The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

60. Since Train to Busan has already been guessed, I'll go with Grand Budapest Hotel because I don't currently remember any other films that had scenes on a train (other than Source Code which has also already been mentioned).

59. This is an outside shot, but maybe it could be First Reformed if the house in the sky symbolizes the church/religion. Lighthouse was a fantastic guess though.

62. Moonlight (2016, Barry Jenkins) 115 points
61. The Favourite (2018, Yorgos Lanthimos) 116 points

Two more good ones by very interesting directors that were close to making my list but just missed out. Great list so far this.

spotlight is solid and i'd watch it again but not really a movie i care about very strongly one way or the other.
Hi, and welcome to my list.

Two films I have yet to see.

Another two I've not seen, though wouldn't be against seeing either. Moonlight just sounds like it'd be hard work emotionally, whereas The Favourite looks like it'd be great (and like @edarsenal I really enjoy The Great) and the only real concerns I have are whether it'd be 'feel' too kooky. Historically I know it's not accurate, but I don't supposed that's really the point of this film and, so, if it's not something it depends on it should be easy to let it go.

Spelling, do you have everyone's list somewhere? I didn't keep a copy of mine and I'd like to remember what movies were on it and where. Pretty please.

Spelling, do you have everyone's list somewhere? I didn't keep a copy of mine and I'd like to remember what movies were on it and where. Pretty please.
I know I'm not Speling but maybe I can help .... you should have received a PM copy by return when you submitted your ballot so as long as you've not cleared down your Inbox there should be one in there. I created a Countdowns folder and move all mine in there as and when I get them as it makes them easier to find.

I know I'm not Speling but maybe I can help .... you should have received a PM copy by return when you submitted your ballot so as long as you've not cleared down your Inbox there should be one in there. I created a Countdowns folder and move all mine in there as and when I get them as it makes them easier to find.
Yep, it's there. Thank you!

Check your PMs. When submitting your ballot, the system automatically sends you a copy to your Inbox, with the host as sender; in this case, Speling.

EDIT: Chyp beat me to it *high five*

118 points, 8 lists
Joker
Director

Todd Phillips, 2019

Starring

Joaquin Phoenix, Robert De Niro, Zazie Beetz, Frances Conroy

119 points, 11 lists
Inside Out
Director

Pete Docter, 2015

Starring

Amy Poehler, Phyllis Smith, Bill Hader, Kaitlyn Dias

Trivia

Joker - Joaquin Phoenix based his laugh on "videos of people suffering from pathological laughter." He also sought to portray a character with which audiences could not identify. Pathological laughter is a real-life disorder which causes that the patient suffers of uncontrollable laugh attacks as response for tense or stress situations. Although isn't usual, these attacks can stop the normal flux of oxygen to the brain or lungs, causing hypoxia or even asphyxia in the patient.
Inside Out - According to director Pete Docter, each emotion is based on a shape: Joy is based on a star, Sadness is a teardrop, Anger is a fire brick, Fear is a raw nerve, and Disgust is broccoli. He noted that he likes broccoli very much, however.

I only saw Inside Out once, and what a beautiful experience it was. Pixar always had a slight taste for postmodern characterization, but this amplified it with one of its best stories.

Seen 23/42

Another awesome pair that I didn’t vote for.

Inside Out is my second favorite Pixar these days I think. I don’t know when in my cinematic journey I stopped enjoying animation as much as live action but that transition has definitely happened unfortunately.

Joker was an awesome theater watch. Gotta be the most unsettling first watch for me since Silence Of The Lambs. Second watch it probably went down a whole star. Very good movie but it wasn’t in contention for my list.

MoFo Reviewers

Joker

Of course, what makes that transformation so affecting is the stunning performance of Joaquin Phoenix. In Phoenix's hands Arthur Fleck feels like a fully realized human, albeit one who is deeply damaged and disturbed. But this is no surprise, we know from experience that he can endow even the most repulsive and despicable character with depth and raw emotion and do it in such a way that the resulting sympathy we feel for that character only serves to make him that much more frightening.
Read the full review here.

Inside Out

Just the presence of Bing-Bong is bone-crushingly heartbreaking. It reminds me of the song 'More Than a Feeling" by Boston (which was in fact used in the trailers, excellent choices of music). Actually, it may describe the entire film. Bing-Bong can, "still recall as I want to know" (lyric from the song), but Riley no longer has interest. On the flip side, Riley can remember all the wonderful, spotless things about Minnesota, but reality doesn't allow her to go back in time. Inside Out is a film that can be described as a sparkling, energetic collision of emotions and memories, they crumble, and then are shaped in a different form, improved, as we grow up and enter chaotic society, and when we look back, "the faces fade as the years go by", but the experiences, the touching moments and the heart-pounding thrill rides of bonding and separating, ceaselessly beating back and forth under a lonely night view remain inside us, and complete us. It is obvious that the writers studied actual psychology, instead of movie versions. Inside Out captures the sublime beauty of all of the above in simply 102 minutes.
Read the full review here.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I've seen Joker twice and, while it wasn't as bad as the admittedly overblown concerns about its potentially controversial subject matter made it out to be, it never does enough to transcend its influences and become a genuinely good film outside of certain aspects like Phoenix being his usual remarkable self. I've seen Inside Out once and liked it but, like just about everything Pixar's put out since Toy Story 3, I have never felt the slightest inclination to rewatch it.

mark f

Joker (Todd Phillips, 2019)

Aspiring stand-up comic Joaquin Phoenix feels neglected by the world and decides to do something.
Inside Out (Pete Docter & Ronaldo Del Carmen, 2015)

The inner emotions of an eleven-year-old girl are introduced. She's just moved from Minnesota to San Francisco, so besides trying to fit in at her new school, she remembers what she no longer has.
Neither film made mark f's ballot.

Seen both again but voted for neither. Joker was definitely in contention for a spot on my ballot but didn't quite make it, another that I'm a little surprised is this low. Sadly I don't really get the love for Inside Out, it's an ok watch but nothing more for me.

Seen: 34/42 (Own: 22/42)
My ballot:  

Faildictions  

My wife and I thought Joker was hysterical. It was a contender for my list but ultimately got cut.

I watched Inside Out a couple of months ago and thought it was amusing.

Joker was my #5
I remember my kids wanted to see it at the cinema, thinking it was something in line with stuff like the MCU
I had to tell them no, and to wait till they were a little older. Such a horrible dad.

1: Bloody well better had do
2: Bloody well better had do
3: 100%
4: Bloody well better had do
5: Joker (2019) - 60th
6: 100%
7: Prisoners (2013) - 69th
8: 100%
9: 100%
10: 100%
11: Shutter Island (2010) - 76th
12: 100%