→ in
Tools    

38. Parasite
37. How To Train Your Dragon

We've gone on holiday by mistake
True Grit?

Huh?

What?

Now it's not like it's bad but...I'm mostly just surprised that anyone could be bothered to remember it.
Some movies over perform critically if the director happens to be named Coen or Tarantino etc. When these guys nail it they REALLY nail it but sometimes they make very average movies that would otherwise be forgotten.

Last night I watched What We Do in the Shadows. I've mentioned on here that I was uncertain about watching it as I'm not big into Waititi's humour but that the format gave me some hope.

I thought it was very good, possibly a great comedy. The biggest compliment I can give is that I'll probably rewatch it soon with my brother and hope that he finds it funny too. It really utilises the mockumentary format to its maximum potential mixing the absurd with reality, the dialogue and jokes are brilliant, and I loved the special effects and they normally made me laugh out loud. All the little touches like the edited sequences of photos and stuff really add to it too, I can't really think of anything it could have done better for what it is.

52/62 seen now.

38. I̶n̶c̶e̶p̶t̶i̶o̶n̶

Damn!

38. Get Out
37. I̶t̶'̶s̶ ̶S̶u̶c̶h̶ ̶a̶ ̶B̶e̶a̶u̶t̶i̶f̶u̶l̶ ̶D̶a̶y̶

Arrg!!

37. Star Wars : The Force Awakens

What's the tag for strikethrough?
It's not s, and I don't see text styling options for editing (at least while on Android-mobile).

Victim of The Night
The answer is to dig deeper. There are loads of great movies from that decade, it's only that no one is watching them.

We've been lucky in a few of the preceding decades that a lot of our pop culture touchstones or hit films were frequently very good. Not so much the case anymore.

So the problem isn't with the movies. It's with the audience who isn't seeking out more divergent or underseen voices.

There are hundreds of movies worthy of this list that aren't even going to get within smelling distance of it.
But if you dig deeper in the 70s (and some people are saying the 2000s as well) you get the same thing, on top of the much larger number of obvious films.

What's the tag for strikethrough?
It's not s, and I don't see text styling options for editing (at least while on Android-mobile).
It's strike, /strike in square brackets.

[*strike]Like this, but remove the * from the first tag[/strike]

Victim of The Night
The only movie from my list so far is Melancholia. What kind of a list is this?
Well, maybe your list correctly predicts most of the top-end of this one.

I'll agree to this only if you give my nomination in the 30th HoF a perfect rating.
You weasel. I'll stick with my gut.

What was Harry Lime's suggestion? I must have missed his post.

Here you go:

On another note I was thinking about the hints. Wouldn't it be better for people to post their guesses as comments on the post with the hints within x hours of the hints being posted? That way it's secret to only the host and everyone could get points for it not just the smartest and fastest - thinking timezones and duplicate guesses here. Could be an idea for the next countdown. But it is fun to see everyone's guesses when you have Speling doing a great job with the hints.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

That's a fair suggestion. I'll likely just stick with the current format for the remainder of this list, but if we want to do it for future countdowns, that could probably work.

150 points, 10 lists
Uncut Gems
Director

Benny Safdie, 2019

Starring

Adam Sandler, Lakeith Stanfield, Julia Fox, Kevin Garnett

153 points, 11 lists
Moonrise Kingdom
Director

Wes Anderson, 2012

Starring

Jared Gilman, Kara Hayward, Edward Norton, Bill Murray

Trivia

Uncut Gems - The film was inspired by the Safdie Brothers' father's time working as a salesman/runner for a man also named Howard in the Manhattan Diamond District. The Safdie Brothers and their father are also Jewish and avid basketball fans.
Moonrise Kingdom - The dance scene on the beach was saved for the very end of filming, so that the two young leads would be comfortable around each other, and was done on a closed set (just the two leads, co-writer and director Wes Anderson, and the cameraman).

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Uncut Gems is very good. It doesn't stop even for a second and despite a flurry of things that should herald a bad movie (rap, sports, a lot of talking) the Safdies fiercely deliver a good film! Sandler's lifetime achievement as well. All that being said, I think I prefer Good Time.

Moonrise Kingdom is one of the weakest Anderson films from what I've seen. I haven't seen a handful of his early ones - looking pretty terrible when skimmed through some of them, so I expect them to constitute the new low once I watch them.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

That's a fair suggestion. I'll likely just stick with the current format for the remainder of this list, but if we want to do it for future countdowns, that could probably work.

Yeah that's what I was thinking - next countdown (if the host wants to).

Snap! Another watched twofer. And this time it's a really good one. Moonrise didn't wow me with its story, but I was very fond of the direction and style. Uncut Gems, on the other hand, was almost perfect. It's basically one long second act considering its plot progression, but it's a constantly nerve-wracking trainwreck that ends perfectly.

Seen 38/64.

MoFo Reviewers

Uncut Gems

The performances are also quite strong. Sandler's Howard is a desperate, sweaty man with just enough charisma and banter that you can believe he had enough going for him to build a business that would attract upscale clientele. Something that the film portrays really well is the fact that Howard will never really "win". You could hand this man a million dollars on a golden platter and a week or a month later he'd be broke and/or in debt again. He is the kind of personality that thrives on risk taking, and sooner or later you just don't survive a certain series of losses.
Read the full review here.

Moonrise Kingdom

Let's begin with the most important factor that made this movie worthwhile: "cinematography!" The camera work is so well controlled and the visuals are so perfectly orchestrated, that I can't believe how this film didn't get more credit for its cinematography at the more important award contests (it got some more recognition at smaller film festivals and award ceremonies, though). But we shouldn't really worry about that anymore, because I tell you know that this movie has some of the best technique of movie photography of last year!
Read the full review here.

Reply to Topic