The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
Nice couple of films, but they both fall just short of making my top 25 ballot.

66. Before Midnight - I ended up watching all three Before films together, in the space of a couple of days, which is a really striking way to witness Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy age and change before our eyes. I'm only sorry I missed looking forward to each film after a considerable amount of time had passed. Nine years between the first two, and nine years between Before Sunset and this film - making it 18 years between the start of this project and Before Midnight. It's necessarily difficult to watch the two characters in this iteration go through the trouble that most marriages go through - in the first film there was the initial spark of love, and in the second the relationship is consummated, so as such we've yet to see these two in such conflict and it kind of stings. We've got so much invested in these two by now - and I was practically yelling at the screen for the two of them to knock it off and stop arguing over silly little things that don't matter. However, those of us who have been through it all will instantly recognize their own fights and problems in these two people, and hear themselves and their spouse through the words of Jesse and Céline. Will we one day get a fourth film when these two are in their old age? It's funny - but the way I experienced it, I take the three films as one entity and as such it's hard for me to say how much I like Before Midnight by itself. The trilogy though, is brilliant.

65. Gone Girl - Here's a film I've always been meaning to see again, and one that I kind of reserve my judgement of until I have done so. All the same, I enjoyed watching it when it came out and thought it was a good film. I don't know if I have a whole lot more to say about it except for the fact that it tries to hold all of it's cards close to it's chest, and throws a few obvious red herrings at us early on. Poor old Ben Affleck - when it comes time for vengeance we're struck by a very strange kind of ending which balances everything on edge and has us asking questions. I'm being deliberately vague, but assume anyone reading this has already seen Gone Girl. I thought the film had come in for some criticism in recent years, but by showing up at number 65 I've been shown here that a lot of people are sticking by it in a big way - and that's making me want to watch it again all the more. There must be more to this than mere mystery and reveals. A good come-back from Fincher after the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo letdown.

Seen 28/36

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

I think it's Us (possibly The Social Network), but someone already guessed it (and the other possibility).
Now that you mention it, Us is really a great catch. Why I didn't think of that? Good job, @Deschain

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I like Before Midnight, but it's not my favorite film of the trilogy. (My favorite is the first movie, Before Sunrise.)

I rewatched Gone Girl for this countdown because I didn't remember much about it from my previous viewing. It has some plot holes, but it's still a great thriller.

Two great movies, but neither made my list.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.

While #64 is a picture of Manchester by the Sea, I doubt SpelingError would have used a picture that gives the title of the movie by doing a reverse image search.

I don't think this got enough votes to make the countdown, but maybe A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood (2019).

I think @Deschain probably got #63 with Us (2019), but if not, maybe it's either The One I Love (2014) or Good Time (2017). (I would have guessed Home (2015) if I thought it had any chance at making the countdown, but it barely even had a chance to make the 1-pointers.)

Ok, lots of sensible guesses already in so this time I'm having to go outside of the delivery van that brought the box in which the box that held the box came in:
64. The Florida Project
63. Guardians Of The Galaxy

I'll join in and say that I've only seen the first in the trilogy, so Before Midnight was a no vote from me.

Gone Girl is an excellent movie and kept me rapt all throughout. I thought Rosamund Pike was fantastic and exceeded expectations in her role. Affleck, whom I've never been a huge fan of, did a fine job. All-around great thriller and is my #24.

List so far:
#10. Hell or High Water #73
#15. Edge of Tomorrow #68
#24. Gone Girl #65

Watched Easy A last night, wanted a light easy watch before I went to sleep.

A solid enough coming-of-age comedy that manages to draw from its influences whilst having some of its own personality, largely down to Emma Stone's confident performance. I did laugh a few times, which for some films is probably rarer than you'd think, but overall I didn't find it overly charming or exciting. I'd give it a down-the-middle
and can see why it would appear to certain people, whilst being slightly surprised at its ranking on this countdown.

Up to 28/36 seen I believe.

I've seen none of the last four, despite Before Sunrise being on my 100 favourite films of all time. I am interested in seeing Before Midnight, but Before Sunset was such a disappointment (not that it isn't good, just not what I wanted or maybe I just asked for the moon?) that while interested and excited it was being made/released, I've never even tried to see it.

I own both Edge Of Tomorrow and Take Shelter. but I've still not seen any of them.

108 points, 7 lists
Manchester by the Sea
Director

Kenneth Lonergan, 2016

Starring

Casey Affleck, Lucas Hedges, Michelle Williams, Kyle Chandler

108 points, 9 lists
Spotlight
Director

Tom McCarthy, 2015

Starring

Mark Ruffalo, Michael Keaton, Rachel McAdams, Liev Schreiber

Trivia

Manchester By the Sea - Surprising everyone on set, Casey Affleck unexpectedly cried during the morgue scene. The brutal, but yet beautiful scene had been written without it, but Kenneth Lonergan decided to keep the scene.
Spotlight - During an interview on National Public Radio's "Fresh Air", director Tom McCarthy said that they built a large set to depict many of the Boston Globe offices, where parts of the story take place. When the reporters depicted in the movie first visited the set, they gravitated to "their" desks, and many of them started to arrange the items on those desks the way they had been at the time.

Seen both, though I remember virtually nothing from Manchester By The Sea so won't count that in the stats and perhaps unsurprisingly it was never in contention for a spot on my ballot. Spotlight is decent and certainly was in with a shot for a while but eventually got cut before my final ballot was decided.

Seen: 30/38 (Own: 20/38)
My ballot:  

Faildictions  

Reply to Topic