The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
62. Moonrise Kingdom (Boyhood is a better guess)
61. The Master (The Favourite is an awfully good guess)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Before Midnight: Another reminder to me to catch up on the Before trilogy.

Gone Girl: Solid thriller that takes advantage of Ben Affleck's blend of charisma and guilt and provides a couple of career highlights (I don't think Tyler Perry has looked this good unless it was one of his own films...if you don't like it, I got some candies I can toss at your head). Rosamund Pike more than makes up for her bland wife role in Hector and the Search for Happiness and dives into her complex role with glee. Some parts of it were kind of weak, but at least it finished strong and had some things to say on relationships in the public eye. Not on the list.

Manchester by the Sea: Hadn't seen it.

Spotlight: Was my #11. A sure sign of a good film is that you can make it interesting even if you know the story and all the facts. Director Tom McCarthy turns this one into a thriller that has big messages about "The Power of the Press" as the journalists dive into the story about a cover-up involving the Catholic church which runs through the bloodline of Boston. They made spreadsheets compelling and touching.

Some great guesses off the gate, so...

62. Predestination
61. Midsommar

Spotlight: Was my #11. A sure sign of a good film is that you can make it interesting even if you know the story and all the facts.
For me, it's the part when they're going through the records and starting to realize the patterns of reassignments and people being moved around. The rest of the film didn't move me all that much.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Manchester By the Sea for this countdown, and I considered it for my list, but it ultimately ended up getting cut. But I'm glad to see that it made the list without my help.

Spotlight is another movie that I watched for this countdown, and it's a great movie, but it's not the type of movie that I would rewatch, so I didn't consider it for my list.

Manchester by the Sea is one that I haven't seen but I really like Michelle Williams and I keep hearing how great Casey Affleck is in this, so maybe one day.

Haven't seen Spotlight but the cast looks great and I like a good investigative film, so again, one day. Therefore, no votes from me.

List so far:
#10. Hell or High Water #73
#15. Edge of Tomorrow #68
#24. Gone Girl #65

So many gud guesses already gone ... can't even see the delivery truck today
62. Avengers: Infinity War
61. The Social Network

62. The Winter Soldier, solely because of Cap trying to curl a helicopter.
61. Man of Steel. I highly doubt it would show up on this Countdown, but that scene where everyone is trying to touch Superman is all that comes to mind.

Spotlight is fine but I'd say its important message overshadows everything else to the point I'd call it a "substance over style" film, not unlike All the President's Men is one.
This just makes me want to see it more.

I thought Spotlight was okay, but I kept thinking that I'd rather just be watching a well-researched documentary on the topic instead.
This makes sense and is, partly, why I've still not seen Spotlight.

Seen neither, but I am interested in and would watch Spotlight, more so as All The Presidents Men is on my 100.

Manchester By Sea is exactly the kind of film which, at 20, I'd really want to see and would probably love/rave about, but by 40 it feels like I've seen so many of 'these' kinds of films and it's just more emotional masturbation. No interest at all in sitting through that.

Boyhood and It for the clues.

115 points, 6 lists
Moonlight
Director

Barry Jenkins, 2016

Starring

Trevante Rhodes, André Holland, Janelle Monáe, Ashton Sanders

116 points, 7 lists
The Favourite
Director

Yorgos Lanthimos, 2018

Starring