The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
One vote. Silence was my #3. Not just Scorsese's best from this decade, but in my estimation one of his best overall. I'll just re-up what I wrote about it in my most recent Top 100 (one of only three 2010s films to make the list, so spoilers for the first two titles in my ballot...maybe):

#80. Silence
(Martin Scorsese, 2016)

"I pray, but I am lost. Am I just praying to silence?"

I suppose I can see how this may get underrated both within Scorsese's output and on its own terms - in the context of a filmography filled with electrifying tales of crime and chaos, an extremely patient and lengthy period drama that addresses matters of faith using methods that are literally and figuratively torturous is not exactly going to win over everyone. However, I'd argue that this difference is what distinguishes it for the better as Scorsese explores a whole other filmmaking mode in telling the tale of two Portuguese priests (Andrew Garfield and Adam Driver) traveling to Japan in search of their allegedly-apostatised colleague (Liam Neeson) and coming face-to-face with the very real danger posed by practicing Christianity in 17th-century Japan. Such a premise could settle into a simple narrative about the inherent immorality of religious persecution that positions Garfield and Driver as the film's unambiguous heroes, but what follows is instead a more complex interrogation of what faith means - a source of unwarranted personal pride? A weapon wielded by colonising forces no less brutal than the persecutors who resist? A belief that is tainted by misunderstanding and miscommunication on the part of both believer and skeptic? Even a filmmaker as thoroughly Catholic as Scorsese understands that there is nuance to the subject even (especially?) when one side is shown using lethal force against the other. The collection of calmly-depicted diatribes between Portuguese and Japanese not only shows Scorsese's own influence from Japanese cinema but speaks to the importance of the material above all else. Silence may not move like a Scorsese film usually moves, but deep down it still feels very much like his.

2005 ranking: N/A
2013 ranking: N/A
As for Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri...nah. I've seen it twice and the first time was right around the time that the initial positive reactions were starting to curdle so it was hard not to think that McDonagh's attempt at offering an outsider's perspective on the complexities of American life was reaching further than it could grasp and was more often than not a failure - as black comedy, as social commentary, as morally grey tale of violence begetting violence. At least The Banshees of Inisherin showed he still had the juice, but that's now starting to look like the odd one out amidst a very underwhelming filmography.

I forgot the opening line.
Man - no matter how good my hint guesses, I remain luckless...

44. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri - For some reason I've yet to really click with this film - when I watched it I didn't love it and I didn't dislike it either. I could see that Frances McDormand delivered a really powerful performance, but for some reason I wasn't touched like I was probably meant to be considering how sad the situation is - a heartbroken mother angry at the police for not doing enough to catch the man who killed her daughter. I like Sam Rockwell and Woody Harrelson as well, but I'm not sure they were the best fit for what this film was meant to be. This one is big enough for me to have it on DVD, and as such the day will most probably dawn when I give it another chance - because half the time I'll watch a film like this again and it'll really hit me. Then I can't believe I didn't feel it the first time around. But for now, this is a no-show on any 'Best Of the Decade' list for me personally.

43. Silence - Saw this once and really liked it, and I've been meaning to watch it again ever since. It was a huge recommendation to me from a friend, and if not for him I probably would not have seen Silence yet - but he's a big fan of everything Scorsese, and the fact that this came and went with nary a murmur meant he was only going to do more to promote it. With me he succeeded (he even bought me the DVD) and yeah, it didn't deserve to be ignored the way it was. I think the reputation of Silence will build as the years go by and more people discover it. A nice contemplation of what renouncing your faith under torture really means if you don't renounce it in your heart and your soul. A very interesting top 50 choice indeed! Not on my ballot though.

Seen - 51/58

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I think Three Billboards is the weakest McDonagh film I've seen. I enjoyed parts of it, but I think some of the more over the top stuff put me off. I agree with Sean that I'm interested in revisiting it having loved Banshees which handles the absurd so incredibly well for me.

Haven't seen Silence but always wanted to. Will get to it soon.

Just watched The Shape of Water, and enjoyed it to a certain extent. Lots to like and has its fair share of magic but it seems constrained in some ways by its more mainstream/studio-like elements.

It is interesting to see World of Tomorrow come up early and seeing just how much further away It's Such a Beautiful Day is going to land.

What's surprising me more is, assuming The Lighthouse is still coming (which it's popularity relative to The VVitch here isn't a given for me, so maybe it actually missed the countdown completely), is it also looks like it's going to land very far from its associated film. Ex Machina landing in the middle makes it feel less surprising wherever Annihilation lands (ahead or behind).

I'm not as surprised by the discrepancy between The Act of Killing and The Look of Silence (though I was hoping the latter would have slipped in towards the bottom of the countdown as a dark horse).

I'd say something about Hereditary and Midsommar, but I don't feel the appeal of Ari Aster other people do and prefer Hereditary, so I think in my mind, until it shows up, I'm just assuming Midsommar barely missed the countdown (which means, in reality, it's probably in the top 10).

Seeing Mark's best of 2017 list that gbgoodies posted on the last page has left me with a question...Does Paddington 2 make it? Isn't it the best movie of all-time? I don't know if I would go that far but I did have a great time when I gave in to the hype machine and checked it out.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

A system of cells interlinked
41. Interstellar?
Best clever guess in the entire thread. Pretty sure this is right.

With Holden and Iro's praise for Silence, I really need to watch it again. I recall liking it, but not much else beyond a few really memorable moments in the film.

A system of cells interlinked
I have been waiting for @Thief's thoughtful and extensive deep dive into one of his favorite films of all time, Interstellar. As an avid listener of his podcast, one grows tired of his constant divergence into praise for the film every 3 minutes in each and every episode...

"Psycho is pretty good, but it could learn a few things for Interstellar."
"Pretty sure Citizen Kane ripped off Interstellar."
"The Godfather lifted all its dialogue from Interstellar."

And on and on. We get it, man! You love Interstellar!

139 points, 10 lists
Dredd
Director

Pete Travis, 2012

Starring

Karl Urban, Olivia Thirlby, Lena Headey, Wood Harris

141 points, 10 lists
Melancholia
Director

Lars von Trier, 2011

Starring

Kirsten Dunst, Charlotte Gainsbourg, Kiefer Sutherland, Charlotte Rampling

Trivia

Dredd - In a recent interview recollecting on this movie, Karl Urban said he refused to smile or take the helmet off at any point during the movie's filming or even in between takes. He spoke with an American accent and kept a scowl the whole time and stayed serious to keep in character. At one point, a cast member made a joke causing laughter on the set, and Urban gave him the 'Dredd' stare, prompting the person to immediately apologize.
Melancholia - The painting seen in the prologue is Pieter Breughel's Hunters in the Snow (1565). This painting also prominently featured in Andrei Tarkovsky's Solaris (1972). Lars von Trier often stated Tarkovsky greatly inspires him. He even dedicated Antichrist (2009) to the Russian director.

The Rodent will be delighted that Dredd has shown up. I know he's a huge fan so I was getting a bit nervous for him the further in we've got. I've not seen it, like a few action films on this list.

I've seen Melancholia once, a few years ago now with my brother. I enjoyed it but of course, it's quite bleak and depressing, I think in terms of achieving what it sets out to it succeeds. It's a film that's lingered in my mind a lot since I watched it, which I think is a sign of its strengths. Von Trier doesn't seem like the type of director that I would like on paper, but this film worked for me so I should get to more of his stuff and see.

Reply to Topic