The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Of the last few day's of reveals only one has been on my ballot. I adore The Artist. I was already a fan of the filmmaking team from the hilariously brilliant early '60s spy spoof OSS-117: Cairo, Nest of Spies (2006). When I heard Michel Hazanavicius and his stars Jean Dujardin & Bérénice Bejo were coming to America to make a love letter to Silent films I was intrigued. When I got to see it I was taken by how much pathos was baked into the witty homage. I saw it five or six times theatrically during its initial runs then cheered it on through awards season. It was easy to slot it into my top ten. It landed sixth on my ballot, good for twenty of its eighty-eight points.

HOLDEN PIKE’S LIST
6. The Artist (#87)
21. Room (#97)
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I forgot the opening line.
I just posted my thoughts on A Separation. I'm with you and imagine just not as many people have seen it. I hadn't even heard of it and I found it streaming on Criterion Online last night.

The Artist I'm going to watch tonight I think here in a bit. It looks like it's on Prime.

Keep em' coming. Also do we know how many of these are on streaming? I couldn't find Cabin in the Woods or Jojo Rabbit. I know the Man From Nowhere was on Netflix - years ago when I watched it and I really liked it too, but so far the only movie that made my list is my #10, The Witch.
The Cabin in the Woods should be on Amazon and Stan, along with being rentable on YouTube. Jojo Rabbit is also on Amazon, and available for rent on YouTube.

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

"The Darkest Hour" was my #26, my last cut.

The Darkest Hour (2011) or Darkest Hour (2017)?

Has anyone seen Dustin Lee's Darkest Hour/Dunkirk mashup Finest Hour? It works beautifully as one story.

The Darkest Hour (2011) or Darkest Hour (2017)?

Has anyone seen Dustin Lee's Darkest Hour/Dunkirk mashup Finest Hour? It works beautifully as one story.
Darkest Hour (2017) as nobody voted for the 2011 film.

Darkest Hour (2017) as nobody voted for the 2011 film.

I figured, but John Dumbear posted this: "The Darkest Hour" was my #26, my last cut." So I'm not 100% sure which one that refers to.

I need to watch The Artist again. Haven't seen it since release.

Haven't seen A Separation but have heard it mentioned quite a bit. One day.

Jo Jo Rabbit is one I'm very interested in but haven't seen yet.

Cabin in the Woods is one I really, really want to see and even have the DVD but just haven't taken the time to pop it in.

The Artist---I don't know. After it won Best Picture I was intrigued but have kind of lost interest. I won't shoot it down if I get the chance, though. No votes all around so far.

Yep and how it was shot to, from a bit of a distance in a single frame with backs slightly turned, almost like we're an uninvited guest witnessing it from a distance and then he just breaks down - it's the one time he's alone enough to let it out. I don't know a lot about Iranian culture, but I imagine men crying is frowned upon (correct me if I'm wrong on this).

I watched it last night.

I really, really "liked" A Seperation, not that it's a film that one enjoys because it's so devastating. It did feel contrived I would say in terms of how many bad things can happen to the son (SPOILERS) - his father with alzheimers, wife leaving him, accusations against him of murder for the miscarriage, and his own self doubt as to whether or not his action caused it, not to mention the ensuing threats and fears for his daughter's life. It did feel contrived in a sense that it was just one hardship and drama after another, BUT it works perfectly I think, and it gives the story time enough to dwell on the nature and motives of the characters that we get to know them and I think each and every character was sympathetic - especially the hotheaded father who lost his job and now his unborn child.

There's a lot going on in it for sure and I thought it was beautifully acted without any scene-chewing "Oscar bait" performances that tend to occupy American dramas of this nature. It didn't make my top 25, naturally because I hadn't even heard of it until these forums and list, but I can easily make the case for it being one of the best 100 films of the 2010s.

Also handheld camerawork can be hit and miss for me, but a film I kept being reminded of with the camera work was 21 Grams.

One last thing... (SPOILER)

I really, REALLY appreciate that it avoided telling us who the daughter picked to have custody over her, and thought that following the parents out of the room with the space between them and then rolling the credits was a great, great choice!
Glad you liked it. It's been a while since I saw it and I don't remember the details, but I do remember being very impressed by it and rating it highly, so I had to have it on my list.

I really, REALLY appreciate that it avoided telling us who the daughter picked to have custody over her, and thought that following the parents out of the room with the space between them and then rolling the credits was a great, great choice!
Yes, I remember loving the ambiguity and the fact there was no artificial "good vs evil" dynamic - it was just a story about real people and their lives, simple but complex at the same time.

Bonus faildictions:
86. Taking Stock
85. Westwood (2018)

88 points, 6 lists
Director

Sam Mendes, 2019

Starring

George MacKay, Dean-Charles Chapman, Mark Strong, Andrew Scott

88 points, 7 lists
Deadpool
Director

Tim Miller, 2016