Golgot's Reviews

→ in
Tools    

there's a frog in my snake oil
It's a good laugh, ay

It turns out my sis's mate is in a band that plays similar music to the film's. Gotta love that energy.

Cheers for reading Nebs (I think i may have gone a bit over-the-top with my reviewing style )

Last Year at Marienbad

An affair of timeless tragedy plots its own surreal demise

The symmetrical groundwork

At a luxurious health spa a man detaches himself from the baroque banalities of his surroundings and approaches a distant woman. They seem to hit it off. They should. They met one year before - or so he claims. She is amused, but non-commital. He is persistant, but adroitly so. And so they dance their way discretely amongst the ominous displays of power and wealth that lie on all sides. But only they seem to be playing a game which is in any way alive.

I could as easily wax lyrical about this film as spit on it from a great height for its pretention. But, given that it's concocted so well, i'll let this review fall under it's spell. I certainly did while I was watching it, after all...

The entangled maze

Suffocating and beguiling poetry, spliced with silence, greet us as we enter this film, only to be replaced by a stream a curiously consistant non-sequiters, both verbal and visual, as we are drawn further into its thrawl. It's an immediately dreamlike way to begin.

The tone never entirely sits still tho - even as the central players draw the world towards them, intriguing the viewer with their familiar yet obscure exchanges. The haughty realm of the health spa revolves around them in a wilful ballet of symbolism, lined with idle aristocratic sophistry, reeling ever more haphazardly as time throbs and fades with increasing subjectivity. You feel for the two would-be lovers at the centre. You feel you'd like to know which combination of reality you're presented with is real too.

It doesn't actually matter where they end up crawling through this marble-jungle though. What matters is that in this airless arena, they seem to be able to live off each other's breath, although rarely do they have the courage or foolishness to abandon the statuesque poise this stage requires of them.

To watch this is to be caught in a dream world that can be dazzlingly abstract - only occasionally alluding to matters which are bruisingly real. It's ultimately ludicruous by the end, but structurally ingenious none-the-less, and its outlandish pretentions don't dismantle the illusuory magic that has been spun. In fact, they sit at the heart of the curious conditions constructed here - and explore, mainly splendidly, and particularly stylishly, a very human conundrum.

Even though time and place are weaved to and fro, everything is suffused with a feeling of immediacy, and continuity. Resnais really has made reality dance to his tune.

Mother Night

An American by birth, a Nazi by reputation

The Plot

Having emigrated to Germany as a child, a now-successful playwright feels little concern at the rise of the Nazis. His world is the theatre, his only commitment is to the 'nation of two' he has formed with his actress wife.

But when the idea is put to him that he could use his way with words to counteract the Nazis, should their influence increase, he's intrigued. And that inner white-hatted-cowboy gets to gallop once the conflict really begins. He constructs compelling propaganda broadcasts for his Nazi masters, while also including coded messages at the behest of an US agent he rarely sees.

Heroism doesn't always get to shout its achievements from the rooftops though. His mission is lost in the fog of war, and he never did know what secrets he was transmitting anyway. With the back of the conflict broken, he limps home to an anonymous New York, but finds that repercussions will never be far away...

The Downfall

Nolte lays on a performance of continent-straddling excellence at the heart of this film. Whether talking in smoky assured tones of the Nazi's ultimate victory, or withering on the vine of a life separated from his beloved wife, he creates a character that makes the milieus explored sit up and live.

And that's key, because it seems bringing a Vonnegut book to the screen is no easy task. The ideas that shoot through this narrative and give it its final kick are all represented to good effect, but the budget really tells at points & the comedy sections seemed to be too clown-footed to really tap into his acerbic wit. (I would have loved to see the 'Nazi religion' flounderings portrayed with a straight face, underlining the menacing-if-ludicrous nature of the fringe tastes they represent.)

The solid supporting cast struggle to bring the story home in the face of all this grey face paint and wayward spotlights (plus a certain plot twist that stretches credulity a bit), but the overall journey is rewarding despite these intermittent dips.

Ain't no winners in war, but loving-and-losing leaves a mark that tells all the more.

Hey Nebs

Paying money to see Transformers made me so angry I just had to write about something i actually liked . Cheers for reading darl

A Canterbury Tale

A Very British 'Seventh Seal'?

The Furrow & The Brow

In darkest rural Britain a WWII villain is daubing innocent young girls with glue, leaving their hair quite unmanegeable, and a trio of plucky visitors intrigued about what to do.

Before the cad is caught there will be much smoking of honest pipes, devil-may-care displays of pep, and thoughtful overtures to a world where everything moves to a moderate but rhythmically-beautiful step...

The Rumination & The Holy Cow

This is definitely one of the quirkiest WWII propoganda flicks I've ever seen (axe-wielding dames in Went the Day Well included).

Our protagonists are first 'revealed' to us while in the thrawl of 'blackout' Britain's embrace - We get to know them via their perky voices, and next to nothing else. It's a brave approach by 'The Archers' crew in charge of this gig - and not the only playful approach they take to illuminating their pastoral whirligig.

When further light is shed on the plot, we find ourselves in the delightful dell of a parochial village - one that's frequently animated and sublimated with artful and loving skill.

You can forget the 'glue' mystery now if you like. Or enjoy it to the full. The plot curves like a country road rather than twisting out of control - it's the pastoral lifestyle that you're most meant to feel, not the retort of unsuspected blows.

War, worship & cinema 'discernship' get bundled up into a neat little travelling sack as events progress, but the reduction of rural 'sprawl' to tall propoganda tale still leaves the feeling that you've breathed in more fresh air than hot.

Not quite A Matter of Life and Death, but stands up well, and follows its own path as a wholesome holy tale

Great reviews GG... thanks for sharing.... 'tis nice to see you hanging out again....

AiSv Nv wa do hi ya do...
(Walk in Peace)

A system of cells interlinked
Hiya Tom! Good to see you reviewing again! How goes things across the pond?

Hey guys

All's good. Just floating about the place . Glad you're liking the reviews

Mainly been lolling around watching a series of 'British Cinema' nights that have been running here. Finally managed to get it together enough to write one up (with the aid of film-relevant traditional ales - I wonder what the 'right' thing to accompany Blade Runner would be? Snake-substitute & absinthe maybe? Hmmm, might start a thread...)

Just stumbled on this review an thought I might as well link it here as well. I'm so tidy

Gordon's Alive!

The People's Republic of Clogher
I used to be able to do the falsetto bit from the Queen title song perfectly. Probably have to violently cross my legs beforehand, now...

/Cupid Stunt

In a further act of online anal retention, i thought i might scoop up some of my Movie Tab quickies and slap em here too. Lord only knows why

---

Ten Canoes - Loved every last honey-drop of humour and humanity. A heady-playful journey into an alternative time, culture and cinema-story. Plus it's fun (You can even forgive the *****y subtitles - and the preponderance of ****-references too, if those things are liable to offend you )

London (1994) - A thoughtful and floating 'poetry documentary' on London circa '94. Rambling, 'sketchy', yet sure-footed (both visually and 'narrationally'), it turns over a lot of stones. I never knew that some of the Jamaican 'Windrush' arrivals were stashed under Clapham Common, or that the familiar iron railings seen around town are actually recycled WWII stretchers. All good - and you don't have to be a Londoner to dig the tone.

Blow - rewatched it with great ease. Depp's a good anchor for any shipwreck.

Sunshine - Watched it on a small screen, so can't judge the visuals properly (altho they did look reet swish). Story line was a scattered mess for me tho.

Pan's Labyrinth - Yas, a good'un. Bit weird centring a 15-rated film round a child's narrative and that, and the Fascist boss was a bit of a stock 'demon' in some ways. But good. Yas.

Borat (ect etec iksetyra) - Funniest horse tumble ever. (Was that spontaneous? It's all ruined if that weren't spontaneous )

A Mighty Wind - Only turned up to 5-n-a-half. Improvised beige. (Liked the colostomy-sales-song at the end tho)

Tadpole - Sex and Voltaire eh? With added dufflecoats? Hmm.
Presented with the clunky pretentiousness of teen espousing philosophy (deliberately? not sure), this short tale of a 15-year-old's love/lust for his step mum is still a fine watch. The faffing around in French and the facile quotes are annoying, but everything else is handled with an accessible lightness of touch. Bebe Neuwirth, Weaver and Ritter are all class, and the book-bruised kid-lead does well n'all.

The People vs Larry Flint - The details are involving, the characters are large, the direction is suitably pulpy for the most part, and hey, Courtney Love plays a good junkie to round it all off

The Long Goodbye - Almost dreamlike mystery somehow composed of violence and realism. Liked it. Might get round to seeing some of Altman's later stuff eventually. (But hey, i've seen Popeye, so i'm kinda 'replete' on that score )

Man on the Moon - Carrey wasn't quite as good as i remembered him in this, but that's just coz Andy Kaufman seems to be such an inimitable loon. Great tale of another big personality tho - and i've been bingeing on YouTube clips of the real deal ever since

Unknown White Male - Meandering amateurish doc, but suitably so. It follows a 30-something ex-stock-broker who's mysteriously suffered complete 'retrograde' amnesia - and has become something of a 'man-child' hippy instead.

Made by a friend, the film's best moments touch on the confusion and emotional wrenches suffered by the subject, during his initial adjustment, and by his loved ones during their tougher journey towards accepting this new individual. It's slow, and not exactly the Sartre-on-cinefilm it sometimes wants to be, but intriguing none-the-less. (Some say the film's a fake, but i'm not so sure. At the end of the day tho, the phenomenon exists, and i dare say it probably pans out this way a lot. Except without the ex-stock-broker's bankroll to finance a new lifestyle )

The Grifters - Low-key slinky number that smoulders plenty but never completely hits the spot. The leads are all pretty classy tho, and there's some decent suspended sentences, and pithy paybacks, along the way.

Cop land - Still the well-delivered slow-punch to the guts that i remembered. Bit cheesy in places but pretty unflinching in others. Shame Liotta goes into an over-acting spasm tho.

Night Watch - ultimately a daft horror/fantasy outing, but lovingly executed, and on a 'sub-Hollywood' budget too. Has enough little kinks and twists in the mix to keep it mainly intriguing-enough throughout. The playstation bits and the afterburn bus were firmly in the 'daft' category tho. Might go somewhere interesting in the trilogy as a whole, but more likely to be a Matrix burn-out all told.

Alien Resurrection - Revisited this a few times over the last few years, and haven't been disappointed. Not sure whether it's Weaver's alien-love-affair insistences, or some of the other devilish little twists in it, but i love nigh-on all the conceits. And it's good to see Jeunet applying his heartfelt brand of warm-dark-stylishness to this kind of realm.

Couple of chinks in the armour, and the occasional clanking sticking point, but it's still a pretty streamlined beast of a sci-fi flick overall.

(And dammit i got drawn into the first hour of Infernal Affairs after that. They're evil, these revisitable films )

Habla con Ella - My first Almodovar. Wasn't disappointed. Bizarre but grounded plot, high camp, strong female characters (even tho the main two spent most of their time in a coma). The 'hermitic' natures of the two male leads, and some curious motivations, might have made the plot a bit too disconnected, but there was a consistancy throughout somehow. Endearing despite the creepier aspects of the central plot.

A Letter to Three Wives (1949) - Well-handled ensemble piece with some verbal spark and pleasing performances. A fun little jaunt into small-town 'married strife'.

Me and You and Everyone We Know - A strange little doggy bag of 'art installation' nervous breakdowns and child voyages into the adult world.

In other words: it's quirky. And overall i enjoyed it - which sort of surprised me, as some of it was quite shrill, and other bits fairly trite. Perhaps it helped that there was some danger and groundedness lurking amongst its wandering clouds of fluff?

Ping Pong - A friendship. Ping pong. And - somewhere in the middle - a collaborative rivalry which may just bring out the best in everyone. (Will it? Well, you'll just have to watch and see )

(NB - includes the standard chorus of embittered coaches and unstoppable nemesises - but still conjures a fresh and breezey take on the well-worn sporting genre )

Enigma - Staid and a bit choppy in places, but in a thoroughly suitable way. A slow-burner overall, but a pretty decent one. And it almost manages to make mathmaticians sexy. Heavens.

Cypher - Reasonable slice of paranoid sci-fi twistiness that never unlocks any real magic. Worth a watch none-the-less.

Heat - Like a slick yet inept thief, this one always seems to grab my attention only to lose it. Repeatedly. For hours. That becomes very annoying. The finale works as a perfect summary of the film for me: It has tension and a nice little twist, but is also beset with lulls and ludicrous moments.

Ghost Dog - Erm 35%. A couple of nice conceits swamped by a flood of duff ones, and some made-for-tv standard execution. Waving a Rashomon novelette around does not a good film make.

Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing - Silly title, standard doc, but with some some earnest opinions and insights on display. The better talking-heads blew most of the fluff away.

The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean - Fun shaggy bear story from the Wild West. Stands on its hindlegs, and scratches a few fleas. Revels in its absurdities.

Tis good.

Copenhagen - Yay, a TV dramatisation of a play about two physicists. Having quantum crisises. During WW2.

Excruciatingly badly done in places, and excruciatingly ambitious in others, but really interesting subject matter. If you want to know something about how the first nuclear arms race was won, and how it twisted up some of the individuals involved, then it's an involving peek through the looking glass.

On all other fronts, it's like being hit in the face with a manuscript.

Only Human - I'm no big fan of farce, but this one was a tour-de-force. I guess the Israeli-Palestinian conflict sitting in its Spanish heart helped a lot. Loved the political sparks in the final bathroom clash, but everything from the gun-toting Grandad to the multi-coloured relationship doubts and redemptive bouts was good.

As was the accusation of duck murder.

I used to be able to do the falsetto bit from the Queen title song perfectly. Probably have to violently cross my legs beforehand, now...

/Cupid Stunt
That'd be some stage show

Originally Posted by christine
Just found your review thread and love your style!
Why thanking you very much

That last list was so stoopidly long i couldn't put enough pwetty pictures in it. I have split it into two stoopidly long posts instead...

---

My Name is Joe - Haven't been exposed to much Loachian emoto-realism, but this stuff cut good. Class performances and story all told. I was carried along by almost every battering wave.

*Note: Beware, all who wonder near, tho. The dialect can be like molasses eating beer *

Ghost World - Lah. That's some well 'framed' perky angst. I identified with most of the themes far too much - despite not being a rebellious girl or a 40-year-old nerd.

(I'm now slightly worried that i might be something in between )

Chopper
Very Aussie. Brash, jovial, violent, inventive. Liked it a lot. Grim in places of course, but in an utterly fitting way. The director seems to have 'reinvented' the story well - if perhaps 'glamourising' a touch too much in certain ways. Bana nails the role completely. (And the extras with 'Chopper' himself, and his commentary, are class additions incidently).

Glengarry Glen Ross
Powerful acting all the way. Some nice little twists n turns keep it interesting - altho its the stars doing their thing that really makes it work (not that it isn't surprising in the first place that a story about salesmen could be engaging). Translates the close-n-personal theatre-derived story to the screen in a very effective way.

The Grapes of Wrath
Despite a slightly 'folksy' start, it was much more knotty and up-for-a-scrap than i'd expected. Shame some of the more extreme examples from the original book (which i've read about) couldn't have made it past the censors of the day to give it an even real-er feel - and to increase its parable potential too.

The Roaring Twenties - Oh yes, fiesty fun indeed. Wonderful range of styles, and feeling of context, for such a fast-paced gangster-flick. Loved the Lang-with-bells-on montage which ushered in the final act. Great performances all round and barely a moment wasted in this high octane tale of an everyman taken down by tumultuous circumstances. (My only real gripe would be that Cagney's character slides a bit too easily into his role as a hood, but his sparky and crafted performance makes it all good). What can i say - highly recommended.

A Cottage on Dartmoor (1930) - I can see why Asquith (son of the PM dontcha know) had a rep for being overly-dramatic - but this slice of silent UK cinema has got a couple of things going for it. The assured handling of light and shadow in certain locations helps generate both believably prosaic and engagingly theatrical scenes. Very suitable application of burgeoning techniques like close-ups and narrative flashbacks give the film a pretty dynamic feel for the time - and all these elements complement the decent tale of jealousy-gone-wrong. Heavy on the simplisitic symbolism in places, but fully capable of being both tense and touching, it's worth a watch.

As an added bonus, you also get to see a crowd taking in a new 'talkie' (and even tho it's still 'silent' for the viewer, you get an idea of the shift that was taking place in the medium at that time)

Zulu - damn, why can i never resist watching this? Such a cannily conveyed piece tho - hammy mutton-chops sections and all . Love the way it isn't <EDITED> entirely a 'propoganda' piece - actually managing to be fairly even-handed to both sides at times, despite viewing events almost entirely from the Brit perspective etc (and only casting occasional caustic comments at the politics behind the situation). It shows both shamefullness and bravery in war, without (overly) glorifying the process.

And it's got some great lines...

'More spit man!'

(May have misheard that bit )

The 400 Blows - Ay, very decent, believeable tale. Thought for a while the basically flawless storytelling-n-acting was gonna be ruined by a pet hate of mine - the 'misunderstood-director-as-star' phenomenon. I was glad when the daydreaming, Balzac-reading, film-loving tearaway fleshed out his background to the psychologist [cementing the kid's presence in the role at the same time]. It made the character seem to stand up more in his own right, made his actions more understandable, and made him more of an 'everyman' too in some ways. Strong slice-of-life stuff overall.

Duel to the Death - Ahh, you know that when a film opens with ninjas leaping into a library with superfluous synchronicity - and then speed-reading the scrolls within - you're in for a silly ride. Just what i wanted

This early 80s wire-work fest laid the groundwork for the likes of Hero, with its accomplished fantasy action and well-filmed locations. But its big budget isn't exactly accompanied by a 'big' script. The strands of warrior-honour, political intrigue and thwarted love just about keep the fight->exposition->fight storytelling ticking over tho. There's even a little bit of pathos in there, but it's mainly swamped by the ludicrousness of it all.

And let's face it - this film is about the giant exploding ninjas, expensive false side-burns, comically bad music, and tree-hopping masters. And it's got those in spades

The Edukators - Bit contrite in places, and long-winded in others, but charming too at times. More life-journey than political pondering-session - which does unbalance the film slightly, in that it doesn't really settle on its slant until about halfway in. Well acted throughout tho, and well handled by the director on the whole. The 'available light' hand-held camerawork suits the film n'all.

The Rutles - Fun pre-Spinal-Tap parody-homage for the Fab Four. I found it floundered a bit in the middle tho (the songs seemed a bit overspun by that point, altho perhaps i just wasn't getting the references). Eric Idle's docu Pythonisms are a plus (and it's good to see the SNL crew of the time). After the 'tragical mystery tour' the jokes came thick and fast again. Loved Nasty's sit-in in the shower etc, and the 'missing trousers being an Italian sign for death'

Rififi - Definitely deserves its classic status. All three acts (the planning, famed 'silent' heist, and messy revenge aftermath) have some classy moments and periods of sustained tension.

The Arrow R2 DVD has some decent chatter with Dassin n'all. His insights into how the McCarthy blacklisting affected him, others, and even the Rififi script are well worth catching.

High Fidelity - Liked it better this time. I'm so definitely hitting 30's headspace

Confessions of a Dangerous Mind - Lots to enjoy. Kind of like Man on the Moon meets Leon. Kaufman seems to have got off to a good start with this kooky take on a gen-uine showbiz 'assassin'. Clooney does a pretty impressive job all told on his directing debut (altho i love how the cinematographer lets Georgey take full credit for the weirdly posterised/over-exposed flashback scenes )

Yeah, fun, without being a feel-good fix-up. Nicely handled too

A Moment of Innocence
- An Iranian director meets the policeman he stabbed 20 years ago during revolutionary turmoil. They make a film together, each taking a camera and filming a version of their younger selves.
It's a dramatisation. It's a revisitation. It's an exploration. It's all of those things and more. Yet, as one iMDB reviewer put it, everything is presented with a surreally accesible lightness of touch - a daily familiarity which belies the serious undercurrents.
It's both a youthful and a mature film in many ways. The sweetly-wrapped resolution is wonderful, but it does still leave you wondering exactly how this film-meets-fact journey was 'exposed'...

(What i mean by that is, i'd love to see some solid behind-the-scenes chat on how much of this was planned and 'real', on behalf of the old combatants - who also star in the film)

The 13th Warrior - I've got a soft spot for this film - coz i weathered a stranded night by sleeping through several sittings of it . It's strong points are still strong tho - the recreation of a Viking outpost works well - and the myth-weaving and imminant-horror-squeezing provide a fair few highlights. The rest is, well, just about passable, and only periodically laughable. The tone dips and flips, but when it works, it's involving.

Miller's Crossing - Nice ambiguousness to Byrne's central character. It's well shot and paced, with a decent switch-back plot to boot. There is a bit of scenery-chewing going on, but at least Finney and Turturro do it well

Gambit (1966) - fun daft romcom heist-ishness. Definitely worth a slump-in-front-of. MacLaine, Caine and Lom skip through the dappiness with aplomb and the plot has got a few tricks up its neat little sleeves

Cheers Nebs

Have you seen Ten Canoes btw? (I should really be down at the Oz film fest that's going on at the mo here... but what can i say... London's expensive )