The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

87. Once Upon a time in Hollywood
Surely not this low?

Maybe something like The Act of Killing for the first one, as an alternative to all the suggestions we've already had.

Bonus faildictions...
88. Slasher Party
87. Cameraperson

I'm having a hard time thinking up one for 88 (The Act of Killing might be the best, creative guess), so I'm going with what's not on there:

88. The Babadook
87. Berberian Sound Studio

85 points, 9 lists
The Cabin in the Woods
Director

Drew Goddard, 2012

Starring

Kristen Connolly, Fran Kranz, Jesse Williams, Anna Hutchison

88 points, 5 lists
The Artist
Director

Michel Hazanavicius, 2011

Starring

Jean Dujardin, Bérénice Bejo, John Goodman, James Cromwell

As for the Cabin in the Woods hint, I was trying to see if I could use reverse psychology to trick you all. Regardless, Apex got both points.

Trivia

The Cabin in the Woods - During the lake scene, the only student not to jump into the lake is Marty, who remains fully clothed on the dock. This was partially due to Fran Kranz noticeably being in as good, if not better, shape than the other male students. In the commentary for the film, the writers joke that he was "ripped like muscular Jesus" and assert that if Marty were shown being that fit it would ruin the character. This is partly also why Marty wears baggier clothes than the other students.
The Artist - The film is shot with 22 FPS (frames per second). When played at the standard 24 FPS, the action becomes slightly accelerated. Most silent films were shot with 14 to 24 FPS, which makes many of these films appear "faster" in motion when played on modern projection equipment at 24 FPS. When sound films were introduced, the frame rate was standardized at 24 FPS to make it possible to sync the sound with the images.

I'll be succinct here...

I thought The Cabin in the Woods was decent when I first saw it but hate it now.

The Artist I find to be a decent enough movie with a bit of charm but I never understood the high praise.

Both are very derivative and style over substance for me.

Seen 11/14.

Cabin in the Woods was on my list. I’ve put it on previous ballots too where appropriate. Just one of my favorites all around.

The Artist is a fine movie. I don’t have a lot of experience with or nostalgia for the silent film era, if things were different perhaps I’d connect with it more.

MoFo Reviewers

The Cabin in the Woods

What I think made this so enjoyable was that it happily met all of those tropes head on, took great pleasure in making us think we were watching that film again, and then joyously went and did something else. The creepy isolated cabin, the drunk and debaucherous teenagers, the virgin/ brain/ stoner/ athlete/ slut friendship group, the local weirdo warning of bad things to come, zombies, and then comes this whole other angle of satire, humour and self awareness to give us one of the funniest and goriest good times in years. Loads of fun, and a great start to my horror marathon!
Read the full review here.

The Artist

Many people weren't really happy when this film won the Oscar for Best Picture, because they thought the film merely won, because it was silent. I strongly disagree. This film may have gotten a lot of attention, because it was pretty courageous to make a silent film in these ages, but next to that, The Artist is just a very VERY well made film. It's imbued with love for the classic era of cinema and playfully uses its genre in a whole bunch of very creative and extremely enjoyable scenes.
Read the full review here.

The Cabin in the Woods was #20 on my ballot.

It looks like The Cabin in the Woods was widely voted for with 9 lists whereas The Artist has more cult following with 5 lists.

mark f

Cabin in the Woods (Drew Goddard, 2012)
The Artist (Michel Hazanavicius, 2011)

Silent film idols Jean Dujardin and his trusty dog Uggie hit the skids when the talkies take over, while up-and-comer Bérénice Bejo, who became famous kissing the former, makes it big with the changeover to sound.
Neither film made mark f's ballot.

I watched Cabin In The Woods for this list and it was the chore I figured it would be when it was first released.

I have seen The Artist twice now. It’s very good and clever but was never in contention for my list.

The Cabin in the Woods is very good. It didn't make my ballot, but it was one of the horror films in contention for such. It's one of the most go-into-it horror films I've ever seen. It's the kind of horror film which is hard to write about without spoiling what makes it so great. So, I'm just going to cut it short here and urge you all to check it out if you haven't done so.

As for The Artist, I thought it was pretty good. Here's what i wrote on it earlier this year:

I thought of giving this a 3.5/5, but I decided to give it a 4. It's a well-crafted and moving story (though one with few surprises) and the amount of effort put into it to resemble a silent film makes it a nice throwback to such, but it didn't quite provide enough for me to love it. I enjoyed some of the visuals, like the montage of Miller's name moving up in the credits, or the hallucinatory scenes which get into Valentin's headspace (the miniatures in the bar were a highlight). Also, the dog's scenes were pretty much all cute. However, I felt these aspects were underutilized and that the movie was just throwing me a bone from time to time. Still though, I found the final act very moving and the same goes for a few scenes which came before that, so I still enjoyed the film quite a bit. Also, bonus points for including a nightmare scene which doesn't feel unnecessary but actually acts as an omen for Valentin's future struggles, seeing how he's unable to "keep up" with the sounds.

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I've seen The Cabin in the Woods twice in theatres but am unsure if I've seen it at all since then (I know I own it on DVD). Definitely dug it at first, but I get the impression that I'd like it a whole lot less if I watched it now. I've seen The Artist once and liked it but I never feel like revisiting it so who knows what I'd make of it now.

Reply to Topic