The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

I forgot the opening line.
I like A Separation for 90 and Bad Education for 89.

If you don't hear from me again it means I couldn't think of anything better - but I'm trying...

Latest Review : Le Circle Rouge (1970)

Well, that's how I feel about most shows. They are almost all way too long, they meander and wander into characters and events that I do not care about to fill their allotted episodes, and I find the whole undertaking pretty grueling. I made it through one season of The Sopranos, five episodes of Breaking Bad
Dude, you gave up way too early on that one...

I don't come online for one day, and I have to catch up with 12 pages

Haven't watched It follows & Anomolisa

I have no Superhero movies on my list. They were all late cuts, but Civil War is one of my absolute favourites.

At a time when superhero movies showed them mindlessly ravaging through cities while fighting with their enemies, this movie addressed the consequences of their actions, which I thought was interesting.

It had a villain with no powers & his takedown of the group is believable.
Lastly, despite attempting to be a thoughtful film it managed to sneak in an elaborate fight sequence that was absolute fun.
It isn't perfect, but Civil War is one the finest movies from Marvel.

The VVitch was my 18.
The last decade was a good decade for horror and you could name several movies (and series) that reformed the genre and made them more than just jump-scares stories.
The VVitch was one of them. It's so unsettling, creepy and atmospheric, and does a great job in taking us back to those times. It's one of the best folk horror movies I have watched.

I am not a paintings man, but I discovered Joseph Tomanek's painting which reminds me of a scene from the movie, and I absolutely love that painting now.

Okay, a little late for the past four but here goes:

Captain America: Civil War This one and Winter Soldier are my two favorites out of all the MCU movies. The tension between Tony Stark and Steve Rogers is very moving; the funny geeking out from Scott Lang (Ant-Man) and Peter Parker (Spider-Man) at all the super-heroes; the revelation of the truth about Tony's parents death; the wounding of Rhoades; the unexpected villain of the whole piece and his justification for turning the Avengers against each other; Stan Lee's cameo as the FedEx driver and his line: "Are you Tony Stank?" and Rhoadie's bemused reaction to that. Plus the action, there's that also. So much to love about this one. Didn't vote it for despite considering it.

It Follows I really loved this horror movie with a different slant than most in the genre. Not knowing who the entity is going to appear as and sometimes having a very short time to get away. The audience seeing the person carrying the entity approaching in the distance before our leading lady Jay (a terrific Maika Monroe) does is truly nerve-wracking. Really dug this movie and the tension it brought. Didn't vote for it.

Anomalisa I'd heard of this in passing but really didn't realize it was a stop-motion movie until its entry here on the list. I'm a stop-motion fan so I'll most likely get around to seeing this one. No vote.

The Witch Saw this and thought it was outstanding and original, which is something you just don't get in this day and age from Hollywood. Although I had seen her in another film before this one, Anya Taylor-Joy's performance here proved right out of the gate that she was a talent to watch. I've tried to see everything she's done and am still catching up. The movie itself didn't scare me but does what I think horror should do and that's unsettle you. It really unsettled me, making me jumpy and there were a few moments that made me sick and a few that horrified me
WARNING: """ spoilers below
like the revelation of the baby's fate. That moment alone took some guts from Eggers and it was a minor miracle that more people didn't abandon the movie at that point.
The acting from the rest of the cast, particularly the second-oldest child played by Harvey Scrimshaw, especially when he is brought back from the woods and is phenomenal in his last scene. Man, the only other horror film that unsettled me like this was The Exorcist and like that movie, I will not watch this one again. Although it did its job, I don't like being rattled in this way. Still, an excellent film. Didn't get my vote although I thought about it.

90. Zootopia
89. Bad Teacher

WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
I do like the Bad Education answer others offered for #89...just wanted to try for that point for being first.

90. Zootopia
89. Bad Teacher

WARNING: "Spoiler" spoilers below
I do like the Bad Education answer others offered for #89...just wanted to try for that point for being first.

Zootopia is a nice guess

Room I disliked too. Like a TV movie just with competent performances and emotional/exploitative themes. Not my type of film at all.
Oh, so it's like Silence Of The Lambs then?

I'm telling you, these movies could be the stars of a show called 'Movies I Don't Care About.'
Careful HL, it's starting to sound like you're heading to the HK path. Which I'm fine with, I'd appreciate the company, but it's probably not something you'd want to do.

Hereditary is borderline bad. Western.

The Man from Nowhere is very good. Asian
I've translated for those who don't speak Minio.

Well, that's how I feel about most shows. They are almost all way too long, they meander and wander into characters and events that I do not care about to fill their allotted episodes, and I find the whole undertaking pretty grueling. I made it through one season of The Sopranos, five episodes of Breaking Bad, and of course, the entire 70 grueling hours of Game Of Thrones, which I can never get back.
You can't get any time back, regardless of whether you enjoyed it or not. I know that's not really what you meant, it's just a pet peeve of mine as a criticism. A bit like someone sayiing, I can't believe this still happens/we're still talking about this in 2022 (or whatever year it is when they say it)

I don't come online for one day, and I have to catch up with 12 pages
I hadn't been on here for 3 days (I think) so you can imagine how I felt... Until I saw how much of it was just talk about MCU, then....

My previous comment about seen neither, care about neither stands for most of what's followed and I don't expect that to change. However, there have been a couple of exceptions with the latter part of that statement. I wouldn't mind seeing both The VVitch or It Follows (I've actually had It Follows for years but not watched it) and Hereditary isn't completely out of the question, either. It Follows is the one I'm most confident of liking, though I'm a sucker for an atmosphere, so if that works for me with either of the other two I might like them more.

There's been more horror that I'd have expected so far, but that feels more like getting it out of the way with very little coming after more than the start of a trend.

Will there be Christmas updates or are we taking a break for a day or two?

The film is an exploration of the emptiness of this kind of American dream, and a man who personifies it. His bad and ridiculous behaviour is a part of illustrating the story of his life and ultimate downfall (?).

It's at no point a film lacking in story. Dwelling in these very particular moments of his life is how it tells it.
Even if that was true, emptiness can still be more thoroughly explored without dragging it on for three hours. That's the kind of thing best left to slow cinema. Otherwise you just have a plethora of quick-pacwd scenes all doing the exact same thing: lightly going about a biopic while throwing it lots of hard R stuff.

83 points, 8 lists
A Separation
Director

Asghar Farhadi, 2011

Starring

Leila Hatami, Payman Maadi, Shahab Hosseini, Sare Bayat

84 points, 7 lists
Jojo Rabbit
Director

Taika Waititi, 2019

Starring

Roman Griffin Davis, Thomasin McKenzie, Scarlett Johansson, Taika Waititi

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
I'm to blame for not having A Separation a bit later into the countdown. Watched it last week and bumped it up pretty high.

Jojo is only ok for me.

Trivia

A Separation - Director Asghar Farhadi's first idea for the movie was the image of a man washing his father, who had Alzheimer's. He built the rest of the film around that scene.
Jojo Rabbit - Taika Waititi discovered in his research that WWII Germany was very vibrant and fashionable, and was interested in shying away from traditional war films showing it as dreary and dark, instead presenting the town as a seemingly celebratory place and dressing characters as stylishly as possible. He liked the idea that everything seems happy, but just underneath the surface "the third Reich is crumbling, and, you know, the dream is over."

Will there be Christmas updates...?
Christmas update:
It's tomorrow.
(the things I do to be helpful on here)

Welcome to the human race...
No votes. I've seen A Separation once and thought it was pretty good, maybe not as great as the consensus but I'm probably due for a rewatch that'll more than likely push its complex and impactful drama even higher in my estimation. I've seen Jojo Rabbit twice and I really, really don't like it. Not like you can't try to wring comedy out of Nazi Germany and the Holocaust, but Waititi's attempt is all kinds of terrible (especially once it tries ditching the laughs and actually trying to tug on your heartstrings). A new low point for the countdown.

MoFo Reviewers

A Seperation

Asghar Farhadi and his crew were able to assemble a fantastic cast, that brought the story's tragic characters to life, in such a beautiful way. It is pretty rare to have the entire participants of a project do their jobs to the fullest, and that clearly shows in this feature, I seriously can't even pick a stand-out performance due to how equally well everyone appeared.
Read the full review here.

Jojo Rabbit

Did this movie go to far? Hell no! There ain't nothing offensive here, it ain't that kind of movie. I mean have people forgotten TV's Hogan's Heros, where Allied prisoners in a Nazi prison camp were played just for laughs and the Nazis were sillier than snot...Or what about Charlie Chaplin's The Great Dictator, which gave us funny Nazis while showing the world the dangers of a dictatorship way back in 1940.
Read the full review here.

We've gone on holiday by mistake
I really need to watch Jojo Rabbit.

Two I've not seen, nothing against either just haven't crossed my path yet. Really thought Jojo would be higher.

Seen: 10/12 (Own: 6/12)
My ballot:  

Faildictions  

mark f

I wasn't able to find anything he wrote for A Separation.

Jojo Rabbit (Taika Waititi, 2019)
- 7/10

Jojo (Roman Griffin Davis) and Hitler (Taika Waititi) are best buds.
Neither film made mark f's ballot.

Reply to Topic