The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

48. Ash Is Purest White
47. Lucky

*sigh* Done me so much scrapin' over the past cpl of weeks Imma gonna need a new barrel I think

Ex Machina was on my list of contenders and I'd probably place it around 45-50.

I liked Black Swan for the most part until it lost me in the latter stages.

132 points, 8 lists
John Wick
Director

Chad Stahelski, 2014

Starring

Keanu Reeves, Michael Nyqvist, Ian McShane, John Leguizamo

133 points, 7 lists
The Act of Killing
Director

Christine Cynn, 2012

Starring

Anwar Congo, Herman Koto, Syamsul Arifin, Ibrahim Sinik

Trivia

John Wick - According to the directors' commentary, when they shot the top-level nightclub fight sequence, Keanu Reeves had the flu, and was running a 104° fever. "You couldn't even get him to sit down," said Chad Stahelski. "He just did take after take."
The Act of Killing - The co-director, as well as 48 other members of the film crew in 27 different positions, are credited as 'Anonymous' because they still fear revenge from the death-squad killers. The 41-year-old Indonesian who shared directing credit with Joshua Oppenheimer and Christine Cynn, could only wonder, 'How could these people tell these horrible stories so lightly and so proudly? You just want to challenge them right away. But you have to keep telling yourself to be patient, to let them tell the story the way they like. Because then we can learn something about the whole system of destruction.'

MoFo Reviewers

John Wick

As a power fantasy character, John Wick isn't even that hard to empathize with, even given his criminal background and even given his extremely questionable relationship with dogs (especially given that ending). That's rather tough to pull off and I would attribute a good amount of that to a combination of tone, pacing, and world-building.
Read the full review here.

Th Act of Killing

The Act of Killing isn't only one of the greatest documentaries I've ever seen, it's one of the best films I've seen in months. A haunting testament, in which brave filmmaker interviews self proclaimed Indonesian gangsters who par took in the 1960 killing of communists. What separates this from other documentaries, is these men are asked to recreate these events in anyway they want, and what follows can shake a man to his core. An aged gangster named Anwar is the second director (in a sense) goes from boastful to believably humbled, in a micro level the ending is satisfying.
Read the full review here.

mark f

John Wick (Chad Stahelski, 2014)
=
The Act of Killing (Joshua Oppenheimer, Anonymous & Christine Cynn, 2012)
+ (160 min extended version)
The Act of Killing made mark f's ballot at #14:

2. Nightcrawler (#55)
5. 1917 (#86)
14. The Act of Killing (#47)
20. World of Tomorrow (#99)
24. Behemoth (one pointer)

Hmm, I was pretty underwhelmed by John Wick.
It's a decent throwback to the 80s hero with the relentless march of victory thing, with modern choreography and photography thrown in for good measure, but even as an action lover, it left me wondering what the hype was about.
Reeves is good for once as well, and seemed to be having fun with this movie. Most of his other recent movies he seems on auto-mode.
Hard to believe it's now onto its fourth movie already and its only been around for 7-8 years.

John Wick was fun enough but never in contention for a spot on my list but I did think it would probably end up higher than this. Haven't seen The Act Of Killing but hope to one day.

Seen: 45/54 (Own: 29/54)
My ballot:  

Faildictions  

Welcome to the human race...
One vote. John Wick was my #11. Though I initially gave it a mere
when I first reviewed it on here years ago, I think that might have been a simple matter of shrugging it off as another in a long line of post-Taken exercises in giving ageing stars their own revenge thrillers to keep themselves relevant. However, I have since come to realise just how much this film works to distinguish itself from its peers by actually having a physically adept star like Keanu Reeves do much of his own action and stunts, giving him a straightforward narrative full of well-worn archetypes carried by sturdy performances, and building a simple but layered world of assassins who live by codes of honour and use unique transactional systems involving gold coins and grand hotels. The influences are obvious, perhaps - everything from Le Samourai to The Killer and even to Highlander is checked in creating this quasi-fantastic labyrinth that would only get expanded upon in later films but which is kept nice and taut in this initial outing about a man who just wants justice for his beloved puppy. Shame about that Marilyn Manson song, though, but no film is perfect.

I've seen The Act of Killing once and thought it was great. If any documentary deserved to make this list, it's definitely this one as it takes what sounds like the most tactless and insensitive premise on paper - track down the leaders of Indonesian death squads and invite them to cinematically recreate their murders - and uses it as a means of examining the mentality it takes to not only participate in a genocide but regard it with personal pride. Far from the easiest film to watch, but undeniably powerful.

I'm probably going to be unavailable for most of the weekend, to give any really comments, but The Act of Killing was my #1.
And I guess it's safe to reveal my #5 was the companion piece, The Look of Silence, which was started first, but released second.

The Act of Killing felt like a crazy, lightning in a bottle type of documentary.
It wasn't until I realized we crossed the 50th mark that there was a chance it wasn't going to make the countdown. Glad that wasn't an oversight.

My real question - did Crumbsroom completely forget about this movie was on his ballot? (After saying in the S&S poll reaction thread that it might be the only movie of the past decade worthy of being compared to some of the greatest movies of all time).

The Act of Killing was #8 on the MoFo Top 100 Documentaries.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Believe it or not, my brother was working on a similar story he wanted to write before John Wick came oput, and John Wick ended up being one of his favorite movie series. I remember how mad he was when 3 ended the way it did, and now he's impatiently waiting for 4. I can't say that it's one of my favorite movie series, but the first one had a lot of strengths in the revenge thriller department, and the world building was added on for the sequels, making them each improvements.

Seen 30/54

53 straight....

Really love the John Wick trio, JW3 was one of the most entertaining trips to the theater in recent memory.

After suffering through years of horrible shaky cam action sequences in films, you have no idea how happy I was to actually be able to see what was happening in John Wick. There weren't unnecessary cuts, or awkward angles to hide obvious stunt performers. It also proudly sported an R-rating instead of cutting content to grab a more marketable PG-13 like many of its peers. It was ridiculous, it was stylish, but most importantly it was a lot of fun. I don't really like either of its sequels, but the original Headshot: The Movie John Wick is one of my favourite action films of all time. It was #4 on my list.

Seen: 37/54

My List: 9
03. The Raid (2011) - #100
04. John Wick (2014) - 48
06. The Hunt (2012) - #57
09. Edge of Tomorrow (2014) - #68
10. The Raid 2 (2014) - #75
14. The Martian (2015) - #82
15. Hereditary (2018) - #96
18. What We Do in the Shadows (2014) - #56
20. Cabin in the Woods (2011) -#88

Ah damn. I thought about The Act of Killing for a guess… but yeah, I haven’t seen it. Even though it’s Danish produced and a real interesting concept. I’ve seen some of it though. But something about it made me uninterested along the way. That I don’t really understand. But it was way back on release, so maybe I’ll think otherwise now. I’m interested in both this and its sequel.

I love the John Wick series for what it is. I actually disliked it on first watch, having similar thoughts as Iro. I thought it might just be a Taken rip-off and even that was kind of a riff-off on a classic revenge thriller but somehow worked. Anyway, on second watch, I was totally in with the vibe of the film. Just a plain old bare knuckled revenge film. I enjoy the other two as well and look forward to the fourth. Love that my man Dan Laustsen has been the cinematographer and every one from the second film and forward.

The Act of Killing was great, I believe it was on my documentary ballot.

I'm a fan of Reeves and action films but view John Wick as very average.

Reply to Topic