The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

A system of cells interlinked
I expect 'Inception' is too early? for #56?

I wondered if #57 could be something like 'I Origins' but I doubt enough people have 'seen' that one. Pun intended.
I've seen it, but I highly doubt that flick would make the list, especially this high up. I'd rank that somewhere in the middle of Marling's work, and I adore Marling.

I've seen it, but I highly doubt that flick would make the list, especially this high up. I'd rank that somewhere in the middle of Marling's work, and I adore Marling.
Totally agree. It's not a great film. I was just stuck for ideas. That reminds me, I wonder if 'Another Earth' will make the list, that's a fine underrated movie.

A system of cells interlinked
Totally agree. It's not a great film. I was just stuck for ideas. That reminds me, I wonder if 'Another Earth' will make the list, that's a fine underrated movie.
If any of her films had a shot, it would be Another Earth, but I would think it would be in the 80-100 range if it made it. I don't think it has the legs to appear this high up.

I considered both Another Earth and Sound of My Voice, but cut both. I agree that if they had any chance, they would've come up already.

I couldn't agree more. And although violence, gore, and sadism are perhaps the most annoying inclusions, there are several other common deficiencies, such as the seemingly obligatory deviant sex scenes.
Which films are we talking about here? Asking for a friend.

I've actually seen one of the last 4 films! I saw Inside Out with a bunch of nutters (myself included) about 6 years ago. I thought it was ok. Quite a smart film, but not really my thing. It passed the time pleasantly but I remember nothing about it and it is, after all, a cartoon for kids (hi MV )

Haven't seen (and have little interest in) Joker, but I wouldn't be against watching it. I think my love of Taxi Driver and my loathing of King Of Comedy mean I can't really see any point in putting myself out to do so as it feels like I'll either see a version of a film I love much more or a version of a film I can't stand, neither of which have any pull for me. None of this is the films fault.

I have always wanted to see The Hunt (as that comment from mark f shows) but I haven't and I probably won't.

Zero Dark Thirty I didn't have much interest in (Middle East, War On Terror, Bin Laden? none of these are pulls for me) but it was so well received that one day I saw it for a pound and bought it. Still not watched it, but you never know.

I've actually seen one of the last 4 films! I saw Inside Out with a bunch of nutters (myself included) about 6 years ago. I thought it was ok. Quite a smart film, but not really my thing. It passed the time pleasantly but I remember nothing about it and it is, after all, a cartoon for kids (hi MV
Sometimes I wonder why I like you.

123 points, 8 lists
What We Do in the Shadows
Director

Jemaine Clement, 2014

Starring

Taika Waititi, Jemaine Clement, Jonny Brugh, Cori Gonzalez-Macuer

123 points, 10 lists
Nightcrawler
Director

Dan Gilroy, 2014

Starring

Jake Gyllenhaal, Rene Russo, Riz Ahmed, Bill Paxton

Trivia

What We Do in the Shadows - About 125 hours of footage was shot, most of which was improvisation from the cast. The process of editing that down to a 90-minute movie took almost a year. The directors have stated that they are considering making all the footage available on-line, so that fans can edit their own version.
Nightcrawler - During the scene where Jake Gyllenhaal screams at himself in the mirror, Gyllenhaal got so into this improvised scene that the mirror broke, cutting his hand. He was driven to the hospital by the director after a nineteen-hour day of working and got forty-six stitches in a four-hour long operation, returning to the set six hours after being discharged. This is the reason why Gyllenhaal had his hand behind his back in the scene where he tells the scrapyard owner his motto.

MoFo Reviewers

What We Do in the Shadows

What's a better type of comedy - the one that's cleverly written but doesn't make you laugh out loud, or the one that's not too smart but still gets you chuckling? What We Do in the Shadows definitely falls into the former category - despite a simple yet ingenious premise and a sharp take on vampire lore, most of it is merely amusing. It runs through almost every trope associated with vampire fiction over the course of a quick eighty minutes, which is about how long the gag can last. Fortunately, it helps that the main trio of vampires (the fourth one, an 8,000-year-old Orlock-like creature called Peter, only pops up at crucial plot points) have enough odd-couple chemistry to keep the humour flowing. As befitting the mockumentary angle, the vampires go about talking about parts of their everyday lives - the struggle of not being able to look in mirrors, being unable to get into clubs because they need to be invited, and (in one memorably black sequence), the prim and proper Viago going the extra mile to make sure his victim has a nice last date before he feeds on her. The lead characters all get sufficient development and their own subplots - selfish "young" vampire Deacon has a thrall who is constantly doing favours for him in order to become a vampire herself, while Vladislav is an older vampire clearly based on Bram Stoker's Dracula who constantly grumbles about his old arch-nemesis "the Beast" in such a way that you know a confrontation is inevitable. Having the film establish a climax to work towards - in this case, the yearly gathering of supernatural creatures known as the "Unholy Masquerade" - is a good move to counter the relative aimlessness of the film's premise.
Read the full review here.

Nightcrawler

This is a film that brutally slays what passes for news coverage in our current society. A few days previous to this I had caught up with and finished the Aaron Sorkin TV series “The Newsroom” which proved to be quite a fascinating companion piece to Nightcrawler. The Newsroom presents journalism at its most idealised and optimistic, showing it as the tool of integrity and information that we all know it should be. Sadly that is now a somewhat outdated notion. In contrast Nightcrawler presents what is all too disappointingly closer to the actual truth of things. The term 'if it bleeds, it leads' is one that has now been around for quite some time. This film takes that sentiment and pushes it right to its absolute extremes, showing us where it is we are heading or perhaps arguing that it's too late and we're already there. The film highlights just how fear-driven the media has become. In one particularly unseemly sequence Russo's news director is seen coaching the on-air talent to really push the horror of a tragic news story and to induce fear in the audience.
Read the full review here.

Hmm. Personally I think these two are far too high up in the list. I find Taikia Waititi extraordinarily overrated as a director. WWDITS is quite funny in places, and fine as a light hearted film. But we're approaching the half way stage and it never ceases to amaze me the love that this film gets. Looking at some of the films that are lower in the list, it's just puzzling.

Nightcrawler on the other hand is quite good and Gyllenhall really brings alot of energy, craziness and desperation to the role. Riz Ahmed is as good as he always is. It's a little surprising to see it this high though. I thought it would have placed lower than Hereditary, Manchester by the Sea and Joker for instance.

No votes.

Haven't seen What We Do in the Shadows and I'm not sure if I'm like it as I'm not big on Waititi, but the format makes me curious.

Nightcrawler is a very good, possibly great film that I considered for bottom end of my list, but ultimately left off.

Nightcrawler (Dan Gilroy, 2014)

One of the most riveting films of the decade, Nightcrawler throws us into a world that's exhilarating and feels as dangerous as our protagonist's profession. Jake Gyllenhaal is truly transfixing in the lead role. Unfortunately if I was making a list of the worst films of the decade I would probably put Dan Gilroy's Velvet Buzzsaw near the top.
37/46 seen.

mark f

What We Do in the Shadows (Jemaine Clement & Taika Waititi, 2014)
-

Three vampires (Jemaine Clement, Johnny Brugh & Taika Waititi), who share a flat with a Nosferatu-type (Ben Fransham) who doesn’t get out much, prepare to spend a night on the town.
-

Amoral thrillseeker/entrepreneur Jake Gyllenhaal comes across a triple murder in a mansion and videotapes it for the news.
Nightcrawler made mark f's ballot at #2.

2. Nightcrawler (#55)
5. 1917 (#86)
20. World of Tomorrow (#99)
24. Behemoth (one pointer)

I watched both of these in the lead up to this countdown.

After loving Jojo Rabbit, I'd had a vague desire to see more Waititi but kept not pulling the trigger on it. So when What We Do in the Shadows appeared on the Comedy Countdown, I decided to prioritize it for this. I found it disappointing. It was much too silly for my tastes and, although I laughed a little, the humor mostly fell flat for me. It was never in consideration for my ballot.

Nightcrawler is a very effective and very uncomfortable watch. I have a lot of respect for it and I'm glad that it made it here, but I have absolutely no desire to watch it again and it did not get my vote.

Seen: 28/46
My Ballot:
7. Joker (#60)
11. The Man From Nowhere (#95)
14. Inside Out (#59)
20. Jojo Rabbit (2019) (#89)
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Reviews in My 2010s Countdown Preparation Thread

My Review for What We Do In the Shadows:

What We Do In the Shadows (Jemaine Clement and Taika Waititi, 2014)

After seeing the trailer for this, I had my reservations but I really like Jojo Rabbit and since this made the Comedy Countdown I thought I'd give it a shot. I think the concept is good - and certainly mockumentaries can work very well for me - but it relied a little too heavily on silliness and there just wasn't enough substance here for my tastes. I did chuckle a few times, but I mostly felt detached from the whole thing and were it any longer than its 86 minute runtime I don't know that I would've finished it.

Not a bad movie and amusing enough for one watch, but not something I'm likely to revisit and I definitely won't be voting for it in the 2010s countdown.

My Review for Nightcrawler:

(Recommended by @cricket)

In attempting to review this, I have a bit of a dilemma: Do I rate it highly, because it's incredibly well-crafted, or do I give it a more neutral rating because I don't think I ever want to watch it again?

Nightcrawler is incredibly well-crafted - and also aptly titled. It's crawling with soulless, slimy people in settings that are equally disgusting. Jake Gyllenhaal's Louis Bloom is equal parts intriguing and revolting as a freelance crime journalist who views his work more like a movie production and will go to terrible extremes to create the perfect shot.

And with all this spectacle of greed, carnage, and misery, I couldn't look away but I also felt somehow unclean for having watched it. It's an amazing film, but also one that is just, well, kind of icky and my lack of desire to see it again means it's unlikely to make my ballot.

I really like WWDITS, but not this much. I watched for the second time last year and it is really funny but nothing more than that. I would have rather seen Boy make it.

I love Nightcrawler, and probably should have considered it. Probably in my top 5 most rewatched from last decade. I don’t know why it doesn’t pop in my mind when thinking of favorites, but I do love it.

No votes

Reply to Topic