The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

It's too early for Phantom Thread, but what the hell - I'll go Phantom Thread for 68

I think the hint just clicked for me and you are absolutely right. Well played, SpelingError.

Easy A is an example of the side characters being so much better than the main story.

It's pretty sad we never got a Stanley Tucci/Patricia Clarkson romcom

68. Echoes Of Silence (2018)
67. Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Box? What box??

I love Easy A mostly because I love Emma Stone, but this time she's got such a great support cast (not that she doesn't often) on hand that it's hard to screw up this movie. I agree with @PHOENIX74 about Patricia Clarkson and Stanley Tucci being such cool parents and I second what @Siddon said about it being too bad we never got a Clarkson/Tucci romcom. But I love Emma so much that she helps ease the pain of not getting that parental movie. No vote, though I thought strongly about it.

Prisoners is an excellent movie and I agree that this is most likely Hugh Jackman's best performance. Jake Gyllenhaal was great, nearly matching Jackman. Paul Dano played pathetic very convincingly, and Melissa Leo was...well, let's just say she was really good because she made me hate her. Tense in the extreme but don't know if I can see this one again for awhile, and it's been a while since I've last seen it. Still, damn! No vote.

Two fine movies that I'm glad to see make it.

List:
#10. Hell or High Water #73

102 points, 7 lists
Edge of Tomorrow
Director

Doug Liman, 2014

Starring

Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt, Bill Paxton, Brendan Gleeson

102 points, 7 lists
Take Shelter
Director

Jeff Nichols, 2011

Starring

Michael Shannon, Jessica Chastain, Katy Mixon, Shea Whigham

Trivia

Edge of Tomorrow - While filming the car chase scene which includes a minivan, Emily Blunt was instructed to drive fast and then to take a right hand turn so that the van would shake. However, Blunt missed her mark and she drove the car right into a tree. She later said that it was both hilarious and terrifying, as she almost killed Tom Cruise, who was in the passenger seat, but both of them started laughing after the incident.
Take Shelter - On the DVD commentary, Michael Shannon and the director, Jeff Nichols, both clarify that the daughter was not supposed to have been born deaf but had become deaf a few years before the events of the movie due to an illness like meningitis.

Two more films that I haven't seen.

A few people have recommended Edge of Tomorrow to me and I'm a big Tom Cruise fan so I think I could enjoy it.

I think Swan was a big fan of Take Shelter if I remember correctly. I was going to guess Mud from the rain clue actually, that's a film I liked, so there's a decent chance I could enjoy this too.

MoFo Reviewers

Edge of Tomorrow

What sets Edge Of Tomorrow apart from other blockbusters is the story telling. I don't think I can easily convey how impressed I was at how tight they kept a story arc that could have easily been a complete mess. The premise is well known so I will not spell it out. What I will say is that Liman does an amazing job of showing us just the right amount at the right time. It would be so easy to show us the same thing way too much or to hold too much back till the end. Liman never does instead everything feels extremely relevant. The number of times that the day is reset is conveyed without ever exhausting the audience. Liman also easily conveys when something is new to us but not the characters. It is a hard line to walk and the way that the film does was the most impressive aspect for me.
Read the full review here.

Take Shelter

Every Hall of Fame that I have participated in has brought me a new favorite that I can watch over and over again. From Late Spring to After Hours to Ed Wood to Sideways. And now we have Take Shelter. Take Shelter is an incredible moving force full of two very powerful performances. The first is by the male lead, Michael Shannon, who seems to portray schizophrenia to a T. Every scene he is in is memorable and there may be no scene more powerful this decade than his Lions Club scene shouting there is a storm coming. I can't relate to the character itself at all, but I could feel what he is going through and he made it feel very real. Also there was Jessica Chastain who also had an astounding performance. I love how she is always by his side and even though he has nearly tore their family apart with his condition she is there to forgive him. I can't think off of the top of my head a better female performance this decade. What was most impressive to me is how well the two worked in the scenes in which they were together. The problems and the tension and struggle felt very real.
Read the full review here.

mark f

Edge of Tomorrow (Doug Liman, 2014)
+

Reluctant soldier Tom Cruise finds himself on the invasion-landing beach battling aliens over and over again, but he uses what he learns to “get smart” enough to potentially win the war.
Take Shelter (Jeff Nichols, 2011)

This is a modern-day psychological drama which also touches on apocalyptic imagery, expertly directed, acted and constructed with some breathtaking visuals, all accomplished on an apparent budget of only one million dollars. Michael Shannon plays Ohio construction worker Curtis who begins to have visions, nightmares and hallucinations about imminent storms and violent attacks from people and even his trusty dog. This is quite unusual because he has a happy family with a loving wife (Jessica Chastain) and a young deaf daughter who's about to get some hearing implants, and he has no major problems with his life. As his sleeplessness and nightmares continue though, he becomes worried that he will follow in the footsteps of his mother (Kathy Baker) whose mental illness has confined her to assisted living for most of Curtis's life. Eventually, he decides to upgrade a tornado shelter in his yard, and this begins to tear apart his family, but Curtis is compelled to do it to save his family from what he feels is an impending storm or perhaps even something approaching the Apocalypse.

Shannon is his usual intense, brooding self, although for the most part, he seems to be a slow-burner and only seems to really explode in one community get-together. Jessica Chastain balances his personality well by being rational and caring although she does feel betrayed when he goes behind her back to take out a loan they cannot afford. But eventually the family proves strong enough to withstand whatever comes, although the ending of the film is open to interpretation and leaves Curtis's character unresolved as to whether he truly is insane, a prophet or someone in between. One thing I will say is that although Take Shelter has a few elements of horror and is certainly suspenseful, it's basically a serious character study and doesn't try to take any easy outs getting to its resolution and forcing the audience to believe one way or another. The fact that it can get away with what it does is a sign of a sure hand behind the camera in writer/director Jeff Nichols who made another good low-budget film with Shannon, Shotgun Stories, although this film seems to be a noticeable leap in overall quality.
Neither film made mark f's ballot.

I watched Take Shelter for the 7th MoFo Hall of Fame and I thought it was really good. However, I've never had any desire to revisit it and since my ballot was culled exclusively from the movies that I watched or rewatched specifically in preparation for this, it never had a chance at my ballot.

I can't say I've ever felt any desire to watch Edge of Tomorrow.

Seen: 19/34
My Ballot:
11. The Man From Nowhere (#95)
20. Jojo Rabbit (2019) (#89)
25. Kitbull (One Pointer)

Reviews in My 2010s Countdown Preparation Thread

My review for Take Shelter:
Take Shelter

This was a really well made film with some very strong performances. It was heartwrenching watching this family come to grips with the reality of Curtis' condition. The movie did very well to build up the paranoia and the tension and to show why Curtis struggled so much with separating his dreams and hallucinations with reality. It also did well to show the isolation and the shame someone struggling with this condition must feel. A very moving watch.

Edge of Tomorrow is ok, but not really my thing. It's a tired groundhog day scenario meets sci fi action flick, and you just know how it ends about 10 minutes into the film.

Take Shelter is a fantastic film. A favourite of mine that made me seek out more Michael Shannon films. The way it breaks down the pressure that Shannon's character feels to provide for his family in an ever increasingly paranoid, anxiety inducing world, thus turning it into almost a horror film is brilliant. Shannon is amazing in it. It pained me to leave it out of my ballot.

No votes.

Reply to Topic