Michael Cera, Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Ellen Wong, Kieran Culkin

98 points, 7 lists
Ida
Director

Paweł Pawlikowski, 2013

Starring

Jerzy Trela, Agata Trzebuchowska, Agata Kulesza, Dawid Ogrodnik

Trivia

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World - The four cast members that made up the band "Sex Bob-Omb" spent several weeks learning how to play together as a band. Mark Webber, Alison Pill, and Johnny Simmons all had to learn their instruments from scratch, while Michael Cera had to "dumb down" his bass playing in order to not outshine his band mates.
Ida - Pawel Pawlikowski had such difficulty finding an actress to play the titular character that he asked his friends to take secret photographs if they saw anyone who was in the right ballpark of the character. One of his friends, director Malgorzata Szumowska, saw Agata Trzebuchowska in a Warsaw café, took the picture and persuaded her to audition.

MoFo Reviewers

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Cera is playing his usual role, but this one's more of an *******, and lazy, and a fighting master. I don't think the Cera in Juno was very likely to pull as many counter hits and combos as this one. This world is full of characters though and it would take me too long to evaluate all 100 performances, I'll just say whether they're a face or a big time character they get the job done. What may rub people the wrong way is how unappealing to the audience Scott's love Romana is. She's hot I guess. Even Scott has doubts.
Read the full review here.

Ida

This is the second film I've seen from Pawlikowski, after Cold War, and as much as I liked that one, I loved this one even more. This film is, and I hope I can stress this enough, *gorgeously shot*. The framing and overall shot composition is superb, while the black and white cinematography conveys the lifelessness of the post-war world in which these women live, as well as the contrast within their mindset.
Read the full review here.

mark f

Scott Pilgrim Vs. the World (E. Wright, 2010)
- Pure entertainment for this generation, combined with a cool concept of romance.
Ida (Pawel Pawlikowski, 2013)

Before she takes her vows, young novice Agata Trzebuchowska goes to visit her aunt Agata Kulesza and learns that she is, in fact, a Jew. The two try to find out what happened to her missing, presumed dead, parents and the aunt’s small son.

Seen both.

Scott Pilgrim is kind of a sentimental favorite, endlessly rewatchable, enjoyably quotable (the other night at a gathering with friends someone referenced the vegan police). It didn't make my list, but I have very fond feelings toward it.

Ida is a beautiful film. It didn't make my list, but I found it very moving and have frequently recommended it over the years. It also looks absolutely gorgeous. I love that it made this countdown.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Here's what I thought about Scott Pilgrim

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

I was surprised to see this was on a mofo list, and for a minute I thought it was a sneak pick for the millennium list as there was a lot of surprises on there. But alas it was the Comics list. It seemed a strange pick but I actually dug it a bit as a nice change of pace film. A pretty eclectic cast, I'm usually not a fan of Cera but he does well here (I think I said that about the last of his I saw too) and it was cool to see minor appearances from Evans and Larson. Interesting if this really is a comic book adaptation which it must be. I laughed quite a bit. The future joke was my favorite. A nice little surprise compared to what I thought.

-

I wanna rewatch Scott Pilgrim. I definitely got the "trying too hard" vibe from it when I saw it, but that's such a fine line. It seems to have held up pretty well in the estimation of people who have held up well in my estimation, so that makes me want to give it another shot.

I remember quite enjoying Scott Pilgrim vs The World but it's been a long time since I watched it and therefore it wasn't in contention for a spot on my ballot. Ida on the other hand was one I rewatched with this in mind but it didn't manage to make it from the long-list to the ballot proper.

Seen: 25/30 (Own: 15/30)
My ballot:  

Faildictions  

And here's my Ida thoughts:

Ida

A simple telling of who Ida really is. I wish that Ida had portrayed a bit more of emotion in regards to her discovering, but perhaps her character had become numb to it all. I really thought the movie was shot well and the premise of the story was a good one. I just don't think the movie will be very memorable to me. I wasn't as emotional to what was going on as I should have been, given the subject matter and all. Comparing it to a film like Schindler's List where I was very attached (yes, I know two completely different films). I liked the film, but I was left with a cold and numb feeling of thought myself.

+

I've seen the last four films, but none of them were on my list.

Knives Out was the closest to making it, as it was originally on my short list but got cut somewhere along the way. With the release of Glass Onion I do feel like I should've gone back and rewatched Knives Out, since I only saw it once in theatres. Unfortunately I haven't had as much free time as expected lately, so I never got around to it.

I remember Hell or High Water being pretty good. I had it on my partial Westerns list (though that doesn't mean much since I generally dislike the genre), but it didn't even occur to me to consider it again for this Countdown.

Scott Pilgrim vs The World is a film that I kind of love and hate. The supporting cast are fantastic, but Michael Cera and Mary Elizabeth Winstead don't have much chemistry together, and they really drag down an otherwise fun, energetic film.

I saw Ida when it was nominated in the 11th Hall of Fame, and had it at #4 or 5 on my ballot for that. However I haven't revisited it since then, and the details of the film have pretty much completely left my mind. All I really remember is a distinct lack of sound, and a fairly long average shot duration. Nothing at all about the plot remains.

Seen: 21/30

My List: 5
03. The Raid (2011) - #100
10. The Raid 2 (2014) - #75
14. The Martian (2015) - #82
15. Hereditary (2018) - #96
20. Cabin in the Woods (2011) -#88

This is the first pairing where I've seen neither film. Since Ida is a nomination in the 30th HoF though, I'll likely be getting to it soon.

Summary for me:

Seen 22/30

My list:
1. The Descendants
18. 1917

Close calls to make my list:
A Separation (would have made if rewatched in time)
Avengers Endgame
Hell or High Water

Rauls Seals of Disapprovals:
World of Tomorrow
Deadpool
Spring Breakers

Hint Leaderboard (Current Rankings)

Each time you correctly guess a hint (and are the first person to do so), you'll receive a point.

Apex Predator: 3
Chypmunk: 2
LAMb EELYAK: 2
rauldc14: 2
Torgo: 2
Miss Vicky: 1
PHOENIX74: 1
seanc: 1
KeyserCorleone: 1
Thursday Next: 1

Scott Pilgrim is kind of a sentimental favorite, endlessly rewatchable, enjoyably quotable (the other night at a gathering with friends someone referenced the vegan police). It didn't make my list, but I have very fond feelings toward it.
I haven't said it in awhile now, but I have very frequently quoted the "It's milk and eggs, bitch" line in the past haha.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I don't like Scott Pilgrim vs. The World.

I really like Ida. It is my favorite Pawlikowski film.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Reply to Topic