Meatwadsprite's Slow Review Thread

→ in
Tools    

What takes a book 20 pages to describe a movie can do with one frame.
A film illustrates on incredible levels of detail that books will never touch.
Not true. I like your enthusiasm for film, but not to the exclusion of books.

Books do things differently, they allow your imagination to picture things which sometimes are impossible to commit to film. The best books can tell stories deeper and more subtle and wider ranging than films could ever hope for. It's illustrated by the fact that there's been so few adaptations of books that have made great films.

Anyway, there shouldn't be a books versus films arguement - life wouldn't be as rich a place without either

A film illustrates on incredible levels of detail that books will never touch.
That's probably because most books don't illustrate at all; they describe, and rely on the reader for illustration. If someone doesn't think books illustrate all that well, they're really making a statement about their own imagination.

What takes a book 20 pages to describe a movie can do with one frame.
That's why a movie is faster, not why its more detailed. And in books, the details are front-and-center. A book can take an entire page to describe a room; and by reading it, you get to know every nook and cranny.

A movie, on the other hand, may simply show you the room, limiting your ability to see its detail in the background unless the camera chooses to focus on them.

Glory to the Filmmaker (1 viewing)

Plot : A movie about the director himself striving to make a whole new type of film.

Story : Unwilling to make anymore gangster movies Takeshi Kitano and his doll double create and star in various ideas for movies. There are about 6 different movies here , though one half of the movie is the largest one "The Promised Day". The majority of the film is incredibly creative but overall slow paced - with lots of scenes of people walking around. Even though it's very tedious at times - it delivers great action scenes and hillarious jokes when it needs to.

Visuals : There are plenty of "whoa!" moments throughout - including Takeshi's sword battle with a ton of ninjas. His doll also replaces him whenever pain would be inflicted upon him , which is an incredible idea and one of my favorite things about this movie.

Sypnosis : The first Kitano film I've seen , it's slow pacing detracts away from it's incredibly creative atmosphere - but it still remains a fun watch.

You've just got to see more Kitano films - you've got some real treats coming up ! Watch Kikujiro, Sonatine, Hana Bi first. There's lots of in jokes in Kantoku Banzai that you'll enjoy when you watch it again afterwards, then you can see all the rest too.

Glory to the Filmmaker sounds interesting. I've never heard of it before.

Brother (1 viewing)

Plot : Brutal gangster Aniki Yamamoto (Takeshi Kitano) flees to the united states once his gang is absorbed by a rival.

Story : There is some fun to be had watching this movie , but it's overpopulated with tons of empty characters. Aniki serves his gang as the best killer around - but one day his gang's leader is killed and they join another gang. Unable to adapt to the rivals Aniki goes to america where it dosen't take him long to go back to his normal routine. He starts his own gang that eventually evolves and becomes bigger untill it's eventual demise. Aniki also forms a friendship with a english speaker only that he meets in america - Denny : who serves as one of the biggest characters. The story's formation is very predictable at times and very unpredictable at others - it unfolds much differently from most films , but that isn't always a good thing here.

Visuals : Takeshi's film feature very little camera movement and that remains the same here - but the still shots are usually set up so perfectly that it's not that bad. The shooting is for the most very intense , but you can see a huge improvement in his later films.

Sypnosis : A weird sort of gangster movie , but lacking in it's english acting and character formation.

Welcome to the human race...
Interesting to see you're getting into Kitano movies. As christine said, you have to check out Sonatine and Hana-Bi. Both are great films.

Sunshine (1 viewing)

Plot : A team of a few humans have to deliver a bomb into the sun to reignite it before it dies out.

Story : You are instantly put into the near end of the long mission of the Icarus and it's crew as they approach the sun and attempt to reignite the dieing star. Obviously their mission doesn't go as planned and takes bad turn after turn and even though it may be a good story it's unfortunately made in a overall bad way. The characters are very short lived for the most part and don't do much but die and make a story twist - I can say by the end of the movie , I didn't really care about any of them.

Visuals : Danny Boyle foolishly blurs up the action scenes and doesn't take advantage of the massive amount of CG within the film. Once in awhile there are a some amazing looking scenes , but mostly what I see is untapped potential : and some amateur looking tricks to try emulate any sort of lacking emotion.

Synopsis : A poorly executed film with a good plot backing it up - not to mention a lot of great CGI.

Will your system be alright, when you dream of home tonight?
Once again you disagree with great reviewers HERE

I'm just saying, this is like when you reviewed No Country for Old Men

Once again you disagree with great reviewers HERE

I'm just saying, this is like when you reviewed No Country for Old Men
I give No Country for Old Men the benefit out the doubt though. It's a film that has some amazing parts and some others that I didn't like - similar to some of my favorite movies on their first viewings. When I see it again on DVD - that will be my final decision. Sunshine however , I only need to see once.

Originally Posted by meatwad
doesn't take advantage of the massive amount of CG within the film
I think this was more a case of utilizing the film's modest budget to create some stunning scenes of CGi but not relying on it, or even being able to afford to rely on it if he wanted. What about mood and atmosphere over characters?

Magnolia (5 viewings)

Plot : Intertwining events over the course of only one day change the lives and personalities of several characters.

Story : To start off this film's cast is huge : Julianne Moore , Tom Cruise , Jason Robards , Alfred Molina - and PTA's regulars : William H Macy , John C Reily , Philip Hall , and Philip Seymour Hoffman all star in this huge and gripping drama. Magnolia starts out by introducing some very strange coincidences which the narrator says happens all the time. The characters are introduced quickly through the first 40 minutes of the movie and you start to feel for them right off the bat as their problems all have you constantly thinking. There are many ways to interpret this movie and each situation in the film is incredibly put together : as far as pacing goes - this is one of the fastest movies out , but when it slows down it takes all advantages of it.

Visuals : I love how this movie is shot , lots of camera movement and always captures tons of beauty and character of it's surroundings. Consistency in quality is always high , but the musical parts of the film are where the cinematography shines the most.

Synopsis : I remember hating this movie the first time I saw it , but once your willing to accept a whole new type of film - this will blow you away.