exciting.

The real problem I had with this movie was Capone. When I looked at Robert De Niro playing Al Capone, I was looking at ROBERT DE NIRO PLAYING AL CAPONE, I wasn't looking at just Capone. It was one gangster role that he shouldn't have gotten. Plus the script kind of makes him into a super villain. Killing his own men, holding up in his hideout, possibly stroking his beard. Capone's not a comic booky villain, he's a regular gangster.

The technical aspects were also good. The score was amazing, I actually closed my eyes in the beginning title and just listened. The costumes were also awesome. Plus they didn't have those old, shoot e m once they go through the door and fifty feet away shootouts. It's nice to see somewhat realistic things happen in a somewhat realistic movie.

Overall this is a major guy's movie, I felt way cooler after watching.

Good review Lennon; I think that's the same rating that I ended up giving it. I finally got the chance to see it for the first time last month, and I was pleasently surprised. I'm going to have to re-watch it sometime soon though.

DAWN OF THE DEAD (2004)

First I want you to check out my review on page 2, now I want you to question what kind of crack I was smoking back then. Every film I reviewed back then was like 5 popcorns. Yes this film is enjoyable, but no where near close to perfection.

I'll say that the worst kind of movie is a horror movie without scares, that's why I dislike some slasher movies. There's always that option of running away and possibly getting out and being safe. That being said, I think the scariest type of horror is zombies. First, it's death personified, pretty much one of my worst fears, you can't stop it, try as you might, it'll come. Second, they all used to be living breathing people, they used to live life just as we all do, I probably wouldn't have the heart to shoot them. Third, and probably the scariest is, it just can't be stopped. You can shoot as many as you can, as fast as you can, but there are about 6 billion people in the world, sooner or later one will catch you when you slip up, then you become one of them. There's no escape.

Yes, this is a remake, I've never bothered to see the original, so I won't compare, which even if I had, I think comparing originals and remakes is a stupid idea. A film should be graded on it's own merits, not how similar it is to another movie. I think this movie stands on it;s own merits just fine.

The effects were pretty eye-popping (see above.) They come early and often to, about 5 minutes in the zombie outbreak occurs, with little letting up, which is a good thing a bad thing. Good thing is that we get to see zombies, zombies feasting, zombies running, and even a zombie giving birth.

The bad thing is that this leaves little room for character development, like I said, 5 minutes in a women's husband becomes zombie food. I'd like to actually care if someone got eaten. We don't learn much about the people, we don't even know their freakin' last name! Ana, all we know is that she was married, husband becomes zombie food and is a nurse. Kenneth's a cop, Michael used to sell TVs and is divorced. Andre's a street thug that cares for his family. CJ's a security officer/******* who grows more humane towards the end. and Steve's just an *******. There, I summed up the main crew in about 5 sentences.

The acting doesn't help this much. Sarah Polley seems exhausted most of the time, which I can kind of get seeing as this would be an exhausting situation, but come on girl, I don't want the feeling that every time you talk you're going to pass out. Ving Rhames is just a badass. Jake Weber is a poor man's Tim Roth.Mekhi Phifer can't act, you can definitely tell that he's reading. Michael Kelly does turn in a strong performance. Ty Burrell comes off as a natural guy that I would hate, but I loved the performance.

The editing is great, most notably in the montages. The beginning one is the best, set to 'When the Man Comes Around' by Johnny Cash (play HERE. You get the full feeling of anarchy around the country in about 2 minutes so you don't feel like this is just happening in Milwaukee. The end also plays off brilliantly, I loved combining Steve's old camera footage and Terry filming, almost reminding us of how life used to be, and how things will never be the same.

Zach Snyder does get a lot of guff, for his slow motion (thank god, none of that.) And I'll admit some of it's pretty clunky, even if he does come up with some great ideas. I especially loved the dead birth, and the escape is very exciting even if he does horrible filming it. Throughout the whole thing I was unsure of who was in what car. I do think that with a little more experience (DOTD is his 1st theatrical movie) he can be a really good blockbuster director.

All in all DOTD is an enjoyable Saturday night movie. Not a surefire Oscar winner, but I liked it and think you will too.

I guess I must be smoking crack because I did give Dawn Of The Dead the perfect score, because it's one of my all-time favorite movies; good review though.

So, let me take this time to tell you that I plan on watching all the films on Harry Lime's Top 100 List, or die trying. It seems like a great way to really get into film. I do intend to give each movie a full review, but for right now 1 down, 99 to go:

The Player (Altman, 1992)

I’m not sure how I can say this but, I’m sorry Harry. I just didn’t enjoy this movie. I know it’s #69 on your list, I know it’s high-rated on IMDb, but I just didn’t like it. I mean, yes some of the scenes were good, but overall it just didn’t hold my attention. Maybe it’s just one of those films that I didn’t get I’ll probably end up re-watching it years later, and who knows, I maybe wrong.

-

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Hmm, I really like that idea of watching all the films of someone else's top 100.

Someone make a thread already!!!!

Suspect's Reviews

Make a thread of what?

Whether you like the film or not Lennon, any movie you watch from my list and review here is going to receive a rep point from me (a positive one that is). All I ask is that you don't apologize for expressing your own opinion.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

THE WILD BUNCH (1969)

Have you ever had those movies people say are freakin' awesome, but when you see it it's less so? Yeah, this is what happened to this movie and pretty much any western ever. I just don't like westerns to much. I mean Good the Bad the Ugly's good, 3:10 to Yuma remake was pretty awesome, but that's where my western goodness ends. They don't just click for me, if I want a shootout; I prefer the more militaristic "NO MAN GETS LEFT BEHIND!" look.

The best part was the acting, defiantly. William Holden looks like a badass, but looks well enough that he could be more than an action star. Ernest Borgnine too, if he's not trying to be comedic. The rest of the cast do well, nothing stood out to much.

I liked the directing though. Sam Peckinpah did well, especially considering this was one of his first feature film directing jobs. His transitions into flashbacks, how you're into it, but not completely and how you can just as quickly go back to present time. I've got to say, Straw Dogs does look interesting, I'll have to check it out one of these days.

Straw Dogs was the movie Peckinpah wrote after TWB, and I've got to say, that's where the movie lost me. I mean some scenes were interesting (how they mess with what could be a huge player in Mexico) but a lot just seemed dead weight (partying in the first town they get to.) I mean I know this movie lost my attention more than once, but I don't think those scenes had anything really important (besides leading into other scenes.) And I just got bored, a lot throughout.

So, not much else to say, I was hoping to say more since I am kind of ragging on a supposed classic but, well, Holden Pike's probably coming at me for this one, but yeah. 2 down, 98 to go.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Hmm, I really like that idea of watching all the films of someone else's top 100.

Someone make a thread already!!!!

That actually sounds fun, somebody should make a thread where people are assigned to other people's lists and have to choose ten to watch and review and this has gotten complicated...but it sounds fun