The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Still not sure about it, though, but I'm sticking with my gut.
Moviefan1988 seemed to be a big fan of it, so it seems likely to have gotten some blocks of support.

I was halfway tempted to say Meek's Cutoff for the maze one, but that seems like that'd be... not likely.

I forgot the opening line.
72. Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - I've seen this a few times so I guess that means I like it. It's funny, I like the music, and I enjoy it's various quirks and surreal, eccentric bent. I've never read the graphic novel or whatever it was in it's original form, and I'm not a huge fan of Michael Cera, but this is a cool movie with some touches of originality around the edges. Edgar Wright is at his best when he's doing this kind of funny and quirky high spirited adventure film for characters who are quiet underdogs with very little going for them. Adding some computer graphics and video game sounds to the whole proceedings is quite cute - and that's what a lot of Pilgrim is. Just really cute. It didn't make my ballot, but again, this is one that would have a chance of fitting into my top 100 of the decade.

71. Ida - I came into Ida having only ever seen Pawel Pawlikowski's Cold War, but I was super impressed by the latter film (it has a very good chance of featuring higher up in this Countdown.) Well, I liked Ida even more. Deeply contemplative, slowly placed and beautifully shot, this film is really one of the standouts of the decade. It won the Best Foreign Film Oscar and was nominated for it's incredible cinematography - an Oscar it really should have won. There's a very deliberate sparseness to everything in this film, both visually and thematically - and I can understand if that drives some people crazy, but for me it was a case of very little telling me an awful lot. Both Agata Trzebuchowska, as Anna and Agata Kulesza as her Aunt Wanda really get into the spirit of the screenplay and inhabit their roles as two polar opposites thrust together and having to cohabit as best they can. I watched this just over a year ago and it's stuck with me - Ida is the third film of mine to appear, it being my #12

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Seen 22/30
Films on my radar : 3
Films I've never even heard about : 5

#71 - My #12 - Ida (2013)
#93 - My #15 - It Follows (2014)
#96 - My #1 - Hereditary (2018)

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I tried watching Scott Pilgrim vs. The World twice for this countdown. I got about 20 minutes into it the first time I tried watching it, but I wasn't enjoying it, so I decided to turn it off and watch something else. I thought maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind the first time, so I decided to give it another chance a few days later. Sadly, I didn't get much further into the movie before turning it off. I got about 30 minutes into it the second time, but the chaotic presentation and the loud music just didn't work for me.

I haven't seen Ida.

The only one I’ve seen of the last four is Scott Pilgirm. I thought it was ok at the time

1917 (Sam Mendes, 2019)
- 7.5/10

Probably the most fateful sequence in the adventures of Blake (Dean-Charles Chapman) and Schofield (George MacKay).
I forgot to mention this when 1917 was announced, but it made mark f's ballot at #5:

5. 1917 (#86)
20. World of Tomorrow (#99)
24. Behemoth (one pointer)

I forgot the opening line.
Time for my "was so sure I had it this time" hint guesses

70. I'll go for The Master, but there have been a few good guesses already.
69. I was thinking Inception, but then someone said Prisoners - and it fits that movie well, if you've seen it. Then somebody said Get Out and I thought that was even better. Since I've missed the boat on those I'll go left field - Zero Dark Thirty.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. Scott Pilgrim vs. the World could very well have made my list on a different day and I very much dug it on release because it and Wright's oeuvre at large seem tailor-made for my particular sensibilities, but that ends up being a kind of uncanny double-edged sword where it's almost too perfect for me, if that makes any sense. Still a fun time whenever I feel like throwing it on, however rarely that is. I've seen Ida once and liked it.

70. Easy A - I'll mark the fk out if it makes it on here lol
69. Inception or Maze Runner

Welcome to the Dance: My Favorite 20 High School Movies
https://www.movieforums.com/communit...02#post2413502

As I'm hours after as per usual I'll go deep outside the box again...
70. Centurion
69. A Walk Among The Tombstones

Some good guesses:

70. Booksmart
69. Amazing Grace (the Aretha Franklin performance doc)

Scott Pilgrim was my #17. Although I did hold back several films from the early 2010s due to my standards being a little less loose at the time, I had to make room for Scott. A fun movie based on a graphic novel that works because of a sharp script, strong direction from Edgar Wright and some good performances that allow the characters to burst into life. Had to like the message at the end as well.

Ida was my #3. As I mentioned earlier, the film looks gorgeous. But can we talk about how it reveals its secret so early in the film? The film itself isn't about the secret but in the characters dealing with the fallout due to the secret. Good performances and great direction...of course! The film may be a bit of a slow burner, but stick with it. It'll stick with you for a while afterwards.

My List:
2. The Artist
3. Ida
4. World of Tomorrow
9. My Life as a Zucchini (#449)
17. Scott Pilgrim vs the World
23. A Separation
25. The Retrieval (One Pointer)

"The 2010's, a decade in which movies existed, I guess." - honeykid
That kind of sums it up. It applies largely to the previous decade too, though I was still engaged enough to hate much of what was released.

Mostly the usual for the last two, except that I don't think I've heard of Ida. Not beyond just literally seeing the title, anyway.

Just because the clues instantly sparked guesses for me.

Easy A or Booksmart

Inception

99 points, 6 lists
Easy A
Director

Will Gluck, 2010

Starring

Emma Stone, Cam Gigandet, Amanda Bynes, Penn Badgley

99 points, 9 lists
Prisoners
Director

Denis Villeneuve, 2013