What was the last movie you saw at the theaters?

Tools    

What did you think? Did you read/agree with Yoda's review?

The Golden Compass.. just 2 days ago. its good but im not satisfied. i cant find any twist yet.. cant wait for the sequel.

saw Golden Compass last night... It was so underwhelming... i couldn't beleive how much i was disapointed!

Celluloid Temptation Facilitator
Enchanted. It was ok but not as sarcastic as I wanted.

The lead female was GREAT.

The second lead was wasted in the role and buried beneath makeup. Too bad, because I love her normally.

My Janet from RHPS.

*sigh*

Tyger, Tyger, Burning Bright
The Mist...

Being a King fan, and knowing what has happened to many of his books once they are set to film, I was a bit concerned. However, I had heard good things about it, and knew it was done by the same person that did Shawshank Redemption (Frank Darabont), so I gave it a shot... and I am very glad I did.

I remember how well King let your imagination run wild by purposefully not telling you all the details about what is in the mist. The times you do see some "things" up close are pretty much the same things you end up seeing in the film, and what you do see in the film just makes you feel that much creepier about what else might be out there.

I wasn't all that impressed by Thomas Jane's end scene acting...

WARNING: "spoiled words ahead" spoilers below
...it reminded me too much of Brad Pitt's very odd acting at the end of Se7en... felt like he was either trying too hard, or something, but after gunning down everyone else in the car, including his own son, his weird reaction of maybe wanting to cry and scream out, to then just no emotion, and back and forth didn't feel like a normal response, at least not the way he acted it...

...but during the rest of it he did a fine job. As I'm sure many others would say, the character of Mrs. Carmody, played by Marcia Gay Harden, pretty much stole the show however. But that's not necessarily a bad thing, as that is how I think the character was meant to be.

One word of caution, if you couldn't sit through Arachnophobia, you might not want to see this flick either...

This was a good one to see in the theater, it does give a better idea of a grand scope to what is happening, but I think this would also make for a good "wait-til-its-on-DVD" choice for those who are unsure about spending the money on going to see it in a theater.

The Killing of John Lennon

Writer/director Andrew Piddington has made quite an achievement in carefully presenting this delicate subject. The film opens by informing us that the words spoken by Chapman are his own, and that all the settings are the actual locations. This upsetting and tragic story is not a dramatization, more of a reconstruction and at times feels like a documentary. It's a harrowing look at a crazed man who thought John Lennon was "the biggest phony of them all", singing about no possession in "Imagine" while having a vast amount of wealth. Chapman would later come to believe that he killed John Lennon to raise awareness for his favourite novel, JD Salinger's The Catcher in the Rye.

The idea to even make this film is questionable. One of Chapman's intentions was to be famous, so it's likely he would love the idea of himself being portrayed on the big screen. But the film is about a lot more than you might think. It says a lot about the relationship the average public can form with celebrities they've never met, about the influence fiction can have on a person, and about how easy it is to act out such a callous act of murder that can rock the entire world.

It's in knowing the inevitable outcome that make some scenes harshly unsettling. Like seeing Chapman purchase the murder weapon (you'll notice this echoes a similar scene in Taxi Driver, as does some of the narration), and afterwards making a phone call to enquire about how he can legally take it from his home of Hawaii to New York. Back then, if you wanted to take a firearm on vacation with you, all you had to do was fill out a form.

The film informed me of a few facts I was previously unaware of. While in New York, Chapman visited a movie theater to see Ordinary People. He felt so touched and moved by the film, that he actually changed his mind and decided to go back home to see his wife. He told her everything. But sixteen days later he returned to New York to fill out his original intention.

Jonas Ball's haunting performance is outstanding. He switches modes from suspiciously charming, to emotionally fragile, to genuinely terrifying, and does it naturally with such believability.

The moment in which the whole film is built around is indeed very intense. Never seeing the actor's face that plays Lennon, and just seeing photos and footage of the real Lennon throughout, works very effectively. The scenes after the murder are also quite hard-hitting. Seeing the reaction the New Yorkers had to Chapman, especially the officers at the police station, was powerful stuff. There's one moment where an officer is alone with Chapman and casually asks him, "So why'd you do it?", to which he simply replies, "I liked John Lennon."

The Killing of John Lennon is a disconcerting film that retells a horrifying incident. The film was never something I was going to enjoy, and the incident will always be something I will never understand. But I can understand why people won't want to see this film ever, which is fair enough. It was definitely worth the watch, but because of the subject matter, I won't be seeing it again for a very long time.

WARNING: "spoiled words ahead" spoilers below
...it reminded me too much of Brad Pitt's very odd acting at the end of Se7en... felt like he was either trying too hard, or something, but after gunning down everyone else in the car, including his own son, his weird reaction of maybe wanting to cry and scream out, to then just no emotion, and back and forth didn't feel like a normal response, at least not the way he acted it...

WARNING: "mist" spoilers below
What would be a "normal" reaction here? I understand your dislike, but I think that was the goal, to dislike the ending? I loved it and disliked it. OH well thats just m.o., but I did love the film.

Movie Forums Stage-Hand
uhmmm..the last one would be lions for lambs. i found it ok coz it struck me in some way. i am still wondering how it was supposed to end though because it left me hanging. maybe, its gonna have a sequel or something like that...

I am Legend, great acting by smith, good story, bad ending.. 4 out of 5 as well!

Aye boy don't spit in my drink!
Juno

The very played out story of "girl who shouldn't be getting knocked, getting knocked up" is more commonplace in modern-day cinema than Westerns and I wasn't sure if that would affect how well the movie worked for me. Turns out the worn out premise didn't have any negative effect on my feelings toward the movie whatsoever, not when characters are written so three-dimensionally with the perfect actors on hand to bring them to life. Ellen Page cannot be given enough credit for her work as the in-over-her-head teen struggling to make sense of it all. Her performance was one that either had me leaning off my seat in anticipation or leaning into it, scared of what was gonna happen, I was essentially putty in her hands. Kudos also to the director, Jason Reitman, for having the common sense to not try and do too much with the camera and just let the players do their thing. I just love this movie and could go on and on about this movie, but really you should just go watch it.

One last thing: Dug the soundtrack.

I've also watched "I Am Legend" and I think Will Smith did great in this movie... Much better than I-Robot...