The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I think someone guessed that because of the time that the hint was posted, not from the actual hint.

All I know is that I'm terrible at guessing these hints, so it's probably none of the movies that I mentioned.

Yeah, I don't really expect it to be any of the ones we've brought up.

Certified Copy is #2 on my list, absolutely love it. Very meta, very cerebral, mysterious film.
Kiarostami is a genius, one of my favorite filmmakers.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
Didn't see the hint but not sure that makes all that much difference, will just carry on guessing wildly! Love the guesses of Edge of Tomorrow, Gone Girl and Before Midnight for the disappearing timed hint though.

82. Melancholia
81. Prisoners

Also, I'm too lazy to think of a clever hint, so this is how I'll make the hint difficult. If you miss the hint, no worries. There will be plenty more opportunities to guess the hints throughout this countdown.
That's not the issue. This time there's a serious level of unfairness. This is a game, and games are supposed to be fair and fun.

No votes from yesterday's reveal. Here's what I thought of Certified Copy right after groupwatching it;
CERTIFIED COPY 'Copie conforme' 2010 Abbas Kiarostami

1h 46m | Drama | Romance
Writer: Abbas Kiarostami, Caroline Eliacheff
Cast: Juliette Binoche, William Shimell, Jean-Claude Carrière

'It'd be stupid of us to ruin our lives for an ideal.'
Interesting subject matter, reminded me at times of Orson Welles ‘Vérités et Mensonges’ F for Fake '73. The acting in multiple languages, very impressive by both of the leads. Tuscany is a magnificent filming location, hope to visit the region soon.

And I've seen Toy Story 3 but really don't remember much about it.

Seen 13/18
Ballot 2/25

Hints.. I'm in the same timezone as Paris and it wasn't actually midnight in Paris at the time of the hint.. so that leaves Before Midnight, About Time, 127 hours or Edge of Tomorrow??

The truth is in here
That's not the issue. This time there's a serious level of unfairness. This is a game, and games are supposed to be fair and fun.
I agree, I don't really like how this round's hints were handled either.

Re: The Hint: I get that, due to time zones, some of you would have a harder time being around for the hint than others, but my idea with this hint was to make it very difficult. Given how little time I left the hint up, it's not supposed to be an easy hint where everyone can easily view it. I probably won't reuse this hint idea again, but I just felt like using it this once.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
He doesn't want me to win, and I can't blame him.

Can you imagine me guessing the most hints for like the third countdown in a row!?!

88 points, 8 lists
The Martian
Director

Ridley Scott, 2015

Starring

Matt Damon, Jessica Chastain, Jeff Daniels, Sean Bean

89 points, 6 lists
The Turin Horse
Director

Ágnes Hranitzky, 2011

Starring

János Derzsi, Erika Bók, Mihály Kormos, Lajos Kovács

Re: The Hint: I get that, due to time zones, some of you would have a harder time being around for the hint than others, but my idea with this hint was to make it very difficult. Given how little time I left the hint up, it's not supposed to be an easy hint where everyone can easily view it. I probably won't reuse this hint idea again, but I just felt like using it this once.
For what it's worth though, nobody guessed the hints as you can see.

Trivia

The Martian - Matt Damon admitted that the scene where Mark was getting emotional upon hearing Commander Lewis' voice was genuine. The other actors had wrapped and gone home, and their pre-recorded voices were actually being played to Damon from inside his spacesuit. When Damon began to think about how his character had been all alone on Mars for two years, alongside how he was only hearing pre-recorded voices of his co-stars who had already finished their scenes, he began to tear up. Sir Ridley Scott was so impressed with Damon's performance, that he only did one take of the scene, which was used in the film.
The Turin Horse - After the opening monologue, there is no dialogue until 22 minutes into the film. Also, the movie consists of only 30 takes.

MoFo Reviewers

The Martian

So all in all its a good movie with heartwarming scenes and perfect casting in Matt Damon. But it doesn't take much risks.Its performance at 2015 oscars aside the message of team work and ignoring the differences is well conveyed. Supporting cast on space has nothing much to do but the cast on earth is very good. A simple way to explain this movie even though its a blockbuster is martian is like a fruit juice where as movies like the dark knight or wolf of wall street or revenant are more like drugs. You know they are bad for you but you can't help yourself but use them.And also something like frozen movie gives you happiness or a well made comedy.But you get the same thing by chatting with old friends or eating your favorite food or visiting a new place. Where as a cocktail of misogyny + masculinity + thrill + criminal behavior mix is something very rare. You can't get that in a Disney ride. You need something that only some movies can give.
Read the full review here.

The Turin Horse

But then it hit me: the horse is essentially Dorothy's hourglass, the meter by which to measure the patience and tolerance for the world that these two unfortunate souls live in. By the time we follow these two out in the windy world more often, we've practically resigned ourselves to the world around the characters and are fed up with the horse's antics. We don't need anymore reminders of just how hard life is, and that's exactly what the horse is: a pain in the neck trying to make some room among all the other pains. And by the time we change our tactics on how to handle pain, we've changed somehow, maybe by just accepting that life doesn't get any better than that. Even looking at that empty bottle of palinka tells us that we can't even hide away with alcohol.
Read the full review here.

mark f

The Martian (Ridley Scott, 2015)

Presumed dead and left behind, astronaut Matt Damon has to find ways to survive until he can communicate with NASA and await another manned mission to Mars.
The Turin Horse (Béla Tarr & Ágnes Hranitzky, 2011)
Neither film made mark f's ballot.

I like The Martian quite a bit. Very fun movie. I think it would probably land right in this range if I made a 100 list.

Turin Horse was my number 10. Few movies are this bleak and beautiful at the same time. Absolutely fantastic film. I wasn’t expecting it to show, so it’s a great reveal day for Sean.

I enjoyed The Martian in the theaters, but the more I think about it, the more I feel I enjoyed it too much and that the film was actually far more bland than I remember it being, both in terms of the characters, suspense, and the feelings of hope and isolation it attempts to convey. When it came out, there was a lot of hype around it being Scott's best film in many years, so that might have helped my expectations a bit. However, I haven't thought about it much since and I've felt no desire to rewatch it. Like, I might get to it someday, but that's very low on my to-do list.

I enjoyed The Turin Horse when I first saw it, but that was a while ago, so I don't remember how much its themes and sculpting in time approach clicked with me at the time. It was the first film I saw from Bela Tarr when I watched it though, so having seen two of his films since then, I have a feeling I'd be able to have more of a handle on its approach if I were to rewatch it.

Reply to Topic