One Movie A Day Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

The Thing is so drawn out - I don't know how you can sit through it. It's like if they filmed the movie in real time.

I really love the core idea of the movie, but I don't have the patience. (the game is funner for me)

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
The video game was way too hard to play, it took forever to kill the damn things.

Suspect's Reviews

Welcome to the human race...
The Thing is so drawn out - I don't know how you can sit through it. It's like if they filmed the movie in real time.

I really love the core idea of the movie, but I don't have the patience. (the game is funner for me)
I think Evil Dead might be more your speed...oh wait...

Also, I re-watched both versions of Dawn of the Dead. I think I was a little harsh on the newer one there - it's not so bad to watch, actually.

DAY 38: October 8th, 2008.

May

May is a modern day take on Frankenstein. The title character, May, is socially awkward, yet she tries desperately to connect to people around her...by using their body parts to create her own friend.

May is a serious film, with serious characters and a story that every can connect to on one level or another. don't watch this expecting a bloody horror film with body parts everywhere, it's not that type of film. The film isn't scary either, which is why I think it never really found it's audience. It was more of a character study, with the horror aspect sprinkled in to make it different. I liked it.

Angela Bettis does a stand out job as May, she also played socially awkward Carrie in the made for TV movie. Just little subtle expressions and you can see how vulnerable she is. Jeremy Sisto plays a guy whom May falls for, because he has 'perfect hands' and Anna Faris who works with May, falls for her. It's a tragic, yet beautiful story. When these people turn their backs on her...that's when the crazy that's been built up inside of her (from rough childhood) finally emerges.

I felt sorry for May, even though I shouldn't have. The film is slow, but worth it if you're willing to invest in these characters and the 'horror' story.

DAY 39: October 9th, 2008.

Jeepers Creepers

So this was going to be a scary film. A modern-classic B horror film. Then it was released and people hated it. I loved......the first 20 minutes.

I thought that Salva did an excellent job of setting up this film, it did have the b horror film stigma to it and it worked. The Creeper himself was indeed creepy...before we actually saw him and learned about him.

The point that this film turns into crap? When they go back. The reason for them going back is weak and pointless. Weak writing to simply set the film in motion.

The film stars Justin Long before he became a comedy star and Gina Philips. They both are convincing as brother and sister who argue with each other. I didn't care for the psychic or the cat lady.

The ending is nice, a depressing turn that was nice to see other then a cliched horror twist or the everything is alright ending that some have.

A good review of May US. I liked it to (and that's despite the fact that Jeremy Sisto's in it and I don't like him too much) and I think you're right about why it's not more well known and why it didn't find an audience. I was expecting something more conventional, even though I knew it wasn't a run-of-the-mill horror but, thankfully, I came around quickly to the fact that it wasn't. I can understand why most of the people I've talked about it with were disapointed or underwhelmed by it. It's certainly not a film I'd really recommend to anyone with much confidence.

I've never seen JC, but most people I talk to about it seem to agree that it's good for about 45 minutes, then it takes a violent turn left and leaves them behind, wishing that it'd just kept doing what it was doing.

DAY 40: October 10th, 2008.

Idle Hands

Have you ever wondered what Evil Dead II would be like if the sub-plot about Ash's hand was in fact the entire film. Look no further then Idle Hands.

When I first watched this film (I was quite young) I wasn't too big a fan. Either I didn't find it funny, or I didn't get it. Watching it today, I appreciate it more, but still think it could use a lot of improvement. As horror-comedies go, it's a winner. It balances both quite well.

The film is pretty violent and has some unique and funny deaths. Death by bottle....stuck in head??? The interaction with Anton and his two best (dead) friends is the best parts of the film.

You can see where it gets it's inspiration from. If you're into this style of film (Shaun of the Dead, Army of Darkness) give it a look, although it's not as good as those two mentioned.

DAY 41: October 11th, 2008.

House of 1,000 Corpses

Here we have another film that was suppose to re-define the genre. How many of those films actually do the task? Or better yet, how many times does this genre need re-defining?

I remember the hype for this film in the horror community was big. It was the first feature film from Zombie, who was a staple for the genre in music, and the countless efforts to not be able to get the R rating from the MPAA because of the horrific violence peaked the interest of numerous horror fans, myself included.

The story is a modern take or homage to the Texas Chainsaw Massacre. In which a group of teens are tortured by a family of psychos. These psychos included TCM alumni Bill Moseley as Otis and B movie star Sid Haig. Who has become the 'face' of not only this film, but the sequel (a much better film mind you)

I never really saw the shock, the terror or the big deal about this film. It never struck me as something that should be banned, or cut down. I saw the talent in the filmmaking, a talent that would only get better with time and more experience.

House of 1K Corpses failed to deliver what I had expected and takes wild turns towards the end with unneeded subplots. This was one of those films that was suppose to re-unite horror fans across the globe...what happened?

DAY 42: October 12th, 2008.

King Of The Ants

The reason I am not a fan of this film is because it didn't play out like I wanted it to. Then again I had no idea what I was getting myself into. I wanted more of a horror elements in this, the DVD cover gave me that impression. The film on the other hand plays out like a revenge thriller.

So a guy is hire to kill people, they people who hired him try to kill him, he escapes and goes on his revenge spree.

There is nothing memorable in this film except for a sex scene involving Kari Wuhrer, which is a shame because she does all kinds of sex scenes.

The violence is weird. They continuously beat the guy over the head with objects...like a golf club, while they have him tied up and his eyes and ears covered with foam padding. The leader of this pack? Daniel Baldwin....yup.

It has a surprisingly decent following and the fans seem to like it, I expected more, especially from a horror vet like Gordon.

DAY 43: October 13th, 2008.

Deathwatch

Here is an enjoyable film that came out of nowhere. It follows a small pack of British soldier, behind enemy lines in a bunker...that is HAUNTED (oohhh)

So nothing really special, but I like the idea and the style there are going for and hey, I think for the most part they pulled it off.

The ending will have you come up with your own theories on what happened and I sure had a few of my own.

The acting was decent, it stars Jamie Bell (Jumper) and Andy Serkis (Lord of the Rings, or more famously, 13 going on 30)

The cinematography is what really caught my eye, especially for a low budget horror film and the sense of terror is actually quite good. The setting and the atmosphere are perfect for this film and it uses it to it's advantage very well.

Check it out for a raining day and when you want to watch a decent direct to DVD horror flick.

there's a frog in my snake oil
Yeah, but his reviews are only up to Oct. 13. Eighteen more to go for last month.
I suspect he's been eaten by a video tape

DAY 44: October 14th, 2008.

Day of the Dead

My least favourite of the Romero zombie films.

I think the film just tried t hard to be different. I get what Romero did to a degree, but question if it was the right thing. With each film in his series they undead seem to get smarter and smarter. Do I really want to see this? Or do I simply want people running away for their lives from these creatures?

I was honestly bored to tears by the movie, I'm sad to say that as well. I figured I would love it. Zombies plus the army, but the film takes way to long to get to anything remotely interesting. I didn't care for any of the characters, and the script was pretty weak for me. I never felt isolated from the atmosphere, I should have considering they were underground.

The special effects are top notch though. The make-up for the zombies are the best (for the original three films anyway) and Day of the Dead has the best on screen death scene out of any of Romero's films. It also comes with my favourite line. "Choke on it!!!"

It's violent and bloody climax didn't come soon enough to save this film for me and nor did it make me satisfied with the fact that I stayed for the end.

edit - I just noticed Meat asking me to do Zombie movies. I found that funny.

Meat - I've already watched these films, I can't do a zombie film if I haven't seen it yet. It was sheer coincidence you say that and on this date I watched a zombie film.

Yeah, but his reviews are only up to Oct. 13. Eighteen more to go for last month.
If I don't see a review for The Changeling in them, I may cry. Is that really what you want, Suspect!?!

Hell, with my luck, you'll hate it. Although, after some of the crap you've been watching, I won't feel too bad about that.

DAY 45: October 15th, 2008.

Candyman

I didn't know what to expect from this one. I seemed like it was suppose to be played out like a slasher flick, but instead I got a spiritual slasher flick.

I love the idea behind the film, but the final presentation is kind of weak for me. I didn't fall in love with the film and I easily could have. I love the character of the Candyman and the "story" behind him. Say his name 5 times in the mirror and he comes for you. I love the opening to the film as well, Ted Raimi gets props from me.

I thought Madsen was great in the role and I really cared for the character. I was cheering at the end of this film, even though I possibly shouldn't be. Tony Todd is great as the Candyman and he makes this figure a well known villain in the horror genre.

So why didn't I fall in love with it? For one thing it takes too long to get to where it wants to go. I wanted more Candyman and by the time it got to him, I was sort of bored. I wanted more originality in the death department as well.

In the end, it's a decent horror flick, if you're wiling to wait for the interesting parts to happen later on, I can't say too much for the sequels though.