Movie Tab II

Tools    

I really do think Speed Racer runs out of gas well before its third act kicks into gear just like I think Bon Iver duped every faux hipster into thinking that he was the second coming of Christ last year.
Yeah, and The visitor is a good film...*rolls eyes*

Methinks you need to spark one up and re-watch Speed racer...*nods knowingly*

Mr. Brooks (2007)

Mr. Brooks is a fantastic portrayal of a madman’s mind. After watching the film, it has easily sealed a spot among my favorite films and on a par with the best of 2007. The film contains a somewhat bizarre storyline including a man with a bloodthirsty alter-ego, a vexatious witness to a murder, and a cop with problems of her own chasing down a serial killer infamously known as the "thumbprint killer."

Most of the film is extremely well-contrived. The “Hangman Killer” sub-plot is the most discernible thing that the film could do without. My favorite accessory to the film was the ashamed serial killer Mr. Brooks (played by Kevin Costner) talking to his alter-ego Marshall (played by William Hurt). Mr. Brooks is addicted to killing and is drastically trying to stop, though his darker side (Marshall) convinces him to keep doing it. The film leads you to believe that Mr. Brooks is trying to stop yet cannot help killing. Mr. Brooks, though a murderer, is the man in which the audience is set to believe is the “good guy.”

A man claiming his name is Mr. Smith (played by Dane Cook) witnesses Mr. Brooks commit a murder; a murder that Mr. Brooks had planned to be his last. Mr. Smith blackmails Mr. Brooks with photographs taken by him at the moment of the killing. Mr. Smith asks for an unusual favor from Brooks; to take him with him the next time he kills; to demonstrate a carefully crafted murder to him. Mr. Brooks, who recently planned never to murder again, is forced to murder once more with the blackmail that Mr. Smith has put forth.

The performances in the film are top-notch. Kevin Costner and William Hurt steal the show. The character of Mr. Smith was surprisingly well-acted by comedian Dane Cook. The film starts off in what looks like an apparent cop chasing a murderer plot, yet a good ways into the film originality overflows on the screen creating a genuinely engrossing, disturbing, bizarre, and splendidly frightening experience.

With the exception of the “Hangman Killer” sub-plot as I mentioned before, I rate Mr. Brooks as a perfect thriller superbly combining elements of Crime, Horror, Drama, and Mystery. Mr. Brooks is also undoubtedly one of the best serial killer pictures I’ve ever seen. I could go on and on about how much I've enjoyed this film. It comes highly, highly recommended from me.
+
What do you know--I flip through previous pages of this thread and come to find that someone else has recently seen this movie, too. I had forgotten about this post of yours (and it appears I already gave you rep for it ).

After recently watching Mr. Brooks myself (see Page 471 of this thread for my mini mini-review), agreed on all points, sir. The "Hangman" sub-plot was definitely the weakest of the myriad of sub-plots the film contained. Actually, it was probably the only weak sub-plot the film contained, but I found myself enjoying it nonetheless--the scene in the Hangman's van where he struggled with Demi Moore's character was pretty thrilling--I just didn't enjoy it on nearly the level as the rest of the movie.

One question: how'd you like/feel about the ending?

WARNING: "MR. BROOKS ENDING" spoilers below
I've read that some would have preferred it if the dream sequence (in which Mr. Brooks' daughter kills him) was left as reality and the last twenty or so seconds of the film were removed. However, I disagree. I look at the dream sequence as a foreshadowing of things to come; his daughter will kill him, but not like that. She'll kill him after she's gained more experience killing other people, and she'll do it "smartly." It forebodes a much darker future for both of them.

My Movie Review Thread | My Top 100

What do you know--I flip through previous pages of this thread and come to find that someone else has recently seen this movie, too. I had forgotten about this post of yours (and it appears I already gave you rep for it ).

After recently watching Mr. Brooks myself (see Page 471 of this thread for my mini mini-review), agreed on all points, sir. The "Hangman" sub-plot was definitely the weakest of the myriad of sub-plots the film contained. Actually, it was probably the only weak sub-plot the film contained, but I found myself enjoying it nonetheless--the scene in the Hangman's van where he struggled with Demi Moore's character was pretty thrilling--I just didn't enjoy it on nearly the level as the rest of the movie.

One question: how'd you like/feel about the ending?

I've read that some would have preferred it if the dream sequence (in which Mr. Brooks' daughter kills him) was left as reality and the last twenty or so seconds of the film were removed. However, I disagree. I look at the dream sequence as a foreshadowing of things to come; his daughter will kill him, but not like that. She'll kill him after she's gained more experience killing other people, and she'll do it "smartly." It forebodes a much darker future for both of them.
Thanks for the positive feedback.

I've commented on the ending of the film numerous times on different forums. I'll say that I did like the ending of Mr. Brooks. I cannot deny feeling a little relieved after he woke up, though I do think the better ending would have been to leave it in reality. I still appreciate the shock that the film made me feel at that particular moment, and I would have liked it better if the shock would have stayed with you after the film was over rather than taming it with the image of Mr. Brooks waking up implying that the event was only a dream. So, yeah I think the better route would be to cut the last few seconds out, though the ending that they did use was still decent and was not nearly as bad as to actually ruin the film for me like I hear others claim it did for them.

I didn't think the dream was a foreshadowing of things to come either. I thought the point was to show that Mr. Brooks went to sleep thinking everything was back to normal and woke up being afraid of his daughter; A nice touch.

The hangman killer sub-plot was there to show how tough Demi Moore's character was, though I think it would have been a major improvement if it was removed.

Still a great film
+, though if the things that I said should have been removed were removed I would give it

Friday the 13th (REMAKE)

OK, so saw this on the actual date for that added sense of novelty. Shame it didn't really add much except slighly busier theatre. Now as a series, ain't gonna make no bones about them all being derivative and repetitive flicks churned out on a franchise basis with little to none individual merit. That said, i do REALLY like Part 4 as slashers go but the New Line flicks were the best of the lot- Jason Goes to Hell adding a fresh revionist spin- much like the Elm Street franchise did with New Nightmare, followed by Jason X which if nothing else was some decent cheese. Freddy vs Jason bit of a wet dream even if it didn't consistently deliver. But anyway, the remake- i'm a little lost as to why it is in fact a remake for a series that ultimately offered the exact same scenario, slowly getting sillier until the awful Manhatten flick. This 'remake' adds in a quick recap of the first installment (where Jason's less iconic Mother was the killer) and i mean quick and then pretty much treads it's own path away from Summer Camps and counsellors. Sadly, i think it's where it comes off as it's own entry that it lets itself down as it adds nothing new or improved to the franchise, there's absolutely nothing inventive about the film save a couple of underwhelming kill scenes. It's a competent film, i'll give Nispel that however it gets to a point where it could be any film, there's no 'Friday the 13th' about it; the final scene feels far too similar too his Texas Chainsaw remake. I did like Jason being much faster on his feet but again, it detracts from the essence of the character for the sake of making him slightly more threatening. But when he spends a lot of the time lurking it seemed almost redundant. The only new thing they've added is Jason has some Boy Scout-come-MacGyver skills. Overall, it's not a bad film per se, it just fails to ignite or reinvent any aspect of a franchise that's mostly been bargain basket, just with a bit nice cinematography and no soul.

+

Welcome to the human race...

The Last Temptation of Christ (Scorsese, 1988) -

Often when I try to think of something substantial to write about any film I watch, the first question I think of is "Where do I start?" Sometimes, I'll even incorporate that into my write-up. I guess I should think of that as a compliment of sorts to the film in question, but I think I know where to start with The Last Temptation of Christ - with the very unusual choice to cast Willem Dafoe as Jesus. At once so fitting with the popular Christian imagery of Jesus (blond-haired, blue-eyed, bearded, etc) yet at the same time somewhat twisted by the fact that it's played by Dafoe, whose own particular brand of intensity seeps into the role and takes it in a strange direction - just the direction the film needs Jesus to go in. Because after all, The Last Temptation of Christ is a very different take on the Gospel stories, at once challenging many of the concepts and beliefs surrounding Christian myth whilst still maintaining a strong sense of faith in the subject matter. It's a delicate balance, yet in the hands of Scorsese and company that balance is evenly kept.

L.A. Confidential -

I had really like no idea what to even expect before watching this; I've wanted to see it for awhile now, but I really had like no idea what it was about. All I knew was that I keep hearing that it's such a great movie and it stars Kevin Spacey, Guy Pearce, and Russell Crowe. Maybe it's me having no expectations, but I really freaking loved this movie. Easily the best movie I've seen in awhile, excluding Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid. The first 10 or 15 minutes or so had me a little worried; I mean it wasn't bad or anything it was just good, but once the Night Owl murder took place the movie just takes off. This is really a 'whodoneit' kind of movie, I feel it took 'whodoneit' to a new level; really just because how many times it mislead you to someone else. My only wish is that Kevin Spacey could've had more screen time; I mean he still had a good amount of screen time, but I always just assumed that he was like the main actor of the movie, I really just always assumed that because I always saw his name first on the cover. Guy Pearce was really the main star of the movie.

All of the actors did a great job though, mainly Spacey, Pearce, and Crowe. You could already guess they did the best job, because they're the three main stars of the movie. Kim Basinger was really the only one of the cast, that had a good amount of screen time, that I didn't like. Many scenes just felt forced and fake with her, that's probably my only gripe with the movie. I do also want to point out that I really liked the score for this, nothing extrodinary or anything, but it was still a very good score. Nothing worth calling one of my all-time favorite scores or anything. The ending is like the best part though, because you basically find out everything you've been wanting to know the whole movie.

I don't know though, I really feel compelled to put this in my top 10, but something's stopping me. Maybe it's because I should rewatch it first, I can already tell that I like this more than The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly though (which is currently located at #10), maybe even Batman Begins. My opinion on the movie may be a little biased though, seeing as I just tend to love most cop movies because they intrique me a lot. Not all are amazing like this though, but I do feel that this one stands out more than any of the other cop movies that I've seen. Anyone that hasn't had a chance of seeing this yet should get to it sometime, because I doubt you'll be disappointed.

I agree with you there Movie Man, L.A. Confidential is a great film. Seeing as you didn't like Kim Bassinger's screen time, did you know she won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for that role?
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

I agree with you there Movie Man, L.A. Confidential is a great film. Seeing as you didn't like Kim Bassinger's screen time, did you know she won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for that role?
Oh wow, really? I didn't think she did really good at all.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
The Graduate (Mike Nichols, 1967)

Brilliantly-directed film concerning the misadventures of Benjamin Braddock (Dustin Hoffman), an upper-class college graduate who returns to his posh L.A. family home with little thought of what to do with his future. In fact, his first day home, his parents throw him a welcome-home party populated by all the parents' friends, but Benjamin feels like a fish out of water, although he fatefully decides to drive home Mrs. Robinson (Anne Bancroft), and thus the virginal Benjamin begins a sensual trip down the rabbit hole with the unhappy, alcoholic older woman. Things really come to a head when Benjamin realizes that he prefers the company of Mrs. Robinson's college-aged daughter Elaine (Katharine Ross), but Mommy will stop at nothing to keep the "kids" apart.

Although The Graduate is wonderfully-acted and is based on a sparklingly-witty script by Buck Henry and Calder Willingham, it's really Mike Nichols' fastidiously-entertaining direction, in conjunction with DP Robert Surtees and song score team Simon & Garfunkel which helps keep the film miles ahead of the competition to this very day. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the direction and cinematography of this film are among the finest ever seen in cinema history. Right from the opening shot of Benjamin arriving at and leaving LAX, he's framed in the corner of the image as an outsider, while "The Sound of Silence" plays over the credits. After Ben arrives home, most of the scenes are done in long takes with incredibly-beautiful-and-deeply-thematic photography utilized to draw you into Ben's "world of silence". He just doesn't relate to life back at home, and as each scene plays out in its own excitingly-creative style, even the casual viewer can see the importance of pre-planning the visual complexity of all the scenes for maximum emotional impact. To me, The Graduate is a comedy, first and foremost, a satire of the rich, complacent California lifestyle second, and a powerful human drama third. The script and Dustin Hoffman really make it pay off as a comedy, but it's the rest of the cast which adds to its satiric weight, not the least of whom is Murray Hamilton (Mayor Vaughn in Jaws) as Mr. Robinson. Let's not forget that other Jaws connection, Richard Dreyfuss! But weighing the whole thing to the Earth and making it much more poignant is the complex way that Nichols and Surtees shoot the film, and then the way that Nichols utilizes Sam O'Steen's editing, along with the songs, to assemble a film which far outdoes the French New Wave at their own game.

Mike Nichols blew my mind with his first film, Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?. Coming from a theatrical background, Nichols did show off his cinematic skill subtly in that film, but he reigned himself in to make what was ostensibly a play-shot-on-film (although it was far more intense than both most plays and most films). The Graduate could not be more highly-cinematic. The musical montage of Ben and Mrs. Robinson sharing their silent hotel bed, intercut with Ben at home in his own bedroom and floating in his swimming pool, still retains the pristine power which exemplifies why film lovers love film. It truly can do things which no other art form can do to both engage your senses and your soul. Well, music can too, but music helps push this film over the top in its cinematic grandeur.

Before I sound too much like a Mike Nichols sycophant (OOPS! Too late!), I'll admit that The Graduate cannot maintain its intensity all the way through the film. When it transfers to Berkeley in the second half, some of the air is let out of the balloon. Even so, compared to most films, this latter section of The Graduate is excellent, but some of the musical and editing repetiton becomes apparent. Luckily, The Graduate does contain one of the more intense final 15 minutes in film, involving a sequence where Benjamin drives back-and-forth, totalling over 1200 miles in less than 18 hours, to try to make things right with his true love, all the while dodging the cops and the Robinsons' attempts to marry off Elaine. It all climaxes in one of the better endings of all time.

The Two of Us (Claude Berri, 1967)

1967 was a seminal year in film, and more than a few MoFos have even mentioned it as somehow being significant (although I find that date completely arbitrary). However, who has seen this wonderfully-moving film from 1967, or even more directly, who has even heard of it? Claude Berri was almost nine-years-old when the things which this film delineates happened to him during WWII. Most people recognize Berri as the director of Jean de Florette/Manon of the Spring and the producer of Polanski's Tess, but this first feature film of his remains my favorite, and sometimes I have to wonder why I like it so much. Of course, Berri had to embroider his film a bit, and I realize now that it's the "embroidery" which I probably enjoy even more than the reality. Berri was a Jew living in Paris and going to school while his parents basically hid in a kind woman's attic. Well, Claude would constantly get into trouble and draw attention to himself by acting out, so his parents decided it would be better for all concerned to send him off to the country to keep him away from prying Nazi and Vichy eyes.

Claude goes to live with the kind woman's mom and dad ("Pepe") (the wonderfully-irascible Godfather of French actors, Michel Simon), and here he learns from the old man that many groups of individuals are bad for the country, including Jews. The boy also learns about unconditional love from the same source, so when the whip-smart Claude begins to question Pepe about his seemingly-racist views, he's able to win a few concessions from the old man, who has no idea the Kid is a Jew, even though Pepe assures everyone that he can "smell them out". This beautiful comedy-drama actually reminded me a bit of Gran Torino, at least thematically, but I'll concede that this film is surely more transcendent. The strength of this film lies in the details. You begin watching it, and you understand all the characters and their situations, but you aren't really sure what you think of them. Then, about halfway through the film, everything becomes almost magical, and the lovely score by George Delerue becomes more prominent, and you (I) basically spend the entire last 45 minutes laughing through something resembling tears of joy. I could be completely "off my rocker", but everyone has some films they love and almost feel a mystical affinity for, and The Two Of Us, literally translated as The Old Man and the Boy, is one of such films for me.

While Sarah and I watched The Two of Us Saturday night, she asked me if Claude Berri was still alive, and I mistakenly told her yes. I had forgotten that I'd read that he died last month at 74. I remember, who was it? Rice? mentioning that she saw an R-rated French flick in school with a castration. That was Berri's Germinal. Berri made many significant films, several with Gerard Depardieu. But I will probably always remember him as a humanistic alchemist who turned simple life stories into cinematic gold, and none of them were ever more valuable to me than The Two of Us.

I'm a day late here...

First off, I think I will re-rate Magnolia. I'm not sure what to change it to, maybe a 4 -, but the main thing that makes this film not get full marks from me is that it didn't blow me away THAT much, and more importantly it had pretty much no lasting effect on me. I haven't thought much about it at all, and no movie will a perfect score should be like that. But I can say that the perfect scores I'm giving the first two films below are true, as they are two of the best films I've ever seen.

There Will Be Blood (2007) -

So I saw this when the DVD came out and liked it a lot. I never paid attention to it since then, though, until I watched it again a few days ago. It may be the only film (or at least one of the only films) I can say is absolutely perfect in every single way. There is literally nothing wrong with it, in my opinion. Daniel Day-Lewis obviously gives an amazing performance, and so does Paul Dano. I would even say Dillon Freasier was exceptional, considering he was just a kid from a Texas school near the film's shooting location that they just picked up and he still acted like a pro.

I would like to see Eli and Mrs. Carmody go at it in some sort of annoying religious preaching battle.

Boogie Nights (1997) -

I liked this nearly as much as There Will Be Blood. I want to say equally, because this is so damn good, but I don't think it's quite that. I was still blown away, though. I've never thought of Mark Wahlberg as being a very good actor, but this totally changed my mind about him. I thought every character was great in their own right. I don't even know who my favorite was, but I think my top faves were John C. Reilly, Philip Seymour Hoffman, and Mark Wahlberg.

Oh, and most surprising ending ever.

Superbad (2007) -
+

For the longest time I've thought of this movie as overrated tripe, even though I loved it when I first saw it. Well, I watched it again, and I don't think it's overrated anymore. It's definitely a great comedy. Jonah Hill and Michael Cera have great buddy chemistry, as do Seth Rogen and Bill Hader. I think my fave character is Miroki, though.

Did I mention Michael Cera rocks?

Altered States (1980)
+

Great sci-fi flick. Super weird, just how I like 'em. Some of the scenes brought me back to my first viewing of An American Werewolf in London, even though it's not nearly as amazing.

Crash (2004) -

I didn't like this one at all. It was contrived, pretentious, and full of bad acting. How did this movie win Best Picture? I will say this: Daniel's story gets almost every single point I am giving this movie.

Short Cuts (1993) -
+

So I watched this because of Magnolia and how it supposedly ripped from this film. I can see why, with the whole 'interconnected people in L.A.' thing going on, and what happened in the ending was very, very similar. The tone is a bit different, though, and Magnolia is all about death and redemption, whereas I didn't see a real point with this film. I still really enjoyed it, though. The most notable thing about it in my eyes was the cast. During the beginning, as it was going showing the cast list, I was amazed at how many actors I love were up there. Tim Robbins, Tom Waits (also a great musician), Robert Downing, Jr., Julianne Moore, Frances McDormand, Andie MacDowell, and then a buttload of other actors who I liked from a film or two.

And they were all great in this.

I like those ratings Swan, I'm one of the few who would agree with Crash being overrated, I'd give it a 3/5 though. Concerning Magnolia I remember that the phone number Tom Cruise's character advertises in the film you could call and there was a recording by Tom Cruise as his character promoting his product. Magnolia would also get a 3/5 from me.

Zodiac (Fincher, 2007) -
+

First things first - I was slightly let down by Zodiac. Considering how much I'd been hearing about how great it was (and not only that, but being considered a far more accomplished film than Fincher's earlier works like Se7en or Fight Club), I honestly have to admit that I don't find myself as utterly blown away as I was by either of those films the first time I watched them.

Of course, it was still engaging enough, even though in all honesty it felt like the last hour of the film (from the point where the case is forgotten by everyone except Jake Gyllenhaal's Graysmith) could've been excised completely and I wouldn't really have noticed. I think it was from that point onwards that I got a little tired of watching Graysmith obsess over this long dead case, even if he did make for a watchable fight for "the truth" at the risk of everything. I find it interesting to think that this film was based on the book that Graysmith wrote (and is shown working on in the film) and yet it doesn't paint a particularly favourable portrait of him, at least not to me. Sure, he cares about the case, but it's to no real avail (since Zodiac was never caught for certain, and the prime suspects are still somewhat sketchy). Regardless, in terms of filmmaking it got the usual things right - visual flair, good performances (once again, Robert Downey Jr. displays his capacity for stealing scenes) and two-thirds of the film make for a taut mystery. Shame the rest isn't quite as good.

The Bird People in China (Miike, 1998) -
+

This one probably deserves a full-fledged review, but it's late, I'm tired and I don't think I'd really do the film justice with a handful of paragraphs. Who knows, maybe my small tab write-up may just evolve into such a review - we'll see. The Bird People in China marks the second Takashi Miike film I've watched (after 2001's incredibly violent live-action cartoon Ichi the Killer) and it goes in a far different direction to Ichi or indeed most of Miike's filmography. While there are a handful of violent acts (the strongest of which occur close to the film's conclusion), the film is by and large far different in tone.

Wada, a young Japanese salaryman is sent on a business trip to the Chinese countryside to check a supposedly huge deposit of highly valuable jade that's been found near a remote village. Along the way, he is accosted by Ujiie, a temperamental Yakuza who works for a syndicate that Wada's company owes money to. As a result, he has been assigned to keep an eye on Wada. The two men begin a reluctant partnership as they are guided to the middle of a primitive Chinese village in search of not just the promise of fortune, but of meaning as well.

While of course, the film reminded me of older films I'd seen (chief among them Herzog's Aguirre, the Wrath of God and Kitano's Sonatine) in terms of its plot arcs and character development, it did feel quite unique. As with Sonatine, the first and third acts are where most of the plot is developed and complicated, yet the second is like a pause in the action as Wada and Ujiie settle into the village and learn about the inhabitants, their history and its relation to the Chinese-Japanese myth of the titular "bird people". While nothing overtly dynamic happened, it was still engaging enough for me not to care. Without any graphic imagery to distract you, Miike's actual skill as a filmmaker becomes much more noticeable, allowing you to be drawn straight into the picturesque landscapes and incredibly layered performances by the characters. Even though there are moments that are much closer to his usual style (the aforementioned violence in the third act), it doesn't jar with the rest of the film and flawlessly works.

I can understand why Pyro Tramp opted to cite this as Miike's best. I seriously doubt that whatever other films of his I may watch, they may never touch the breathtaking feeling I get from watching The Bird People in China.

there's a frog in my snake oil

The Oxford Murders

Treacle-slow murder-mystery that stuffs its bready sandwich of convoluted twists and ivy-clad settings with some truly fatuous academic talk. If you're unfamiliar with the big-name maths & quantum-lite topics they pontificate about then these exchanges may seem unhelpfully impenetrable, but if you've done some 'science-philosophy 101' grubbing it'll all seem ludicrously elementary in the mouths of John Hurt's eccentric professor & Elijah Wood's protege. Amusingly an educational comic-book later helps them solve part of the symbolic code that emerges as the main clue in a series of murders.

There are some good points amongst the dross and the disappointment. Alex Cox appears as a professor driven to distraction by his pursuit for mathematical truth (in a sordid & very Pi-like sub-section) amongst other fun cameos. The film regularly looks good, and its final reveal, when it fiiiinally arrives, is actually not bad. But overall it's uneven, too slow for it's own good, and generally unconvincing.

What Just Happen-Strange

Punisher War Zone-Cult!To bad I had to watch it on my own other wise it would be much more funnier with friends,great soundtrack though

Role Models-Funny

Closer-Mean,Unrealistic,Brilliant

Halloween 4-stupid boring,Hilarius,cliche

Glad you liked Bird People Iro, hope it's given you more incentive to watch some more of his flicks- i'd recommend Gozu or Happiness of the Katakuris next for some the absurd side of the Miike spectrum (or Visitor Q if you're brave enough, which may be on par with Bird People)!

I recently caught these three films; all excellent:

Kalifornia -
+
First off, it is Kalifornia; and it is a shame that this film is considered mediocre. It is certainly a film of tremendous power and certainly an above average picture. An ultimately frightening psychological thriller that keeps the viewer on the edge of his/her seat, especially in the final 30 minutes.

One of the most powerful casts of characters all acted to perfection by its leading actors make Kalifornia a picture to be reckoned with. The feeling of the film is extremely convincing and unquestionably realistic. The lighting of the film unites with the creative and abrasive set pieces to conjure up an authentically gritty setting with a morbidly deranged aura.

Brian (played by David Duchovny) and his girlfriend, Carrie (played by Michelle Forbes) head out on a trip to California where they peruse to research the locations of infamous killings in search of material for a book on serial killers that Brian is in the process of writing. Brian is desperately struggling to find out what drives a human being to kill; to research what goes on in the mind of a serial killer and find out a motive for seemingly senseless killings.

They share a ride with an irksome and mysterious couple that they hardly know; Early Grace (played by Brad Pitt) and his girlfriend Adele (played by Juliette Lewis) are seemingly kind, friendly people at first, yet turn out to be a crazed couple of serial killers on the run from the law. As the film goes on, the danger becomes apparent.

The acting in the film is top-notch. Brad Pitt, David Duchovny, Juliette Lewis and Michelle Forbes are all at the top of their game. Brad Pitt creates one of the most unique and utterly terrifying horror villains to grace a screen. Juliette Lewis’s performance is very convincing as well.

Overall, the film deserves much more credit than it currently receives. It starts off a bit slow, yet eventually becomes a truly harrowing, believable and tout killer picture that means serious business. I picked this up not expecting much from a blind buy, and was more than delighted by the ferociousness of it; a great movie.

The Lives of Others -

The Lives of Others is a carefully put together dramatic thriller with meticulously crafted and seemingly deniable suspense that triggers the emotions without using normal thrilling elements such as fear. The film captures the emotions of the main character with absolute precision. The Lives of Others was understandably given the award for best foreign language film of the year.

Wiesler, the main character is a seemingly lonely man who works for the secret police of East Germany. The East Germany secret police put Wiesler on surveillance of a recently bugged home of a man named Georg Dreyman and his girlfriend. While Wiesler listens in on the other man and his girlfriend, he begins to feel an unusual connection towards them. He decides to keep everything that is able to endanger their live to be kept secret risking both his job and his future to save the man and his girlfriend.

One big shock at the end leads to an unforgettable ending. The characters never meet, though the connection between them is undeniable. The closing lines of the film are nothing short of perfection. Filled with depression after all hope is seemingly lost a man finds gratitude in a way that couldn’t have been done better.

Paths of Glory -
-

I recently caught Paths of Glory starring Kirk Douglas once again. I will commence by stating that I appreciated it even more the second time around. It is an extremely complex war film for its time.

The battle scenes areextremely well played for a 50s film, yet I couldn’t help but get the conception that not enough emphasis was contrived on them; leaving the battle scenes dispensable and improvable. However, they are not the focus of the film and are ultimately forgettable. It does evolve into more than just another war (or anti-war) film as time progresses through it.

The aura of the film the film is aberrant for a war film, and amid the first proceedings I didn't think the toneof the film was applicable. Nonetheless, once the story came into play I was genuinely blown away at how much the mood affected the film.

This easily ranks up with not only the best Stanley Kubrick films I've seen but also among the best war films. Highly recommended.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Very nice reviews, Buddy. Of those three, Paths of Glory is certainly my fave. I'm glad that you liked it, but I found some of your choices of words strange. For example, you call it (in some ways) "dispensible", "improvable", "forgettable", and "aberrant". I think I know what you're trying to get at, but I would never have used any of those words. You also imply that the film is dated because you say that "it is an extremely complex war film for its time".

The thing I love about Paths of Glory is that it's only 86 minutes long. I find it to be a perfectly-constructed film without a wasted moment; everything in it is is there for the single-minded purpose of making the best possible film imaginable. As well as being an incredible editing-together of two lengthy shots from various perspectives, I find the major battle scene to be horrifically-realistic and highly-necessary to establish what follows in the film. Anyway, I realize that you like the film, so I'm not so much really arguing with you, but rather, I'm taking advantage of the opportunity to gush over a film which I believe several MoFos should avail themselves to. Kubrick was 28 when he filmed this.

Do you really believe that if the film was remade today that it could be improved upon? I cannot see it because even though I don't give it the maximum rating, I do find it to be a basically perfect film with far more art, power, skill and elegance than any other war film I can think of. I cry like a baby at the finale. Plus, once again, it's all crammed into 86 minutes!!

I posted this at meaty's review thread, but I think it's worth putting up again, especially if it gets somebody to watch the movie.

"A film is a putrified fountain of thought"
Friday the 13th

Meh. First five minutes was the best part, otherwise it fell a little short for me. I had a big problem with the lack of the ha-ha-ha-che-che-che, and the predictability was pretty inexcusable even for a slasher flick. And Jason running threw me off a little. It was degrading, I love his superhuman power walking! Still, even though I wish it had kept up with the all out craziness of the other Friday the 13ths, the death scenes were cool enough to not make it an entire disappointment.

Glad you liked Bird People Iro, hope it's given you more incentive to watch some more of his flicks- i'd recommend Gozu or Happiness of the Katakuris next for some the absurd side of the Miike spectrum (or Visitor Q if you're brave enough, which may be on par with Bird People)!
I probably will sooner or later - probably won't get to watch them straightaway as I have various other commitments to attend to, but yeah.