Movie Tab II

Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
Been feeling down lately, so tried watching a couple of very different comedies...

Harold and Maude (Ashby, 1971) -

I think I may end up knocking this one out of my Top 10, but it's still rather amusing and touching.

Team America: World Police (Parker, 2004) -

What can I say? I like these kind of movies.

Feeling like something a little darker tonight, though...

I love movies... I really do.

The Breakfast Club (John Hughes - 1985)

I blame this flick for just about all of my teenage angst and heart ache. I swear this flick was almost like a bible for teenagers growing up in the 80's. I have a little bit of all the characters wrapped up inside the crazy labyrinth inside my head and to be honest, that is a good thing. I too, hated my parents while growing up and I too also feared I was going to end up just like them. In many ways I have. Again, not really a bad thing. The thing is, I was too f***ing smart (stupid?) at the time to realize they were just doing the best they could with the same limited resources that I am experiencing today. I say bless them. How was I to know that in fact they actually did know more about the world I was rebelling against? I sure as hell wasn't going to give them or anyone for that matter enough of my time to find out if they were right or not. I was to busy marching to my own beat. And what a beat it was. I survived though and now you all have to read my ramblings from time to time.

Anyway, its a great flick that is probably not as culturally relevant today as it was during the 80's but it is a flick that many can watch and chalk up all the little quotes and skits that others have been ripping off for almost 25 years now (25? Really? Jesus.). And there is a good reason so many of the young actors that are in the film are still working today. The entire cast was quite good, especially Judd Nelson. "Eat. My. Shorts." Sound familiar? Yeah...

Abre Los Ojos - Open Your Eyes (Alejandro Amenábar - 1997)

If you can get into Vanilla Sky and you think its decent then I suggest you check out the original version made 4 years earliear that is a superior film. Props to Penelope Cruz for getting a gig in both flicks. Nice little payday I'm sure. Anywho, I loved every second of it and now I may not be able to watch the remake anymore. Oh well, so it goes.

Ms. 45 (Abel Ferrara - 1981)

Wow. That Abel Ferrara sure made some interesting flicks eh? This movie starts out innocently enough and then in about a span of 3 minutes there are two rapes that send a poor mute girl completely over the edge. After which she goes on a rampage and kills just about every man she comes into contact with! Good stuff I says...

Barbarella (Roger Vadim - 1968)

I was on a serious roll yesterday! This was an absolute trip! All kinds of 60's psychedelic music and backgrounds and there was also a movie in there somewhere. My god Jane Fonda was knockout back then. And... AND she was pretty much naked through a large portion of the movie. Which was nice.

Screamers: The Hunting (Sheldon Wilson - 2009)

Altogether, a not too bad follow up to the original Screamers that I really enjoy. I'm guessing there will be another straight to DVD follow up shortly judging from the ending of the film.

This is just a quick tab for some of the other stuff I've seen recently and couldn't be bothered to write up.

Starship Troopers 3: Marauder (Edward Neumeier 2008)
-
Much better than the dull second installment, this benefits from the re-introduction of Johnny Rico (Casper Van Dien) and a slightly bigger budget. It's still no great shakes though, with crappy looking CGI work, misfiring attempts at satire, and thoroughly unlikable performances from the supporting cast. A disappointing improvement.

Female Prisoner #701 Scorpion: Grudge Song (Yasuharu Hasebe 1973)

This is part four in the series (I reviewed parts one & three here and part two here ). Directorial duties on this one were handed from Ito to Hasebe and it shows badly. Much of the beautifully framed photography is absent, and the plot feels like a tacked on after thought considering things were wrapped up nicely at the end of Beast Stable. Kaji is still excellent to watch though, and the film does have it's moments, not least Scorpion's gallows encounter with a crooked cop. Good, but not great.

Death Ship
(Alvin Rakoff 1980)

Ugghh!!! by rights this should go in my 80's Trash thread but I'm damned if I'm wasting time writing it up properly. George Kennedy and Richard Crenna's luxury cruise ship (which looks like left overs from The Love Boat) sinks forcing them (and some other B-listers) to board a ghostly Nazi torture vessel. Cue an hour and a half of grimy uneventful boredom as they die one by one in remarkably un-gory ways. Oh and the boat collision sequence is pathetic; stick with The Poseidon Adventure (1972).

Dark Night of the Scarecrow
(Frank De Felitta 1981 TV)
+
This is a better than average TV movie with Charles Durning great as the leader of a lynch mob who gun down the local simpleton, Bubba (Larry Drake giving an excellent performance) when he's wrongly accused of murdering a young girl. Shortly after they meet with strange deaths at the hands of the creepy scarecrow Bubba was hiding in at the time of his death. This is predictable stuff, but De Felitta still manages to craft some genuinely hair raising scares, and there's a subtle atmosphere of foreboding throughout. Neat.

The Ghost Galleon (Amando De Ossorio 1974)
-
Third part in Ossorio's cult Blind Dead series (Part one reviewed here part two here ) and it's a complete wash out. A group of models on a seabound photo-shoot get lost in fog and end up boarding a spooky old galleon inhabited by the Templars (who for some unexplained reason are all at sea in this one). What should be a laugh riot is just painfully slow with banal dialogue and a complete lack of gore. In it's favour the galleon sets are really atmospheric, but why did Ossorio include that ridiculous model boat?

Screamers aka L'Isola Degli Uomini Pesce (The Island of the Fishmen) (Sergio Martino 1979)

The American poster (above right) for this has to be the most misleading I've ever seen. Nobody is turned inside out and it's nothing to do with the Peter Weller Sci-Fi flick. It's actually a rather fun adventure film in the vein of The Island of Doctor Moreau (1977) and Warlords of Atlantis (1978). This has bond girl Barbara Bach and Richard Johnson from Zombi 2 (it was filmed right after on the same locations) as father and daughter on an island of genetically engineered fishmen controlled by a mysterious drug. Enter a group of shipwrecked convicts who expose a plot using the mutants to recover the lost treasure of Atlantis. This is good fun with amusing fish makeups (think Creature from the Black Lagoon meets Humanoids from the Deep) and some explicit gore spliced in by Roger Corman who purchased the film for the American market. Fun.

Cinema Paradiso : The Director's Cut

I thought most of this was brilliant , anyone and everyone who enjoys films will most likely fall in love with this one. Although I want to get my hands on the original 2 hour cut , this three hour one tends to really drag on during the third act.

Hopefully all the best parts will still be in the 2 hour cut.

The Shawshank Redemption

Pretty enjoyable prison flick that reaches far beyond the realm of prison life and into every life. Top notch acting , but some of the writing / characters did seem flimsy at times (warden was pretty cartoony).

Spirited Away

Very enjoyable animated film with a huge imagination.

The Warden in Shawshank being "cartoony"? I'm not seeing it. :/

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Well he supposedly is a strict Christian who has no actual moral standards at all. Either Shawshank Redemption has an anti-christian agenda or the character himself is laughable.

He's just super-villain evil , he has no humanizing traits.

I would think that evil is very human.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Hey meaty, let me ask you this. Do you believe the "Christians" on TV who make a show of prayer, "heal" people constantly and ask you to support them financially have an anti-Christian agenda?

Monsters vs. Aliens (Rob Letterman & Conrad Vernon, 2009)

You may well wonder why I saw this on its opening weekend at the theatre. There's a very innocent answer. Today my younger brother's oldest daughter Gwendolyn celebrated her 10th birthday, and the party was held at the movie theatre before the screening of this flick. There were about a dozen other 10-year-olds there and a small group of adults. Anyway, when we showed up at the box office, the ticket seller went ahead and gave us tickets for the 3-D screening at 4:30, but the rest of the party had tickets for the non-3-D screening at 5, and since part of the party included a tour of the projection booth, there was no way to get to the 3-D show, so we saw it in 2-D. Although the trailer looked cute, I would have waited for the DVD to check this out, but I thought it was a fun day at the movies(yes, even for a 50+ Disney Dork... )

There's no need to go into the plot of the film, but part of the fun is mentioning all the film references you can make. Since this is a Dreamworks Film, Spielberg references take priority, but there are some cute homages to older sci-fi films in the way the various monsters came to be, as well as some visual recreations of specific scenes from specific movies, although all of this is done in passing. You'll either get it or you won't, but the movie flies by so quickly that you'll still enjoy it anyway. Monsters vs. Aliens is a step down from Kung Fu Panda, but that was the best Dreamworks animated film ever, so this one is still worth watching. I could imagine lots of the 3-D effects watching this one, but it's certainly fine in 2-D. Just don't look for anything original or too deep, although "critics" who claim that it's completely empty of humanity are undoubtedly on the running on empty humanity scale, at least if you ask me. This is a kid's movie, but there are plenty of scenes of violence and scares plus quite a bit of sexual innuendo. I only heard two babies cry during the movie, and both were rushed out of the theatre (although come to think of it, it might have been the same baby twice).

I'm actually biting my tongue to keep myself from giving away some of the references/in-jokes, but I feel the need to mention one. I'll admit that this isn't the largest image around, but does this guy remind anybody of Gen. Buck Turgidson (George C. Scott) from Dr. Strangelove?

Hey meaty, let me ask you this. Do you believe the "Christians" on TV who make a show of prayer, "heal" people constantly and ask you to support them financially have an anti-Christian agenda?
Possibly , they are making a mockery of the religion. As interesting as the subject is , I would much rather watch There Will Be Blood which has a large focus on false prophets and religious actors - rather than just cramming it in there as a small twist as seen in Shawshank Redemption.

(and I do think one could easily assume There Will Be Blood as an anti-christian agenda , but I could care less in this case as it's done in proper context)

I am half agony, half hope.
Bottle Shock
Randall Miller 2008

A smart little movie about the French/California wine competition in 1976. Based on Jim Barrett's Chateau Montelena and other Napa vintners who went up against the uppity French wines of the day and had some sweet victories.

Alan Rickman plays Steven Spurrier, a Brit living in France, who owns the academy of wine and gets no business except for an American (humorously played by Dennis Farina) who comes in to drink his wine. He decides to try California wines to see how they stand up to legendary French wines, and gets an education when he visits Napa. Expecting swill, he is surprised to find very good wine and decides to hold a blind tasting with the best tasters in France.

Bill Pullman plays Jim Barrett, the man that owns the Chateau Montelena and is trying to make the perfect chardonnay. His son, Bo, played by Chris Pine is a hippie that abuses the benefits of living and working for his father.

The story revolves around the father son dynamic, and the struggle for California winemakers to get noticed. A fun film with a few side stories intertwined into it. I love an underdog story, and this didn't disappoint.

Johann von Goethe

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Giant

Love it. Classic in every sense of the word. 53 years old and still completely relatable and with that cinemagic that can only be found in this kind of classic hollywood film, it's pretty much impossible to not like.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest

Really a great movie, but a little disappointing. Not in the movie itself but... i don't know, I feel like it just didn't click with me like it does with most people. I didn't find myslef all that attached to the characters, and watched the end more thinking "oh, that's sad," instead of actually feeling sad know what I mean? Undeniably fantastic script, acting, and directing, and I especially loved the Chief and the absolutely amazing character of Nurse Ratchet. Maybe a rewatch is in order.

The Red Violin

Interesting little movie. Seeing Samuel L Jackson getting his sophistication on kind of freaked me out, but I recovered fairly quickly and got surprisingly wrapped up in each of the 5 different stories behind the violin. I liked having the assortment of locations and time periods, but sometimes it felt more like a collection of small films instead of a cohesive work. I don't know, maybe they were kind of going for that though. There's also a nice little twisted twist at the end that, for me, was just unique enough to push the movie from meh to worth watching.

Ordinary People

I hate this movie. I can't believe they dignified this overdramatic, insincere piece of garbage with awards. Judd Hirsch was the only thing that kept me from killing myself.

Watchmen

Visually fantastic, and a decent representation of the graphic novel. It loses points for moments of corniness that just can't go overlooked.

Annie Hall

My favorite movie of the bunch. I didn't really know what to expect from this. I discovered it to be one of the funniest, wittiest, quirkiest, and most honest movie I've seen in a long time. Definitely added to my list of faves.

The Ruins

My kind of movie. I think I'd actually buy this, i've seen it like five times now and would still totally be ok with seeing it again. Anyway, it's an original horror movie(or at least not a torture movie, which makes it unique to pretty much every mainstream horror movie since the success of Saw) with legit actors and good directing. I read the book first and I loved that there's like a little inside joke for fans of the book. In the book, there's this conversation about what order they would die in if this were a movie and, although in the book they got it completely wrong, they used that order in the movie and it made me really happy.

Hello Salem, my name's Winifred. What's yours

Annie Hall

My favorite movie of the bunch. I didn't really know what to expect from this. I discovered it to be one of the funniest, wittiest, quirkiest, and most honest movie I've seen in a long time. Definitely added to my list of faves.

i really like annie hall but i found it to be the kind of film where its really funny but you wont laugh once

Elmer Gantry rates with Jaws? At least I see that as consistent. Plus, it makes it better than the Tennessee Williams adaptations. Thanks for watching because otherwise you'd have no reason.

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
i really like annie hall but i found it to be the kind of film where its really funny but you wont laugh once
Really? I for sure laughed out loud. A lot. When he has to be driven home by suicidal Christopher Walken I almost died!

Really? I for sure laughed out loud. A lot. When he has to be driven home by suicidal Christopher Walken I almost died!
One of my favourite scenes in that film.

NOT ACTUALLY BANNED
The King of Kong: A Fistful of Quarters: A+
The Ice Storm: A+
George Wallace: B+
Mother and Son: A+
The Sting: A+

I've had a great week or so of movie viewing.