The MoFo Top 100 of the 2010s Countdown

→ in
Tools    

Yeah, pretty much this. I love that you put "happy" in quotations because that's essentially the thing. The lives of Jack and his mom are forever shattered; not that they will never be "happy", but there are some undeniable scars that they're gonna have to deal with all their lives, and when you put that in the perspective of an innocent child, it's heartbreaking.
Exactly. And I think that part of why this hits me is that I consume a lot of movies (horror/thriller/action) where a "happy" conclusion just means that the main character and maybe some of the supporting characters survive. But there is a lot more that comes after survival. I thought that Room did a good job of showing just how mixed that aftermath would be without feeling preachy or condemning people who might be fascinated by such stories.

Plus, I know others have mentioned this, but I really love the way that they de-center the kidnapper/rapist. It doesn't matter why he did it, or the details of how. We are shown enough to understand the "normal" (routines, vocabulary) of the room, and that's all we need.

Exactly. And I think that part of why this hits me is that I consume a lot of movies (horror/thriller/action) where a "happy" conclusion just means that the main character and maybe some of the supporting characters survive. But there is a lot more that comes after survival. I thought that Room did a good job of showing just how mixed that aftermath would be without feeling preachy or condemning people who might be fascinated by such stories.

Plus, I know others have mentioned this, but I really love the way that they de-center the kidnapper/rapist. It doesn't matter why he did it, or the details of how. We are shown enough to understand the "normal" (routines, vocabulary) of the room, and that's all we need.
Yep. Another film could've ended right after the escape, with Jack and his mother living "happily ever after", and it would've been a perfectly functional thriller/drama... and still, this one forces us to look beyond and, like you said, deal with the aftermath.

I saw this shortly after release and it hit me hard. If I were to rewatch it, now that I have two kids, I'm sure it would wreck me.

A system of cells interlinked
Yep. Another film could've ended right after the escape, with Jack and his mother living "happily ever after", and it would've been a perfectly functional thriller/drama... and still, this one forces us to look beyond and, like you said, deal with the aftermath.

I saw this shortly after release and it hit me hard. If I were to rewatch it, now that I have two kids, I'm sure it would wreck me.
I have been hesitant to watch this because I have a young daughter... I guess i just need to suck it up and watch it, though. Seems like it should be seen at least once!

I have been hesitant to watch this because I have a young daughter... I guess i just need to suck it up and watch it, though. Seems like it should be seen at least once!
I find it to be a very empathetic film and ultimately I think that it is hopeful, especially for the child character.

81 points, 6 lists
Captain America: Civil War
Director

Joe Russo, 2016

Starring

Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., Scarlett Johansson, Sebastian Stan

82 points, 8 lists
It Follows
Director

David Robert Mitchell, 2015

Starring

Maika Monroe, Keir Gilchrist, Daniel Zovatto, Jake Weary

Trivia

Captain America: Civil War - The day before filming a fight scene with Robert Downey Jr., Sebastian Stan sent him a video of himself doing intense bicep curls in front of the decapitated head of an Iron Man suit. He attached the message, "Looking forward to our scene tomorrow Robert."
It Follows - The time frame of the movie is intentionally kept undefined so that it resembles a dream. Some of the cars shown are from more recent times. Many appear to be from the '60s to late '80s. Early CRT television sets are shown whenever the characters are watching movies. Conflicting technology includes Yara on a device that looks like a shell compact, but she reads from it like an e-book reader and uses it as a light source at one point. Also, the girl at the beginning of the film uses a cellphone and drives a modern automobile, with several modern vehicles in view.

Not seen either. Not a fan of the superhero films so I've not heard of 'Captain America Civil War'. 'It Follows' looks like fun though and I have heard of it, so might watch that soon.

MoFo Reviewers

Captain America: Civil War

Captain America: Civil War is my favorite Captain America film and my favorite Marvel film that is not an Avengers movie. It has everything you're looking for in a Marvel film. It has great action, a great story, great drama, twists and turns, and a chance to see all your favorite Marvel heroes (minus two) together in an epic piece of cinema. It was an excellent film to kick off Marvel's Golden Run of films that kept getting better and better. It grew our favorite heroes and took them to greater heights. It set the pieces in place for what was to come and is a film I would go back to repeatedly. It has its place in Marvel history and deservedly so. If I had to recommend any Marvel film, it would be this one. If you're new to the MCU, this is a must-see film and what I think is a true Marvel comic come to life. Do yourself a favor and check it out to see for yourself.
Read the full review here.

It Follows

The disturbing thing is that this *presence* "could look like someone you know or it could be a stranger in a crowd. Whatever helps it get close to you", which obviously makes it all the more difficult to avoid. Even though Jake shares some thoughts about how you can be "free" of it, there's no assurance. Its arrival is, well, certain and there's little they can do about it.
Read the full review here.

mark f

Captain America: Civil War (Russo Bros., 2016)
+

What’s this? What’s this? Spider-Boy?
It Follows (David Robert Mitchell, 2015)

”Grandma, is that you? Why are you wearing a hospital robe and following me at my school? What are you, you bitch?” might be going through Maika Monroe’s head about now.
Neither film made mark f's ballot.

Seen both; both serviceable; neither anywhere near making my ballot.

Seen: 8/8 (Own: 5/8)
My ballot:  

Faildictions  

I think Civil War is surprising, I'd expect Winter Soldier. Then it should be somewhere in the list too. But I like both of them and Civil War was really fun to watch. It was very pleasing to see Spider-Man in MCU and the movie was a good adaptation to the comic in my opinion. At least Russo brothers did the best possible in that period of MCU and superhero movies. But Civil War was not in my list.

I haven't seen It Follows. I heard it many times. Then I have

2/8 Seen
1/8 in my list

I watched Captain America: Civil War in the theaters. I don't remember caring much for it, but I also don't remember much about the film. So much of Marvel's output has such a same-y vibe that their films kind of blend together for me. So yeah, not a fan of Marvel and I was hoping for them not to show up here, but whatever. It is what it is.

I do like It Follows quite a bit though. Here's what i wrote on it awhile back. I don't agree with all my thoughts on the film and I've since come to realize the film is more complex than just being a parable of AIDS, but I'll post it anyways:

This one hit a number of my sweet spots for horror quite well. For one, I think the premise of it is brilliant. The idea of an unstoppable entity which you'll never be safe from regardless of how many people it's passed on to freaks me out. This was conveyed quite well throughout it all up to the brilliant ending which makes the film feel like a nightmare which you didn't wake up from. I also love the tone of the film, which is conveyed quite well in the cinematography. And with this, I'm not just referring to the occasional clever shot composition, but specifically the camera movements. Often when the camera moves and zooms in, it does so at a slow, creeping pace which, intentional or not, matches how the entity also moves at a slow, creeping pace. In addition, the couple 360 degrees rotations are impressive and do a fine job at raising tension. To top it off, some scares are delivered subtly as some creepy moments aren't even mentioned by the characters and can only be noticed if you pay close attention to various parts, making those scenes all the more disturbing. Finally, I also admire how, despite the low budget, the film looks really good (look at all the outdoor scenes in it). Some people argued that the film should've explained more about how the premise works (e.g., does anal sex, oral sex, sex without ejaculation, etc. infect you?). However, considering that it would take too much time to answer all the questions I've seen brought up on this aspect and considering how the film is a parable for AIDS, I prefer to just assume that if what you're doing could potentially give you AIDS in real life, the entity spreads to you.

Anyways, neither film made my ballot.

Well, if Civil War made it, that means a couple more MCU films than I predicted might probably sneak in. Anyway, it is a good film. The Captain America trilogy is easily the strongest for me within the universe (with The Winter Soldier being my #2 MCU film). But it's really no different than a bunch of their other films. I like the attempt at bringing real conflict within the group, but at the end of the day, that conflict is meaningless But it's a fun film, just not enough to be on my list.

It Follows is one I caught up with last year and I really liked it. You can read my review here, but overall, what I like is the constant atmosphere of dread it brings. Performances were pretty good, especially Maika Monroe in the lead, and I liked the way Mitchell used the camera. Still, it didn't make my list.

This is where I'm at so far...

Seen: 7/8

My ballot:  

None of the Captain America or Avengers films made my list.

It Follows was an interesting horror film. It didn’t make the cut either.

There is one movie that I overlooked when making my list, and that was Birdman. I’m kicking myself in the ass for excluding it.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

A system of cells interlinked
Have seen both, but neither made my list. If I had to pick a favorite trilogy in the MCU, it would probably be the Captain America stuff, but I never really considered any of these films for my ballot. I really liked It Follows the first time I saw it, but perhaps a bit less so on subsequent viewings. It's a good flick, but wasn't under consideration for my ballot.

Another cool little tidbit in that film is that the characters are shown playing a card game called Old Maid, a game which has the object of passing off an unwanted card, the old maid, to the other players.

Seen 5/8

I watched like half an hour of The Man from Nowwhere and very much enjoyed what I saw. But then the subtitles screwed up and I was unable to continue to watch it. I unfortunately have never returned to it.

I’m not on the hype wave of Hereditary. It was well enough made, but I wasn’t a fan. I also like it more in the beginning than the end.

Reply to Topic