The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

90. A Separation (2011, Asghar Farhadi) 83 points - Really good film. Clever script by a great director.
89. Jojo Rabbit (2019, Taika Waititi) 84 points - Can't bring myself to watch it, don't get on with Waititi films much nowadays.
88. The Cabin in the Woods (2012, Drew Goddard) 85 points - I think I've seen this, not my thing, remember it gets a bit ridiculous
87. The Artist (2011, Michel Hazanavicius) 88 points - Never seen it
86. 1917 (2019, Sam Mendes) 88 points - Good film, slightly overrated
85. Deadpool (2016, Tim Miller) 88 points - Never seen it, doesn't look like my type of film.

None were on my ballot.

Bonus faildictions:
84. Who Killed Captain Alex?
83. Spring Breakers

Hints:

This was a nomination in the Group Watch thread for this countdown (you can only guess one film).

From the youtube comments:
"It sucks when you're watering your lawn and you suddenly get a poison ninja dart to the back of the neck.

For those who say they didn't see a ninja in that scene.... EXACTLY!"

84. Too early for Capernaum so it must be; Ernest & Celestine.

83. What Allaby said.. Fences.

Morena Baccarin is fine and Deadpool = cool. I have it @ #108.
There are ten War related films on my top 200 of the 2010s and 1917 is not one of them.

Seen 11/16
Ballot 2/25

88 points, 7 lists
Certified Copy
Director

Abbas Kiarostami, 2010

Starring

Juliette Binoche, William Shimell, Jean-Claude Carričre, Agathe Natanson

88 points, 7 lists
Toy Story 3
Director

Lee Unkrich, 2010

Starring

Tom Hanks, Tim Allen, Joan Cusack, Don Rickles

Trivia

Certified Copy - During a visit in Tehran by Juliette Binoche, Abbas Kiarostami told Binoche the synopsis of Certified Copy as a casual anecdote, which she said that she fully believed until he confessed to having made it up. According to Kiarostami, studying the reactions of Binoche as she listened to the story was a vital part of the film's further development.
Toy Story 3 - Tom Hanks and Tim Allen insisted that they record their lines together, which they had previously done for one day during the making of the original Toy Story (1995), but which is rarely done with animated films. They loved the chemistry their characters shared on-screen.

MoFo Reviewers

Certified Copy

The film grows by narrative echoes. These little details, suggest something deeper or completely spin the story in a totally new direction depending on how authentic they were. This constant playfulness between the real and the imagined produces a kind of delicate vertigo that makes certain scenes in the film quite stirring.
Read the full review here.

Toy Story 3

In my opinion the Toy Story trilogy has gotten stronger with each movie. Toy Story 3 takes the story in a different direction, and this time its more imaganitive than ever. With the same Pixar magic as its predecessors Toy Story again offers a story of warth, humour, and emotion. The movie delivers a little bit of everything for all agers, and even tho its a tad more serious than the previous movies its still so damn fun.
Read the full review here.

mark f

Certified Copy (Abbas Kiarostami, 2010)
Toy Story 3 was one of the best films of its year - a very good film - but it didn't make my list.
Neither film made mark f's ballot.

Not seen Certified Copy, saw Toy Story 3 many, many moons ago and thought it was decent enough but wasn't one I thought about for my own ballot.

Seen: 14/18 (Own: 8/18)
My ballot:  

Faildictions  

A system of cells interlinked
Seen 11/18

No votes for me regarding the holiday weekend run of films. My favorites of the bunch are Toy Story 3 and 1917.

Certified Copy is well acted and fairly interesting, but it didn't blow me away. Toy Story 3 is actually my least favourite of the Toy Story films.

Seen: 16/18

Haven't seen Certified Copy but I recently watched Irma Vep which I loved, so that has my curiosity.

Edit: Ignore me, I thought it was from Assayas but I can see it isn't. Need to get to Kiarostami so it still has my interest

Didn't like Toy Story 3 at all.

Man, I feel like the Grinch over here

13/18 seen.

Toy Story 3 was #10 on the MoFo Top 100 Animated Films as well as #29 on the MoFo Top 100 of the Millennium.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Reply to Topic