Suspect's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
During a Bond film, wow. Now that says something about the film.

Suspect's Reviews

All the action seemed the same old same old and I was very tired

Gran Torino (Clint Eastwood)

"I Wish I Could Look Bad-Ass Pointing My Finger Like A Gun"

Walt is a retired war veteran who's racist remarks he speaks aloud in every sentence, no matter who he is talking to. After he discovers his new neighbour trying to steal his vintage 1972 Gran Torino, the boy becomes in debt to Walt. Walt ends up getting him to do chorus around the neighbourhood to make up for it. They become closer and Walt's racism towards the family disappears. But the street gang that is causing problems for the kid is up to no good and Walt takes matters into his own hands.

For some reason, I have seen Eastwood's last 5 films in theatres. This surprises me because I've never been a big fan of him, having never seen the Dirty Harry films, or The Man With No Name trilogy. In fact, Mystic River was the first film I've seen that had Eastwood's name stamped on it. Sad I know, but true. Now with Gran Torino being labelled his last acting gig, I feel like I've missed out. I've been told by people that this flick is basically if Ditry Harry retired and I've seen enough of that character in pop culture to say that I cannot argue with this point.

Gran Torino is the second Eastwood film to come out in 2008, it played in limited theatres here then eventually got a wider release in 2009. I can't tell you which one is better, they are both too different to make an honest decision, but many will enjoy Gran Torino better. For one thing, the final act does not drag itself on too long and it has Eastwood being a bad ass mofo.

The young kid, in his first acting role, is pretty bad in my opinion. I've had an argument over this with my friend, he thinks he did a good job. I know it;s his first acting role, but every line he delivers is too forced and it seems like he's trying to remember every single line. It gets annoying after awhile and one particular scene that is suppose to be dramatic comes off a bit too comedic. The older sister though does a good job, this is also her first acting gig. The young priest I'm still on the fence about, he did a decent job, but something about him and his performance just rubbed me the wrong way. I never truly believed him.

If this is Eastwood's final film he's acting in, then he goes out on a high note. He plays Walt extremely well as a war vet who seems to hate everyone except his dog. He even throws out his own kid of his house on his birthday. He eventually finds out that he has more in common with his Asian neighbours then his own family. Sure the plot line involving him becoming friends with these people is cliched, but Eastwood pulls it off and the transition from bigot to friend between him and the family is real.

The film has a few comedic parts, a favourite of mine is when Eastwood is trying to teach the kid to act like more of a man, so he brings him into a barber shop and tells him to listen to how he talks to the barber. What follows is hilarious and racist. Walt spits racist slurs every chance he gets, both when being mean and friendly.

The final act has an emotional punch that felt like a bit of a jab, instead of the knockout it intended to be. I wanted to be able to have more of an emotional connection to the film, but it just was not there. I don't know how else they could have ended it though, without it becoming cheap and 'hollywood'. The film ends with Eastwood singing the title song, I'm sorry but I giggled at this part. The ending was suppose to be something emotional and Eastwood's singing chops had me almost laughing. This unintentional humour took away from that emotion.

So, while both Changeling and Gran Torino are good flicks, people will like this one more. It's not as melodramatic or disturbing, it fits the mold. All of his films seem to be depressing and I for one would like to see him break that streak. I can't come to give it a better rating though, because it isn't above and beyond.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I agree with you, but I'm like your friend. I didn't have any problem with the kid's acting... at all. I teach lots of kids like him on a daily basis and he was real as far as I'm concerned, especially considering that he isn't totally happy in his situation at times. I also don't think the film was going for a "knockout" punch at the end. I hope you stayed to listen to the rest of the song and watch those visuals after the Gran Torino goes touring and Clint's golden pipes end and two other singers take over the singing. That part made me really "get" the film. I mean, I think it's got a tight script so it's not like you can mess it up, but those haunting lyrics while I'm watching the path the Gran Torino will be taking, hopefully for a long time, gets to me. Hey, Eastwood is 50% older than I am, but I'm obviously an Old Fart, or at least one who can appreciate old-fashioned filmmaking skill and storytelling.

I did in fact watch the credits, I always do. I think the people at the theatre hate me because I always stay and they just stand there waiting for me to leave.

I didn't not like the kid though, he is tolerable I'd say. But a lot of his dialogue and the way he delivered it was bothersome to me.

The Wrestler (Darren Aronofsky)

"You Will Cheer For The Wrestler"

An aging and broken down wrestler tries to live a normal life outside the ring, but when things get even worse in his life, he turns to the one thing that kept him going and made him feel loved, wrestling.

Mickey Rourke's performance as Randy "The Ram" Robinson is honest, heart-breaking and real. Probably the most real performances I've seen this year and one of my personal favourites. True, the story of this character mirrors the life of the actor himself and it's obvious that he brought that with him, but it's hard to watch this film and not cheer for him, feel sorry for him and want everything to work out in the end for him.

This is the 4th film from Darren Aronofsky and it goes back to his more independent roots, like his first feature Pi. Not saying his other two features who big Hollywood productions, but anyway. The Wrestler is shot in a gritty, low budget documentary style that suits the film to a tee. This isn't high production value WWE wrestler. This is the independent, small ring, small crowds, real pain wrestling and the way they shot it reflects just that. This character study wouldn't have had the same impact if it looked clean and pristine. It would have felt fake.

The two, often misjudged, professions in this film are wrestling and stripping. People often throw wrestling aside claiming it to be fake. The film makes to effort to take one side or the other, it just tells it like it is. Yes, these guys know how it is going to go down and who is going to win, they have the moves mapped out before the match begins, but it's really their bodies being thrown to the floor, it's really their heads being smashed with a chair. As we see in the movie, the blood is sometimes self-inflicted, for the show and entertainment. Yet, it is still their blood that is being drawn.

The second is stripping, which is where Marisa Tomei enters the film. The one character who Randy is able to have a relationship with, even if it is a short lived lap dance and he has to pay for it. Here is a guy that can't pay to keep his trailer open for him, but is willing to spend 60 bucks on a lap dance. Is it because he is horny, or he is in need for some kind of human contact, somebody to talk to. Well, it turns out he actually likes the broad, but guess what, she doesn't date customers. Ouch, another hit in the face for Randy in the real world.

After Randy has a heart attack he is told he can't wrestle and Cassidy/Pam (stage name and real name) tells him to go see his daughter. The only problem is they haven't spoken in years. He hasn't been a father to her, he doesn't know what music she likes, what type of person she is, or even her birth date. He tries his best to re-connect with her and pours his heart out. I wanted this relationship to work more then the one with the stripper, this one felt more real. I can't say too much about Evan Rachel Wood, she plays the clichéd teen angst daughter. We've seen her do this before with the film Thirteen.

As good as Rourke is in the film, there was not one scene that particularly jumped out at me as amazing. I was waiting for a scene in which he would knock me out of my seat, yet that never happened. It could be because he's really good throughout the entire thing and that the entire film is his one scene that will knock you out. The film is not to be outdone by Rourke's performance either. I was never bored, and always connected.

The soundtrack ain't to shabby either.

Slumdog Millionaire (Danny Boyle)

"Silly Mistakes Took Me Out Of The Experience"

Slumdog Millionaire is a love story, about the troubles one young man goes through in order to be with the woman he loves. Jamal is a contestant on the game show Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, and is interrogated after answering all the correct answers, he explains how he knew those answers and we are taken on a ride through his life and through India.

This film is marvelous to watch, from the opening shots of India and the hyper kinetic chase through the slums, I was immediately captured by the beauty this film offers its viewer. Both beautiful and depressing, violent and peaceful, dangerous and safe. Slumdog rises to be one of the better films of 2008 and was so close to being a top contender, but faults with the film are technical and it immediately took me out of that zone of beauty and made me realize I was watching a movie.

I'll get to that later, but first, let me tell you how good the film is. It's really good. The vibrant colours hit you and never leave, you actually feel like you are in another world. The sound design is immense and astounding, great attention to detail that is backed with a joyful soundtrack.

The cast is wonderful, Freida Pinto is beautiful beyond words, playing the love interests of the main character in the present time. Each character (Jamal, his brother Salim and Litika) are portrayed at different stages in their lives, by different actors. I enjoyed the really young child actors the most, their innocence and voice worked so well. Dev Petal plays Jamal on the show and despite being new to the acting craft, feels comfortable in the role. One would not know that the kid is actually British.

The film is an all around feel good flick, you will cheer for the kids and their adventures. I will admit, when I first heard about it and saw a trailer I was not really interested, the India background turned me off. I didn't think it was going to be an endearing and thought provoking film. First mistake ladies and gentlemen is going into a flick with preconceived notions. Of course after hearing all the praise I decided to give it a go. I'm glad I did.

Now on to my own little personal rant as I said earlier. I was taken out of the movie experiences a couple times and it ultimately ruined bits for me. One would be after the show is turned on the television and Jamal is being questioned we see a boom mic over his head. Bobbing away up in the air, the second is when we see Latika for the first time after she was captured. The continuity with her piercings in her nose were totally off. Normally the continuity thing wouldn't bother me if it weren't so apparent, but the boom mic really did take me out of it. Or what about the fact that these kids speak English when they are older. Where the hell did they learn that?

That said, the film does have some minor flaws, it's not perfect in anyway. I wanted a bit more from Latika, she was under used. The millionaire questions were incredibly easy, I could be a millionaire right now. you'll enjoy the flashbacks more then the present, but I'm assuming you're suppose to. All in all, Slumdog is a good film.

Watchmen (Zack Snyder)

"Is It Worth The Wait?"

It's always hard to review films that are based on previous works, such as books, or in this case a graphic novel. The problem is that people want to always bring the most popular books to life on the big screen and it ultimately disappoints a lot of people because it's from a different vision then their own. This is why movies based on books not a lot of people have read are always good and ones that are based on big popular ones are mostly bad. Of course there are the few exceptions.

I think it goes without saying that the film would never be as good as the book. It's a statement that is so obvious that I'm surprised I'm even stating it here. In reviewing a film based of said literature, one should make the distinction of not really comparing the two. It's simply not fair. Comparisons will rise, no doubt, but the two mediums are vastly different. With books, you can go anywhere, do anything, nothing is limited. Film on the other hand, has so many limitations that it feels like it should be viewed in a category on it's own. You can only do so much with an actual camera, but with your imagination the limitations are endless. This is why I'll be reviewing the film and try not to compare it to the Graphic Novel.

So, where to begin? It's taken decades for this unfilmable epic to make it to the big screen, so a pat on the back to Synder and the crew for finally making it happen. He has done with other directors couldn't. Granted, we now have the technology to bring these things to life, something we did not have way back then. Even so, Snyder has proven himself to be a competent director, his last two films have been both financially and critically successful. Did he do a good job bringing Watchmen to the screen. I guess as good as it could of possibly been.

The film is a pretty accurate depiction of the novel, the changes that were made I had no opposition to. Things were obviously left out, some things I knew would be gone, some things I hoped would make it in. The film clocks in at 2 hours and 45 minutes, so it may seem like it will drag in places and near the end it does. Whenever Dr. Manhattan was on the screen, I was so happy. He was a marvel in the book and here as well. Every time he was on the screen I was glued to it, could not look away. Although, when on Mars when he is discussing he feelings with humanity, I found myself slightly bored. Which is a shame because it is a pivotal moment in the film. Billy Crudup plays a character devoid of any emotion. He pulls it off. I enjoyed his performance. During the trailer I was upset with his voice, but during the film I did not mind it. I loved his eyes and every little turn of his head.

Malin Akerman on the other hand has gotten a lot of flack for her performance and I say it was because the character isn't even likable. I found her annoying and whiny, here she just seems boring. No connection to Manhattan, but more importantly Dan. I just did not really buy their relationship on screen. She does look beautiful in (and out) of that suit though and can kick some ass. Speaking of Dan, Night Owl is two characters. A kickass superhero and an overweight man who needs his glasses to see. Wilson captured both pretty well. His nervousness is there and I thought he brought that character to life. The one casting spot the fans seemed to hate the most, I enjoyed quite a bit. Matthew Goode did a decent job here, much to my surprise, even though I expected him to not be as bad as people were saying.

Both Jackie Earle Haley and Jeffrey Dean Morgan play the psychopaths in this flick. Morgan shows his stuff in the characters flashbacks, aging from a young arrogant bastard, to an old crying slob. After his introduction and flashback scenes he has nothing else to do with the film and I wanted to see more of his sorry ass. Haley was the highlight of the film for me. What a badass character he gets to play, with the mask on and off. He pulled it off extremely well.

Why oh why did the make-up department fail so badly though? Looking at Silk Spectre in her old age was horrible. She looks like she had play dough rubbed on her face, Nixon too. Even The Comedian to an extent, whose fight sequence went on a tad too long. Punching through walls, really?

The soundtrack was spot on, maybe too spot on for some, but I dug it. The film's highlight, other than Dr. Manhattan's origins telling, is the fantastic montage opening credits to the tune of Bob Dylan. I loved it. Couldn't get enough of it. It immediately sets you in this alternate universe and you know the history. Pick up the soundtrack, I know I will.

The film looks beautiful, no question . Sin City had it's own atmosphere, as did 300 and now Watchmen. I just didn't sit there and see this world they were living in, I felt a part of it. I loved the blue of Manhattan glowing everywhere, I loved the neon signs and the gritty streets.

Some parts did have the Zack Snyder stamp all over them, most notably the prison scene in which Night Owl and Spectre II fight off some prisoners down the corridor. Just seemed like 300 all over again to me. I did enjoy Rorschach kicking ass though. His pacing was a bit off as well, in the Graphic Novel I felt that they left out Adiran a lot, which is exactly what the film does as well, much to my dismay. His choice to have the characters seem more super than human was also a bit weird. This was most noticeable in the climax when characters are bouncing off solid objects and nothing really seems to happen to them.

A lot of the core themes and elements were sort of lost to me in the translation. Viewers will get lost in the gorgeousness of it and might miss the smaller parts that really make Watchmen what it is. These characters are not super at all, they all have problems. I feel that many people will miss this, the film kind of did. For instance, my friend who knew nothing about the graphic novel (he gave the film a 6/10) asked me why the black kid and the old fat guy were hugging at the end before the explosion. Seeing them was nothing more then a wink and a nod to the people who read the novel, no one else knew who the hell they were. Give me more little things with the main characters. Rorschach is suppose to be the psychopath, yet he seems to be the only one with a level head on his shoulders most of the time.

In the end, the film is a good adaptation of the book. I enjoyed it on it's own merits and on the comparison
to the source material. So I guess they did something right with that one. I guess my small complaints are ones that fans seem to have, more needed with the core characters. I really wanted more on Kovacs back story. I wanted to see him make the mask dammit. At times it tries to be brilliant, like the novel, but it doesn't come off like that. I wanted the entire film to be brilliant, but ended up with an entertaining movie that I would love to watch over again and again.

Touche.

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
The one casting spot the fans seemed to hate the most, I enjoyed quite a bit. Matthew Goode did a decent job here, much to my surprise, even though
I agree he was so overly confident that i bought it because that's what i would have expected of Adrian.

I would love to watch over again and again.
i saw it for a second time and liked it twice as much. It could have been because i saw it in Imax this time and the theater was actually packed and people laughed when they were supposed to, the first time i saw it i was with a group of unappreciative teenage boys and barely anybody in the theater and a group of people walked off shouting "this movie's gay!" so that may have contributed to why the second viewing was so much better but i actually want to see it for a third time too and haven't gotten sick of it which is a really good sign

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
Yup i didn't realize just how much my experience was ruined by the people i went with until i saw it again without them but i'm guessing you're talking about obnoxious people in theaters and not necessarily your friends...even though they weren't my friends i barely knew them but yeah, there's a really long ranting from about 4:00am when i got home in the Watchmen thread (upcoming movies section) about how much i hated teenage boys because they couldn't get over the blue penis

Welcome to the human race...
I saw it in Imax and the two guys beside me almost ruined my whole experience.
Replace "two guys beside me" with "two five-year-old kids behind me" and you've summed up what was wrong with my IMAX viewing.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
they couldn't get over the blue penis
Wait there's a BLUE penis? Tee hee hee.

X-Men Origins: Wolverine (Gavin Hood)

"Much Better Than I Thought It Was Going To Be"

This is the origins story of the mutant known as Wolverine and how he was attached to the weapon x project.

When I first heard they were going to make this flick, I thought that the series was going to go into a nosedive. The third film in the X-men franchise lacked everything that made the first two films enjoyable. Now a spin-off? I wasn't having it and the fact that they seemed to ruin one of my favourite x-men characters in the trailers didn't seem to help either. Well, I can say this, the film is not that bad. It's actually decent and a step up from the horrid Last Stand. Although they do miss a few steps that really hurt the film as a whole.

First off Hugh Jackman was born to play this character, here he is given more room to dive deeper into the animal and he does a great job. Mixing both comedic and dramatic elements, there is nothing new here to the character, just more of the same. More of the same though is fun and kick ass. Liev Schreiber plays Victor Creed, aka Sabretooth. His look is different from the first time we see him and he actually has some speaking lines here. Excellent casting choice, Liev really lets go here and you can see the fun he is having with the character.

Now, onto the two things that are ruined, from a "fan" perspective. Deadpool and Gambit. Many fans knew going in that these two guys were both kick ass and that the film was not going to do them justice. Well, it's true. These two guys lacked the screen time and the badass personas that people have come to love. Ryan Reynold has 5 minutes of screen time, he does he usual jokey bits like in Blade Trinity, but here it fits for the character. We see one scene in which he uses his blades to deflect bullets, quite cool. Then he is gone for the rest of the film. Gambit shows up 3/4 of the way through and the guy playing him looks too pretty boyish to be Gambit. Like he came right off of One Tree Hill or something. His scenes lacked a lot of punch too and it seems that his character was only used to draw in fans. The character in the film could have been anybody else and it wouldn't effect the story, but they chose Gambit cause fans wanted to see him. You will be disappointed.

The final fight sequences is nice, I don't want to go into details cause that would give away certain plot points, specifically who the final fight scene is with and why he is fighting him. I have to raise another complaint though, as for the explanation for Wolverine's so called memory loss. They don't explain it very well in the film, they just say that this will make him not remember. Why? I don't know. Fighting fire with fire just doesn't make sense to me.

There are cameos from a lot of mutants, cyclops as a kid is one and another one at the end that fans will enjoy. I thought that they could have trimmed the running time down a bit, currently 1:46. Lose Charlie from Lost, cause his little scenes don't do too much for the film except egg on that run time. Also the subplot with his love interest, just doesn't work.

The action sequences are nice and enjoyable, sometimes they looked a bit hokey, but the version I saw was still in production. the opening credit sequences is neat and mirrors what Watchmen did. I think the fans will enjoy this one, if they can get pass the nitpicking of certain characters. It's leaps and bounds over the last film, but doesn't hold a candle to the second one. It's interesting to see if they are going to try and fit another one in between the events of this film and the first X-men, cause if we go by continuity sake here, somethings just don't fit.

Star Trek (J.J. Abrams)

"Holy Lens Flare Captain"

With the recent surge in reboots of franchises and remakes, J.J. Abrams goes into a little different direction, and uses time travel as a device to play in both worlds, that being the original series and the new reboot he has created. The result is a highly entertaining film with great special effects and good performances.

Going through a black hole and destroying a federation ship, Nero has altered the current time line and created an alternate universe. He's exacting revenge on other planets because his was destroyed. Can the crew of the U.S.S. Enterprise stop him in time? I never watched the original series with Shatner, and caught a few episodes of The Next Generation because my dad would watch them. The series seemed to be running out of gas in films, with every single film being about throwing the ships shield's up and pretending to be hit by missiles in space. I welcome this so called 're-boot' with open arms, the series needed it in my opinion. Abrams and co have created something special here and I'm interested in seeing where they take this series.

The casting choices work for me, I knew enough of the original characters to know this. For me, Urban as McCoy is the best casting decision. Quinto from Heroes fame fills the shoes of Spock, he looks the part and plays the part well. The guy looks evil every time you look at him. Pegg as Scotty is a given and newcomer Pine does the role justice and I'm glad he didn't try to impersonate Shatner here. Everyone works in their supporting roles and we are introduced to them by the numbers. I was a tad upset to only see Pegg introduced near the end of the film, but here's hoping we see more of him in future installments.

The special effects were stunning. I noticed they employed the same technique used in the short lived brilliant television show Firefly, which employed quick zooms and having objects and people out of focus for a brief second while in space. Although, I'm sure during the scenes in space, it would be silenced, such as the girl flying out of the ship in the opening and Kirk & Sulu descending on the drill. Yet in other scenes we would hear the explosions of the missiles and so on. Inconsistent, but not a huge problem.

The way the film is shot is beautiful, but I could do with a little less of the lens flare. I understand that it was intentional, but near the end of the film is became a little overbearing and distracting. Also Bana is underused in my opinion. I could have used a bit more with him and Kirk in the climax.

The film starts off with a bang and the adrenaline is there at the end as well. The film slows down in some parts, but this is needed to fill in the spots of the story. A story that is well written and with Abrams behind the camera, well directed. Abrams has finally made the jump from television to film. His first try was the mediocre Mission Impossible III. With Star Trek it seems this guy has no fear, taking on two films that belong in a franchise, kudos.

Trek is entertaining, funny and will draw in a new audience. I had a great time in the theatre and liked every minute of it. I can't wait to see the direction they take this new and exciting series. Thanks for not disappointing.

Terminator Salvation (McG)

"Sequel...Prequel....Reboot....Whatever"

The problem with this film is the same problem that the recent Wolverine film had, it just doesn't connect with the original material. Now, there could be many reasons for this, non of which the film acknowledges. In fact, the film doesn't seem to care about a lot of stuff other then blowing things up and making it look cool. This entry into the series is vastly different from the previous ones. This time around the story takes place in 'present time' I would say, since every film before that was about traveling back in time to save/kill whomever. So right off the bat the film feels like it doesn't belong.

Terminator Salvation is better then Rise of the Machines and weaker then the first two. There, I just told you something you probably already knew. Christian Bale is the 4th actor to portray John Conner (that's right 4th, look it up) and his performance consists of a lot of yelling and shooting. He doesn't have any scenes of emotional depth and the character loses that connectivity with the earlier films. He's a different John Connor, he's not the punk kid or the hiding from everything bum, he's finally becoming what his mother said he would be. Although, he is not the leader of the resistance yet, so this film is NOT the battles we've been preluded to in the original films, it's what happens before it. This film takes place in 2018, everything we've seen or been told came from 2029.

The rest of the cast, with the exception of the saving grace that is Sam Worthington, is pretty much useless. Common fades into the background and serves no purpose whatsoever, he could have been just another faceless soldier. Moon Bloodgood seems to have gotten all her scenes left on the cutting room floor. She has a romance with Worthington that comes out of nowhere because prior scenes were obviously deleted. This makes her actions seem unrealistic. Bryce Dallas Howard takes over the Claire Danes role and surprise surprise is giving nothing to do as well. Anton Yelchin surprised me as Kyle Reese, and seemed like a believable 'young' Biehn. The man who steals the show is Sam Worthington, who is actually given some emotions to play with. I found myself interested in his character and his scenes the most in this film.

McG has an eye for visuals, yet all his films lack substance. This is no different. Although I will say this is his best film, but when looking at his resume, that doesn't amount to much. Whatever substance this film has, it was given to by previous films. The script is basic go to point A to get plot point B. The only worthy addition to this story is the role of Marcus (Worthington) who actually brings a new dimension to this story, which in my opinion, we already know how it will turn out. I'm not totally sure on how this film stands on the whole timeline issue, but in my opinion, none of the key characters were ever at risk to me. Kyle Reese we know will go back in time, so he must live to do so. We know John Conner lives till 2029 to send Reese back in time, so we have no sense of danger in their scenes. Of course it could all be different and they could indeed die, I'm saying this based on the one line of him saying 'This is not the future my mother warned me about".

It will satisfy the action junkies, but leave those who want to see a continuance of the story empty. The barren wastelands are nice to see and gives them free roam for many neat things, such as car chases, motorcycle chases, air jet chases, etc. It had a bit more Mad Max then Terminator feel. You'll see a surprise cameo, which means only one thing when someone says that about this franchise, but when you see it you might laugh. We haven't perfected this yet and it looks fake and cheesy.

Terminator Salvation is a popcorn flick that takes the series in a new direction. No more time traveling to save people, now it's the fight to stay alive. This new direction might not sit well with some, but for those just looking to enjoy themselves for a solid action film, this delivers. The scenes are exciting and Worthington delivers what others should have. The ending is a bit ridiculous, but it's better then the rumoured ending with the skin swapping. On a final note, Connor mentions that he's never seen anything like Marcus before, a machine covered in human skin with organs. Yet, he HAS seen this before, maybe not the organs, but he acts like this is brand new to him. Just one plot hole in my mind, in a field of many.