The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Well, if Shutter Island made it, that means that Scorsese probably got at least 3, maybe 4 in the countdown. My feelings on Scorsese are known, and this one's no exception. It's actually bottom tier for me. The craft is there, but I have issues with the story, and the logistics of the twist.

As for The Raid 2, I enjoyed it but I found it to be quite the opposite from the original in terms of scope and depth. Whereas the first one was a very simple, straightforward story told in 100 minutes, this one turns the story into an overtly complex one blown up with almost an additional hour. It's not bad, but I feel like there could've been a more convenient happy medium.

So, still nothing from my ballot...

Seen: 19/26

My ballot:  

I forgot the opening line.
I think 74 is Under the Skin, but I'm too late for that!
Prisoners is my guess for 73

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Shutter Island, which I liked well enough, is a weird one for me.
I saw the trailer the first time and said,
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
"Oh, it's him and the whole movie is gonna be this construct around him coming to terms with the fact that he's an inmate at the asylum... Gee, I hope that wasn't actually the twist for the end of the movie."

And I also said, "Why is Scorsese even making this movie, doesn't seem like it would be worth his time."
When I finally just decided to watch it for the "Well, a thriller directed by Scorsese might be good enough for a rainy Sunday and let's see if I was right all along", I found myself mostly enjoying it even though, yes, it was the utterly obvious thing from the very first scene. I could understand why Scorsese is, at the very least, an incredible pro, someone who can actually elevate a script that is no better than and in fact much more obvious than Session 9. Even if his love-affair with totally unnecessary CGI in his dotage has really hurt the look of his films (Why are we green-screening a random forest? Is it that freaking hard to just take a camera into the woods so everything doesn't look so fake? Or is this supposed to be some sort of choice to make the world look fake because of the plot-thingy?).
Anyway, I would call this a slightly below-average psychological thriller script that gets a big, big boost from an All-Pro director and cast inexplicably deciding to do it.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched Shutter Island for this countdown, and even though I figured out the twist pretty early on, I still liked the movie. It was kind of like watching an episode of "Columbo", where you already know who the killer is, rather than a standard whodunit. I considered it for my list, but it ultimately got cut.

I hadn't heard of The Raid 2 until yesterday, when I was trying to guess the hint.

Some interesting factoids!

We were talking yesterday about how Spring Breakers had the lowest Tomatometer score (67%) of the countdown so far, and surprise! surprise! Shutter Island *almost* beats that with 68%. However, at the same time, Shutter Island has one of the highest IMDb scores of the countdown at 8.2!

Gareth Evans joins the Russo Brothers as the only directors with 2 entries in the countdown so far. On the same note, I suppose there might be some interesting stat about originals/sequels making it in these countdowns.

Finally, the 3-point gap between Shutter Island and The Raid 2 ties for the largest points gap in the countdown so far, which goes to prove how close this thing was. Everything else has been either tied, or just 1 or 2 points apart.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
mark f

Sadly, I couldn't find any ratings/reviews he wrote for either film.

I found these in the "Movie Tab II" thread:

Shutter Island (Martin Scorsese, 2010)

Entertaining suspense-mystery suffers from being both overlong and too-talky. The huge cast does well, and Scorsese and crew pile on the F/X at almost every moment even if you don't notice it. Thus, it should probably appeal to most people, even if you're one of the many who figures it out in advance. I wish the great Max von Sydow would either be given larger roles or be up to tackling them because he effortlessly brings gravitas and humor to both this and the director's cut of The Wolfman.

The Raid 2 (Gareth Evans, 2014)

Jakarta cop Iko Uwais battles Baseball Bat Man Very Tri Yulisman and Hammer Girl Julie Estelle.

The Raid 2 (Gareth Evans, 2014)
+

There seems to be a never-ending supply of bad guys to thwart the one good one in sight.

I liked The King's Speech, Shutter Island and Spring Breakers...just not enough to put them on my list.

Haven't seen The Raid 2, but apparently it hits Netflix tomorrow in the US.

I found these in the "Movie Tab II" thread:
Huh, I'm surprised I couldn't find them as I generally check those threads first.

Regardless, thanks for posting them

I'm wondering if anyone will make my secondary guess for 74 (the syringe), because I debated between it and my actual guess.

WARNING: spoilers below
Inside Llewyn Davis

Bonus faildictions:
74. Snowpiercer
73. Stockholm

74. Under the Skin?
73. The Town?
Your guess for #74 is so great, it has to be that! And on the off-chance it isn't, it still brought a huge smile to my face!

Shutter Island is a movie that I've considered watching despite the fact that the major turn in the plot was revealed to me out of hand before I really had a chance to clear out. It was at a family get-together and the person telling it was a family member, and for some reason I thought they were referring to a television episode, so I stupidly lingered and when I asked what they were talking about, they told me the movie's title. So I've put it off for years but might check it out one day due to Scorsese directing and a great cast on hand. Still, I feel no hurry to do so.

The Raid 2 As I haven't seen the first, I saw no reason to see this one until I corrected the first oversight. But TR2 always seems to be the most widely available one when I'm in the mood for the first one. Go figure.

No votes here.

A system of cells interlinked
Have seen both of the most recent entries, but neither made my list. Shutter Island is an above average thriller, but perhaps just an average Scorsese film. This is an instance where my estimation of the film goes down due to it being directed by one of the greats and not being completely amazing.

The Raid 2 wasn't as tight as the original, even if it ramps up the violence and and intensity. I prefer the first film.

Seen 16/26

RIP www.moviejustice.com 2002-2010
So who's not going to a big New Year's Eve party, but staying home and watching a movie?
Yep, that's us! Wife and I watched My Fair Lady.

http://www.movieforums.com/community...ad.php?t=26201

So who's not going to a big New Year's Eve party, but staying home and watching a movie?
Yeah, I just celebrated with the closest family. Nothing big either. Some good food, a decent movie and just a down to earth day/night.

I’ve been away for a couple of months so I really needed to have my Christmas and New Year’s Eve more calm and relaxed.

Stayed home and watched Slow Horses second season. Two episodes are still left, but it's glorious. (Yes, I want others in here to watch it. Currently it's only me and @Stirchley)

As for the last few reveals, seen them, not on my list, and decent flicks, except maybe Spring Breakers. Enjoyed Raid 2 just as much as the first. Spring Breakers is a surprise.

As for the hints

73 The Place Beyond the Pines (hoping)

74 Can't think of anything apart from Good Time, but someone has already said it.

And Happy New Year you lovely people.

96 points, 7 lists
Knives Out
Director

Rian Johnson, 2019

Starring

Daniel Craig, Chris Evans, Ana de Armas, Jamie Lee Curtis