One Movie A Day Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
DAY 17: September 17th, 2008.

Mr. Woodcock

Ever since the very funny Bad Santa, there have been a slew of Billy Bob Thorton plays an ******* type comedy. The one prior to this entry was School For Scoundrels. Now, if you play this two movies one after another I guarantee you that you would not be able to tell which character was from which movie, since they are almost the exact same. This film and Scoundrels, both feature Thorton an autopilot. While he still gets the laughs, it's the rest of the film that fails horribly around him, It makes me wonder how many more of these films we are going to get.

Sean William Scott gets no laughs here. He is not playing the perverted jerk (Road Trip, American Pie) nor is this an action comedy (The Rundown, Bullet Proof Monk). So we are treated to a boring character, played by a wooden Scott. I can't help but say that the lead role was horrible miscast here.

The script is nothing new, nor funny. Mr. Woodcock unfortunately falls into the category that hurt so many comedies. The old, "If You've Seen The Trailer, You've Seen All The Funny Parts". It is completely true in this case. I did chuckle here and there, but that's only because Thorton is abusive to little kids.

Suspect's Reviews

DAY 18: September 18th, 2008.

30 Days Of Night

30 Days of Night is based on a graphic novel of the same name, it also involves Vampires killing people.

So, with that very bare minimum plot synopsis, if it does not sound like the type of film you would like, I would say skip it. 30 Days Of Night has something that other vampire flicks did not have, unlimited time. When I first heard about this film and heard that Vampires attacked a small village during these 30 days of night, I thought to myself. "How are these people going to survive...they have no daylight!!" Thus, the film peaked me interest.

The vampires (unfortunately) are not menacing enough. They look scary, but their actions are not. They have blood around their mouths, and mouths that look like a werewolf and not your every day mythological vampire. They walk around in dressy clothes and speak another language. They climb onto of buildings and hide in the shadows. It sure sounds scary, so why isn't it? I don't know, the atmosphere itself should have been one of the better parts of the film, but not once did I feel trapped nor did I fear for any of the characters. None of which are likable.

I will give props to the blood and gore department. I did not expect it to be as bloody as it was. Foster is the only character worth watching, while some think he tends to overact (3:10 To Yuma) I really dig him. He was the best part of Hostage for crying out loud. The lead should have been someone older as well. I did not believe Hartnett in this role for one moment. What made it even worse was the ending, how inane was it? What was going to be a decent flick, takes a horrible turn in the last ten minutes.

I did like the overhead tracking shot of the village though, very well done.

DAY 19: September 19th, 2008.

Clue

While this isn't the first time I've seen this film (in fact it is one of my guilty pleasures), I saw it on Destiny's list and decided to get the only copy I could find. From my girlfriend. So we sat and watched it tonight, still as good as i first saw it.

Now, in adapting the board game clue, there was really only two routes they could have gone, serious or comedic. They chose the latter and after seeing the results, I'm interested in seeing how a serious take on the game would be like.

I did not laugh as much as I did the first time I saw it, I enjoyed it all the same. Tim Curry is his usual good self as the butler, Martin Mull, who I grew up watching as the principal from Sabrina The Teenage Witch...yeah I watched it, is Col Mustard with Christopher Loyd as Prof Plum in perfect casting and Michael Mckean from This Is Spinal Tap fame as my personal favourite Mr. Green.

On the female side there is Madeline Kahn as Mrs. White, Eileen Brennan as Mrs. Peacock and Lesley Anne Warren as Miss Scarlet. All play their parts very well and have great comedic timing, not to mention they all have great chemistry with one another. You'd think they've all been doing comedy with each other for years.

Even though you know the outcome (of all the endings if you've seen it before) you can't help but look for any little clues along the way and the film brings you in even more then you originally thought. I was highly entertained and even imagined myself in the film, thinking of what I would do in the situation.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I always enjoy ALL your reviews, but what makes this that much better than In Bruges? I can also suggest some good flicks to watch, but there's no point if you won't actually watch 'em.

What about Allegro non troppo, Blowup, Easy Rider, Alice in Wonderland( 1951), The Maltese Falcon and People Will Talk (1951)? ... Yes!

I guess I should give it another shot (but it won't be for while, don't want to watch the same film twice for this).

I will check out those films you suggested.

DAY 20: September 20th, 2008.

Ghost Town

After dying for a little less then seven minutes after going in for some minor surgery. Dentist Pincus begins to see dead people. The dead people, finally having someone who can see and hear them, try to get him to finish their business so they can finally leave this world. Only problem is Pincus is a loner who hates people.

It's Ricky Gervais' dry humour and wit that seem to elevate Ghost Town and make it stand out in the crowd of numerous other clichéd romantic comedies. That's not saying that this film isn't clichéd, it has them left right and centre. Although with Gervais taking a different approach to the material then what most other leading men would do in this situation, Ghost Town becomes a film that people will actually enjoy and not roll their eyes at.

We start the film off with the death of Greg Kinnear, and if you think that is a spoiler then you have no idea what this movie is about. After that we are treated to the 'people person' that is our lead character. We get this immediately with his treatment to his patients and other co-workers. Although, after his surgery, he opens his eyes and start seeing ghosts around the town. This is when the clichéd bits start kicking in. With every film in which a living character can see and speak with ghosts, you get the obligatory "Is he crazy?" as people around him see him speak to no one. We've seen this stuff over and over again and while it would obviously happen, it's not funny and that's the difference. Ghost Town tries to get a laugh every time it happens.

You know those films when people walk through a ghost and they get the chills, while this film has that, they put a little twist on it. The character sneezes. For whatever reason, it's never explained, but I guess when you're dealing with this subject matter you can start creating your own rules. Speaking of rules, Ghost Town follows the basic flow chart of every rom-com that has been out there before it. So don't really expect to see something new.

This is Gervais first leading film, after having successful television shows with "The Office" and "Extras" he is branching out to film. This is an interesting choice for his first outing, and while it does work, I would have liked to see him do something different. He sure has the comedic chops to tackle different forms of comedy. He has his own spin on things and it's all in the delivery. With comedic actors like Mike Meyers and Eddie Murphy failing to get laughs (Love guru, Meet Dave) it's nice to see the light shine on someone else. Someone that is currently not in the Apatow crew either.

As with the talking to no one bits, there is also the "tell me something that only I would know" routine. Although, I will give Koepp props, because this time it doesn't work out so well. I like Koepp as a director, Stir Of Echoes and the Trigger Effects are both well made films. This is his first time writing and directing a comedy. If you want to count Toy Soldiers as a comedy then go ahead, he did write that. He does a decent job of pacing the film with the laughs and adding the emotional punches when it's needed. As most rom-coms do, it takes a dramatic turn and the comedy goes away for about 15 minutes, Maybe you'll need a Kleenex, maybe not.

While Ghost Town does follow the basics for a romantic comedy, it does have the s slight advantage of having Ricky Gervais on it's side. If you've never seen his material, Ghost Town is an alright choice to start with, but I still recommend his television work over this. You'll get some laughs from here, Tea Leoni holds her own and Greg Kinnear has the hardest part in the entire film. So in the end, the film works and does what it's suppose to do.

I haven't seen Ghost Town sounds like I should give it a go

This is great idea for a thread - keep it up !

If you enjoy surreal films - I highly recommend you see this , even if you haven't seen his other movies.

Takeshis

It may be hard to find if you live in the U.S though.

Yeah, went on IMDB after and saw it there. Got some good press though, hopefully he doesn't phone in a cringe-worthy performance ala Stardust. Didn't check UK release dates though.

DAY 21: September 21st, 2008.

Life As A House

Life As A House tells the story of a young boy who must live with his father, who is building a house. His father was recently fired from his job and is divorced from his wife. Can he connect with his son who hates him? Will building this house somehow reconnect their relationship?

Yes, Life As A House is an emotionally manipulative film, but it works so well. Many people think the film lies on the shoulders of the son, Hayden Christensen, but in reality the film lies on the shoulders of the father, played by Kevin Kline. Kline delivers a heartbreaking performance with a character that is lovable and a prick. Christensen is still a bad actor, but here he is actually bearable. I think, for me anyway, it's all in his voice. I can't really stand it, it's like Chris Klein, it's just how he talks...annoying. Here he plays a kid who s full of hate...hmm, seems like Anakin. Only difference is here he has blue hair.

The film is funny and depressing and does not end on a happy note. There is a pivotal plot point that I won't discuss because it would ruin the emotional connection it needs you to have. The script is well written and Irwin Winkler's best and mos poignant film.

Despite it's missteps here and there, it is a good film and one to watch. It's a shame that it didn't get as recognized as it should have.

Nice TUS, I love that flick. Would you like a few suggestions of some others of that ilk that may or may not be ultra sappy? And yet you may enjoy?

DAY 22: September 22nd, 2008.

South Park: Bigger Larger & Uncut

I have an odd relationship with South Park. I never watch the show when it is on, yet I own the first two seasons on DVD. I find the show funny, but never watch it consistently enough to get the jokes that my friends make when they refer to an episode. I've never seen the film until now too. I get the appeal it has, but I just never really got into it.

The film, as is with any film adaptation from a TV show plays out like a longer episode from the series. This time there is a war against CANADA because of a film that contains foul language. Why a war? Well, the kids are swearing. That is it. The film is basically Matt Stone and Trey Parker's thoughts on the current state of censorship with the MPAA and the films they rate.

For a cartoon, yes it has a wide variety of curse words, which are spoken by kids in grade school. There is violence, blood and guts grace the screen in a hospital (with cameo voice acting from George Clooney) and the final war scene between Canada and the States. There is also a bit of nudity, which is their version of heaven.

I laughed more at the subtle humour then the in your face bits. I didn't find myself laughing at the language they use which is one of the main draws (damn those young teenage boys who like swear words). There is a smart film here, but when you listen to it, it sounds like it was written to two 15 years olds who think every bad word is funny.

Did I forget to mention it is a musical? The musical numbers are nice and sometimes funny. Hell, one earned an Oscar nomination. Sometimes the humour in the film is so random that it's funny, like a Skeet Ulrich poster above Satan's bed. I don't know who would think up of something like that, but it works.

If you're a fan of the show, this film will appeal to you. If not, I would suggest looking elsewhere. I dug it for what it was, but Matt Stone and Trey Parker have done better and funnier things.

Thanks for the review I am not a big fan so i probably will give it a miss

The other day i was listening to an interview with Russell Crowe, He was asked about a song South park did about him Punching people, he wasn't offended but said he hadn't seen the episode. he said his wife sometimes sings the song when she is annoyed with him

Yep, the biggest laugh I got out of Mr. Woodcock, was when he was running the hospital bed down the street, and hit the pothole. It was OK, but nothing I'd watch over, and over.

You didn't answer my horror question, but it's almost October, so I'm listing some horror movies, anyway. hehe

I will assume that you've seen the best of John Carpenter. Halloween, The Thing, They Live, and Escape from New York. I love too many horror films, so I'll just list five . . . for now.

The Changeling
Rosemary's Baby
Night of the Living Dead
Near Dark
Don't Look Now

Great flicks Des...

And here's my little contribution to your endeavor. I'm sure you've seen several of these but here goes any way.

The Grass Harp
Grand Canyon
Simon Birch
Music of the Heart
Finding Forester
Philadelphia
Powder
Mask
A River Runs Through it
October Sky
The Cider House Rules
Pleasantville
Terms of Endearment
Beaches
Postcards From the Edge
About a Boy
Wit
Secondhand Lions
Big Fish
Benny and Joon
Mr. Hollands Opus
Forrest Gump
Out of Africa
The Natural
Moonstruck
Love Actually
Billy Elliot
A Walk to Remember
The Mighty
Chocolat

I'm sure there's more I'm just to lazy to find them right now. Let me know how many you've seen if you have time and maybe I can try to pop in a few more for ya.

So how many people thought I stopped this?
Hmm? Show of hands???

Well believe it or not I AM still keeping up. I have a journal with dates and movies so everything is still in check...I just need to catch up.

Believe me or not, but here comes a ton of short reviews.