The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
I am thinking Boyhood and Ex Machina, both of which have already been guessed.

They must be Enemy and Ex-Machina and I'm thinking how I could forgot Enemy when I'm preparing my ballot.

I had a shitty day yesterday and wasn't able to properly connect here, but here it is...

Stats: Pit Stop #5

Decade Breakdown
  • 2010 = 7
  • 2011 = 6
  • 2012 = 4
  • 2013 = 4
  • 2014 = 6
  • 2015 = 9
  • 2016 = 6
  • 2017 = 1
  • 2018 = 2
  • 2019 = 5

2015 retakes the lead, while 2017 finally shows up. Three years are tied with 6, also.

Repeating Directors
  • Gareth Evans = 2
  • Anthony and Joe Russo = 2
  • Taika Waititi = 2

Just three repeating directors, but there are bound to be more soon, I guess.

Genre Breakdown
  • Action = 7
  • Romantic comedy = 2
  • Romantic drama = 1
  • Thriller = 9
  • Crime = 2
  • Comedy mystery = 1
  • Science fiction = 4
  • Comedy drama = 7
  • Horror comedy = 2
  • Drama = 9
  • Horror = 3
  • Western = 1
  • Fantasy = 2

As far as genres go, thrillers caught up with dramas in this last stretch, while action and comedy dramas get a bit closer:

We also have roughly eleven films not from the US, and four animated films so far.

Thanks for the pit stop @Thief!

I managed a rectification watch last night, as my wife and I watched Manchester by the Sea. What a cheery, fun film!

*Walks into the sea*

In the past few days have also watched LA LA Land and Whiplash, which are yet to appear, and also Personal Shopper, which I doubt makes the list at this point.

128 points, 8 lists
Black Swan
Director

Darren Aronofsky, 2010

Starring

Natalie Portman, Mila Kunis, Vincent Cassel, Barbara Hershey

129 points, 13 lists
Ex Machina
Director

Alex Garland, 2015

Starring

Domhnall Gleeson, Alicia Vikander, Oscar Isaac, Sonoya Mizuno

Trivia

Black Swan - Darren Aronofsky told journalist Kim Masters in a radio interview (KCRW's "The Business" broadcast February 14, 2011) that Natalie Portman not only trained for a year as a dancer to prepare for the role, but paid for the training out of her own pocket until the film found investors. Aronofsky attributed the film getting made at all to Portman's dedication and enthusiasm.
Ex-Machina - Director Alex Garland has described the future presented in the film as "ten minutes from now," meaning, "If somebody like Google or Apple announced tomorrow that they had made Ava, we would all be surprised, but we wouldn't be that surprised."

MoFo Reviewers

Black Swan

Natalie Portman stars as Nina Sayers, a young ballet dancer who dreams of being The Swan Queen in Swan Lake. To be The Swan Queen, you must embrace the good and bad sides of the Queen - the White Swan and the Black Swan. Nina is a pro at being the White Swan -- thanks to her years of always working towards perfection, aided by her destructive home life given in large part to her mother, a failure in the eyes of the world. However, being the Good Girl has severely contained and restricted Nina's dark side -- but it's there. An extreme white has to have an extreme black. When she goes to see the director about landing the part of The Swan Queen, he tries to seduce her with a kiss - she bites him. She refuses his kiss of death and lands the role of The Swan Queen.
Read the full review here.

Ex-Machina

Despite this, AVA steals the shows. Alicia Vikander is a classically trained ballerina and appears to be the perfect choice as AVA. Her control of body movement, articulations and facial expressions convey an undercurrent of artificial life nearing the precipice of human facsimile. I just loved this performance. AVA is a beauty, that in spite of her exposed workings, still manages to appeal to the human range of emotions.
Read the full review here.

mark f

Black Swan (Darren Aronofsky, 2010)

These are the latest in my most recent batch of Best Picture nominees which I've seen. My rating for Black Swan probably is not a surprise to those of you who know me. On the other hand, I realize that many people here give it
which I find silly. Now, sure, you go ahead and love your movies which you love, but this movie has almost no back story... it has but they go out of your way to cover it up and that makes it silly. It presents itself as a film about various women who all have ruined lives in one way or another and then it proceeds to ruin their lives even more. Why are their lives ruined in the first place? No one knows. Why do the things happen which happen in the film? Again, they don't happen for any logical or even illogical reason. They just happen because the writer/director has conceived of a spectacular finale which is basically a psychological horror film a la Polanski, but Polanski would never allow such obvious plot points in his films. Even so, the flourishes during the last part of the film do transport the flick into a solid horror film and make it worth watching.
Ex Machina (Alex Garland, 2015)

Computer programmer Domhnall Gleeson comes to his boss’s remote laboratory to examine and “ test” A.I. Alicia Vikander.
Neither film made mark f's ballot.

Black Swan was #25 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium while Ex Machina was #30 on the MoFo Top 100 Science Fiction Films.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

2 more seen, and none from my ballot.

Ex Machina should absolutely have been on my ballot, as I think it is easily one of the best sci-fi films made in the 2010s. Really, I have no excuse, as looking at my ballot today, there are easily 5 films I could have cut to make room for Ex Machina. Fantastic stuff, and I have seen it several times.

Black Swan is good, and I recall really liking it when I first saw it, but didn't like it quite as much on a second viewing.

No building sandcastles today as although I've seen both I actually voted for one of them

Black Swan was on my long-list but needed a rewatch and although I ordered a copy it sadly didn't quite arrive in time (literally was a day or two too late) - so despite actually uprating it slightly on that rewatch it sadly wasn't able to be in contention and I'm still not sure it would quite have figured anyway. Happy to see it make it though.

On the other hand Ex Machina was never in doubt for a spot on my ballot, eventually landing at #3. It is of some comfort to me that as bad as my memory undoubtedly is there apparently are those with worse ones out there (sorry Seds, simply couldnae resist)

Seen: 44/52 (Own: 28/52)
My ballot:  

Faildictions  

Black Swan is great, visually haunting and neatly acted, especially by Portman. It's probably my favorite from 2010, or very close to the top at least. Still, it didn't make my list. Had it hovering around, but I'm pretty sure I cut it pretty early.

Ex Machina is one I hung onto for a little longer, but eventually let go as well. Still, I think it's immensely thought-provoking and well acted. Here is a review I wrote in 2017 back when I first saw it.

So, here's where I'm at, including the chances for the rest of my list...

Seen: 42/52

My ballot:  

Hated Black Swan and really don't like Aronofsky. Definitely one of those directors who I feel you either love or hate.

Ex Machina is a good film but I wasn't blown away like some people, I've only seen it once so I should probably revisit it at some point.

42/52 seen.

I thought Annihilation would be my Garland representative, but after finally rewatching Ex Machina I had to have it on my list. Probably the reason I remain such a huge fan of both Isaac and Vikander. I love the design of the house, and the soft lighting of the cinematography that makes it all so beautiful. I think it is wonderfully written. Very funny and intriguing throughout. Garland is one of the exciting young directors working for me. It was my 24.

Aronofsky is pretty hit or miss with me, like within the same movie even. Black Swan is a good representation of that. I liked it more the second time, much more actually. Still not nearly enough to make a stacked list though. Glad it’s here without my help, as I knew it would be.

Schweet

So glad it broke the top 50.

I think for me having it at #1 on my list, Ex_Machina isn't just the best of the decade, it's one of the greatest sci-fi movies ever made.
Tight scripting, great acting, photography is superbly done, and it's thought provoking as well in terms of real life, real world technology and what it means to be dabbling in such tech.

1: Ex Machina (2015) - 49th
2: Bloody well better had do
3: 100%
4: Bloody well better had do
5: Joker (2019) - 60th
6: 100%
7: Prisoners (2013) - 69th
8: 100%
9: The Shape of Water (2017) - 52nd
10: 100%
11: Shutter Island (2010) - 76th
12: 100%