Personal Recommendation Hall of Fame VI

Tools    

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
what a heartwarming, beautifully woven tale with exquisite cinematography.
Oh I am sooo pleased you liked Brief Encounter. I had a feeling you would. I nominated it once on a general hall of fame years ago and it wasn't very popular. It is an absolute classic though, and one of my favourites. And yes, the cinematography is indeed exquisite.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
It's a funky, sassy, and fun movie, even if I can't say it's very good. It really should be like The Rocky Horror Picture Show with midnight showings and audience participation. It's that kind of movie.
I think you've nailed it calling it 'funky, sassy and fun'. That is what I love about it, it's just fun. And Malcolm McDowell is brilliant. And Naomi Watts. I nominated this for you as there's not much you haven't seen, you seem pretty open minded when it comes to films and I thought you might have fun with it.

I think you've nailed it calling it 'funky, sassy and fun'. That is what I love about it, it's just fun. And Malcolm McDowell is brilliant. And Naomi Watts. I nominated this for you as there's not much you haven't seen, you seem pretty open minded when it comes to films and I thought you might have fun with it.
Yea I did have fun with it. Thank goodness they totally went for it instead of trying to play it remotely straight.

I don't think Tank Girl is a particularly good movie, but it's a ton of fun and I was always happy to watch it whenever it was on one of the movie networks. The film actually came up at work today, since we were joking about water, and I kind of want to watch it again now haha.

I don't think Tank Girl is a particularly good movie, but it's a ton of fun and I was always happy to watch it whenever it was on one of the movie networks. The film actually came up at work today, since we were joking about water, and I kind of want to watch it again now haha.
And I believe you had it as your second choice for me.

And I believe you had it as your second choice for me.
I did. Partly because there was a chance you might like some of it, but mainly because you've seen pretty much everything else.

Heathers (1989)
Directed by: Michael Lehmann
Starring: Winona Ryder, Christian Slater, Kim Walker

If I had known how morbid the plot of Heathers actually was, I probably would've watched it a long time ago. I was aware that it had an atypically dark tone for a teen comedy, but I wasn't quite expecting it to have a body count as well. Most of the dialogue is very cleverly written, but given how disinterested I am in standard high school drama, I was ready to turn the film off 20 minutes in. Luckily that's when events take a turn, and the story becomes far more intriguing.

I laughed out loud on a number of occasions, and I'm not quite sure why the mineral water bit landed as hard as it did, but I definitely cackled the longest at that. My engagement with the film did waver again in much of the second half, but I still appreciated how odd and unconventional the whole ordeal was. The dream sequence near the end came at just the right time, and it was so successful at recapturing my attention, that it even straightened my posture for the remaining duration of the film.

Many of the characters are just exaggerated stereotypes, but it works incredibly well for the tone and themes of the film. All the performances were exactly what they needed to be, especially for the more ridiculous minor roles. Winona Ryder is a great actress, but the perfect casting of Christian Slater had him stealing the show more often than not. Overall Heathers was a bit of a mixed bag for me, but it was still genuinely far more entertaining than I expected it to be, and will probably warrant a revisit at some point.

Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	heathers.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	88572  

So for Millennium Actress, there is the option for the Japanese or the US/English version. Does the nominator have a preference or recommendation as to which I watch?

So for Millennium Actress, there is the option for the Japanese or the US/English version. Does the nominator have a preference or recommendation as to which I watch?
I have an anime to watch 'Grave of the Fireflies' and found both English and Japanese language copies, but once I heard the Japanese characters speak in American English I went with Japanese language. I wish they would get native Japanese speaking voice actors to do the English version, then I might watch that....Oh, I didn't chose Millennium Actress for you.

I have an anime to watch 'Grave of the Fireflies' . . .
Excellent, but extremely sad. Similar sad Japanese anime is 1983's Barefoot Gen.

I highly recommend the original Japanese, but it's the only one I've seen so I cannot speak to the quality of the English version. To make matters worse, I think there might even be two English dubs now.

Even my room mate, who happily watches a lot of poorly dubbed anime, only owns a copy of Millennium Actress that is in Japanese with English subtitles, so that might be worth noting.

Excellent, but extremely sad. Similar sad Japanese anime is 1983's Barefoot Gen.
I'm OK with sad, thanks for mentioning Barefoot Gen. I'd never heard of it before, but I see Cricket has watched it. He's watched a lot.