MovieMan8877445's Movie Reviews

→ in
Tools    

Well it's a true story so it does have that going for it I suppose. I don't know why people seem to think that the rest of the world needs to see every single true story that occurred during the holocaust but they do. That's their prerogative I suppose and its their dime. Doesn't mean its a good film, which I agree with you, this one isn't. I bet if you watch it again your rating will drop.

I did like the music, but like I said in the movie tab, if that's the best thing you've got going for you during a holocaust film then you have serious problems...

Anyway, nice write up.
Yeah, I have been noticing that most halocaust movies are pretty similar, and now it's just gotten worse. I mean just the stuff in this reminded me so much of Schindler's List that it was just sad, but I was very disappointed with it, because I had such high expectations for it.

Jurassic Park (Steven Spielberg, 1993)

1993 really was a great year for Steven Spielberg, I mean that year he gave to of his best movies he’s ever made, Jurassic Park and Schindler’s List. I feel really proud to be born in 1993, just because of those two movies. This is that one movie for me that I really can’t find a spot on my favorites list for, I mean I do really, really love it, but I don’t know. I mean I love this movie more than any other movie, and I’ve always sort of considered it my all-time favorite movie, but for some reason I could just never put it in that spot. But after watching it for the first time in like a year tonight, I can honestly put it at that spot, because to me, this is the greatest movie ever made. This is the first movie that I can remember seeing and actually liking, so without this movie, I would never have my love for movies that I have now, so I have A LOT of respect for this movie. This film is nothing, but perfect. And much like Jaws, this is that one movie that most people just seem to love, but I don’t see any reason why anyone wouldn’t.

The effects in Jurassic Park are just timeless, they still amaze me to this day, I would take the effects used in Jurassic Park over any movie that we have today. Stan Winston is just a master with effects, it’s just sad that we won’t get to see any more of his work, because he was a true genius at what he did. Another thing that really made this like Jaws was the suspense that it had, granted that it still didn’t have as much suspense as Jaws, but then again Jaws is like the ultimate suspense movie. And one of the things that just really add to the suspense is the amazing score done by no other than John Williams who, like Stan Winston, is a genius at what he does. He’s definitely up there with my all-time favorite composers, what he did with this, Jaws, and Schindler’s List were just amazing.

I swear Steven Spielberg is a god among filmmakers; he is the best one ever to come into the business IMO. He knows what he’s doing and very rarely disappoints, without Spielberg in the business I don’t even think I’d love movies as much as I do now. The movie industry would be incomplete without many of his movies. One of the things that impress me so much with this, is the characters he chose for the film. Sam Neill and the two kids (Joseph Mazzello and Ariana Richards) just immediately has a connection to each other, they were the perfect choices for the roles. Jeff Goldblum was very great in the role, he had to make himself seem crazy, yet sane at the same time, which he achieved at doing. I was sad to see that his character changed in the sequel, he seemed more sane and scared in the sequel. I do got to admit, when I was a kid, Sam Neill’s character, Alan Grant, was my favorite character, he was just so freaking cool to me, and he still is just not as much.

Personally give me any other movie name, and I can tell you 100 reasons why I think Jurassic Park is even better. No other film even comes close to how amazing and mind blowing Jurassic Park is, I think to really love it though you’d have to have seen it when you were a kid. I mean, I’m sure most people have seen this by now, but if for some bizarre reason that you haven’t seen it yet, do yourself a favor and go do so very soon. But like I said, if you aren’t a kid, you probably won’t get the full effect of it. The very first time that I ever saw this was the very best movie experience that I’ve ever had, it was the very first great movie that I actually ever saw. Tonight’s viewing of it, really felt a lot like my first viewing of it, but I still didn’t quite get the same effect, and I doubt I ever will with any movie. I feel just so sad when the movie ends though, I just get so into it that the movie itself just flies by making me want to see more; at least we have 2 sequels. Both of the sequels I actually liked, I really liked the second, but I thought the third lost a lot of the magic that Jurassic Park had by switching to CGI. I could watch this movie all day if I could, and I’ve actually done this before when I was a kid. I really want to do it again, but I doubt that I’ll ever do that again. When I was a kid though, I rarely ever watched a full movie, I mainly just skipped to my favorite scenes of movie, this was the one movie that I never did that with, because it was too amazing to do that with, and it still is that amazing.

Paul Blart: Mall Cop (Steve Carr, 2009)

Now when I before the movie started for this, I had very mixed reactions for it, I mean I thought the trailer looked pretty funny and Kevin James is always hilarious. And I actually tend to like a lot of the stupid comedies that comes out, because I just find them funny, except more of the recent stupid comedies really haven’t impressed me that much, I was glad to see Paul Blart: Mall Cop change the recent trend. Now I’m not saying that this movie is a masterpiece or anything, but I can say that it’s very enjoyable and easily worth the price of an admission ticket. I think that, for the most part, you should be able to enjoy this as long as you expect to see a stupid comedy before watching it.

I did really like how the ending turned into more of an action movie, yet it still had all these funny comedy moments in it. I don’t really know how to explain it; I guess you could call it a comedy version of Die Hard, except the main hero really isn’t all that tough. What I didn’t like was this spoiled the ending to Bonnie and Clyde for me though, I guess I’ll still see it sometime, but now I already know the ending. I just hate when movies spoil the ending to other movies for you, it just upsets me. Besides that, there really wasn’t much that I didn’t like about it, mainly because I didn’t really take it seriously most of the movie. I do have to say that this is probably one of the funniest movies I’ve seen in a while, maybe not as funny Pineapple Express, Tropic Thunder, or Role Models or anything, but I was laughing throughout most of the movie.

The best thing about this, by far, definitely was Kevin James; I don’t think I’ve seen him in a role yet that he hasn’t been hilarious in. One of the funniest things he did in this movie was trying to juke out two of these bad guys on a segway, I know it doesn’t really sound all that funny, but it was hilarious if you saw it. He will always be Doug Heffernan from Kings of Queens to me though; none of his performances will ever top him in that though. Someone that really surprised me in this was Jayma Mays, now most of you may know her as that annoying girl that you just wanted to die from Epic Movie. I swear, she’s gotten really hot since Epic Movie, and was surprisingly pretty funny in this, I just loved seeing her in scenes, because like I said she was just really hot. This actually had some new actors that I really haven’t seen in anything before that were actually pretty funny, like Adhir Kalyan, whenever he was talking on the phone with Blart, I was just laughing.

Overall, I was glad that I decided to go and see this, because it was actually pretty funny. This is one that I’d definitely try and check out sometime before it leaves theaters as long as you don’t mind stupid comedies. If you don’t like stupid comedies, then you probably won’t like this at all, and should stay away from it. If you’re on the fence about it though, you should probably wait to see it on DVD. I do have to say, Kevin James fans won’t be disappointed, he was hilarious in this. It’s a huge step up from Steve Carr’s other movies like, Rebound and Daddy Day Care, so don’t let those stop you from seeing this.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Personally give me any other movie name, and I can tell you 100 reasons why I think Jurassic Park is even better.
Jaws. now I wanna see a list of 100

Will you settle for 10 ?
Quiet you.

I could probably give 100 reasons why alot of movies are better than Jurassic Park, but I won't, mostly because when I saw it in the theaters I was around 14 years old and it was mind blowing for me too.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Oh and I'm almost done reading Watchmen, I've been taking my time, reading it on the way to work, and there is no way in hell this film will gross more than Transformers 2. Why? Because it is too intelligent and the majority of people don't like stories that really make them think. I am definitely looking forward to the movie now, but I also wonder if it can be faithfully adapted to the big screen? I guess we'll see soon enough.

Oh and I'm almost done reading Watchmen, I've been taking my time, reading it on the way to work, and there is no way in hell this film will gross more than Transformers 2. Why? Because it is too intelligent and the majority of people don't like stories that really make them think. I am definitely looking forward to the movie now, but I also wonder if it can be faithfully adapted to the big screen? I guess we'll see soon enough.
Yeah, but of course they're probably gonna dumb it down some for movie watchers, and they've added more action in it (like The Comedian's death scene for example). But yeah, Transformers 2 will probably sadly gross more than Watchmen, mainly for it's PG-13 rating while Watchmen as a R rating, even though it's probably gonna be overrated like the first, at least everyone will know what the better movie is.

That's the most damming thing I've ever read.
I guess you didn't like King Of Queens that much then?

I want to see Paul Blart: Mall Cop really bad. I haven't seen it yet, but I hope to. You gave it a positive review, so I hope for the best.
I suggest hope for the worst, because that's what I did, and ended up liking it.

I think Watchmen is gona make a ton , it's got a strong hype scheme going on (much like Cloverfield and The Dark Knight did).

Especially after The Dark Knight , another realistic imaginative comic book movie will be something that will hook a large mainstream audience.

I think Watchmen is gona make a ton , it's got a strong hype scheme going on (much like Cloverfield and The Dark Knight did).

Especially after The Dark Knight , another realistic imaginative comic book movie will be something that will hook a large mainstream audience.
I'm really hoping that it can make as much money as those, but both of those are also only PG-13, while Watchmen is rated R. Cloverfield didn't really make that much at the box office anyway, I believe it only made like less than 80 million.

I guess you didn't like King Of Queens that much then?
You're right, I don't like that programme at all. I also hate it when he shows up in Everybody Loves Raymond.

Also, while Cloverfield took $80m at the US box office, it took another $90m worldwide. That, and the fact that it's budget was about $25m and that's before it went on to the really profitable stage of a films life, the dvd release. If Watchmen can do anything like Cloverfield's business, I think that they'll be pretty happy.

Taken (Pierre Morel, 2008)

After waiting months to see this, this finally came out in the US on Friday, so I was really excited to finally be able to see it. So before I even start my review, just know that my expectations for this were really high, this was one of my most hyped movies to see in 2009. As some of you may know, I really love revenge movies, so I already knew that I was going to at least like it some, but I got so much more than that. Taken is a non-stop thrill ride, right when Liam Neeson gets to Paris, the action doesn’t stop at all. So action fans really should love this one, it wasn’t just some pure action flick though; it has a great story with some great acting, mainly from Neeson, to go along with it. Once it starts you won’t want it to end.

One of the things that mainly had me hyped for this is that it was written by Luc Besson, who’s the director of Leon: The Professional which is one of my all-time favorite movies. Besson really has another great movie on his hands; I actually felt some of the scenes really reminded me of Leon. This is just one of those movies that really have you cheering throughout the movie, at least I know I was, and I haven’t actually cheered in a movie in a long time. The movie just went by so fast; I wish they could’ve made it longer. I know that if it was longer though, it may have you feeling that it’s a bit overly long. The ending was sort of predictable though, but most revenge movies end the same, so I don’t know why I expected something different. I really loved that song that started playing once the credits started playing though; it was the song that played in the first trailer for Taken.

The main thing that had me hyped for Taken though, has to be that Liam Neeson was starring in it. He’s one of my all-time favorite actors, and I seem to find him great in almost everything he’s in, expect maybe The Dead Pool, but even Eastwood wasn’t as great in The Dead Pool. None of his performances in anything will ever top him in Schindler’s List, that’s sort of a given. I’d probably say that his performance in this is about equal with his performance in Batman Begins, maybe not quite as good in that but almost. Olivier Rabourin was good in this as well, the only reason that I really even mentioned this though, is because of how similar he looks to Kevin Spacey. I swear I actually thought that he was Kevin Spacey at first. Famke Janssen was good in this, expect I didn’t really like that her acting was just crying throughout most of the movie.

Overall I was very happy that I went to see this, it met almost every expectation that I had for it. Even if you only have little interest in seeing it I suggest you do so before leaving theaters, because it’s just one of those movies that’s meant to be seen at theaters to get the full effect. It’s a non-stop thrill ride that will have you on the edge of your seat throughout the whole movie. I think any action fan will be able to appreciate Taken, because I’d go even as far to call it one of my new all time favorite action movies.

What I didn’t like was this spoiled the ending to Bonnie and Clyde for me though, I guess I’ll still see it sometime, but now I already know the ending. I just hate when movies spoil the ending to other movies for you, it just upsets me.
You've got to be kidding me. You never knew that Bonnie & Clyde died in a hail of gunfire with police? Wow. Come on dude.

You've got to be kidding me. You never knew that Bonnie & Clyde died in a hail of gunfire with police? Wow. Come on dude.
I said that as a joke, I think everyone knows the ending to Bonnie & Clyde.

I said that as a joke, I think everyone knows the ending to Bonnie & Clyde.
Uh huh....