The Prestige's Prestigious films to immerse you

→ in
Tools    

This is not an actual update just rectifying one film in the list. I recently rewatched Identity , and while I still really like it, I don't think it deserves to be in my Top 100. Instead the Walchowski's debut takes it's place and you can read about it here:

http://www.movieforums.com/community...t=16901&page=5

So now we are onto lucky number 13. Hope you all are still with me on this MoFo because it'll be at least 3 years before I conduct another list.

"we've all got it coming, kid"

13. Unforgiven (Clint Eastwood, 1992)

Anybody who has watched a Clint Eastwood film will almost certainly have seen Unforgiven. It's a pivotal moment in Eastwood's filmography and is widely seen as his 'love letter' to the westerns of the old.

The film deconstructs the western and it's mythos and, when you really think about it, was a very brave and risky project for Eastwood to take back then. After all this is an actor/director who became an icon by starring in such films, so to completely strip away the glamour and convey raw, uncomfortable truths is admirable in itself. And if those who are of an older generation and were a big fan of Clint Eastwood (like my grandfather was), chances are you guys didn't like Unforgiven the first time round. But the idea is to forget everything you know about the west and watch as Eastwood strips everything away, robbing us of our innocence.

Another brilliant thing that works really well in Unforgiven is Eastwood's faith in his spectator's intelligence. Y'see, William Munny was a bad gunslinger who did horrific crimes. At one point, he was considered to be the most feared outlaw in the west. Eastwood doesn't oblige in showing us unecessary flashbacks to emphases how evil Munny was - it's all in his face and dialogue. Say what you will about Eastwood as an actor, but I loved that he was able to convey a man who seems to only just come to terms with how violent he was in the past.

We know that Munny is reluctant to take the assassination job, but you just can't help but think that if he really wanted to honour his late wife he would find some other way of making money. You just know that there is still a monster laying dormant inside Munny in his pursuit of the killers, despite his excuses for 'justice' and 'money'. And that's the thing, you never truly believe there is a legit motive for Munny to 'get back in the game'. He still has a dark pas.t It's that exploration between his past and present that make him such an interesting protagonist. Only other western protagonist as interesting as him in recent memory is Tom Stall/Joey Cusack.

I can't stop without mentioning the supporting cast. Gene Hackman (please come back to acting ) is, in a word, phenomenal as the quietly snarling and strangely compelling Little Bill. Little Bill's lust for authority and ruthless aggression mentality is uncomfortably believable. I got the feeling that Little Bill had started out as a man who had a genuine intent to improve society and help the helpless. But somewhere along the way, much like Munny, he lost himself and turned into his opposite. Can't blame him really. We all turn into our opposites. It's about which side dominates, just like in Ryan Fleck and Anna Bodem suggested in Half Nelson.

Obviously the film is rich with many themes such as perception vs reality, redemption vs revenge, and my personal favourite, heroes vs man. This is Eastwood basically stated that there is no such thing as a 'hero'. Bold stuff for a man who will forever be perceived as one.

The first time I saw Unforgiven I went with my Father inlaw, he feel asleep

"He is just a human being"

12. The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford (Andrew Dominik, 2007)

I know, I know. Dodge title and everything. The title tells you the what, which may seem spoilerish at first glance. But it doesn't tell you the why or the how. Those are two questions that do not go unexplored in Andrew Dominik's epic, moving and beautiful modern western. It's a film that isn't exactly to everybody's taste. It's incredibly slow, poetic and meandering. Even Dominik admitted that his own film has no actual plot. But in the hands Dominik, none of that really matters because of the substantial amount of themes he manages to incorporate into the narrative, and with a strict undertones, too.

For most of the film's near 3 hour duration, this slow burning portrait of betrayal and self hatred plausibly unfolds as an ongoing struggle for prestige and celebrity, the latter of which most critics say Jesse James is actually all about. I think it's a theme, but I can't help but feel it runs a little deeper than that. I think it's more to do with the depiction of using fame as a means to gain a sense of power, respect and self-worth. Dominik so much concerned with a celebrity's rise to power as with one's abuse of it and the lengths of which they will go to gain it.

The joy in seeing this masterpiece of cinema multiple times is the growing appreciation of it's leisury pace. Like I said before, the film is very slow and doesn't bother with any short cuts and refuses to throw in the obligatory action scene to 'shock' it's audience. There is just the one tense actiony sequence in the beginning of the film, but that's it. Dominik is too stubborn and far too trusting to add such scenes for the sake of it (though the studio did bust their bollocks in trying to get him to make the film more 'audience friendly' before the film was released).

Dominik spent 2 years of his life getting the film made the way he wanted it to and all that tenacity paid off because in the end we have an arthouse film, devoid of pretentiousness yet rich with authorship and a filmmakers pride. This isn't a remake of 3:10 to Yuma (although I enjoyed that film too for entirely different reasons), but more a film about life and it's uncomfortable truths. We are watching real people here rather than stereotypes of male bravado. In that sense it's a western that's not unlike the one just behind it on my list. The characters in these films respond to believable situations rather than excitingly contrived set ups.

Roger Deakin's photography is, in a word (or two) spellbindingly gorgeous, recalling the elegant works of Mallick and Leone. This is a film that relishes in it's picturesque cinematography and super fixed poetic images. It's not just a case of cutting between shots. No shot feels random, and you get the sense that extrodanairy care went into storyboard key scenes.

ALL of the acting in Jesse James is abnormally exceptional. There is such a broad spectrem of talent and acting style at work here. I know a lot of people don't like Brad Pitt's acting and may feel that he may seem a little too glamorous for a role in what is pretty much an arthouse film, but HIS celebrity and the ease at which he is able to slip into passive aggressive mode makes him a good fit for the notorious Jesse James and his unpredictable side. The much praised Casey Affleck as Robert Ford deserved his Oscar nom in a portrayal that consists of him being scarily convincing in being weak, creepy, deceptive, lonely and just downright pathetic. It's a hell of a performance and one that's somewhat unexpected of the younger and less commercial looking Affleck. However, the performance that really got to me more than anybody elses was Sam Rockwell as the elder and more simple of the Ford brothers, a fascinating actor who shifts between states of unbearable tension and goofy statements, occasionally diving into remorse and self loathing. It's an incredibly underrated performance.

Like I said, this film is a matter of meticulousness and extroadanairy care. Dominik is fiercely determined to get every character and relationship right and to give them depth. And watching it for the first time can seem like a bit of a chore. But you are rewarded handsomely for it and I can almost guarantee that the more time people see this, the more they'll like it.

All in all, Dominik should be more than praised for making some tough choices and not taking any easy way out. All in all he did it HIS way. And his way ended up being the perfect way. Not sure about the ten word title though. That's a bitch to type.

The first time I saw Unforgiven I went with my Father inlaw, he feel asleep

Lol, well i'm guessing it he was expecting a western similar to the classic Eastwood ones back in the day. Has he not seen it properly seen it since?

Interesting review Prestige and I completely agree with you about Sam Rockwell's performance. I think he's a fantastic actor and, one of only a few, that raises my spirits when I see he's in a film.

I've only seen The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford once, but I was completely blown away by it and I thought that the cinematography, particularly in the 'action scene' you alluded to, was breathtaking. I raved about it to just about everyone I met in the weeks following.

Odd to see it at #12 though, as I was lead to believe that it'd be making an appearance higher on your list.

Good work as always and I'm looking forward to the next installment.

Cheers lads. It's always nice to get some encouragement so thanks Justin and Honeykid

Yeah Honeykid I was originally going to put this at number 8 on this list, but I always end up reviewing my list every few days and I really want it to be perfect and true to myself because i'm telling you guys now, I won't do anything like this for another 4-5 years. So it's important that I make this definitive and when I thought long and hard about it, Jesse James was not quite perfect enough to make my top 10. There are some truly outstanding films i've got lined up in that division, and i'm interested to see what you guys think of them. All I can tell you is that my list is definitive as far as i'm concerned and each film deserves it's spot.

I'm glad you loved the film as much as I did aswell. Like I said before, it's not to everybody's tastes so it's always good to see somebody rate that film because it so deserves it. Honeykid, when you going to do a list anyhow?

I wonder if we'll see The Dark Knight, Memento, and The Prestige in your top 10.

Well needless to say, you know your stuff.
Could I borrow your idea, with including snap shots, in my reviews as well?

Well it's not really my idea. There are a lot of other members who take snap shots and post them in their reviews or lists as well. If anything I got it from them. But yeah, go right ahead mate.

I wonder if we'll see The Dark Knight, Memento, and The Prestige in your top 10.

You'll just have to wait and see

Chappie doesn't like the real world
And watching it for the first time can seem like a bit of a chore. But you are rewarded handsomely for it and I can almost guarantee that the more time people see this, the more they'll like it.
I get really excited when people like this movie, because every single person I have recommended it to was really negative about it. I don't get it. Maybe I should lock them in a room and make them watch it again.

I thought it was fantastic from the first viewing.

Well, we won't see The Dark Knight in the top 10 because Pres said:

There are some truly outstanding films i've got lined up in that division... All I can tell you is that my list is definitive as far as i'm concerned and each film deserves it's spot.
So that's The Dark Knight ruled out then as, surely, it doesn't deserve a top 10 spot.

Honeykid, when you going to do a list anyhow
A definative list? Probably never and certainly no time in the foreseeable future. I have started knocking around the idea of posting something vague, along the lines of "Here's 100 of my favourite films" but I don't know if I could put them in any kind of order either.

Well, we won't see The Dark Knight in the top 10 because Pres said:

So that's The Dark Knight ruled out then as, surely, it doesn't deserve a top 10 spot.
The Dark Knight is definitely top 10 worthy, at least it is for me. I've seen it on a lot of other people's top 10 here, too. Anyways, I remember that he is a big Nolan fan.

The Dark Knight is definitely top 10 worthy, at least it is for me. I've seen it on a lot of other people's top 10 here, too. Anyways, I remember that he is a big Nolan fan.
Yeah, I know. I was kidding (well, about it not being on Pres' top 10 anyway) hence the

As for it being on other people's top 10's, that's no assurance of quality either. It means it's well liked, that's all.

*As it happens, TDK is a well made film. Not to my tastes and certainly overrated, but a good film nonetheless.*

A definative list? Probably never and certainly no time in the foreseeable future. I have started knocking around the idea of posting something vague, along the lines of "Here's 100 of my favourite films" but I don't know if I could put them in any kind of order either.
I must admit, putting together a list is a LOT more difficult than people realise. I thought it was going to be a piece of cake and that I was going to finish this list in TWO WEEKS max, but lord behold i'm still here doing it. You would have an easier time than I did if you to, say, make a list and do it in some sort of non chronological order. If I had done that, I would have been finished AGES ago. But I would really like to see what films would make your list, though. It's a shame you say you're not likely to do one anytime soon.