Movie Tab II

Tools    

Re: PW

I'd even agree with your rating for Silver Bullet (Three For Three!). I thought it was pretty scary, but it also had just the right balance of dark comedy, and I really liked Reverend One-Eye.
And how about ole Everett McGill? He was on a nice little run from about 1980 to about halfway through the 90's wasn't he? I think I enjoyed just about every character I saw him play. Especially, Stilgar (Dune-1984), Major Powers (Heartbreak Ridge -1986) and "Dad" in The People Under the Stairs. Not to mention all of his work in the brilliant Twin Peaks show and subsequent film.

Twilight(2008)-no wonder only women like it

Waiting(2005)-extremely funny

Devils Advocate(1997)-Nice enjoyable Sunday evening movie

You mean plenty of T&A?
Indeed Plus I love listening to those religious crap about heaven and hell
Connie Nielsen in The Devil's Advocate =
Curly long haired redhead-she is like a wet dream
O come on every chick around here loves it.It's Robert this Robert that sh111t the guy is so pale in real life too plus he looks like a junky.Its a love story with vampires I might as well go watch Underworld is way better plus it has werewolves, Kate Beckinsale ooo and what was the other thing, aa Action.
Can't believe that it's going to be a Quadrilogy.

The Burrowers (J.T. Petty 2008)

I've just been telling Powdered Water about this in a PM and thought I might as well tab it quickly and spread the word as it were.

The Burrowers
is a straight to dvd low budget horror western that was originally written by Petty as a seven part TV series back in 2007. The story revolves around a search party looking for a missing family of homesteaders they believe were taken by Indians. Led by Clancy Brown's old hand John Clay, the group soon encounter a sadistic army commander Henry Victor (Doug Hutchinson from The Green Mile) and his troops also looking for missing persons. Though when Victor begins torturing an Indian prisoner for answers, and mysteriously loses men in the night, Clay's group decide to go their own way...

This film really impressed me with some truly beautiful photography reminiscent of Andrew Dominik's The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford. It plays primarily as a western building slowly with a sustained atmosphere of tension, and good performances all round (especially Brown and Hutchinson). The CGI creature effects are nicely restrained considering the overall tone of the film -- you only really see them in the final act -- which adds to the film's sense of mystery and suspense. The Burrowers never feels predictable though, as Petty introduces lots of clues regarding the nature of the beasts, and isn't afraid to kill off key characters keeping you guessing.

The whole thing kind of blends together ideas from The Searchers, C.H.U.D. and Tremors then wraps it up in this dreamy mood piece of a horror/western. Neat...sure to appeal to fans of both genres, perhaps my only criticism would be the slightly lethargic pace which might alienate some viewers.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I'm going to check it out, but I hope it's less-lethargic than Jesse James/Robert Ford. I donated 10 hours of my life to that one, and I still think I should have probably called it at three because it didn't really get any deeper, at least for me. It was beautiful and ballsy, but shallow.

I wasn't keen on Dominik's film either, it was a little too slow and meandering for my tastes. The Burrowers just has a similar visual style, and is only slow in the sense that the horror/monsters stuff doesn't kick in fully until the end of the movie. I think you'd probably rate it a high two and a half possibly a three Mark.

Welcome to the human race...

Escape From New York (Carpenter, 1981) -

Even though I know deep in my heart that objectively EFNY is far from being a five-star film, on a personal level I still like it a hell of a lot. I'm only all too aware of the goofs (especially the passage of time) and some of the more ridiculous acting, but it's still one of my favourites. I'll probably write up something more substantial some other time.

Signs -

Okay, I'm in a pickle right now. I honestly can't decide which I like better; this or Lady In The Water. Both are definitely amazing movies, but I think I still may like Lady In The Water just a tad bit better. M. Night Shymalan is like the greatest screenwriter that I've ever seen though; all of his movies are so original and amazingly well done. I feel that, as a director, he gets way too much crap than he deserves. It's pretty funny, because I've gotten like a bunch of people in my family really into him. My mom, some of my cousins, and now I'm currently getting my aunt into him. Since she's down for the week I'm going to continue watching M. Night Shymalan's movies, which may cause me to watch Lady In The Water again so soon, but I have no problem with that. Eveything about this was perfect though, I actually don't think I have a single gripe about this. Which is a clear sign that it should be put in my top 10, to me at least. Because very rarely do I have no gripes with a movie, I even have some gripes with Batman Begins (which is currently at the last spot in my top 10).

James Newtown Howard is such an amazing composer; one of the things that really adds to the mystery of Signs is Newton's score. The score that plays during the 'revalations' scene is like one of the best pieces of music I've ever heard. I love how you suddenly see all the signs in that one scene, instead of a twist ending, like most of Shymalan's movies, it really just add all these amazing revalations. Joaquin Phoenix is just amazing as an actor; I really wanted to see him in some more things, too bad he's retiring from acting and switching to music. This is just a film that I think you have to see sometime, because this is like the ultimate love-it-or-hate-it movie to me, because most people seem to either love it or hate. Most of Shymalan's movies are like this those; actually I think it works better for The Village, Lady In The Water, or The Happening actually.

Mark already said what needed to be said, but I am going to through my two cents in anyway. Deliverance is not an action movie at it's heart, and what happened to Lewis was necessary so we can see what happens as Ed is forced into the role that was formerly Lewis's.

I personally wouldn't have wanted to see any more of the mountain men. I think they did just enough to further the main character's story. Any more would have been gratuitous.
I considered Deliverence to be more of a character study than an action film but thanks to the cover and no previous knowledge of the film i was expecting action and was pleasantly surprised. Although i too was offended at Burt Reynold's injuries i know it was necessary for the film like what Godoggo said above

And yeah everyday that passes by i dislike Australia more and more. And Nicole Kidman.
As I said in the first sentence of my mini-review post in this thread, Deliverance wasn't what I expected; I thought it actually was more of an action film, but that ended up not being the case at all. Thus my suprise and initial confusion/complaints upon my first viewing.

Now that I've "sat" on the movie for over a day and read others' opinions, I'm really starting to see Deliverance for what it really is rather than for what I thought it would actually be.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

Let's try to be broad-minded about this
O come on every chick around here loves it.It's Robert this Robert that sh111t the guy is so pale in real life too plus he looks like a junky.Its a love story with vampires I might as well go watch Underworld is way better plus it has werewolves, Kate Beckinsale ooo and what was the other thing, aa Action.
Can't believe that it's going to be a Quadrilogy.

Yeah Underworld is 10x better, i just happen to be a teenage girl who despises Twilight, i never even saw the movie but i read the book years ago before any of the sequels came out and it was like a fan fiction written by a thirteen year old with a thesaurus. That was my impression at least =\

In the Beginning...

Watchmen (Snyder, 2009)

I had some issues, but overall, I'd call it a win. Snyder and company understood most of what Watchmen is about, and really brought it to life in a way that honors the source material as well as it probably could have been honored.

For my full review, CLICK.

Harsh Times(2005)

This is a different role completely to anything I've seen Christian Bale do, hes character is rude, arrogant and fairly stupid. Its hard to take in at first but you get use to it pretty fast. Freddy Rodriguez is also hard to swallow as Bale's old buddy but again you do get use to it with time then the movie starts to take shape. Considering its written and directed by David Ayer its just more of the same of his, corruption, violence and drugs. In my opinion it lacks the same punch that Training Day took in its stride and doesn't really hit the mark. If your a true fan of Bale or you just like hard street films then you might enjoy this.

Yeah Underworld is 10x better, i just happen to be a teenage girl who despises Twilight, i never even saw the movie but i read the book years ago before any of the sequels came out and it was like a fan fiction written by a thirteen year old with a thesaurus. That was my impression at least =\

well I guess you have little more brains than the others,good for you

Welcome to the human race...

Postal (Boll, 2007) -

The fact that I liked this movie enough to rent and watch it a second time (mainly for the sake of my friend, who I thought would like it) has probably struck a serious blow to my credibility as a member of these forums, but whatever. Postal is about as guilty as my guilty pleasures get (even more so than Spy Kids 3-D or Escape From L.A.) and I'll admit that while it's still incredibly stupid, violent and tasteless, I still like it. Not really anything else I can say to change anyone's minds about it, seeing as at least 90% of the viewing public have made up their minds about not bothering with any of Uwe Boll's films (at least, not more than once anyway), but Postal is the only real exception - a blunt, tactless satire on modern America (or rather America under Bush) that's just like a live-action episode of South Park, complete with a moral at the end of the story that goes totally unheeded.

Just saw North by Northwest and wow, it's not terrible or anything but it's not good either, let alone great. Is this considered one of Hitchcock's best/a classic, and if so why? I just don't see it.

Then I watched Rear Window, a movie that is awesome.

A miss and a hit.