The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I see I got quoted again when it came to What We Do in the Shadows, though that's a fairly half-hearted
in my recollection and Waititi's last few projects have soured me enough on him as a creator that I'm hesitant to go back even as far as something that seems to be the consensus pick for his best film - still, you never know. Nightcrawler is very good and it might well have made my list if I'd revisited it to see how it holds up.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I saw Nightcrawler a few years ago, and I remembered that it was a good movie, but I couldn't remember enough about it to know why I haven't had a desire to rewatch it. I rewatched it for this countdown, and I still think it's a good movie, but now I remember why I haven't rewatched it since then. It's too dark and disturbing for my taste, so it never had a chance to make my list, but it deserves its place on this countdown.

I haven't seen What We Do in the Shadows, and I doubt that it's my type of movie.

I forgot the opening line.
56. What We Do in the Shadows - I'm just realising that I didn't vote for a single Taika Waititi film despite my love for Boy (2010), What We Do in the Shadows (2014), Hunt For the Wilderpeople (2016), Thor : Ragnarok (2017) and Jojo Rabbit (2019) - he had a pretty good decade! Well, I overlooked this film for my ballot because I often do that when it's a film I've included in a previous ballot, and this was on my Comedy Countdown one. It's a great, great comedy and very well deserving of being on this 'Best 100' list. Jemaine Clement is another actor and filmmaker who is a favourite of mine as well, so the two of them teaming up was sure to produce something I'd admire, and this one is very funny and very clever - as always. It's a lock for any top 50 of the decade I'd make, and a possibility to sneak into my 25 if I were to find fault with any of my current picks (doubtful though - I got to the stage where it was too hard to remove any of the 25 I have there.) Perhaps, seeing as someone else also voted for my 1-pointer, it should have the 25th spot. That one point would have actually lifted the film a spot or two.

55. Nightcrawler - A very good film that I should actually watch again, having seen it just the once. Jake Gyllenhaal has a certain talent for giving us characters who definitely trend towards "anti-hero" - you can actually see with your eyes that there's an undercurrent in this freelance videographer's subconscious that goes to dark, dark places. As a statement on journalism as a whole, and the obsession humanity has with recording itself, this is a film that doesn't hold back. After a good few years I expect that this will be a very decent second watch. I think I've seen Roman J. Israel, Esq., but does anyone know what happened to Dan Gilroy after this great debut? He's not exactly getting his 10 years worth of peak creativity as an artist, and I wonder if he just had this one great film in him.

Seen : 37/46

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I've got The Lighthouse for the #53 hint.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I have nothing but love for WWDITS. It's my 16.

Jagten is my 8. I think I have said this before, but will say it again. If you have watched Jagten, I would highly recommend the documentary Witch Hunt 2008, which deals with a similar issue.

54. Hidden Figures
53. Nocturnal Animals

54. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children
53. Only Lovers Left Alive

Yes, What We Do In Shadows is a bit like misplaced. I've seen it, I liked it but like many of you said I don't think it would appear in that high position. I haven't seen Nightcrawler, but I heard it many times and I can say that it is not that surprising to see it now.

I'm not good at that guess job and I like the previous guesses but I'm gonna try that one.

54. Coco
53. Let Me In (But most probably it is Only Lovers Left Alive)

124 points, 8 lists
Under the Skin
Director

Jonathan Glazer, 2014

Starring

Scarlett Johansson, Jeremy McWilliams, Lynsey Taylor Mackay, Dougie McConnell

125 points, 13 lists
The Revenant
Director

Alejandro González Iñárritu, 2015

Starring

Leonardo DiCaprio, Tom Hardy, Domhnall Gleeson, Will Poulter